Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-06-2013, 06:09 AM   #1
Goggles Paisano OP
AKA Walter Mitty

Oddometer: 1,421
My brothers Virago

Hey folks.

Recently, my younger brother went out his buddy and bought a 1996 Yamaha Virago 750. Nice enough bike, but it leaks like a Harley. Seems the gasket between the case halves is shot. I've given it a good coating of rubber gasket material which seems to have stopped the leak but I haven't had it running yet to see what happens. Its been curing for a couple days now.

I really don't feel like dropping the motor and splitting the cases. Any chance that my fix will hold up to the crankcase pressure when the bike is running? If it fails, should I jam a bunch of jb weld up in there and call it good? Anybody have any ideas if that would work? Any other stuff we could try?

Anyone dropped one of these motors and split the cases? Tip? Tricks?

Many thanks in advance. I'm going to tell my bro that he's not allowed to buy a bike before I look it over in the future.
Old 06-06-2013, 06:23 AM   #2
Stan_R80/7
Beastly Gnarly

Oddometer: 1,181
I would get the engine hot, drain the oil, add kerosene to the crankcase, drain the kerosene out. Then clean all the oil off the outside of the crankcase using an engine degreaser followed by wiping with mineral spirits (or ronson ligher fluid) with a final wipe down with acetone - the goal is to remove as much oil in the leak path as possible.

Once it was cleaned as good as possible, apply green wicking loctite (290) at the seam between the cases where oil is leaking. Let that sit for 24 hours then flush the crankcase with kerosene one last time before refilling with oil. IMO, that is a good as it will get without splitting the case and if it works will be permanent. Good luck!
Stan_R80/7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 06:26 AM   #3
Goggles Paisano OP
AKA Walter Mitty

Oddometer: 1,421
Thanks Stan! Will have to give that a try.
Old 06-08-2013, 07:14 PM   #4
AtLarge
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan_R80/7 View Post
I would get the engine hot, drain the oil, add kerosene to the crankcase, drain the kerosene out. Then clean all the oil off the outside of the crankcase using an engine degreaser followed by wiping with mineral spirits (or ronson ligher fluid) with a final wipe down with acetone - the goal is to remove as much oil in the leak path as possible.

Once it was cleaned as good as possible, apply green wicking loctite (290) at the seam between the cases where oil is leaking. Let that sit for 24 hours then flush the crankcase with kerosene one last time before refilling with oil. IMO, that is a good as it will get without splitting the case and if it works will be permanent. Good luck!
Good tip. Filing that one in the archives for the future.
2008 GSX1300-BKK8 #1120
Cardo Scala rider G4 PowerSet
AtLarge is offline   Reply With Quote