ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-12-2013, 01:05 AM   #121
EmptiMind OP
Stoopid Youngin'
 
EmptiMind's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: PNW
Oddometer: 458
http://www.buellsterparts.com/category.sc?categoryId=17

Hmm, anyone deal with these folks? They seem to have the outer box. I'm not exactly sure what part I'm looking for on the inside. My snorkel and filter box are still intact, but the back that they're mounted to is broken. Anyone know the part number?
EmptiMind is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 02:55 AM   #122
Hughlysses
Beastly Adventurer
 
Hughlysses's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Summerville, SC
Oddometer: 3,245
^My son-in-law bought some parts from them for his XB12R last year. They seem to be legit.
__________________
2007 Buell XB12X Ulysses
1983 Honda VT500FT Ascot
Hughlysses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:34 AM   #123
Badge320
Wild Hog No. 3
 
Badge320's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Beaumont, Texas
Oddometer: 3,607
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmptiMind View Post
http://www.buellsterparts.com/category.sc?categoryId=17

Hmm, anyone deal with these folks? They seem to have the outer box. I'm not exactly sure what part I'm looking for on the inside. My snorkel and filter box are still intact, but the back that they're mounted to is broken. Anyone know the part number?
I bought a shift lever for a Blast from these folks earlier this year.

No problems.
Badge320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:53 AM   #124
Hughlysses
Beastly Adventurer
 
Hughlysses's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Summerville, SC
Oddometer: 3,245
You might post up in "Old School Buell" before you buy the parts. I'd bet 95% of all tuber owners have removed the stock airbox. Someone will probably give you one for the cost of shipping. I had one until about a year ago when I finally threw it out.
__________________
2007 Buell XB12X Ulysses
1983 Honda VT500FT Ascot
Hughlysses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 04:11 AM   #125
EmptiMind OP
Stoopid Youngin'
 
EmptiMind's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: PNW
Oddometer: 458
Already posted up on bad weather. My insurance is great, or they don't know how easy it is to fix a bike. Should get a good amount of money to fix her.

Unfortunately, the stock showa is blown, so I need a new one...
__________________
Just a fool on a Buell.
EmptiMind is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 04:45 AM   #126
Tom S
Can I ride it?
 
Tom S's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Anchorage Alaska
Oddometer: 4,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughlysses View Post
I finally threw it out.
Are these bikes going to dissapear piece by piece?
Tom S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:15 AM   #127
Hughlysses
Beastly Adventurer
 
Hughlysses's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Summerville, SC
Oddometer: 3,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom S View Post
Are these bikes going to dissapear piece by piece?
My S3 fortunately wound up in the hands of a guy who has 10+ Buell tubers in his collection. The only thing non-stock on it was the airbox; I offered him the OEM one which he didn't want. Unfortunately a lot of tube frame Buells wound up as the basis for kit-built choppers. You could buy a Buell tuber with a ~100 HP engine for thousands less than a Sportster with a ~60 HP engine. The guy that bought my S3 has acquired the remains (frame, swingarm, gas tank, etc.) of several of those projects.
__________________
2007 Buell XB12X Ulysses
1983 Honda VT500FT Ascot
Hughlysses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:37 AM   #128
Tim McKittrick
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2003
Location: Wasilla Alaska
Oddometer: 1,679
[QUOTE

Unfortunately, the stock showa is blown, so I need a new one...[/QUOTE]

I may have noted before that Race Tech can rebuild your stock Showa for short money, and can improve it for a little more. They did mine and I had them add their gold valve to it- I'm very happy with the results. I don't have a Penske or Works to compare it to, but it is much better than it was as standard.
Tim McKittrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:48 AM   #129
EmptiMind OP
Stoopid Youngin'
 
EmptiMind's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: PNW
Oddometer: 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim McKittrick View Post
[QUOTE

Unfortunately, the stock showa is blown, so I need a new one...
I may have noted before that Race Tech can rebuild your stock Showa for short money, and can improve it for a little more. They did mine and I had them add their gold valve to it- I'm very happy with the results. I don't have a Penske or Works to compare it to, but it is much better than it was as standard.[/QUOTE]

How much is the improvement? And will it be rebuildable by me next time it blows? I've got the second gen showa, the last 16.5 I can get a new 14 for around $300 with the mounting plate. Not sure which is the better option.

As far as these bikes disappearing, I'm not terrible worried yet, after searching I was able to find about ten places that still had new parts.
__________________
Just a fool on a Buell.
EmptiMind is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 12:23 PM   #130
Tim McKittrick
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2003
Location: Wasilla Alaska
Oddometer: 1,679
It's a little hard to quantify the degree of improvement in a shock rebuild... all I can say is the odd disconnected feeling I was having from the bike has gone away and it no longer has a tendency to wallow in mid corner. Before the rebuild I had the sensation of a sloppy swingarm pivot, and sudden direction changes mid corner were a little unpleasant... the bike needed to be ridden very deliberately and with steady inputs to remain stable. The bike now feels more planted overall, and the unsettling characteristics have all disappeared.

My brother borrowed the S3 before I had the shock rebuilt and was favorably impressed by the bike, but not amazed. He borrowed it afterward raved about how much better it handled: evidence of his joy was new road rash on the undercarriage..... he managed to scrape stuff I never thought would hit the ground.

There should be no issues with subsequent rebuilds, and I would like to believe the RT repair will last longer than the original shock as they use a better seal assembly. Time will tell.

Someone on Badweb compared the RT rebuild with Goldvalve favorably to the Penske, but that could just be hyperbole. The only machine I own with a Penske is my RS250 racer, and comparing it to the Buell is nonsense, so I really can't make a judgement as to the relative quality of ride. I'm satisfied with the rebuilt shock and was very happy with the price and service.

The only real advantage I can see to the aftermarket shocks for street use is the ability to properly match spring rate to your weight and riding style. RT feels the stock spring in the Showa is too stiff but had no softer replacement available.
Tim McKittrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 12:31 PM   #131
EmptiMind OP
Stoopid Youngin'
 
EmptiMind's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: PNW
Oddometer: 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim McKittrick View Post
It's a little hard to quantify the degree of improvement in a shock rebuild... all I can say is the odd disconnected feeling I was having from the bike has gone away and it no longer has a tendency to wallow in mid corner. Before the rebuild I had the sensation of a sloppy swingarm pivot, and sudden direction changes mid corner were a little unpleasant... the bike needed to be ridden very deliberately and with steady inputs to remain stable. The bike now feels more planted overall, and the unsettling characteristics have all disappeared.

My brother borrowed the S3 before I had the shock rebuilt and was favorably impressed by the bike, but not amazed. He borrowed it afterward raved about how much better it handled: evidence of his joy was new road rash on the undercarriage..... he managed to scrape stuff I never thought would hit the ground.

There should be no issues with subsequent rebuilds, and I would like to believe the RT repair will last longer than the original shock as they use a better seal assembly. Time will tell.

Someone on Badweb compared the RT rebuild with Goldvalve favorably to the Penske, but that could just be hyperbole. The only machine I own with a Penske is my RS250 racer, and comparing it to the Buell is nonsense, so I really can't make a judgement as to the relative quality of ride. I'm satisfied with the rebuilt shock and was very happy with the price and service.

The only real advantage I can see to the aftermarket shocks for street use is the ability to properly match spring rate to your weight and riding style. RT feels the stock spring in the Showa is too stiff but had no softer replacement available.
To be quite honest, I was more than satisfied with the stocker after I adjusted pre-load and rebound to my wants. If it only gets better from there, then heck, I think I'll be satisfied with any shock that works. The aftermark shocks are owner rebuildable, where as the Showa isn't. Curious to know if the RT rebuild makes it so the owner can replace seals without sending it back. Also most curious about the price.
EmptiMind is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 01:03 PM   #132
X1Glider
Studly Adventurer
 
X1Glider's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Location: Houston, TX
Oddometer: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmptiMind View Post
To be quite honest, I was more than satisfied with the stocker after I adjusted pre-load and rebound to my wants. If it only gets better from there, then heck, I think I'll be satisfied with any shock that works. The aftermark shocks are owner rebuildable, where as the Showa isn't. Curious to know if the RT rebuild makes it so the owner can replace seals without sending it back. Also most curious about the price.
Even rebuilding the 2nd 16.5" shock will still give you the same problems to worry about. It's inherent to the actual design. A rebuild doesn't change that. It would be better to get the 14.7" no matter what. Neither will be owner rebuildable either and that can be a good thing for most anyone who has never rebuilt a shock before. Even if you could just replace the seals, there's more to be done once inside that most people overlook and most people can't recharge them either so the gas is neglected too. Leave it to the pros to do the right thing.

As for aftermarket shocks. I put the Penske double clicker on 2 X1s. It was night and day better over the stocker. Nothing to do with the proper spring rate. The damping circuits were that much better over the whole stroke and much more tunable. The stock Buell shocks have a base setting that is only 1/2 click out from full hard to start with. If you're heavier than 175 lbs, even with the right spring, you still only have 1/2 click to work with. A stiffer spring will over power the circuit and be useless.

It's a pay me now or pay me laster deal with Buells and shocks. If you can make it happen, go aftermarket and be satisfied with the proper performance from day 1 and get long term reliability or get so-so performance from day 1 and pay for rebuilds every so often. One is just an up front cost, the other is an installment plan.

I've just picked up another X1 project bike and have, like the other 2, ordered a Penske double clicker for it. The 14.7" stocker is coming off.
__________________
Bob Krzeszkiewicz - 2013 Christini 450E - 2011 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 - 2000 Harley Davidson FXDX - 1999 Buell X1
X1Glider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 01:12 PM   #133
EmptiMind OP
Stoopid Youngin'
 
EmptiMind's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: PNW
Oddometer: 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by X1Glider View Post
Even rebuilding the 2nd 16.5" shock will still give you the same problems to worry about. It's inherent to the actual design. A rebuild doesn't change that. It would be better to get the 14.7" no matter what. Neither will be owner rebuildable either and that can be a good thing for most anyone who has never rebuilt a shock before. Even if you could just replace the seals, there's more to be done once inside that most people overlook and most people can't recharge them either so the gas is neglected too. Leave it to the pros to do the right thing.

As for aftermarket shocks. I put the Penske double clicker on 2 X1s. It was night and day better over the stocker. Nothing to do with the proper spring rate. The damping circuits were that much better over the whole stroke and much more tunable. The stock Buell shocks have a base setting that is only 1/2 click out from full hard to start with. If you're heavier than 175 lbs, even with the right spring, you still only have 1/2 click to work with. A stiffer spring will over power the circuit and be useless.

It's a pay me now or pay me laster deal with Buells and shocks. If you can make it happen, go aftermarket and be satisfied with the proper performance from day 1 and get long term reliability or get so-so performance from day 1 and pay for rebuilds every so often. One is just an up front cost, the other is an installment plan.

I've just picked up another X1 project bike and have, like the other 2, ordered a Penske double clicker for it. The 14.7" stocker is coming off.
Appreciate the straight up reply. I knew that that was probably the case, but I was unsure. Unfortunately I've got massive medical debt, and my car engine needs to be rebuilt, all of this came up last week... When it rains it pours. If you want to discard that old showa, I would certainly appreciate it, long as it's still working.
EmptiMind is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 01:20 PM   #134
X1Glider
Studly Adventurer
 
X1Glider's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Location: Houston, TX
Oddometer: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmptiMind View Post
Appreciate the straight up reply. I knew that that was probably the case, but I was unsure. Unfortunately I've got massive medical debt, and my car engine needs to be rebuilt, all of this came up last week... When it rains it pours. If you want to discard that old showa, I would certainly appreciate it, long as it's still working.
I'll be tearing the bike and engine apart in due time and will likely put it up for sale on badweatherbikers. May be a few weeks as I have a not good family medical situation that's going to hold me back a bit.
__________________
Bob Krzeszkiewicz - 2013 Christini 450E - 2011 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 - 2000 Harley Davidson FXDX - 1999 Buell X1
X1Glider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 01:03 AM   #135
EmptiMind OP
Stoopid Youngin'
 
EmptiMind's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: PNW
Oddometer: 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by X1Glider View Post
I'll be tearing the bike and engine apart in due time and will likely put it up for sale on badweatherbikers. May be a few weeks as I have a not good family medical situation that's going to hold me back a bit.
I understand that all too well, unfortunately. Though it's usually me in the medical situation.
EmptiMind is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014