Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2013, 07:17 AM   #631
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,027
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dranrab Luap View Post
I wish Honda would make a full dress version of the CTX with ABS, Stereo, Cruise and a few power outlets. Like a small scale Goldwing.
I love your sig line. Very profound.

I thought you could get ABS on this bike already, as long as you also took the DCT. I would like to have both. This morning on my way to work, it was raining. I came over a hill and the police had traffic stopped. I was in the truck so it was not a problem, but I thought about how it was a good example of why I want ABS. I realize other folks do not agree, just stating my preference.

As for the stereo and cruise - if this bike sells in sufficient numbers, I think the aftermarket will take care of that. In the meantime, throttle locks are inexpensive, and you can carry an mp3 player in your shirt pocket.

Walk with the wise and become wise,
for a companion of fools suffers harm. Proverbs 13:20
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 08:53 AM   #632
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,016
I don't want ABS, and have even less use for a stereo. My Goldwing 1500 had a stereo, but I never used it. Sometimes I would turn it on while working in the garage. While riding, I want it to be just me, the bike, and the road. No distractions. I ride to get away from those. I did use the cruise control, till it quit working. I have also used the Throttlemeister throttle lock and liked it.

The problem with Honda making a fully loaded CTX700 is that it would cost almost as much as a Goldwing. When I suggested on a Goldwing forum that Honda had gone to far with the Goldwing, and that they should go back to the 1100 or 1200 four cylinder Interstate, nobody liked the idea, and pointed out that Honda had made alternatives, one of which was the NV700. To me that bike could have been a winner. If it had had a more upright riding position, like the CTX, around 1000cc, and came with the trunk included (all of which should have been possible considering the bikes $12K price tag) it would have been an excellent solo tourer. Honda always seems to just miss the mark.

I would have a hard time not buying the CTX700N with the automatic (I have severe arthritis which makes shifting in town a pain, literally) if it came without ABS. I believe the ABS can be disabled, but it is still seriously over complicated, and expensive things can go wrong with it that don't happen with regular brakes. I've heard of ABS failures on BMWs costing thousands $$$ to fix.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:18 AM   #633
Maytag Repairman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
Just saw a new review article on RideApart (formerly HellForLeather).

http://rideapart.com/2013/05/rideapa...-honda-ctx700/

Maytag Repairman screwed with this post 05-10-2013 at 11:28 AM
Maytag Repairman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:28 AM   #634
quasigentrified
Cityfolk

Oddometer: 508
hm, good review. a little disappointed with the overall guts, and i think may go for the non-dct version just to keep my clutch skills in practice despite my carpal. (my bv 350 has been working a little TOO well for freeway commutes.) however, if i'm not gonna use it as a commuter, i may cancel my preorder and get a bolt. gotta think on this one...
quasigentrified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 12:38 PM   #635
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
I don't want ABS, and have even less use for a stereo. My Goldwing 1500 had a stereo, but I never used it. Sometimes I would turn it on while working in the garage. While riding, I want it to be just me, the bike, and the road. No distractions. I ride to get away from those. I did use the cruise control, till it quit working. I have also used the Throttlemeister throttle lock and liked it.

The problem with Honda making a fully loaded CTX700 is that it would cost almost as much as a Goldwing. When I suggested on a Goldwing forum that Honda had gone to far with the Goldwing, and that they should go back to the 1100 or 1200 four cylinder Interstate, nobody liked the idea, and pointed out that Honda had made alternatives, one of which was the NV700. To me that bike could have been a winner. If it had had a more upright riding position, like the CTX, around 1000cc, and came with the trunk included (all of which should have been possible considering the bikes $12K price tag) it would have been an excellent solo tourer. Honda always seems to just miss the mark.

I would have a hard time not buying the CTX700N with the automatic (I have severe arthritis which makes shifting in town a pain, literally) if it came without ABS. I believe the ABS can be disabled, but it is still seriously over complicated, and expensive things can go wrong with it that don't happen with regular brakes. I've heard of ABS failures on BMWs costing thousands $$$ to fix.
Jerry - I am with you on the stereo thing. I don't want one either. I had a GL1500. I used the stereo a few times, but frankly I prefered the peace and quiet. And the CB was mostly just an annoyance to me.

I think you are basically right on the NT700V. It could have been great - but all Honda did was bring us a bike they had already had for a long time in Europe. It was old tech with a new price tag. If it had been more reasonably priced, it may have been able to survive.

I think you are wrong about ABS, though. I would urge you to at least not shy away from the DCT model because of the ABS. Don't let it be a deal breaker. Sooner or later, it will save your ass, and then you will be happy to pay $$$ to fix it if necessary.

Old 05-10-2013, 12:55 PM   #636
dirtdreamer50
long time rider

Oddometer: 861
Jerry, ABS probably does cost thousands to repair in an auto, too. Most autos come with ABS as standard equipment now, and personally I've never heard of anyone making its inclusion a deal breaker. All three of my cars have it, and that's good by me.

I have ABS on my BMW R1200RT, and have had to use it a couple of times, and am glad it has been there. Repairs of ABS units can be expensive, but are seldomly needed, on autos or motorcycles.
dirtdreamer50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 03:05 PM   #637
Maytag Repairman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
Not my favorite web site, but it looks like Motorcycle.com put up a review yesterday as well

http://www.motorcycle.com/manufactur...iew-91603.html
Maytag Repairman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 03:23 PM   #638
dirtdreamer50
long time rider

The rideapart review was more informative, but between the two, it looks like Honda has a great potential winner in the CTX line. Guess we'll see in the next few weeks.
dirtdreamer50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 12:41 AM   #639
HondaFanatic OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 393
Here's Motorcyclist mags "First Ride" review. They really like the DCT and the ride quality

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/fi...tx_first_ride/
HondaFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 12:59 AM   #640
davidji
bike curious

Oddometer: 873
The reviews were interesting. Too bad about the fuel capacity and the estimated range. OTOH if it ends up as efficient as the NC700X (slightly more efficient wouldn't surprise me), it may have longer range than they estimated.

Wish Honda would have demo days for their new bike models.
davidji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:44 AM   #641
quasigentrified
Cityfolk

Oddometer: 508
for y'all what care, my ctx700n (with dct) will be available (supposedly) for pickup on may 28 (in wa state). for those of you wondering when they'll hit showrooms, that's probably when they'll start appearing.

in tangentially related news, i also preordered a grom. if i buy any more bikes in the next 5 years, i'll probably get divorced
quasigentrified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 03:45 PM   #642
DewaltDakota
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by quasigentrified View Post
for y'all what care, my ctx700n (with dct) will be available (supposedly) for pickup on may 28 (in wa state). for those of you wondering when they'll hit showrooms, that's probably when they'll start appearing.

in tangentially related news, i also preordered a grom. if i buy any more bikes in the next 5 years, i'll probably get divorced
That's great news! I'm seriously thinking about putting a deposit down on a Grom, as well. It'll look like father and son, having my CTX700N and a Grom (both in black), parked next to each other.

EDITED: to add - deposit put down on a Grom this morning. :-)

DewaltDakota screwed with this post 05-18-2013 at 08:35 AM
DewaltDakota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 04:09 PM   #643
dirtdreamer50
long time rider

OK, Grom, you made me curious... An over grown minibike... Looks like fun and probably a killer bike for someone my age...tp
Old 05-16-2013, 07:03 AM   #644
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Cycle World has a write up on the CTX - very positive

they also mentioned that there are more bikes coming that we will be seeing very soon. I hope the CBF1000 and/or the CB1300 are included. I have to admit, though, that I really like this "new concept" stuff that Honda is doing. It makes everything else seem old and stale. I can't wait to see the CTX700 in the flesh.

Old 05-21-2013, 08:11 AM   #645
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Just got back from 4 days in the mountains with the Nomad. Nearly dropped it a coupleof times. The house we rented was on a dirt road, about 1/2 a mile in. I had to turn the Nomad around a couple of times. I pulled my left bicep catching the bike both times. It's better now but that thing is heavy heavy heavy and it HURT !!!

I still rode though, and took the wife riding. the arm only hurt when I was trying to get the helmet/jacket/gloves on. Mrs. B had to help me with that. We got on a very tight 1st/2nd gear road, and the Nomad showed her girth there too.

The Nomad was great on the open road. Very comfy and good power. It's just not meant to be manhandled.

The wife said "you need a lighter bike". Maybe a CTX? I can't wait to see it. Maybe a DL650? Or a NC700X? I like the lower seat height on the CTX. Maybe a smaller cruiser like a Vulcan 900 LT or a V-Star 950?

Anyway, I am thinking about it more seriously now.