Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2013, 01:57 PM   #136
Nevada
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 300
argggghhh!!! It looks like a DN-01 and NC700 had a love child. YUCK. And as far as that "cruiser riding position" goes, double yuck.
Nevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 01:58 PM   #137
NC Scott
MOmymamamamaMOmymama

Oddometer: 1,502
No, I think this is what he meant. A 700 Honda for everyone!

Old 02-08-2013, 02:23 PM   #138
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,237
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Scott View Post
No, I think this is what he meant. A 700 Honda for everyone!

That's the one...Or the old one before the new motor next year..

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 02:33 PM   #139
kpmsprtd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 126
What a non-announcement! So how many versions of the same bike will Honda make? They are running hard with this idea of "multiple bikes off the same platform." I am more grateful than ever to the small band of Honda employees who managed to get the CB1100 produced. They snuck out one real motorcycle, and I must do my best to support them by buying it.

This non-announcement certainly makes my purchasing decision easier. I would have had some serious internal debate if Honda had deigned to let us have the VFR1200X Crosstourer as a choice.
kpmsprtd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 02:51 PM   #140
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,355
I've never been more torn by a new model announcement to commend or denounce.

On one hand, Honda is going seriously out on a limb to try something different here with these CTX's. They're attempting to market to a wholly different segment of riders who are much more cruiser-oriented rather than performance-oriented, but also want a more intelligent, practical, and safer motorcycle than a Harley or any metric cruiser. And doing it at a price point that is compelling.

On the downside, I'm not sure there are that many people who want a "practical cruiser". And these bikes are seriously ugly and seriously flawed with respect to ergos, fuel capacity, and weather protection. Finally, this continued bundling of DCT and ABS doesn't make any sense from a sales standpoint, so it must be a deliberate attempt to try and force DCT into wider acceptance and play into Honda's overall plan to make automatics ubiquitous in the motorcycle world like they are in cars.

I don't know exactly why but these CTX bikes really rub me the wrong way. Maybe it is the heavy-handed way Honda seems to be making the sales pitch. I thought Honda learned its lesson with the new VFR that it is better to under-exaggerate and over-deliver than vice-versa. I'm tired of them screaming "New, New, New.... bike to revolutionize motorcycling." Let the product do more of the talking.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 02:53 PM   #141
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,394
I was hoping for some totally new bike, hopefully something in the 900 - 1000 range, with shaft drive preferably. Unfortunately this is not really a new bike, it's just a different format for an already released bike.

I hope it does well. I don't know if one will make it to my garage or not. It's possible, but the odds aren't good. I doubt Mrs. B could see the wisdom of owning a second motorcycle. I have to admit though, if it had been something like the CBF1000 or the CB1300 Bol d'Or, I would probably be

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 03:03 PM   #142
YJake
Roaming

Oddometer: 321
If they are going after BMW's F800GT they failed hard. Even with the price point in mind I have no idea what they were thinking.

-Jake
Old 02-08-2013, 03:09 PM   #143
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,237
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post
.... so it must be a deliberate attempt to try and force DCT into wider acceptance and play into Honda's overall plan to make automatics ubiquitous in the motorcycle world like they are in cars.
I didn't think you were a conspiracy theorist Mark. This is a whole new side of you I didn't think existed.

By the way I'd turn that web cam off if I were you..

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 03:18 PM   #144
stripple
Runnin' Hard

Oddometer: 599
Doesn't anybody remember laughter?

Honda, you were once my favorite. I mourn the loss of what you used to be. Thank god for Kawasali, they still have the spirit of fun...

These bikes are atrocious.
Old 02-08-2013, 03:27 PM   #145
ph0rk
Doesn't Care

Oddometer: 2,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpmsprtd View Post
They are running hard with this idea of "multiple bikes off the same platform."
Honda was always this way. The original Civic, Accord, and Prelude were the same frame, variants on the same motor. They aren't really alone, either.

When you think about it, the more bikes they can stick an engine in, the better. It is pretty stupid to have an engine only in a single model.
Old 02-08-2013, 03:29 PM   #146
JerryH
Banned

Oddometer: 5,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by xrcris View Post
These are aimed at the burgeoning commuter market?

OK, I can understand trying to tap the cherry rider segment, but Honda has that covered with what's already out; the CBR250, the CRF250L, the NC700 and those CB 500 things. More derivatives of the same bike won't attract a larger group of new riders, it'll be just trying to sell a larger pool of bikes to the same people who were (hopefully) going to walk through the door anyway.

While on the topic, it takes a fair bit of commitment to commute on a motorcycle; especially the way some of you have described it as an alternative to high gas prices and driving. And for those who really want to save money are are willing to give it a shot, there's an assload of used bikes on Craigslist, because face it we're cheapasses.
The CRF250L is a dual sport, not a commuter. It's not even a good dual sport, the gas tank is too small, and it has no place to carry anything. Maybe the aftermarket will come to the rescue

The CBR250, NC700, and those CB500 things all have sportbike riding positions. Not everyone wants to be twisted up into a pretzel to ride a motorcycle.

And yes, the cruiser riding position does put all your weight on your ass, where it should be. Having to support half your weight with your arms and shoulders is not what I would call comfortable. And having to crane your neck all the way back to see where you are going hurts like hell. So does having your knees bent back as far as they. In order to get max comfort from a cruiser, you do have to have something to lean back against, so you are not trying to pull yourself forward. Hopefully someone will make a riders backrest for this bike, if not you can always strap a sleeping bag to the passenger part of the seat for support. The cruiser riding position is almost exactly the same as the position you are in when driving a car (or riding a scooter) Sitting in a nice comfortable seat with a back, feet forward, steering wheel close enough to easily reach with a good bend in your elbows. No pressure on your arms, legs, or back. Your neck is straight, so there is no stress there either. Recliners have this sitting position. Recumbent bicycles have it. The Goldwing, HD ElectraGlide, (and the former Yamaha Venture, Suzuki Cavalcade, and Kawasaki Voyager XII) all use(d) this riding position, and they were all designed for cross country travel. And what I just described above is the reason. Comfort. I'm almost 54, and well past the "boy racer" stage. I still want to ride long distances, but without the pain. And preferably on something smaller than a Goldwing. This bike looks like it might just do the trick. I would not go for the automatic version, I have a couple of CVT scooters, and they won't climb mountains. I ride a lot in mountains, and need the low gearing of a manual transmission. And of course no ABS for me. It's really nice they give you a choice.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 03:36 PM   #147
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,513
I guess that makes sense, if you drive a motorcycle.
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 03:37 PM   #148
ph0rk
Doesn't Care

Oddometer: 2,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
And yes, the cruiser riding position does put all your weight on your ass, where it should be.

This is ergonomically incorrect.
Old 02-08-2013, 03:40 PM   #149
HondaFanatic OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 398
And even more to come...

From the CycleWorld article:

"But wait, that’s not all. The release goes on to state: “These new models introduced today are just the first in a whole new family of CTX products of various displacements and engine configurations that will be rolled out in the future."

Interesting. Honda is seriously going after new riders. With the line of new 500cc Twins it announced a couple of months ago, along with CBR and CRF250s and now these new CTXs, Honda has laid out a veritable smorgasbord of affordable new models no other manufacturer comes close to matching. Somebody told us Honda plans to have nine new models under $8K by 2014, which means it still has a few to go."
'

HondaFanatic screwed with this post 02-08-2013 at 04:12 PM
HondaFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 03:42 PM   #150
CGameProgrammer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 315
I've added this to cycle-ergo. Click Add Motorcycle, click Recently Added, and it's at the top. Riding position is bolt upright but the legs are stretched far forward; further than on the DN-01. Seat height is indeed very low though.

CGameProgrammer screwed with this post 02-08-2013 at 06:22 PM
CGameProgrammer is offline   Reply With Quote