Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2013, 09:39 AM   #16
pancho
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmptiMind View Post
So, sounds like I just need to do a nice pre-ride check, make sure everything is tightened and this Buell will be awesome.

67MPG!? Were you running lean, or should I expect that? I hear the FI is usually easily remedied with a race ECM. I also hear you need to leave the belts a little loose.

I plan on keeping this bike until it becomes more expensive to maintain than to enjoy, been riding a CB750 for 10 years. I've ridden the Buell, since the seller wasn't in a hurry to sell I made sure to do some research before committing, but I love the way it feels.

What are the weight limits on it? I figured with 101 HP and as much torque as it has it'd be able to handle a bit. Was thinking about making it into a hack later in life, would it have issue pulling one?
The engine is very capable of carrying payload, but its the frame and engine mounts that are the Achiles tendon of this beast. You mentioned tandem riding....not well suited to that purpose in my opinion. And yes I had the Race module on mine....very easy to hit 10 grand, but don't forget its a push rod engine.
pancho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:51 AM   #17
EmptiMind OP
Stoopid Youngin'

Oddometer: 459
Well, hopefully my tiny little girlfriend won't hurt it too much, she's a buck twenty wet. Haven't got her a bike of her own yet.

Will that Ventura rack support a Givi bag?
Old 02-07-2013, 11:41 AM   #18
bills3t
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
s3t

things to watch for : 1. front mount ,can look ok but not (vibes at all rpm) 2.rear shock leaking (aftermarket best, but spendy)
the other stuff are easy enough fixes for bags and such. when the suspension is dialed in it was one of the best handling sport-tour ever made , yet still put 500 mile a day in the saddle. replaced my 2000 amazon green with 2005fjr when my wife started to ride along . BUELL's are compact bikes and the s3t is no exception , load limit if remember right is 325lb. ventura made a great rack for the s3t that actualy looked ok . the s3t realy begs for the race ecm along with a aftermarket pipe . amazing what 8 more hp can do , pulled between 50_60 mpg all day long with a sweet spot around 77 mph made the bike easy on interstates when you had to .the harley mothership let a good one get away in the s3t .
bills3t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 02:23 PM   #19
EmptiMind OP
Stoopid Youngin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by bills3t View Post
things to watch for : 1. front mount ,can look ok but not (vibes at all rpm) 2.rear shock leaking (aftermarket best, but spendy)
the other stuff are easy enough fixes for bags and such. when the suspension is dialed in it was one of the best handling sport-tour ever made , yet still put 500 mile a day in the saddle. replaced my 2000 amazon green with 2005fjr when my wife started to ride along . BUELL's are compact bikes and the s3t is no exception , load limit if remember right is 325lb. ventura made a great rack for the s3t that actualy looked ok . the s3t realy begs for the race ecm along with a aftermarket pipe . amazing what 8 more hp can do , pulled between 50_60 mpg all day long with a sweet spot around 77 mph made the bike easy on interstates when you had to .the harley mothership let a good one get away in the s3t .
I keep looking all over for load limit, I've seen anywhere from that 325 to about 400lbs. Either way, my girl is skinny enough, we're only 320 or so geared up. If limit is 400, travel shouldn't be an issue. Is it pretty easy to find an aftermarket shock that'll fit the S3T?
EmptiMind is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:43 PM   #20
X1Glider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 445
Motomike14 put all of the correct info you need to concern yourself with regarding the '99. The rockerbox gaskets and the shock recall are all that you should really worry about. You can still buy Wilbur and Penske shocks if needed, not Buell. The gaskets are no biggie to fix when they go.

Your only other non powertrain concern is the inner cases cracking. I don't ever remember there being an upgrade for it. They only replaced it as needed IIRC.

I had 2 X1s (FI so similar). I had issues in the bottom end on one (fixed and perfect thereafter) but the other was flawless. Mpgs were awesome IMO. I took one of the X1's to Alaska with rearsets and Crossroads low bars in some extremely crappy weather and one trip down into Guatamala with no issues. The only thing I had to do more often than I thought necessary was replace O2 sensors about evey 8000 miles. You can buy these at a Ford dealer for future reference. I'd have to really dig up the p/n.

Just buy it. It's a lot more fun than the bigger ST pigs and having HD shops all over the place to help in a pinch is good to know.

Can't offer anything on the aluminum cases. You could likely make a hybrid rack setup to work. Not sure anyone on Badweb has thought about it. Haven't visited in years other than to give away old Buell parts I keep digging up in my garage. (which I now wish I had kept)
Old 02-07-2013, 04:47 PM   #21
X1Glider
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancho View Post
The engine is very capable of carrying payload, but its the frame and engine mounts that are the Achiles tendon of this beast. You mentioned tandem riding....not well suited to that purpose in my opinion. And yes I had the Race module on mine....very easy to hit 10 grand, but don't forget its a push rod engine.
Bunch of bullshit in this post regarding the chassis and heim joint mounts and especially the rpms.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:06 PM   #22
waveydavey
happy times!!

Oddometer: 9,304
Quote:
Originally Posted by kioti View Post
I agree, especially the 10K rpm,because if so mine would do about 200mph at 10K ,besides the tach only goes to 9K and the motors are short lived if bounced off the oem rev limiter of 6,800 very much.
Well, that's good to hear. For a minute I thought that my 2000 S3 was fucked up cause it would never rev over 6800. I put 65,000 kms on mine with the occasional (hehe) wheeelie and my motor mounts etc were still good. I checked. I put XB rocker boxes on mine and ran a PCV valve, no more leaks and no more oil dripping out of the breathers. I wish I had kept it, I sold it for next to nothing and had another (more expensive) Buell within the year. To the OP, buy it!! I put on a couple of thousand mile days too.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:01 PM   #23
Donkey Hotey
De Jo Momma

Oddometer: 10,318
Man, to hear you guys tell it, Buells are pieces of crap.

Wanna' hear about my BMW transmission that seized because the factory installed the bearings backwards?

How about the Gold Wing I had for 190K miles? That thing couldn't keep front brake switches on it to save its life. I used to buy two at a time. The rear hub deformed to the point that the bearings were falling out before 25K. The final drive went to hell at 18K miles. It roached a regulator AND stator EVERY 60K, like clockwork. The trunk lid split so many times that I bought three of them before they told me they no longer made them. It ate rear shocks for lunch. They were only $250-300 for a pair but, they were crap and you knew they were only going to last 30K or so.

My ZX11? They are known for blowing 2nd gear and seizing the #2 connecting rod bearing. Mine hasn't done it but, that's what I've read on the internet.

Every damn bike out there has problems. As I posted earlier: the S3 doesn't have any more unusual problems than anything else. This thread is just listing all the areas that COULD cause a problem. Every bike has a list like that.
Donkey Hotey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:15 PM   #24
waveydavey
happy times!!

Oddometer: 9,304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey Hotey View Post

Wanna' hear about my BMW transmission that seized because the factory installed the bearings backwards?

How about the Gold Wing I had for 190K miles? That thing couldn't keep front brake switches on it to save its life. I used to buy two at a time. The rear hub deformed to the point that the bearings were falling out before 25K. The final drive went to hell at 18K miles. It roached a regulator AND stator EVERY 60K, like clockwork. The trunk lid split so many times that I bought three of them before they told me they no longer made them. It ate rear shocks for lunch. They were only $250-300 for a pair but, they were crap and you knew they were only going to last 30K or so.

My ZX11? They are known for blowing 2nd gear and seizing the #2 connecting rod bearing. Mine hasn't done it but, that's what I've read on the internet.

Every damn bike out there has problems. As I posted earlier: the S3 doesn't have any more unusual problems than anything else. This thread is just listing all the areas that COULD cause a problem. Every bike has a list like that.

I concur. I like Buells. They are not crap.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:35 AM   #25
EmptiMind OP
Stoopid Youngin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey Hotey View Post

Oh, I in no way took that as anyone bad talking Buell's. It actually made me more confident about buying it, they were simply telling me the common issues, and I can handle all of them easily. Most of the issues have been ironed out on this bike already, only thing I might consider getting soon for it is a race ecm, and depending on how it handles 2-up and our luggage an aftermarket shock.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:01 AM   #26
pauljr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
Had 2 Buell's, loved both of them but I found 2 up riding 320 lbs with some luggage to be a real problem. Had lots of warranty work generated at the dealership. Once the isolater fails it subjects other parts to stress and causes more failures. I suffered some of the failures that brought on recalls. Love hate relationship. That said I would love to have another at a price like that!
Old 02-08-2013, 09:12 AM   #27
X1Glider
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmptiMind View Post
only thing I might consider getting soon for it is a race ecm, and depending on how it handles 2-up and our luggage an aftermarket shock.
Good luck finding a Race ECM !!! If you find a source, share it with me please!

That said, the Race ECM is better applicable to the 536 camshafts as that was what the ignition timing was intended for... and the Pro-Series full exhaust. With the stock cams, a Power Commander will suit your needs fine and is actually available.

The Penske 8983 Double clicker shock is about $900 and will suit 2 up with luggage nicely.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:29 AM   #28
cascadetiger
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
I am the 2nd owner of a 98 S3T with over 60,000 miles. Runs perfect. The motor and transmission are simple but bullet proof. The transmission shifts like a tractor. No need to rev past 5,000 cause all the power is made down low. All day comfort with 200 plus mile range from the gas tank. Belt life is 40,000 miles.

The bad? The hard bag latches come apart and the plastic cracks. Front motor mount is prone to failure, replaced mine with a stronger one, no issues since. Fit and finish is not good and things tend to shake loose over time.

Like any used bike, it comes down to who owned it and what kind of maintenance was done to it. This bike is the most fun bike in my garage and I do not plan to sell it. Will run it until it dies. I do not ride it 2 up, but it would be pretty cramped.
cascadetiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:30 AM   #29
woodnbow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,172

This is the aftermarket mount I mentioned. Spend a bit of time at Bad Weather Bikers and you'll see lots of mentions of the stock mounts failures and attendant problems. Yes, many guys have ridden many miles without failures. I was not one of them. Mine let go at 11,000 miles. Almost all of those miles were two up, me, 6'2" and 200# with gear, her 5'0" and 115# with gear and then water and sammiches in the bags of course. Long story short, I bought the mount used a reverst twist cobalt drill and an easy out to get the sheared off bolt out of the head, replaced everything and ran it trouble free for another 14K. I loved that bike, really miss it.. You won't regret buying it.
woodnbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:21 PM   #30
EmptiMind OP
Stoopid Youngin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by X1Glider View Post
Good luck finding a Race ECM !!! If you find a source, share it with me please!

That said, the Race ECM is better applicable to the 536 camshafts as that was what the ignition timing was intended for... and the Pro-Series full exhaust. With the stock cams, a Power Commander will suit your needs fine and is actually available.

The Penske 8983 Double clicker shock is about $900 and will suit 2 up with luggage nicely.
Seen different race ECMs pop up on ebay a few times since I started looking at this bike a month ago. Hopefully I just haven't just gotten lucky, and will be able to get them later. It already has an upgraded exhaust. I'm not particularly looking for increase performance, was just hoping for no FI problems.

As far as the shock, how do I go about finding one that will fit? I would've never guessed on the penske unless it was listed somewhere. I had my eye on this guy http://www.twinmotorcycles.nl/artike...cid=18&aid=213

Thanks for the help guys.

EmptiMind screwed with this post 02-08-2013 at 07:27 PM