Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2013, 05:56 PM   #511
dirtdreamer50
long time rider

Oddometer: 1,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by GREY.HOUND View Post
Thanks for the responses to my questions everyone. I am interested in seeing how the long term goes with these bikes.
I guess long term depends on whether they initially sell or not. If so good for Honda. If not, they may be a cult classic in 20 more years, but only the fickle public and time will tell. I hope they are successful, so they will present us with more bikes, in the future...
dirtdreamer50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 06:40 PM   #512
GREY.HOUND
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 265
Yes, I agree. The more we buy, the more options we get. I hear the same thing in battle scooters. "That bike isn't available in the US" It's frustrating, whether it's a scooter or motorcycle, something made but not offered here drives us all mad.
GREY.HOUND is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:00 AM   #513
Podman
Rocketman

Oddometer: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtdreamer50 View Post
Ray, what so many folk in other countries don't realize is just how many loooooong straight roads we have in the USA. Cruiser type bikes work well on these super slabs, especially our Interstate systems. It's not much fun traveling 4-600 miles on a hiway all bent up on a super sport. Besides it's tough to look bad azz with leather vest and chaps, head band/doorags, and tats, on a crotch rocket. Just sayin'...tp

Try riding back from burlington, Vt to columbus, Oh - 1 on a RC51; 1 on a VFR - never got above 50 - rained 95% of the time KTM is a bit more comfortable now at 61. I think these bikes will do very well and applaud Honda for trying this direction.
Podman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:26 AM   #514
dirtdreamer50
long time rider

Has the time for the CTX arrived?

Seems that Honda must have gotten the memo that Gas prices would be sky rocketing world wide in 2013, and built the CTX and NC lines to be economical alternatives to the low mpg vehicles sitting in driveways everywhere, especially here in the USA.

Day 36 now where gas pricing has gone up, and it is still not even driving/vacation season, yet. This may make the CTX/NC, and even the CB500's big sellers, if prices don't start correcting themselves, soon.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:49 PM   #515
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,002
Quote:
Seems that Honda must have gotten the memo that Gas prices would be sky rocketing world wide in 2013, and built the CTX and NC lines to be economical alternatives to the low mpg vehicles sitting in driveways everywhere, especially here in the USA.
Honda actually has a few people watching the oil situation, but it is also a fairly Japanese thing to tend to "tread lightly on the Earth". Except where whales are concerned obviously

Quote:
Moore's Law for transistor count is ending, but now there's Moors' Law for oil and it says gasoline -- US national average -- will be $7 in 2017 as oil reaches $120 a barrel. The law is named for Kent Moors, a professor Duquense U. Specifically, the price of oil and the number of cars in China, which drives it, double every 5 years. These prices change everything in society.
So if that pans out...

My guess is not quite that bad.

There is plenty of crappy oil out there but the reason it's still there is it is far more expensive to produce than what we are used to.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:08 AM   #516
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,623
If gas prices reach $7 a gallon, it will devastate the economy. We already have 15% unemployment in my area, and those are the ones who are still looking. The ones that do have jobs burn a fortune in gas getting to them and back home. Many could not make ends meet if gas hit $5 a gallon. And most of those people are not going to go from driving cars to riding motorcycles. God I hope not. Can you imagine the carnage? Hundreds of people seriously injured or killed every day? Insurance rates would soon get the survivors off the motorcycles, but it would ruin things for those that do know how to ride as well.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 02:35 PM   #517
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
If gas prices reach $7 a gallon, it will devastate the economy. We already have 15% unemployment in my area, and those are the ones who are still looking. The ones that do have jobs burn a fortune in gas getting to them and back home. Many could not make ends meet if gas hit $5 a gallon. And most of those people are not going to go from driving cars to riding motorcycles. God I hope not. Can you imagine the carnage? Hundreds of people seriously injured or killed every day? Insurance rates would soon get the survivors off the motorcycles, but it would ruin things for those that do know how to ride as well.
I think you folks in the USA will be better protected that some regions. I'm in the UK, and we kinda get raped by the triple-whammy of high gas tax, depleted North Sea reserves, and being Dick Turpin'ed by Russia and other pipeline captains.

The end result has been the doubling of prices in the last 8 years. Not quite the 5 year cycle based on China's huge expansion, but not that far off.

What that has meant is a serious reconsideration of what bikes are for, or - another way - why you ride.

Big miles will become about small capacity, imho. The larger cc bikes, beautiful and beguiling though they are, will become the province of low annual miles and low use, with 'pride of ownership' taking the place of riding experience (or, rather, the experience of places and times the bike takes you to).

It's the short hit, the coke rush, not the drawn out mellow of a good liquor. For some people that is absolutely why they own bikes anyway, so not much will change. And that's cool, really.

The change for regular riders could be significant. But, as I said, North America may escape the worst of this. Your administration, from what I read, is trying hard to make you self-sufficient in terms of energy (oil). Who knows?

The best selling bikes here are 125cc. There has been an assumption that these are 17-year old riders, new to motorcycles.

I'm not so sure; if you are 17 here, you have to ride with Learner Plates, and I'm seeing more 125s with no plates at all. The implication is these are full-licence holders, perhaps on 125cc to save money.
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond

RaY YreKa screwed with this post 02-23-2013 at 02:46 PM
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 04:08 PM   #518
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,001
Ray, where are you?

thanks

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 04:22 PM   #519
dirtdreamer50
long time rider

""The change for regular riders could be significant. But, as I said, North America may escape the worst of this. Your administration, from what I read, is trying hard to make you self-sufficient in terms of energy (oil). Who knows?""

Ray, if that is what your media is telling you, they are telling a BIG lie. Reagan and Bush worked at increasing US production, but obama has done everything to stop production here...The moratorium on deep well E&P, off and onshore lease sales limited, and stopping the Keystone Pipeline from being built are just a few examples. He's made it clear that he wants petroleum run vehicles to be a thing of the past, with no replacement in place...
Old 02-23-2013, 06:04 PM   #520
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbreeze View Post
Ray, where are you?

thanks
North West UK.

I junked my own car in favour of a lease; 33mpg vs 62mpg. It's a salary deduction, but over 12 months the lease comes out ahead due to fuel prices. I'm not a car fan, not by a long way, but when I did the figures it was an eye-opener.

I had the great pleasure of riding 3000-miles in Oregon and California, thanks to some great friends I made via this forum. $14 to fill the tank on a 650GS. I haven't paid that here since 2003 or 2004.

So, it's become a hard choice. I can own a low-power, low insurance, bike that I can ride a lot, or a high torque/2up bike I can afford to ride once a month.

And, up here in RW, I apologise for my sometimes ratty demeanour. When it's gas or food, or bike or rent, it gets hard reading about 'adding one to the stable'.

That said, the USA Inmates should rejoice in the availability of cheap biking, and cheap bhp.
IBA #40578

Old 02-23-2013, 06:07 PM   #521
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Quote:
""The change for regular riders could be significant. But, as I said, North America may escape the worst of this. Your administration, from what I read, is trying hard to make you self-sufficient in terms of energy (oil). Who knows?""

Ray, if that is what your media is telling you, they are telling a BIG lie. Reagan and Bush worked at increasing US production, but obama has done everything to stop production here...The moratorium on deep well E&P, off and onshore lease sales limited, and stopping the Keystone Pipeline from being built are just a few examples. He's made it clear that he wants petroleum run vehicles to be a thing of the past, with no replacement in place...
I didn't mean to be political with that post.

Over here insurance is up 40% in 4 years, similar for gas/electricity in homes.

We're told this will only get worse.

Wages are flat or worse, since 2008.

For many years I defined myself by motorcycle ownership; because I love riding them so much, because I didn't want to become Homer Simpson.

Well, y'know, doh
IBA #40578

Old 02-23-2013, 06:32 PM   #522
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,002
Quote:

Ray, if that is what your media is telling you, they are telling a BIG lie. Reagan and Bush worked at increasing US production, but obama has done everything to stop production here.....
Ummm..Perhaps it is more about geology and technology than ideology. You may have picked the wrong ology there.

Oh and FYI, a lot of oil industry people hang out here...
http://www.theoildrum.com/

Its like a geeky adv-driller.com. You meet some of the nicest people on a drilling rig.

This ones for you Ray..
http://www.theoildrum.com/node/9833

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten

GrahamD screwed with this post 02-23-2013 at 06:42 PM
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:42 PM   #523
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post
Ummm..Perhaps it is more about geology and technology than ideology. You may have picked the wrong ology there.

Maybe the China thing is correct then.

China's consumption certainly hyped the price of carbon-fibre. Though for an average biker, carbon-fibre is basically peacock feathers anyway.

I mean, I could make similar weight savings by eating less pies.
IBA #40578

Old 02-23-2013, 07:24 PM   #524
dirtdreamer50
long time rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post

Oh and FYI, a lot of oil industry people hang out here...
http://www.theoildrum.com/

Its like a geeky adv-driller.com. You meet some of the nicest people on a drilling rig.

This ones for you Ray..
http://www.theoildrum.com/node/9833
Don't think so. The US has enough untapped petroleum reserves to be 100% self sufficient, but the current admin is working against that happening. The production down/imports up is caused by politics and the fact that for a time, it was cheaper to import than drill. We've long since passed that point, had the government not stepped in to hobble the O/G companies from doing what they do better an anyone else. Ya gotta be here to really understand what's going on here. Not politicing, just clarifying. Can't live in Houston, the petrochemical center of the nation, if not the world, and not be aware of what's going on. Not trying to start a fire storm, just have too many friends in the oil patch.
Old 02-23-2013, 07:38 PM   #525
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Quote:
Don't think so. The US has enough untapped petroleum reserves to be 100% self sufficient, but the current admin is working against that happening. The production down/imports up is caused by politics and the fact that for a time, it was cheaper to import than drill. We've long since passed that point, had the government not stepped in to hobble the O/G companies from doing what they do better an anyone else. Ya gotta be here to really understand what's going on here. Not politicing, just clarifying. Can't live in Houston, the petrochemical center of the nation, if not the world, and not be aware of what's going on. Not trying to start a fire storm, just have too many friends in the oil patch.
That's gonna get ya in the Basement ya know .

It's all conjecture.

But if you folks get fuel rises like we have, those 20mpg cars and 30mpg bikes will get old very very fast.

Even bikes made 10 years ago are predicated on a different era.
IBA #40578