Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2013, 06:08 PM   #556
dirtdreamer50
long time rider

Oddometer: 1,016
Get two or more riders on any size motorcycle, scooter or moped and say "Go!", and all sensibilities go out the window, and I thank the Good Lord for that. I've enjoyed it for 45 years, and Too Young to stop now. tp
dirtdreamer50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 06:29 PM   #557
nachtflug
infidel

Oddometer: 45,518
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtdreamer50 View Post
It's the sales of those 1L supersport bikes that allowed the AMA superbike race to happen today. Josh Herrin and Yamaha took first. Hayes destroyed his clutch and went out.

Yamaha, KTM, EBR, Suzuki, et al, were there making the race happen. If they go away, so does SBK, and it would be a shame that insurance companies could cause the elimination of a sport representing our hobby of riding... Just sayin'.
I don't give a shit those aren't street bikes they are production race bikes and the fact that 180 HP 180 MPH bikes are street legal and a WR 450 isn't is a fucking joke.
nachtflug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 07:09 PM   #558
dirtdreamer50
long time rider

I agree that more so called Dual Sport bikes should be built. Back in my early riding days every major and most minor builders had at least a half dozen of them for sale at any given time. Called them Enduros back then. I probably had eight of them from 125cc to 250cc, 2 and 4 strokes. 200lbs of fun, on and off road.

BTW, nachtflug, have you ever owned one of those production race bikes? I have, and they can and will make you wet yourself, when the bike is traveling the speeds it's most happy going. (I can tell you I wasn't very happy at those speeds... )

dirtdreamer50 screwed with this post 03-15-2013 at 07:15 PM
Old 03-15-2013, 07:44 PM   #559
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,973
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachtflug View Post
I don't give a shit those aren't street bikes they are production race bikes and the fact that 180 HP 180 MPH bikes are street legal and a WR 450 isn't is a fucking joke.

+1. The western nations are a bit strange like that.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 12:17 AM   #560
Wallachian Spikes
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 804
Quote:
Who cares 1L sport bikes being street legal, for 2 people no less, is the biggest joke there is. it's like giving someone a F1 car for under $15K and letting them drive it on the street.
I'd rather see the insurance industry go into the dust bin of history than 1L sport bikes.
Wallachian Spikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 11:58 AM   #561
nachtflug
infidel

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8dawg6 View Post
my scientific unbiased opinion is that this thing is hella ugly and probably to ride, if you're willing to be seen on it.
you're willing to be seen on an XR1200. the mounting of the rear shocks on that bike make some of the department store grade riding mower designs seem cutting edge and high tech in comparison. the swing arm/lower shock mounts on that bike look like some body mocked it up with 2 x 4's and nailed the shock to the side of it and it went straight to production. real nice work must have been what you get from Willie G when he's left to his own ability and not copying the bikes from 50 years ago.
Old 03-16-2013, 12:12 PM   #562
nachtflug
infidel

Quote:
They are more alike than you may like, but the NC and CTX share the new Honda concept of interchangeable motorcycles. One looks cruiserish, the other adventurish, but under the skin they basically handle, accelerate .and sell for about the same.
which equals cheaper to source and build and more profit for the product line. I test rode the NC700X and loved it and I'd like to ride this bagger CTX and will. I don't give a shit if it's an automatic or not I'd bet any amount of money it rides really nice.
Old 03-16-2013, 12:26 PM   #563
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,130
Quote:
which equals cheaper to source and build and more profit for the product line. I test rode the NC700X and loved it and I'd like to ride this bagger CTX and will. I don't give a shit if it's an automatic or not I'd bet any amount of money it rides really nice.
I really hope the CTX bikes aren't USA only. The 700X has been a best-seller in Yurp, against journo expectation.

The Yamaha XTZ660 also sold well on launch, also against the magazine reviews.

But that's probably because journos don't have to pay for their own insurance, or gas .

Or bikes.
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 12:31 PM   #564
Super Sneaky Steve
B@nned Club :D

Oddometer: 4,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post
+1. The western nations are a bit strange like that.
Making a WR450 illegal is strange but keeping sport bikes legal isn't.

There used to be a tradition of freedom and liberty in the US, but that's going away.

Now Beureaucrats and other nannys sit around and make rules telling us what bike to ride, among other things.
Super Sneaky Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 12:44 PM   #565
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Sneaky Steve View Post

There used to be a tradition of freedom and liberty in the US, but that's going away.

Now Beureaucrats and other nannys sit around and make rules telling us what bike to ride, among other things.
It's much worse here. In fact there was a Euro push for a Swedish plan called Project Zero, iirc. Essentially, that plan aimed for zero bikes on the road.

It was defeated, thanks not to major lobbying by corps, but by biker groups. The Euro Parliament also wanted laws passed that would prevent anyone modding a bike without approval (similar to the German TUV system).

In the end, the new A2 compliant bikes (35kW/47bhp) cannot be legally modded in the 'drive-train', eg. sprockets, end can. Higher bhp bikes are exempt.

If you are under 24, an A2 bike is all you can legally ride.

BUT, there have been two positive outcomes:

1) The new 47bhp bikes are actually quite cool

and,

2) the extended Theory Tests are to be welcomed. They aren't hard to pass, but you still need to study for them. And the manuals sneak in a lot of good info that is never formally tested.

Oh, and,

3) bikes like the Moto Guzzi V7, and some other cool retros, just sneak in on A2 law.

The suits and ties in Brussels, seeking a nut for their sledgehammer, have inadvertently created bikes for less than 5000, that are cheap to run, and are actually pretty nice.

And do 60-80mpg.

So bikers will be on the road for longer, for less.

How we laughed
IBA #40578

RaY YreKa screwed with this post 03-16-2013 at 12:51 PM
Old 03-16-2013, 02:26 PM   #566
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,973
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Sneaky Steve View Post
Look you can go on about the liberty thing all you like, but along the way people began to "lawyer up" so suddenly "duty of care" became a big buz word. Suddenly I have to put up with reverse lockouts on the car, alarms when I open doors (non government) lawyer induced BS all because of idiots. Government also got a bit sick of this and decided they better join the duty of care brigade.

Until they make it illegal to sue someone (with money) for being an idiot liberty will be a fading proposition. So fine with the 250HP sports bikes and fine with the 40HP thumpers. I personally don't care as long as I'm not held responsible through increased taxes and premiums for someone elses idiocy

I actually like some of the government initiatives on the licensing side where I live where they actually expect people to be competent bike riders but in the car side where most votes are, the lobbyists convince them to let idiots out in cars that try to kill me. But I don't like people being maimed and dying including myself.

So it depends on which rules they introduce whether I like it or not.

As a previous poster alluded to, just as with racing rules, the rules governments introduce can lead to some interesting outcomes. good or bad.

30 years ago where I lived they introduced a blanket 250cc limit on bikes for "learners". Some of the 250cc bikes available then were fast.
The they changed that to power per ton. because of that you can now get some fairly useful bikes on a learners permit.

Believe it or not the NC700 has not been approved as a learner legal bike because it is ....wait for it...too large by 10cc
Just one large desert spoon over the maximum allowed capacity on Oz. Doesn't bother me personally but I suppose an upper limit was set and that was that.

Honda lobbyists to the red phone please.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten

GrahamD screwed with this post 03-16-2013 at 02:53 PM
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 02:44 PM   #567
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post
Look you can go on about the liberty thing all you like, but along the way people began to "lawyer up" so suddenly "duty of care" became a big buz word. Suddenly I have to put up with reverse lockouts on the car, alarms when I open doors (non government) lawyer induced BS all because of idiots. Government also got a bit sick of this and decided they better join the duty of care brigade.

Until they make it illegal to sue someone (with money) for being an idiot liberty will be a fading proposition. So fine with the 250HP sports bikes and fine with the 40HP thumpers. I personally don't care as long as I'm not held responsible through increased taxes and premiums for someone elses idiocy

I actually like some of the government initiatives on the licensing side where I live where they actually expect people to be competent bike riders but in the car side where most votes are, the lobbyists let idiots out in cars that try to kill me.

So it depends on which rules they introduce whether I like it or not.

As a previous poster alluded to, just as with racing rules, the rules governments introduce can lead to some interesting outcomes. good or bad.
Yup.

In the UK, you can pass a car licence at 17 years old and drive what you like.

Ever seen a Porsche smashed into a lamp-post? I have. Rich student, expensive private plate, no fucking clue.

It's a big debate here - amongst bikers - why car tests don't include more about awareness, harzard perception, and rules of the road.

And, just to balance this, I'd like to give a big thumbs-up to drivers of trucks, lorries, and heavy goods-vehicles. Those folks, by a wide margin, have the best road-sense of anyone out there
IBA #40578

Old 03-16-2013, 02:48 PM   #568
dirtdreamer50
long time rider

Quote:
I think I may have found the reason why they are not allowed on the roads. Shame, too...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=ri76oo7leMs#!
Old 03-16-2013, 03:10 PM   #569
nachtflug
infidel

Quote:

BTW, nachtflug, have you ever owned one of those production race bikes?
no and I have no plans on ever buying one as I have no plans to begin a road racing career which is what these bikes are for. allowing them on the street is ludicrous.
Old 03-16-2013, 05:37 PM   #570
dirtdreamer50
long time rider

machtflug, Did you view the video I posted? Watching Supercross on Speed....You?