Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2013, 10:12 AM   #91
Tom S
Can I ride it?

Oddometer: 4,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by olthump View Post
For the sucky seat, I gotta give raves to the Alaskan sheepskin covers.
That's Alaska Leather's sheepskin buttpads. You absolutely can not beat Alaska Leather’s customer service.
http://www.alaskaleatheronline.com/s...ate/about/Page
Tom S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 01:34 AM   #92
EmptiMind OP
Stoopid Youngin'

Oddometer: 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom S View Post
That's Alaska Leather's sheepskin buttpads. You absolutely can not beat Alaska Leather’s customer service.
http://www.alaskaleatheronline.com/s...ate/about/Page
Are those pads able to relieve numb butt without gel? Is there any increase in ride height? I'm afraid any extra height is too much for me.

Update on the bike, fiberglassing the tank bags right now, actually using kevlar but about the same thing. Also fabricating a rear rack for it.

Thinking about replacing the air intake, but unsure if I want to spend $300 on it when the breadbox works fine. Took a look inside there, and there's oil all over the intake, any suggestions?
EmptiMind is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:25 AM   #93
olthump
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
I've had both breadbox and aftermarket intakes.
Regardless of which you use, a puke can for the crankcase breather is just about a necessity. Check out Jeg's or one of the other hotrod outlets. You just open the little valve @ the bottom occasionaly and let the Splooge (technical term) drain out. You'll be amazed at how much munge is being fed back through the engine.

I'll try to find a pic I can post of one I installed on both my Buells.

American Sportbike is the place to go for trick bits. Bring $$$.

The sheepskin cover is just that...a chunk of tanned sheepskin. No noticeable height increase. You'll love it.

Hope this is some help.

Greg PS...Go straight to the Jaz website...I'm no good at posting links.

olthump screwed with this post 03-06-2013 at 08:32 AM Reason: short term memory ...
olthump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:30 AM   #94
olthump
Adventurer

He a pic of a Sporty I built for a guy...You can see the puke can on the left downtube.
Old 03-06-2013, 04:16 PM   #95
EmptiMind OP
Stoopid Youngin'

As far as new intake, I should be able to get away with a sportster intake, right? I think it looks nice on the side. Any difference between a carb and fuel injected intake? See things listed differently, but I don't know what'd be different.
Old 03-06-2013, 04:36 PM   #96
olthump
Adventurer

Very different. Has to do with the breathers actually. FI and Carb arrangements are different.

I finally couldnt stand the bb any longer, it is just too ugly and covers too much mo-sheen.

I suggest you put a few miles on the bike before you change anything. Any swap involves doing the whole deal at once and it is a fair chunk of change. If the time comes, I'd be happy to tell you my experience. The one thing the bb does is miss your knee. I'm 6' and my round filter and my knee are always close.

Check out these folks. Small Americam business selling quality bits, and expert advice.
http://www.americansportbike.com/

Hope I'm not overposting this pic, but it shows the ASB setup I used. Puke can on left downtube.

Old 03-06-2013, 04:41 PM   #97
EmptiMind OP
Stoopid Youngin'

So, I was planning on getting a Jaz Breather, or one of the ones from American Sports Bike anyway, I can just pick up an oval sportster intake and mount that on, right? I'm 5'8" so I'm not too worried about my knee knocking.
Old 03-06-2013, 04:54 PM   #98
olthump
Adventurer

Empty, I have no idea about mounting a Sportster air can. Cant help ya there.

I'll even expose a bit of my personal predjudice and ask...

"Why would you put an ugly Harley part on a beautiful Buell?"

Jes' sayin'...

Really, I would leave this alone until you get a factory manual. I've been at this a good while, and I sure needed mine.
Old 03-06-2013, 06:11 PM   #99
Mr. Canoehead
Taste Gunnels!

Oddometer: 1,431
Quote:
Originally Posted by olthump View Post

I'll even expose a bit of my personal predjudice and ask...

"Why would you put an ugly Harley part on a beautiful Buell?"

Jes' sayin'...
+1 the breadbox is a great design, function over fashion, unlike the Harley stuff.

Send from my Droid using Tapatalk

"No matter how many [internet] opinions you line up, you can't vote nonsense into truth"- Kevin Cameron
Mr. Canoehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 06:31 PM   #100
argentcorvid
Some Guy

Oddometer: 451
I'm pretty sure a Forcewinder intake for a rigid mount-era Sporty will fit, if it's carbed.

I'd ask these weirdos, since I know more about the newer Buells than I do about the Tubers.
argentcorvid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:27 PM   #101
olthump
Adventurer

Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by argentcorvid View Post
I'm pretty sure a Forcewinder intake for a rigid mount-era Sporty will fit, if it's carbed.

I'd ask these weirdos,

Indeed.
Old 03-06-2013, 07:47 PM   #102
EmptiMind OP
Stoopid Youngin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canoehead View Post
+1 the breadbox is a great design, function over fashion, unlike the Harley stuff.

Send from my Droid using Tapatalk
I like the breadbox actually, in terms of looks. It's the function I didn't appreciate as much. Having the oil breather in there just seems silly to me, and if I'm replacing it, I'd like to just get a new sleeker intake so I can mount the breather on the right side rather than having to mount to the left. Forcewinders are too strange to me, and I don't necessarily mean an intake off a sportster, I just like that oval design. American Sports Bike has them as well.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:03 PM   #103
Donkey Hotey
De Jo Momma

Oddometer: 10,381
The location of the oil breather is no fault of Buell's. ALL engines have to recirculate the crainkcase fumes. There are no exceptions. Thumpers and many twins are notoriously bad for pumping oil out of the breather.

Given all the options, I stayed with the breadbox on my S3 and bought a replacement breadbox for the S1. It's not on there but, it will be soon.

Besides: oil on the interior surfaces is just one more thing to trap dirt rather than allow it into the engine. As long as it's not dripping oil, I don't care. Wipe it out when I'm in there and forget about the rest of the time.

If the oil is really an issue, buy a breather and just plug the oil hose holes in the breadbox. The next thing you'll notice is that the lower doesn't fit without the breadbox and the fairing has an asymmetrical notch cut in it to clear as well.
Donkey Hotey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:06 PM   #104
EmptiMind OP
Stoopid Youngin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey Hotey View Post
The location of the oil breather is no fault of Buell's. ALL engines have to recirculate the crainkcase fumes. There are no exceptions. Thumpers and many twins are notoriously bad for pumping oil out of the breather.

Given all the options, I stayed with the breadbox on my S3 and bought a replacement breadbox for the S1. It's not on there but, it will be soon.

Besides: oil on the interior surfaces is just one more thing to trap dirt rather than allow it into the engine. As long as it's not dripping oil, I don't care. Wipe it out when I'm in there and forget about the rest of the time.

If the oil is really an issue, buy a breather and just plug the oil hose holes in the breadbox. The next thing you'll notice is that the lower doesn't fit without the breadbox and the fairing has an asymmetrical notch cut in it to clear as well.
Yeah, first time I've opened the box since I got it, and there was a lot of oil, made me worry. Maybe it's for nothing, I'll just keep checking on it. Another reason I thought about replacing it is the textured paint is peeling on my box. I guess I'd feel better if I could find something to recoat it with, but I haven't seen anything that matches the texture at the local Lowes.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:36 PM   #105
Donkey Hotey
De Jo Momma

Oddometer: 10,381
The most important thing with the breadbox is understanding how it works. ALL of the volume inside that box is filtered air. That means all the edges have to be sealed.

The previous owner of my S3 had lost the seal around the periphery of the cover. I guess he didn't think it was very important (certified Harley mechanic, if you can believe that).

The whole volume fills up with easy-to-gulp air. The snorkel breathes air from the OUTSIDE of the element. The dirty side of the element is the inside (unlike most other air filters). That whole metal can around the air filter, the rubber seals, etc, ALL have to be in place to filter the air properly.

Most larger auto parts stores carry wrinkle finish black paint. That's probably what I would do if mine were scratched up.
Donkey Hotey is offline   Reply With Quote