User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2013, 11:06 AM   #1
mattlikesbikes OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
Spray tinting plastic

I am getting ready to sell an older bike that has seen a lot of time in the sun. This has yellowed the demi plastic windscreen. Removing the windscreen looks silly, so thinking about using spray brake light tint to just tint the yellow plastic to a greyish black.

Anyone tried this before? Will it help hide the yellow or make it worse?

Thanks

M
mattlikesbikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:28 PM   #2
Otis the Sasquatch
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,055
Not a bad idea, actually. Well, since nobody who's actually done it has answered yet....

I heard that it's hard to get a nice even finish on large, clear, surfaces. Any unevenness in the tint is not noticeable on a taillight lens, so that doesn't matter in that application. It would take a steady hand, and probably three-to-four thin coats. Also, the stuff is permanent. No turning back or removing it once it's dry.

Try VHT "Nightshades", or any one of those products, on a trashed windscreen first if you want to try your hand. Ask around at the local motorcycle shops to see if you can get a busted one to practice on. As in any painting, prep is the key.

I know (inside info, too long a story) that Nightshades is a mixture of Clear, Black, and..... a little Yellow. Don't know if that makes it better or worse to apply to a yellowed windscreen.

Otis

Fact is, I like roads. I like to move.
Harry Truman
Otis the Sasquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:20 AM   #3
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,412
Your post made me look that up and I found a few things "asked" by Elaine. Now I have to ask her if she put the question there. My sister that is.....!

http://www.howtocleanstuff.net/how-t...lowed-plastic/

Not really relevant anyway, that's for white plastics.

Interesting question, I spent a couple hours yesterday cleaning abrasion marks on PC. Very very ggod results with polishing compounds...Medium, Fine then Extra Fine. Turtle brand for the first twos and then Mothers Scratch remover for automotive paints.

Even scratched some scraps then wetsanded to 2000X which turned it cloudy and then repolished with the compounds.

I have another windscreen that's yellowed on the edges, if I have time in the next couple days I'll give the polishing a try if just to answer my sister's questions about her headlights.

Much cheaper the polishing compounds than dedicated products such as "Novus" and so far much better results.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:44 AM   #4
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,412
And back with more, had to remember something first....

Someone on here had used Ritt Dye to tint a windscreen to good effects. A little Google took me to the airplane guys and a recipe.May depend on type of plastics and may not be all that permanent.

http://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/s...t=72888&page=2

Cheap the Tintex....I'll pick some up tomorow at the grocery store if just to satisfy myself on scrap pieces. Could be interesting, Tintex comes in many colors.