Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-28-2014, 09:57 AM   #1
jfman OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,278
Automatic renewal and CC billing from Spot without notice

Hello all,

I am leaving on a trip in a month and knowing that my yearly subscribtion had ended in september I logged on their site to reactivate my device.

Once logged in I see that they had kept my account active and billed my card back in september at full price (last year I used the promo code to save 50$)

They never sent me a notice, they just renewed and billed my card. Thiey did produce a bill in my account but I had no way of knowing until I logged on in there.

Can they even do that? I did not need the service from september to late december and I very unhappy about this.
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 01:48 PM   #2
udoggie
Top Dog

Oddometer: 73
Did you sign up for auto-renewal? (I believe that it is the default.)

If so, then yes, they can as you gave them permission to.

-UD

P.S. You haven't checked your credit card statements since September?
udoggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 01:49 PM   #3
LimitedSlip
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 153
I got an email notification that my renewal is coming up. Is your email address up to date?
LimitedSlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 02:57 PM   #4
jfman OP
Beastly Adventurer

Yep and I archive everything.... Cant find any email besides ones from password retrieval etc...
Old 11-28-2014, 02:57 PM   #5
jfman OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by udoggie View Post
P.S. You haven't checked your credit card statements since September?

Guilty
Old 11-29-2014, 06:00 AM   #6
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 13,021
Read the terms and conditions of your subscription. When I had mine active, auto-renewal was a requirement of the discount offers, and they specified how they would notify.

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 09:23 AM   #7
jfman OP
Beastly Adventurer

Well feck it I'll disable auto renewal for next year and live with it...
Old 11-29-2014, 09:58 AM   #8
sleazy rider
Squidly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Well feck it I'll disable auto renewal for next year and live with it...
GLWT! You can't take the credit card off file. My account was coming up for renewal and I put a reminder on my calendar to call them a week prior to renewal time to cancel.
--Tom IBA #41627
Blog
sleazy rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 12:51 PM   #9
joints4sale
No. Not "That Kind".

Oddometer: 3,078
I got an email from Spot this week stating that they will charge my CC $185.93 for my next years service. I'm seriously considering going to the Delorme InReach SE with the Freedom Plan. For the same price I can have 5 months of contract free service but with the addition of 40 Text messages sent/received per month. The text messages would give me extra peace of mind while being out of cell coverage. There are times that I'm not on call but my colleagues need questions answered and the InReach could help with that. Not to mention the ability to download Topo maps to my phone via the InReach.
Check out their plans.

http://www.inreachdelorme.com/produc...tion-plans.php
Erik : IBA #40645---BMW135i FOR SALE<---CLICK
"If my life or death depends on getting Bruce or Dana on the phone then I'm gonna die." RFlagg42
2011 TC449, 2014 S1000R, 2010 R1200GSA 30th Anniversary Edition, 2003 Ktm 625sxc(gone), 1999 DR350(gone), 2007 K1200GT (traded for the GSA). 2004 R1150R (traded for the GT)
joints4sale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 04:56 PM   #10
Saltydog86
village idiot

Oddometer: 1,034
I believe the fine print on Spot's terms says something about 90 days notice to cancel auto renew. It was a process when I cancelled mine, they don't make it easy...
05 Yamaha XT225
03 Honda Goldwing GL1800
Saltydog86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 07:14 PM   #11
250senuf
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,332
Easiest way to "cancel" the auto renew might be to report the credit card lost and not update Spot re the CC number change.
Anyone try this? Does/might it create problems in that Spot might mess with one's credit rating?
Old 11-30-2014, 05:28 AM   #12
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 13,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by 250senuf View Post
Easiest way to "cancel" the auto renew might be to report the credit card lost and not update Spot re the CC number change.
Anyone try this? Does/might it create problems in that Spot might mess with one's credit rating?
The easiest way to not have it auto renewed is just to give them a call within the 90 or so day renewal period and tell them not to. I did that the last time I had mine active.

Reporting your card missing after the fact? Well, it would be kind of hard to win a dispute argument when you had given them the card number the year before and agreed to auto renewal. Plus, your credit card company would issue a new card and if you had any other auto charges, like a cell phone bill, you'd have to go set up the new account.

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 05:37 AM   #13
Tracerbullet
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
A lot of companies do this anymore, if your not careful to read the fine print. Anytime I see this I call the company and tell them I would like to subscribe but I want an invoice sent to me through the mail. Some balk, some may charge a small fee (2dollars) but they usually will send me the invoice. At the end of the year they have to send me a bill to renew then I decIde if I want to continue. I had a bad experience with XM years ago and will never do the CC auto renew again. No bill and I don't subscribe.
Tracerbullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 04:53 PM   #14
Faja
mild

Oddometer: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltydog86 View Post
I believe the fine print on Spot's terms says something about 90 days notice to cancel auto renew. It was a process when I cancelled mine, they don't make it easy...
They confirmed this when I called to cancel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracerbullet View Post
A lot of companies do this anymore, if your not careful to read the fine print. Anytime I see this I call the company and tell them I would like to subscribe but I want an invoice sent to me through the mail. Some balk, some may charge a small fee (2dollars) but they usually will send me the invoice. At the end of the year they have to send me a bill to renew then I decIde if I want to continue. I had a bad experience with XM years ago and will never do the CC auto renew again. No bill and I don't subscribe.

There is supposed to be a renewal notice, which I did receive, that gives you the opt out opportunity. Sometimes the company gives a discount for auto renewal and I've accepted those. SPOT seems to have the opposite model where they penalize current subscribers over new business. I won't support that business model. If the renewal had the discount built in, I would have accepted it. I hope they are listening or reading here.
Faja is offline   Reply With Quote