Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2013, 12:10 PM   #61
EmptiMind OP
Stoopid Youngin'

Oddometer: 459
Hah, good reason I don't ride a KTM, I like my ass not to go numb. Though I'm so used to narrower seats than this, wonder if I just need to get used to it, bruised my thighs.

Oh, as far as repairing that bag, anyone got a favorite compound?
EmptiMind is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 12:56 PM   #62
Tom S
Can I ride it?

Oddometer: 4,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim McKittrick View Post
I do ride a KTM, and you are not far off
How did forget that?!
Tom S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 12:56 PM   #63
Tim McKittrick
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,651
I'm a big fan of the westco marine epoxy resins. Not cheap, but not so smelly and toxic as the polyester fiberglass resins. If you don't have a local fiberglass and plastic shop check in with a marine supplier.

Mixed its a bit thick, like honey. I have had best results when making this sort of repair to paint the surface with resin using a disposable chip brush, lay on the pre-cut cloth, and stipple the cloth into the resin with the brush. It's easy to use too much resin- you want to have just enough to soak the cloth. The cloth will look translucent when thoroughly soaked, and you can lay a 2nd or 3rd layer once the resin has soaked into the first.

Regular scissors can be us to cut the cloth, but I like pinking sheers better as the edge will be less prone to unraveling. If you cut some heavy paper stock between every few cuts of the fiberglass cloth it keeps scissors cleaner and will make cutting easier.
Tim McKittrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:20 PM   #64
BigIron
Tenured Prof - Leghump U.

Oddometer: 765
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmptiMind View Post
She's mine. Been riding her the last two days and couldn't be happier. Only issue I've found is that one of the luggage has a small crack. Rear shock seems to be handling two up just fine. Do have to say with that stock seat I seem to be riding on the gas tank, I hear the Corbin isn't much better, any suggestions?
I hated the Corbin on my S3T. Little BigIron and the twins were seriously unhappy every time I dynamited the brakes.

I ended up with one of the Buell aftermarket seats. Way better. No perfect, but way better and good enough. And it wasn't a bank account killer.
BigIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:33 PM   #65
bills3t
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
s3t

ran a corbin on mine , secret is to have a gel pad on top of the corbin ( the infamous modified walmart auto seat cushion ). but keep the stock seat for the days you plan to run alot of twistys , the bikes handling dynamics are better with the stock seat .
bills3t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:57 PM   #66
Donkey Hotey
De Jo Momma

Oddometer: 10,297
Well, here's a chance to replace that sorry-ass D&D muffler with the genyouwhine, stainless steel, stock muffler the bike came with:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=859770

I have either two or three spares, in addition to the one already on my S1W. If I buy another, it's going to count as hoarding.
Donkey Hotey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:11 PM   #67
EmptiMind OP
Stoopid Youngin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey Hotey View Post
Well, here's a chance to replace that sorry-ass D&D muffler with the genyouwhine, stainless steel, stock muffler the bike came with:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=859770

I have either two or three spares, in addition to the one already on my S1W. If I buy another, it's going to count as hoarding.
Thanks for the heads up Greg. I actually like the sound of the D&D, probably because I wear earplugs. But it sure as hell lets people know I'm coming. Unfortunately, it lets my neighbors know when I'm home from work at 2am as well, so I'll probably pick up that stock. Heck if Pancho's got a good price for the seat too, might get that so I can send one off to Sargent and be able to ride on something more comfortable than some bungied blankets.
Old 02-19-2013, 04:50 AM   #68
RBrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 300
I had a '98 S3 and installed the touring package my self. Rode it 42,000 before selling, twice coast to coast, once solo & once two up. I loved that bike.

The later model S3 bags were reinforced quite a bit. Once I upgraded, I never had anymore problems with them cracking. However, the first time I noticed the mounting area cracking, we were in a motel parking lot in Gunnison Co. Luckily there was a Truevalue hardware store accross the street where I bought some hardware and screws to brace them up. They held up fine till I later found upgraded inner cases on ebay. I used to weigh our soft liners when we packed for a tour. I never let them exceed 18 lbs,fwiw. Now that I think about it, there was an upgraded latch kit, too, which I installed, asap after I found out about it.

We regularly got 60 mpg , sometimes 50, 70 once in a while. Mine was box stock except for a Dyno jet kit & a K&N filter.

I also fitted the '01/02 rear shock. It has the much larger shaft and the 01/02's also had a slightly higher GVW, which I attributed to the upgraded shock.

I found the S3 to be very sensitive to suspension sag adjustments too. It'll make a big difference between solo and two up, in my experence.

RB
RBrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 03:33 PM   #69
EmptiMind OP
Stoopid Youngin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBrider View Post
I had a '98 S3 and installed the touring package my self. Rode it 42,000 before selling, twice coast to coast, once solo & once two up. I loved that bike.

The later model S3 bags were reinforced quite a bit. Once I upgraded, I never had anymore problems with them cracking. However, the first time I noticed the mounting area cracking, we were in a motel parking lot in Gunnison Co. Luckily there was a Truevalue hardware store accross the street where I bought some hardware and screws to brace them up. They held up fine till I later found upgraded inner cases on ebay. I used to weigh our soft liners when we packed for a tour. I never let them exceed 18 lbs,fwiw. Now that I think about it, there was an upgraded latch kit, too, which I installed, asap after I found out about it.

We regularly got 60 mpg , sometimes 50, 70 once in a while. Mine was box stock except for a Dyno jet kit & a K&N filter.

I also fitted the '01/02 rear shock. It has the much larger shaft and the 01/02's also had a slightly higher GVW, which I attributed to the upgraded shock.

I found the S3 to be very sensitive to suspension sag adjustments too. It'll make a big difference between solo and two up, in my experence.

RB
Wish I could find these upgraded parts now a days. My bags say they're rated for 22lbs. I think I'm just going to fiberglass the crack, then shove some aluminum in there to reinforce mounting points. I probably won't ever take them off, even in town it's nice having them on. Curious, what'd the upgraded latches change?
Old 02-19-2013, 06:42 PM   #70
bills3t
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
s3t

check bad weather bikers you can modify where the bump stops at the lower rear of the bags to a forth mounting point. bags are secured better, down side not quite so easy to remove .loved the bags , so rarely took them off. had the stock seat modified by sargent but did not help with being up on the tank all the time.hope things work out better for you.they realy are great bikes.
bills3t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:04 PM   #71
Donkey Hotey
De Jo Momma

Oddometer: 10,297
Well, I've got the stock and the Corbin for my 2000. The stock seat was plenty comfortable but, a little soft for my liking. I got a decent deal on a brand new Corbin on Ebay.

The Corbin is obviously firmer; good in my book. The weird part is that I seem to sit higher and further back than on the stock seat. The net result was a noticeably longer reach to the grips and the pegs. I like the legroom but, the arm stretch...not so much. It also raised my head into more turbulent airflow over the stock windscreen.

The Corbin also has a weird shape compared to other Corbins. My tailbone and hip sockets are over an oval pocket and most of the seating pressure is on my thighs. That's actually a GOOD thing but, it's different from the other five Corbins I have, which are more of a flat, firm seating surface.

I'm still undecided whether I like the stock or the Corbin better. Only miles will answer that.
Donkey Hotey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:16 PM   #72
EmptiMind OP
Stoopid Youngin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey Hotey View Post
Well, I've got the stock and the Corbin for my 2000. The stock seat was plenty comfortable but, a little soft for my liking. I got a decent deal on a brand new Corbin on Ebay.

The Corbin is obviously firmer; good in my book. The weird part is that I seem to sit higher and further back than on the stock seat. The net result was a noticeably longer reach to the grips and the pegs. I like the legroom but, the arm stretch...not so much. It also raised my head into more turbulent airflow over the stock windscreen.

The Corbin also has a weird shape compared to other Corbins. My tailbone and hip sockets are over an oval pocket and most of the seating pressure is on my thighs. That's actually a GOOD thing but, it's different from the other five Corbins I have, which are more of a flat, firm seating surface.

I'm still undecided whether I like the stock or the Corbin better. Only miles will answer that.
Another thing I meant to ask about. Windscreen, I've only seen one aftermarket out there, the Zero G, also seen the laminar lip. Wondering if anyone has experience? Stock has wind hitting my shoulders at highway speeds.

As far as seat goes, it's not really my butt that's uncomfortable, it's my inner thighs. I've got bruises on them just from the last few days riding, seems no matter how I sit myself on that seat I end up on the gas tank.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:29 AM   #73
davevv
One more old rider

Oddometer: 2,309
Can't comment on the ZG screen, but I did run a Laminar Lip on a Ulysses for a couple of years. It looks a little funky, but works quite well. I never had any kind of wind problem with the Uly when using the Lip.
davevv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:28 AM   #74
BigIron
Tenured Prof - Leghump U.

Oddometer: 765
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmptiMind View Post
Another thing I meant to ask about. Windscreen, I've only seen one aftermarket out there, the Zero G, also seen the laminar lip. Wondering if anyone has experience? Stock has wind hitting my shoulders at highway speeds.

As far as seat goes, it's not really my butt that's uncomfortable, it's my inner thighs. I've got bruises on them just from the last few days riding, seems no matter how I sit myself on that seat I end up on the gas tank.
I've got a ZG, very happy with it. I'll be fitting one to the ZX this year as well.

The Buell aftermarket seat is grippier than the stocker. I think it's also a bit wider, but it's been awhile since I've been on a stocker.
BigIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 02:00 PM   #75
EmptiMind OP
Stoopid Youngin'

Wish I could find the Buell aftermarket seat, seems the one most people like. I got an ATV pad from Wally world, cut it up to give me a nice bit of padding when I ride the tank. I like the stocker seat, just not the gas tank.

Can't decide if I should go for the laminar or the zg. Just want something to keep the air off my body and the bugs off my face.