User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2010, 10:43 AM   #1
Wambo OP
On the road to nowhere

Oddometer: 276
ST1300 vs GL1800-Anyone ridden both?

Actually, I posted this question in the "Think I'm gonna buy a GL1800" thread since a poster queried comparing the R1200RT to the Goldwing, but got no takers. Serves me right for trying to hijack a thread! I still would like to know anyone's thoughts on the comparison, as it's a significant cost jump to the GL1800 over the ST1300. I've found a place to rent a Goldwing and will try it on the 13th of July, but to get a test of a ST is impossible unless you put money down on one.

Is it worth it, or is the ST better overall?

2011 Triumph Bonneville SE
Wambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 12:13 PM   #2
FXRBILL
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Go over here and ask http://www.st-owners.com/ There are many members in the Portland area that someone would probably let you have a test ride.
Old 06-20-2010, 01:44 PM   #3
doxiedog
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 932
My son had a st1300,and now has a gl1800.
The st was hot to ride,the gl cooler.
Still wishes he had the st sometimes.
Old 06-20-2010, 01:51 PM   #4
badweatherbiker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 708
personally I found the ST way more enjoyable to ride on a daily basis, again that's my opinion. The GL is an absolute road warrior but it's just a little less inspiring.
badweatherbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 01:52 PM   #5
Deputy_Dawg
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
I've ridden the ST1100 and owned a GL1100, but not the newer ones as you asked about, but......

Check these out:

http://www.sport-touring.net/forums/...ic,3267.0.html

And, over at ST-Owners, a whole section on this topic:

http://www.st-owners.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=159
Old 06-20-2010, 01:53 PM   #6
Big Steve
Banned

Oddometer: 2,431
The ST13 sounds like a motorboat, the GL18 a Porsche.

Apples and oranges, you should try both if at all possible.
Big Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 03:16 PM   #7
Desertbilly
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,068
I had a GL1800 for three years, and demo'd an ST before that. The ST is classical Honda in that it works perfectly but is very neutral in terms of character or panache.

The GL is surprisingly easy to ride, and works very well in twisties, down to the ground clearance feelers. It's heavy, obviously, but is great for long touring. The engine is a joy. I liked the luggage, audio, and cruise. Mine was an '05 and the suspension started getting loose around 15k. I got the Traction Dynamics rebuild, and it was nice on smooth roads, but annoying everywhere else. I traded it for a C14.

The short answer is if a GL is too big, choose the ST. If the GL feels great, you'll love it.
Desertbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 03:28 PM   #8
Wambo OP
On the road to nowhere

Oddometer: 276
Thanks guys, for the info so far. I really appreciate the links as well. Since I frequent this site so much and it has such a diverse group of riders, I figured SOMEBODY had gone through this before me. If anyone else has any insight, feel free to add to the info posted so far.

By the way Deputy_Dawg, even though those particular models weren't the ones I was looking at, what was your experience?

2011 Triumph Bonneville SE
Wambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 03:33 PM   #9
Infallible
Into the Wild Blue Yonder

Oddometer: 1,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertbilly
I had a GL1800 for three years, and demo'd an ST before that. The ST is classical Honda in that it works perfectly but is very neutral in terms of character or panache.

The GL is surprisingly easy to ride, and works very well in twisties, down to the ground clearance feelers. It's heavy, obviously, but is great for long touring. The engine is a joy. I liked the luggage, audio, and cruise. Mine was an '05 and the suspension started getting loose around 15k. I got the Traction Dynamics rebuild, and it was nice on smooth roads, but annoying everywhere else. I traded it for a C14.

The short answer is if a GL is too big, choose the ST. If the GL feels great, you'll love it.
How does the Concours compare to the ST1300?
Infallible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 06:31 PM   #10
ST-DocLizard1
Serial Monogamist

Oddometer: 861
2-up=GL1800

solo=ST1300

Just my 2 cents.

Doc
ST-DocLizard1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 12:55 PM   #11
Desertbilly
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infallible
How does the Concours compare to the ST1300?
It may be five years since I rode the ST for 20 minutes, but from what I recall, it was smooth and neutral. The bike sort of disappeared from my consciousness. It really approached the concept of a transparent motorcycle appliance, doing its job very well, but doing it in the background.

The C14 is much more visceral and involving. In a way, it's a big, comfy, 600-lb sportbike. You wind it up to 9k in first, and it's 70mph with traffic disappearing in the mirrors. You keep going in second, and you're looking hard for cops. It's a little warm, but not prohibitively, and the keyless ignition is a little annoying. It can be a little raw when you're getting on the throttle, but it's also a pretty comfy hot rod on a curvy road. It's a great bike for many riders, but not all. Also, riders with inseams of 32" and up tend to like it. Those with inseams of 30" and lower prefer FJR's.

That said, I'm leaning toward changing it into an RT in the next year, because I'm looking to go back to a little more tour-oriented, with a little more comfortable ergo's and a few more touring amenities.
Desertbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 06:47 PM   #12
KHVol
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,478
I owned an ST1300 for 4 years,had a great motor, handled well for a big bike, would do throttle wheelies..and it was also the hottest most miserable bike in heat that I have ever ridden... unbearable over 90 degrees....the heat blows rigght back on your cajones and inner thigh , where there is mass blood supply which then makes you hot all over. I acctually didn't even ride it for the last 3 years of ownership. I do not recommend an ST1300, major disappointment.

Rode a GL for 7 days , running Utah. Problem free, awfully big, great protection, plenty of power, flawless performer, all day comfortable, something few bikes are. I'm not a big fan of big bikes but the GL would be my pick over the ST, 100 to 1. Actually, can't imagine buying another ST for any reason .
Old 06-24-2010, 07:41 PM   #13
Vbird
In Room 237

Oddometer: 784
Put 22k on a ST13. Nice bike for touring but not really suited for the kind of riding I do. The "heat issue" was cured (for me) by installing the optional wind deflectors. Wish I had them from day one.
Most of the guys I rode with from the STowners forum either downsized to smaller bikes (like me) or went to the Wing. The Wing makes alot of sense if you're looking for comfort and extra stuff- like reverse. Whats another 150 pounds or so when the bikes are over 700 pounds already?

Just my .02
Vbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 09:14 PM   #14
ki-speed
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
The ST1300 top heavy. The GW is heavier but it has a lower center of gravity.

Below is my post from another forum. Just my .02

I got into motorcycling late (46) and bought a 2003 Honda VFR as my first bike. My wife road on the back some and we even did a Colorado trip (million dollar highway, Hwy 50, etc). She flew to Montrose and I rode up. Then we did day rides in the Mountains (200 -275 miles a day on 3 different days). She was a real trooper and we had a great time. But she said if you want me to go on longer rides with you you have to get a bike that is more comfortable for the passenger. Well we went to the dealer and she sat on and ST1300, Concours 1400 and then a Goldwing. That was it. She said the GW would have to be it. That scared the hell out of me. I'm a little guy 5 ft 7 150 lbs. I always thought the GW was so big it would fall over on me at a stop light and crush me. Well the dealer rolled a new one out for a test ride. After the first 5 minutes and few miles I could not believe how the bike felt. Now I'm no racer so that's not what I'm saying. It just rides like it's a lot smaller than it really is. So we bought (Nov 2008) a new 2009 Goldwing with ABS. I've put 13,000 miles on it (approx. 6000 two-up). I'm real comfortable with how I handle the bike, the only real issue is sometimes slow speed (parking lot like) maneuvers can be a little tuff. The wife loves it. We have done several 500-600 mile days. I still have the VFR (60,000 miles) to keep me feeling younger. Bottom line the Goldwing is probably the best two-up bike straight from the factory.
ki-speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 07:31 AM   #15
Crashresq
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Wambo, kind of a tough question to answer. If you are looking for two up riding that your significant other will thoroughly enjoy (and be eager to go on rides), spend the extra and by the GL. I have an '02 that I purchased in '06 with 8000 miles on it. Yesterday, it showed 78,540 and most of those have been with the wife on the back.

That being said, I have an 02 R1150RT that I ride for solo trips and commuting my 50 miles each way to work each day that I find to be "funner". I did own and ST1300 for approximately 6 months and did not have a good experience with it... too hot and I believe I got a "monday" bike - it was plagued with maintenance issues.

The GL has TONS of power, superb ride and can be ridden quite aggressively (get good tires and watch the pressure constantly). We love ours and will always have one (of course, I will always have my "solo" bike too )

Bill & Laura
Okmulgee, OK

'02 Piedmont Red BMW R1150RT
'02 Illusion Red GL1800
'88 White 50cc Honda Elite
Crashresq is offline   Reply With Quote