Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2013, 06:10 AM   #1
Casey. OP
Nerd on a bike

Oddometer: 70
Handguard install

Hi all,

I'm new to all aspects of motorcycling, and I'm adding my first thing to the bike: handguards. Following the directions was simple enough, but I'm looking for some sort of technique/trick to getting the rubber sleeve into the bar end. I chopped the grip's end off, and pushed the guard's assembly in, but the rubber sleeve is SO damn tight that even with twisting and swearing, it only gets about half-way in (the back end bulges, making it even more impossible). I about ground my palm raw in the process.
I'm going on the deduction that my stock CRF250L handlebars are steel (powder-coated, magnetic).
Thanks for helping out a noob.
Old 02-06-2013, 06:12 AM   #2
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,692
I'm not familiar with your specific guards, but one way to make rubber slippery, but yet stick when dry is to use hairspray as a lube. It is slick until it dries, then stickey. I would assume this is your goal.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:22 AM   #3
Casey. OP
Nerd on a bike

That does sound effective. I have Tusk D-Flex guards.
Thanks.
Old 02-06-2013, 06:25 AM   #4
Stu
Buffo Maximus

Oddometer: 894
Slippery then Sticky

I use Dawn dish soap. I use it when flipping rear knobby tires or installing new ones. When dry it helps grip.

Most bar end mounting hand guards for dirt bikes have an expanding alloy piece that tightens against the inside wall when the external set screw (normally a 5mm hex) is tightened. Like the above poster, I'm curious. What are you installing?

Stu
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:32 AM   #5
Casey. OP
Nerd on a bike

Awesome. I do have that handy - I don't think I have any hairspray.
Yes, you described the mechanism exactly. I had the set screw as loose as possible. I will give the soap a try when I get home tonight.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:24 AM   #6
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,406
Yes the dish soap, Sunlight for me but any brand will work.

Hairspray....I finally got some at the Dollar store last year, good to apply on seats and make them less slippery. Funny also makes them shiny like ArmorAll without the side effects.

New foam grips to install on my bike, them can be very hard to install but I am cheap and use the bicycle ones, cheaper but may be a tad smaller than the moto ones. Always used dish soap but will try the hairspray.
Old 02-06-2013, 06:48 PM   #7
Casey. OP
Nerd on a bike

The dish soap worked excellently! Thank you. The left side was an extremely tight fit requiring the soap. The throttle side slid in without the need. They are both firmly in place now though.
Old 02-07-2013, 03:55 AM   #8
Stu
Buffo Maximus

"the rubber sleeve"

What is this that you mention in your first post? Can you post a pix?

When I install handlebar grips I just use contact cleaner on the inside of the grip, pour out the excess and slide them on. I put some 3M gorilla snot on the bar itself first. After the contact cleaner / gorilla snot combo dries I always safety wire the grips at both ends. I do not use dish soap on handlebar grips.

Stu
Old 02-07-2013, 05:26 AM   #9
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,692
For street bikes safety wire is usually not needed. If using foam or porus grips, dish soap is not a good idea. When they get wet they will slip. Not a big deal on the left side, but sucks when your grip slips on the throttle side.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:55 AM   #10
Casey. OP
Nerd on a bike

Stu,
The rubber sleeve slipped around the expanding insert assembly that goes inside the handlebar to secure one end of the handguards. The instructions said to use the sleeve if installing into steel bars, and not to use it if installing into aluminum. This is the exact assembly:

My last concern is getting junk into the throttle tube. I had to dremel the end of the tube and grip off to expose the handlebar opening. I put the guard assembly into the bar, so the bar itself is nicely sealed, but the space between the handlebar and the throttle tube is now exposed. I fear that if I drop the bike on its right side into mud/sand, I'll have a load of junk wedged in there. Any other tricks to seal this gap without hindering throttle movement? I'll get pictures tonight.
Old 02-07-2013, 06:04 AM   #11
Yooper_Bob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,566
I wouldn't worry about that small gap. The same issue exists on my wife's tw200 with the tusk handguards.

She has crashed tons of times in the dirt, and has never had a problem with getting dirt/grit interferring with the throttle.
Yooper_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:20 AM   #12
Stu
Buffo Maximus

Rubber Sleeve

Thanks! All the bar guards I have used (the latest being Cycra style from Sicass Racing) never use a rubber sleeve since the knurled expanding sleeve holds the guard in place until a really hard hit moves it up or down. I would attempt to get the inner sleeve to retract or be as loose as possible, slide the rubber sleeve on it, lube the rubber sleeve with dish soap and work the assembly into the bar end. Then tighten it up.

I have never attempted to put anything that would seal the end of the throttle tube from dirt. If you do there is a good chance you will restrict throttle closing in the event of a crash which would be far worse than getting a bit of dirt through the very small gap between the throttle tube and the bar. I disassemble this every season (twice a year) and clean out whatever might be in there and then lube the handlebar with a thin smear of white grease before I re-install it. I have found very little dirt inside the tube. However, cleaning & lubing does keep the tube free to move, and close, especially if the motorcycle and I have parted company. (It is sometimes fully justified in bucking me off and does so with apparent delight.)

Stu
Old 02-07-2013, 03:20 PM   #13
Casey. OP
Nerd on a bike

Here's what the bike looks like with the new guards:

and here's the throttle side attachment. It sounds like the gap isn't a cause for concern.