User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2013, 06:35 PM   #16
EBMOTT
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
alpine star

alpinestar st1 glove . i have been selling them and wearing them for to many years to count. and i have never got a complant from any customer i have sold them to.
EBMOTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:19 PM   #17
KsFolly
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
I have the BMW ATLANTIS 3 gauntlet gloves.

Utterly waterproof.

I've been rained on and in a blizzard.

They have an inner thinsulate layer and an outer of super soft leather.

The gauntlet has the two layers separate. I layer the inner inside my jacket and the outer over my jacket.

Admittedly I haven't been in a monsoon. But I've been really happy in the rains I have experienced this past winter in SoCal where I seem to have managed about 2000 miles in the rain.

At 30f and 30mph in the blizzard with my handle bar heat on high I was still frozen. But I suffered thru for 30 minutes to get out of the snowy peak.

K
KsFolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:23 PM   #18
KsFolly
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Atlantis 3 was $150

Yes goretex bonded to outer layer.
KsFolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:35 PM   #19
NJ Moto
Running Free

Oddometer: 7,409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorman View Post
My Lee Parks covered by the Aerostitch three-fingered mitts are not making it. Plan on looking at the Chicago IMS this weekend, so looking for suggestions. Gloves are one of those things ya just have to try on.
Anyone have any suggestions on what I might look for?
Thanks in advance.
I'm surprised the Aerostich triple digit mitts leak. Thanks for saving me some money.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuKeu...feature=relmfu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYqF_BtIwAU
"Can we get a party to finally represent us?" - Cenk Uygur
NJ Moto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:58 PM   #20
atgatt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
held air n dry

Just purchased a pair of held air n dry gloves. Gortex... spring, summer, fall full protection gloves. Pricey but good gloves.

atgatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 12:52 AM   #21
motorcy
motorcy

Oddometer: 20
Laugh good gloves

i had some gore-tex gloves from alpinestar... got them right before a cross-country trip ...epic fail the first day...soaked thru within 20 minutes. I actually think someone left the gore-tex liner out! They were made in china so...who knows what happened...alpinestar took them back ,no problem...except i had to use them till i got to canada... Anyway,if you want waterproof... Rain Off gloves...new zealand..40 bucks when i bought mine...i've had them for years...awesome!!!!
motorcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:15 AM   #22
keiji
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,039
Anything gore-tex has usually done me right, although the off brands aren't too bad either.

Pro tip - Never buy them at the local dealer. Some poor sales schmuck always pokes the security tag through some vital spot, ruining the glove. Ditto for jackets and pants.

My local dealer has rows and rows of expensive waterproof jackets....with the security tag through the arm.
keiji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:08 AM   #23
lhendrik
Truffle Rustler

Oddometer: 2,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorcy View Post
i had some gore-tex gloves from alpinestar... got them right before a cross-country trip ...epic fail the first day...soaked thru within 20 minutes. I actually think someone left the gore-tex liner out! They were made in china so...who knows what happened...alpinestar took them back ,no problem...except i had to use them till i got to canada... Anyway,if you want waterproof... Rain Off gloves...new zealand..40 bucks when i bought mine...i've had them for years...awesome!!!!
$73 now, pass.
Old 02-09-2013, 11:11 AM   #24
max384
Disgruntled Student

Oddometer: 3,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamikazekyle View Post
A can of plasti-dip.

Seriously. I've used that to waterproof several things. I originally used it to get some extra grip with my 'stich rain overgloves, but found it permiated the fabric and bonded really well. So I gave the rest of them a light coating and boom, totally waterproof for any rain I've been through. I did the same with my rain suit -- which was already mostly waterproof for being a cheap, breathable fabric -- and it did wonders. Recently I took a pair of fleece gloves with thermalite insulation (totally non waterproof and completely air permiable), sprayed on two coats, and used them while washing my vehicles with a bucket of soap and water. I only got leakage at a spot I missed near the cuff (which I didn't spray).

Beyond that, any glove with a Gore-Tex membrane that's bound to the outer shell. You really want to get the waterproof layer bonded to the shell if possible so water won't pool between layers, and to help keep the cold out for winter gloves. If the gloves have leather shells, make sure to waterproof the leather with nikwax/snoseal/mink oil/silicone. Otherwise it might become too saturated and leak through the waterproofing membrane. I can't say I've had genuine Gore-Tex fail because of this, but the only Gore-Tex item I've had through really bad rain was my boots, which I've waterproofed the leather shell anyway. Or better yet, actual Gore-Tex'd leather, though I dunno if they have gloves out of that yet or not.

I've had some luck with Spidi's off-brand Gore-Tex (H2Out or something), but the gloves themselves are coming apart after only one year.
I had actually started a thread on doing this a few months ago, but ultimately decided not to. How does the plasti-dip hold up to repeated opening and closing of your hands? How much dexterity do you lose?

Here is an interesting new product:

I'd love to give this a try on a pair of gloves... But the smallest quantity that you can order is a quart of bottom coat ($63) and a quart of top coat ($106). I'm not willing to spend $170 for a waterproof coating... At least not until others have thoroughly tested it. If it truly works as well as claimed and lasts a long time, it might be well worth $170 to waterproof all my gear.

Newfoundland 2012

James Bay 2014
max384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:33 AM   #25
Xeraux
Archvillain

Oddometer: 30,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by max384 View Post
I had actually started a thread on doing this a few months ago, but ultimately decided not to. How does the plasti-dip hold up to repeated opening and closing of your hands? How much dexterity do you lose?

Here is an interesting new product:

I'd love to give this a try on a pair of gloves... But the smallest quantity that you can order is a quart of bottom coat ($63) and a quart of top coat ($106). I'm not willing to spend $170 for a waterproof coating... At least not until others have thoroughly tested it. If it truly works as well as claimed and lasts a long time, it might be well worth $170 to waterproof all my gear.
The video suggests "excessive handling, especially with bare hands" can result in a "reduction in performance".

I don't think this is your answer for gloves.

If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl.
Xeraux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:43 AM   #26
max384
Disgruntled Student

Oddometer: 3,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeraux View Post
The video suggests "excessive handling, especially with bare hands" can result in a "reduction in performance".

I don't think this is your answer for gloves.
Yeah, I saw that... but if you read the warnings and cautions on virtually any of the products that we use they all caution you that they may not work properly when used the way most everyone generally uses them. You may be right, and that product would be almost useless for gloves, but I wouldn't discount it just because of that warning. However, I'm not willing to spend $170 to see if I'm right.

Newfoundland 2012

James Bay 2014
max384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 01:03 PM   #27
I GS 1
I 90S I

Oddometer: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorcy View Post
My gore-tex gloves from Alpinestar are equally useless when it comes to keeping out rain
On a recent group ride in which we did 500+ km in heavy rain, at our last stop the only person with dry hands had BMW gore-tex so I have bought a pair and am now waiting for some heavy rain.
I GS 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:35 PM   #28
markgsnw
WTF?

Oddometer: 3,586
I'm in my second winter with Held Warm N Drys. They are excellent, certainly dry here in western Oregon daily riding. These are the first pair of actually dry gloves I've had. Warm down to 45 degrees or so, then the hand warmers get turned on.

2011 Moto Guzzi Norge 8V GT
markgsnw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 12:43 AM   #29
KingOfFleece
SplitWeight(tm)

Oddometer: 741
I've had two pair of A-Star gloves leak right out of the box. I'll give gloves and boots the bucket test prior to using them on the road. QC is NOT what it used to be so I do my own.
KingOfFleece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:44 AM   #30
NJ Moto
Running Free

Oddometer: 7,409
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhendrik View Post
$73 now, pass.
Found them here for $55. http://www.digitalprovisions.com/Mer...=RAINOFFGLOVES

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuKeu...feature=relmfu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYqF_BtIwAU
"Can we get a party to finally represent us?" - Cenk Uygur