Hey DaFoole, thanks man. wait till you see the fog we encountered
warp9man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 05:53 PM   #47
warp9man OP
Gravel in my Travel

Oddometer: 552
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubl-A View Post
Great ride report so far! Be safe man and keep us updated!

hopefully the next installment will be tomorrow, thanks for following.
Old 02-26-2013, 05:59 PM   #48
warp9man OP
Gravel in my Travel

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Walrus View Post
Very eventful ride.....great pics.....great report......

One of my buddies did a prepaid ride through Baja Norte'....his experience was expensive but well guided and the bikes were kept in tip top condition....I've ridden north to south BOLA, San Francisquito, El Arco and I thought the section from BOLA to SF was the most challenging due to sand....how did you feel about it? I wonder how many options there are, your tracks would be great. Can you post your route or a Google/Bing map link?

You got some interesting weather, can you imagine the hurricane conditions............
Hey Walrus, i cant imagine the Hurricane that came thru baja. the water levels and damage done in Mulege was crazy. but guess what there was no goverment bail out, just all the locals pitching in to get there town fixed up.

i agree the sand sections between San Franisquito and Bay Of LA were pretty bad 2 up. luckily it rained and mad the sand more tolerable. the cactus around El Arco are massive!

the only vechicle we seen on that whole section of 150 mile dirt roads was the truck that rescued dave and his bike and took him into town. what are the chances of that? lucky him/us on that deal.

id love to share my tracks, ill try to upload that section shortly.
Old 02-27-2013, 03:36 PM   #49
warp9man OP
Gravel in my Travel

Day 16 – January 27, 2013

I wake up to Dad knocking on the door at about 6:30am again, lol. Of course we are still asleep. They want to get on the road so they are going to head out. They plan to go up MX 3 to Tecate as well. Dad knows we will most likely catch up to them later. .

It’s raining again…bummer… We check the weather forecast to see if it’s going to clear up any time soon. Not really. No point in delaying…we might as well get up.

We get packed and decide to just eat some of the food we have with us so we don’t have to get in and out of our rain gear again.

We get on the road a little before 8am.

We have a nice ride up the prettier sections of Ensenada coastline heading north.

Still alot of standing water around.

We turn off onto MX 3 and have some great riding.
Unfortunately the rain is coming down hard so Patty can’t get any pictures for a couple hours.

Somewhere near or just past Valle De Guadalupe (I think) we spot John, Jacque and Dave’s motorcycles in front of a little restaurant. We debate briefly on whether we are going to stop and then decide we are hungry so I make a U-turn and head back.
We are happy that the rain has stopped for a minute.

We chat with the group as they are finishing up breakfast. Patty and I grab a pizza. John and Dave are telling me that they are going to Algodones to meet with a dentist today. They plan to ride with Jacque and cross the border in Tecate. She is anxious to get back on “American roads”. She is not very fond of the Baja highway maintenance, lack of shoulders and signage. They will all cross the border, cut across I-8, then John and Dave will head south to Mexico, while Jacque continues on to Yuma.

We all get finished and get ready to leave. Dad says he will just meet us in Yuma tonight. Dave, John and Jacque head out.

We leave just shortly after and head north.

We pass the others and make our way into the twisties! It is awesome fun. I have to be careful with the wet roads and wish we could see more. What we can see looks pretty amazing. We are rolling thru the hill with lots of vineyards around. This would be fantastic on a sunny day!

We are climbing and I can see that we are heading up into a cloud/fog bank layer.

We keep climbing up into the fog layer. This could be a bummer.

It clears for a bit and I have hope, maybe we just skirt the fog?

Sweet... maybe it is gone!

Nope....We are soon in this dense misty wet fog. Visibility is not great.

OK...This pretty much sucks.. but somehow freakishly cool too.

Patty grabs this video before the mist makes the camera angry.

I’m more worried about someone slamming into me. I turn every light on the KTM. I see a few cars go past with their hazard lights on and think that is a brilliant idea so I turn those on too. It looks like stunning scenery, when we actually get to see it. The mist is pissing the camera off so Patty can’t get much for pictures as we motor on.

It seemed like we didn’t go very far and soon we are in a town. I’m not paying too much attention to the Zumo, just following the directions. It takes me up a street with a bunch of hazard cones across it so we can’t go down it? It takes a minute before we figure out we are IN Tecate and AT the border! The Zumo shows all the streets to get to the border crossing but they are all blocked off. We head east trying to find a street that is not barricaded. After several blocks I decide this is stupid and just ride between the barricades!

There is no line at the border at all, maybe 4 cars. They still flag us down to the front of the line…sweet! Maybe because it is still raining? One bored Mexican guard stops us and has us get off the bike? Then another one comes over. They want to go thru all the saddlebags. They even have me remove the seat? Weird? The strangest part was Mexican guards were not searching a single car? I guess we look like we can smuggle a lot, lol. Isn’t the USA supposed to search you on the way in? Anyway we get to the USA border agent, she checks our passports, asks the standard questions and sends us on our way. It took maybe 10 mins.

The official end of our Baja Adventure. We finish our ride Stateside.

We continue to have great scenery all the way up to I-8.

A tourist train that runs thru a little town.

Cool Train trussel. Maybe it's for the train we passed earlier?

The weather is starting to clear up. As soon as we hit I-8 we are in a notorious windy section. Not a big deal but sometimes annoying. We have lots of gusty cross winds but it is getting sunny and warm. We stop in El Centro for gas and continue to Yuma. We arrive back in Yuma about 2pm.

In Yuma we find out from Grandpa that Jacque called and was rather scared in the high winds on I-8 and got separated from John and Dave. She ended up riding on the shoulder of I-8 with her hazards on at a lower speed where she was more comfortable (partly due to her ribs killing her).

John and Dave went to Algodones. Jacque stopped in Yuma to get her ribs checked out from her fall a few days earlier and confirmed 2 ribs were broken.

We packed up, ran some errands, grabbed a bite to eat and did not see the rest of the group til after 7pm.

Dave has plans to fly out early the next morning and we are a day behind schedule and have to get home tomorrow as well. I won’t bore you with the details of that.

We had quite the adventure, seen a lot of new places and made some great memories!

*Extra Kudos to Jacque! She just started riding motorcycles at age 58 and now at age 60 she had the drive and courage to go on this ride.*

If She Can Do It, What’s Stopping You?
Old 02-28-2013, 10:02 AM   #50
JacqueTanis
Sassy

Oddometer: 11
Well ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgunn View Post
This is a mega adventure...Two up on a KTM, bad weather and Dave surely wants to see Mexico in his rear view mirror.

Your a tough bunch
Well, maybe four of us can be included in a "Tough Bunch". I'm the marshmallow of the group. As an inexperienced, slowwwww, scared of strong gusts of heavy wind, deep gravel, sand and mud I pretty much held everyone up and slowed our progress down considerably. I fell in the sand, in the gravel and in the mud ... thankfully I had a husband, son and daughter-in-law who were patient and encouraging. They took care of me and pretty much babied me all the way, although I'm sure there was some major frustration that they were careful not to show.

Hmmmmm, does driving 780 miles with two broken ribs qualify me for the "Tough Bunch Club" LOL
JacqueTanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:12 AM   #51
vintagespeed
fNg

Oddometer: 1,552
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacqueTanis View Post
...does driving 780 miles with two broken ribs qualify me for the "Tough Bunch Club" LOL
hell yes it does, well done!

great report all of you, thanks for sharing. i've been trying to get to baja for years and my buddies always seem to sway me with the "danger" talk. my mind is set though, after TAT this year and the EDR next, it's baja time. then maybe Alaska....

TAT-2013: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=913898
SoCal_NoDak-2012: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=829203
vintagespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:31 AM   #52
JacqueTanis
Sassy

Oddometer: 11
Thank you

[QUOTE=warp9man;20826318]Day 16 – January 27, 2013

I wake up to Dad knocking on the door at about 6:30am again, lol. Of course we are still asleep. They want to get on the road so they are going to head out. They plan to go up MX 3 to Tecate as well. Dad knows we will most likely catch up to them later. .

It’s raining again…bummer… We check the weather forecast to see if it’s going to clear up any time soon. Not really. No point in delaying…we might as well get up.

We get packed and decide to just eat some of the food we have with us so we don’t have to get in and out of our rain gear again.

We get on the road a little before 8am.

We have a nice ride up the prettier sections of Ensenada coastline heading north.

Still alot of standing water around.

We turn off onto MX 3 and have some great riding.
Unfortunately the rain is coming down hard so Patty can’t get any pictures for a couple hours.

Somewhere near or just past Valle De Guadalupe (I think) we spot John, Jacque and Dave’s motorcycles in front of a little restaurant. We debate briefly on whether we are going to stop and then decide we are hungry so I make a U-turn and head back.
We are happy that the rain has stopped for a minute.

We chat with the group as they are finishing up breakfast. Patty and I grab a pizza. John and Dave are telling me that they are going to Algodones to meet with a dentist today. They plan to ride with Jacque and cross the border in Tecate. She is anxious to get back on “American roads”. She is not very fond of the Baja highway maintenance, lack of shoulders and signage. They will all cross the border, cut across I-8, then John and Dave will head south to Mexico, while Jacque continues on to Yuma.

We all get finished and get ready to leave. Dad says he will just meet us in Yuma tonight. Dave, John and Jacque head out.

We leave just shortly after and head north.

We pass the others and make our way into the twisties! It is awesome fun. I have to be careful with the wet roads and wish we could see more. What we can see looks pretty amazing. We are rolling thru the hill with lots of vineyards around. This would be fantastic on a sunny day!

We are climbing and I can see that we are heading up into a cloud/fog bank layer.

We keep climbing up into the fog layer. This could be a bummer.

It clears for a bit and I have hope, maybe we just skirt the fog?

Sweet... maybe it is gone!

Nope....We are soon in this dense misty wet fog. Visibility is not great.

OK...This pretty much sucks.. but somehow freakishly cool too.

Patty grabs this video before the mist makes the camera angry.

I’m more worried about someone slamming into me. I turn every light on the KTM. I see a few cars go past with their hazard lights on and think that is a brilliant idea so I turn those on too. It looks like stunning scenery, when we actually get to see it. The mist is pissing the camera off so Patty can’t get much for pictures as we motor on.

It seemed like we didn’t go very far and soon we are in a town. I’m not paying too much attention to the Zumo, just following the directions. It takes me up a street with a bunch of hazard cones across it so we can’t go down it? It takes a minute before we figure out we are IN Tecate and AT the border! The Zumo shows all the streets to get to the border crossing but they are all blocked off. We head east trying to find a street that is not barricaded. After several blocks I decide this is stupid and just ride between the barricades!

There is no line at the border at all, maybe 4 cars. They still flag us down to the front of the line…sweet! Maybe because it is still raining? One bored Mexican guard stops us and has us get off the bike? Then another one comes over. They want to go thru all the saddlebags. They even have me remove the seat? Weird? The strangest part was Mexican guards were not searching a single car? I guess we look like we can smuggle a lot, lol. Isn’t the USA supposed to search you on the way in? Anyway we get to the USA border agent, she checks our passports, asks the standard questions and sends us on our way. It took maybe 10 mins.

The official end of our Baja Adventure. We finish our ride Stateside.

We continue to have great scenery all the way up to I-8.

A tourist train that runs thru a little town.

Cool Train trussel. Maybe it's for the train we passed earlier?

The weather is starting to clear up. As soon as we hit I-8 we are in a notorious windy section. Not a big deal but sometimes annoying. We have lots of gusty cross winds but it is getting sunny and warm. We stop in El Centro for gas and continue to Yuma. We arrive back in Yuma about 2pm.

In Yuma we find out from Grandpa that Jacque called and was rather scared in the high winds on I-8 and got separated from John and Dave. She ended up riding on the shoulder of I-8 with her hazards on at a lower speed where she was more comfortable (partly due to her ribs killing her).

John and Dave went to Algodones. Jacque stopped in Yuma to get her ribs checked out from her fall a few days earlier and confirmed 2 ribs were broken.

We packed up, ran some errands, grabbed a bite to eat and did not see the rest of the group til after 7pm.

Dave has plans to fly out early the next morning and we are a day behind schedule and have to get home tomorrow as well. I won’t bore you with the details of that.

We had quite the adventure, seen a lot of new places and made some great memories!

*Extra Kudos to Jacque! She just started riding motorcycles at age 58 and now at age 60 she had the drive and courage to go on this ride.*

If She Can Do It, What’s Stopping You?[/QUOTE

Thank you Kevin, I appreciate all the help and encourgement you, Patty and Dad gave me. I'm sorry I was such a chicken. The three of you really coddled me and although I felt bad about slowing you all down, you never once made me feel like it was a problem. I'm so glad we were able (and willing) to go, it was a wonderful family time. I want to do Baja again but maybe in February or March when it's a little warmer. I think next time I'll watch the weather channel a little closer before I go, LOL.

I hear you guys are planning a ride to Panama, you're going to have so much fun. I'll have to live vicariously through your experiences on that ride. I just don't see a trip to Panama in our future - although we are planning some long trips through the US and maybe Canada and Alaska now that we know we can do it! Thank you so much for a wonderful and exciting trip in Baja. You rock ...
JacqueTanis is offline   Reply With Quote