Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2013, 07:25 AM   #481
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by xrcris View Post
Exciting!? Ya'll must really be looking forward to spring when you can get outside and start watching the grass grow again.....
I have big plans for this year. In addition to watching the grass grow, I am planning to watch some paint dry. Be still my heart!

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:55 AM   #482
kpmsprtd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
In addition to Honda's CTX (Comfort Technology Experience) series, I've been reading about BMW's UMVs (Urban Mobility Vehicles), especially the C 650 GT (includes heated grips and seat). All it would take is one job change to see me on one of these things. It would get me to work in half the time at less than half the cost. California weather is rideable most of the year assuming decent weather protection.

Disclaimer: Serious gridlock on the roadways and another recent spike in gas prices have me thinking about creative solutions. Obviously, Honda and BMW were preparing for this day long before I reached my limit.
kpmsprtd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:57 AM   #483
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpmsprtd View Post
In addition to Honda's CTX (Comfort Technology Experience) series, I've been reading about BMW's UMVs (Urban Mobility Vehicles), especially the C 650 GT (includes heated grips and seat). All it would take is one job change to see me on one of these things. It would get me to work in half the time at less than half the cost. California weather is rideable most of the year assuming decent weather protection.

Disclaimer: Serious gridlock on the roadways and another recent spike in gas prices have me thinking about creative solutions. Obviously, Honda and BMW were preparing for this day long before I reached my limit.
The BMWs wil be a lot more to buy; estimated 10,000 here, compared to about 7,000 for the 700X.
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 11:41 AM   #484
McJamie
STROMINATOR

Oddometer: 1,319
I just skimmed through the thread.
A 3.0 gallon gas tank and forward controls say "poser bike" to me. Make the customer feel comfy and confident in the show room, and they'll buy it. Having said that, anything that brings more people into motorcycling a good thing. I doubt very much it's targeted at experienced riders.
To my eyes, it looks like they had too many DN-01 bits laying around and had to come up with a use for them.
They are also keeping production costs down by using existing parts and tooling to create a "new" bike. In todays economy, that's how you stay in business.
Old 02-15-2013, 01:17 PM   #485
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,070
Quote:
Originally Posted by McJamie View Post
A 3.0 gallon gas tank and forward controls say "poser bike" to me.
That will give you a 150 - 180 mile range. By that criteria a Ducati is even more of a poser bike.

(which is often true I must say, judging by the chicken strips I often see on them)

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 01:31 PM   #486
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

I have been lurking the BMW F800GT thread. I must say, I am intrigued. That's a good looking bike. Hard bags, ABS, great gas mileage, and belt drive. That's a pretty serious one - two punch!

But the price is pretty steep, and I doubt the ergos would work for me. Still. It is something I would like to take a look at in the showroom.

When they came out with the F800R, I just KNEW I wanted one. I even asked the dealer to call me as soon as they had one I could look at. He did, and I did. As soon as I swung a leg over it, I knew it wasn't for me. oh well...

Travels with Maw Maw
Old 02-15-2013, 03:42 PM   #487
ph0rk
Doesn't Care

Oddometer: 2,046
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbreeze View Post
I have been lurking the BMW F800GT thread. I must say, I am intrigued. That's a good looking bike. Hard bags, ABS, great gas mileage, and belt drive. That's a pretty serious one - two punch!

But the price is pretty steep, and I doubt the ergos would work for me. Still. It is something I would like to take a look at in the showroom.

When they came out with the F800R, I just KNEW I wanted one. I even asked the dealer to call me as soon as they had one I could look at. He did, and I did. As soon as I swung a leg over it, I knew it wasn't for me. oh well...
Its funny how different a bike can feel than we think it should feel.

I too was in love with the f800r, and it took four weeks of trying to really have a relationship with it before I had to kick it out of bed.

Who knows how nice one of these things might feel? They'll probably still get more miles to a tank than an f800r
Old 02-16-2013, 01:05 PM   #488
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

is it just me, or are the same people who have been complaining about Honda in this thread now complaining about Yamaha in the new Yamaha thread?

sheesh!

Travels with Maw Maw
Old 02-16-2013, 01:12 PM   #489
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Quote:
is it just me, or are the same people who have been complaining about Honda in this thread now complaining about Yamaha in the new Yamaha thread?

sheesh!
The new KTM Duke 390 is coming to the USA. 44bhp, 136kg.

I am joyously awaiting the 8 pages moaning that it's made in India.

edit: oops, just realised I took a shot at Yamaha in that thread!!
IBA #40578

RaY YreKa screwed with this post 02-16-2013 at 01:42 PM
Old 02-16-2013, 02:18 PM   #490
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,808
Quote:

sheesh!
I would expect nothing but complaining about the new Yamaha from most of this forum. After all, it is obviously a CRUISER, and this site has been called "anti-cruiser" by at least one member.

As for all the haters on this thread, I was out riding my Vulcan 750 earlier today, and having a great time (beautiful weather) and came upon a group of riders? on what I consider to be the most horrendous vehicle ever, Goldwing trikes. I admit I can't stand the things, and it bugs me even more that a perfectly good motorcycle (to my way of thinking) was sacrificed to built them. I would NEVER consider riding/driving one of those abominations. BUT, that is just the way I feel. I don't go around bashing them. If that is what their owners want, more power to them.

I may be in a position at some point where I cannot ride a 2 wheeler at all. But I will not give up. While I can't stand those trikes, I do like sidecars, and that is probably what I will get. Riding a bike of any kind will always be way more fun than driving a car.

To anyone out there who rides a motorcycle converted into a trike, I mean no offense by this post. I simply stated how I feel about them. My feelings are no more important or meaningful than yours. Not everybody likes the same kind of bike. I just posted my feelings as an example of how such things can come across to others. Whatever you ride, ride safe.
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 04:17 PM   #491
Davidc83
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by McJamie View Post
I just skimmed through the thread.
A 3.0 gallon gas tank and forward controls say "poser bike" to me. Make the customer feel comfy and confident in the show room, and they'll buy it. Having said that, anything that brings more people into motorcycling a good thing. I doubt very much it's targeted at experienced riders.
To my eyes, it looks like they had too many DN-01 bits laying around and had to come up with a use for them.
They are also keeping production costs down by using existing parts and tooling to create a "new" bike. In todays economy, that's how you stay in business.
Looked at them yesterday at the Indy show. There are no pieces of these bikes related to the dn01. Even the automatic version is a complete different auto then the dn01. The only existing parts is the engine and tranny they share with the nc700. They actually look better in person then on their website. The Ctx is to compete against the 650 v-star. They have a 28" seat height for shorter people but they put forward controls which the same shorter people can't really reach easily.
Davidc83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 05:10 PM   #492
MHaz01
I Used To Be Faster

Oddometer: 216
All this fussin' about how the CTX700 looks when most here have never actually seen one on static display.

How you feel about a motorcycle should be a lot like having sex with someone in a pitch black room: Don't much care what it looks like as long as it feels really good when you're riding.
Old 02-17-2013, 05:33 PM   #493
dirtdreamer50
long time rider

Oddometer: 1,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by MHaz01 View Post
All this fussin' about how the CTX700 looks when most here have never actually seen one on static display.

How you feel about a motorcycle should be a lot like having sex with someone in a pitch black room: Don't much care what it looks like as long as it feels really good when you're riding.
Sounds like you are trying to relay a two bagger story from your past. heeheehee... Been there, too.

I have a feeling that the CTX line will be a success for Honda, regardless what is said on this thread. I'm not understanding the reason for the cover at the front of the muffler. I think that they are using auto engineers for this line's development, There are some insanely ugly cruiser and crotch rocket customs out there, that it seems almost anything will sell today... tp
dirtdreamer50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 05:44 PM   #494
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

You guys and girls in the USA really should buy some of these.

Because in 10 years I don't want to reading on ADV about what great bikes they turned out to be, but some phantom tyre-kickers never laid down any cash.

Cruisers make up 53% of your market. The USA is the hardest market to crack, bar none. Bizarrely, this seems to have nothing to do with the actual motorcycles.

I can't think of any other country where one segment dominates like that. Where marketing has so over-taken utility or common sense.

Difference is good. Diversity is good.

And these bikes, for your market, make 2-wheels affordable for, what, 30-35%% of the price of a prime HD?

Even if 1 in 5 of the NTX buyers go on to explore motorcycles in more depth, surely that's to be celebrated?
IBA #40578

Old 02-17-2013, 06:09 PM   #495
dirtdreamer50
long time rider

Oddometer: 1,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaY YreKa View Post
You guys and girls in the USA really should buy some of these.

Because in 10 years I don't want to reading on ADV about what great bikes they turned out to be, but some phantom tyre-kickers never laid down any cash.

Cruisers make up 53% of your market. The USA is the hardest market to crack, bar none. Bizarrely, this seems to have nothing to do with the actual motorcycles.

I can't think of any other country where one segment dominates like that. Where marketing has so over-taken utility or common sense.

Difference is good. Diversity is good.

And these bikes, for your market, make 2-wheels affordable for, what, 30-35%% of the price of a prime HD?

Even if 1 in 5 of the NTX buyers go on to explore motorcycles in more depth, surely that's to be celebrated?
Ray, what so many folk in other countries don't realize is just how many loooooong straight roads we have in the USA. Cruiser type bikes work well on these super slabs, especially our Interstate systems. It's not much fun traveling 4-600 miles on a hiway all bent up on a super sport. Besides it's tough to look bad azz with leather vest and chaps, head band/doorags, and tats, on a crotch rocket. Just sayin'...tp
dirtdreamer50 is offline   Reply With Quote