Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2013, 07:49 PM   #46
Eye of the Tiger
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill View Post
It seems some folks forget that the layout of a classic cruiser dates back to an era when "adventure" riding was the rule and pavement was the exception.

My Harley bottoms out the frame going over the speed humps in the Home Depot parking lot......
but I did just ride it 411 miles today. The amount of adventure experienced can be measured by how sore my ass is: quite, indeed.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:07 AM   #47
crazyman
Exiled to the swamp

Oddometer: 1,141
I stated before that I've had three different cruisers before my current Tiger XC. The riding position does matter to me. A lot. I've got back and neck issues. Cruisers put almost all the weight on my tail bone. That gets painful.
I needed a backrest on the seats to add support. At least my knees didn't hurt.
The Tiger has a more 'standard' riding position. My knees do get a bit stiff after a few hours. The weight is off my tailbone, but not off my hips. Grrrrrr.
I can't seem to get comfortable with the stock seat.
I test rode a Trophy recently. In the 50 miles I rode it, the position seemed very good for me. The seat and it's support of my raggedy self, felt better than the Tiger. This might be a bike I'd want to replace my Tiger with.
I still like the idea of a big touring cruiser. I dunno, it's gonna be a while before I can get another bike.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:30 AM   #48
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,726
why don't ya'll cruiser folk prove everyone wrong and

POST SOME EPIC ADVENTURE PICTURES

instead of whining about your knees ?
Old 02-11-2013, 08:14 AM   #49
DireWolf
Knees in the Breeze

Oddometer: 13,235
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohgood View Post

This was, like, TOTALLY epic.

DireWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:33 AM   #50
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,726
Quote:
Originally Posted by DireWolf View Post
This was, like, TOTALLY epic.

great job ! is that a cat rolly dry bag ? i can't find them on ebay anymore...
Old 02-11-2013, 08:36 AM   #51
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,265
Quote:
great job ! is that a cat rolly dry bag ? i can't find them on ebay anymore...
Ortleib?
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:49 AM   #52
DireWolf
Knees in the Breeze

Oddometer: 13,235
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaY YreKa View Post
Ortleib?
Yup.

Followed Jock and Easy-Z up some rough switchbacks in E. Washington at night, but don't have any epic pics. Cause it was at night.
DireWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:10 PM   #53
JerryH OP
Banned

Oddometer: 5,069
Quote:

I have at least half a million miles on cruisers, and a couple of Goldwings, with the feet forward high bar riding position, but a good part of that was before internet forums. I do have quite a few pictures, but they are not digital, and will have to be scanned. I don't have a scanner at the moment. And I didn't write any ride reports, because I was not planning on posting them on a forum. Check out Rollin's ride reports. Almost unbelievable. And absolutely amazing. and absolute proof of what can be done on a cruiser.

Sadly, many cruiser owners spend most of their time cleaning and polishing their bikes. I'm not one of them. My cruiser has been ridden, long and hard. It is not shiny clean and spotless. But it sure has been fun.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:19 PM   #54
JerryH OP
Banned

Oddometer: 5,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyman View Post
I stated before that I've had three different cruisers before my current Tiger XC. The riding position does matter to me. A lot. I've got back and neck issues. Cruisers put almost all the weight on my tail bone. That gets painful.
I needed a backrest on the seats to add support. At least my knees didn't hurt.
The Tiger has a more 'standard' riding position. My knees do get a bit stiff after a few hours. The weight is off my tailbone, but not off my hips. Grrrrrr.
I can't seem to get comfortable with the stock seat.
I test rode a Trophy recently. In the 50 miles I rode it, the position seemed very good for me. The seat and it's support of my raggedy self, felt better than the Tiger. This might be a bike I'd want to replace my Tiger with.
I still like the idea of a big touring cruiser. I dunno, it's gonna be a while before I can get another bike.
You seem to like Triumphs. The Triumph America, Speedmaster, and Thunderbird appear to be nice cruisers. I've never ridden any of them. But my main criteria for any bike is not to have to bend my knees past 90 degrees, and not to have to lean forward to reach the bars. I want (and need) my arms and legs relaxed. There is definitely a huge difference in comfort level on a cruiser or touring bike with a rider backrest. I have one on both my Goldwing and my Vulcan 750.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:35 PM   #55
crazyman
Exiled to the swamp

Oddometer: 1,141
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
You seem to like Triumphs. The Triumph America, Speedmaster, and Thunderbird appear to be nice cruisers. I've never ridden any of them. But my main criteria for any bike is not to have to bend my knees past 90 degrees, and not to have to lean forward to reach the bars. I want (and need) my arms and legs relaxed. There is definitely a huge difference in comfort level on a cruiser or touring bike with a rider backrest. I have one on both my Goldwing and my Vulcan 750.
I do like me some Triumphs. My last bike was the massive Rocket III Touring. With a custom Russell Day Long seat, risers and a bigger screen, it was good enough for 3-400 mile days. Heavy. Hard to push around. And FAT. I'm a guy, I'm not supposed to spread my legs like that
Loved the power on that bike though....
Old 02-11-2013, 01:46 PM   #56
PhilB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,331
So much of this depends on your own body size, shape, and fitness. I don't doubt a bit that cruisers are the most comfortable for many of you. For me, no. I really do not like the feet-forward position. I think a Harley V-Rod with mid-mounted footpegs would be the closest to a comfortable cruiser to me (or the Ducati Diavel, which wasn't bad, although many argue it isn't really a cruiser either).

I have found my Ducati Monster to be a really good fit for me, in a position sort of between standard and sportbike. I stayed with the stock ergonomics for about 18 years, and those did fine for me, including trips with multiple days in a row over 600 miles each. In 2011, I fitted rearsets, and have found that to be even better for me. I'm only 50, though, and in good physical shape with no significant infirmities, so that's different from some. I could envision that if I had injuries or when age catches up to me, it might change my fit some, so I might change my mind some to fit.

PhilB
1993 Ducati M900 Monster "Patina" (236,000 miles, so far) -- 1995 Ducati M900 (wife's bike) -- 1972 Honda CB450 (daughter's bike) -- 1979 Vespa P200 (daughter's scoot) -- 1967 Alfa Romeo GT Jr. (1300cc) -- 1964 Vespa GS160 (160cc 2-stroke) -- 1962 Maicoletta scooter (275cc 2-stroke) -- 1960 Heinkel Tourist 103A1 scooter "Elroy" (175cc 4-stroke)
PhilB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:10 PM   #57
davevv
One more old rider

Oddometer: 2,354
There are lots of cruisers out there that do not have forward controls. My '03 Moto Guzzi Titanium is one example.

I personally consider most Sportsters to be more of a standard than a cruiser, but I think I'm in the minority there. At any rate, my '04 Roadster came from the factory with mids.

Lots of the Superglides, like the '01 Sport (FXDXT) I used to own, came with mid controls.

And I don't consider the footboard arrangement on the Harley tourers to be true forward controls either. They are more of a "feet in front of you" position like sitting in a kitchen or office chair. No, your feet are not under your butt, but your legs aren't stretched out straight either.

Just because a person doesn't like forward controls (and I'm one of them) doesn't mean there aren't cruisers out there that they could find comfortable.
davevv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 03:46 PM   #58
gumshoe4
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 855
I agree with Dave. I formerly had a Vulcan 750 which had foot pegs slightly forward. I found the seating position on the bike very comfortable.

My current SWing is also very comfortable because I can pull my feet up by the seat for riding twisties and move them forward for long straight cruises.

I owned a BMW R1100R for a short time and found it to be excruciatingly uncomfortable, forcing me to shove my feet aft of my knees and putting a significant bend in my knees which would cause my legs to cramp after no more than 10-20 miles. Footpeg lowering blocks did not help. Neither did raising the seat all the way up. I know there are many BMW fans here and most are absolutely sold on the user-friendliness of the R****R series. It works for them. It absolutely did not work for me.

I like the new CTX700 faired version...looks like it would make a very comfortable and capable solo tourer and the foot forward position looks similar to the VN750, so I think it might work for me. I've been reading the CTX thread and see the objections about lack of "soul" and forward pegs. I view my bikes as wonderful vehicles, inanimate objects designed to take me places and do things I can't do on or in other vehicles. Some bikes are more enjoyable to ride than others-this is very subjective and differs greatly from person to person, but I don't think much about the "soul" of a bike, because I recognize its status as an inanimate object. A "soul" is something people possess, not bikes, cars, bicycles or any other objects.

The bottom line is that what works for one person might not for another. Doesn't make either opinion less valid.
gumshoe4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 03:57 PM   #59
Bloodweiser
honestly

Oddometer: 2,606
My brother in law on his vstar.

Other bikes that tackled this same road at the same time:
71 guzzi ambassador
81 kz1000sp
02 vulcan900
Bloodweiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:01 PM   #60
Sidewise
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicmitch View Post
What part of Adventure RIDER don't you understand? This is not "Adventure Bike" It's more of an adventure to ride a cruiser to South America than to ride a GS to Starbucks.

Mitch

Sidewise is offline   Reply With Quote