Oddometer: 1,016
Alaska Highway -

Rollin' is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 01:58 PM   #92
RNowell
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Laugh Best Cruiser

I'm taking the chance of being battered for this, but here goes. I have an '03 BMW CLC with 79k miles on it. My longest
trip was from Daytona to Lima, OH for a rally. The seat has been resculpted, crash bars added and thats about it. Whatever suits your style and need is the bike for you. Some say this is underpowered, awkward at low speed, and ugly. Well, it can do about 103, depending on wind, you get used to the servo-assist brakes with ABS and I love the
electronic cruise control. My only limitations are my own. I've grown fond of the bike and don't mind the little things. I
have had no final drive problems or any major repairs. Back tire lasts 18k miles, front about 24k miles. I have replaced the battery once. My wife feels good on the back and tends to fall asleep if I don;t watch her.
RNowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 02:32 PM   #93
JerryH OP
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,709
I love all the variations of the BMW R1200C. I can't afford one in decent condition, and can't afford the parts. I would have probably bought one back when they were still available new had I been able to afford it. I thought they were a breath of fresh air in a world of "me too" v-twins, while still being very much a cruiser. I do like Harleys, but cannot afford one of them either, other than a Sportster, and I am to big for a Sportster on long rides. A cruiser is a cruiser, it does not have to have a fore and aft v-twin. Triumph and Moto Guzzi also make nice cruisers.
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 07:40 PM   #94
satz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Looking to add a 2006 Vulcan Nomad 1600 to the garage in the near future. It will compliment the fz1 good i think.

it will used for commuting and do some leisure ride .

satz
satz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:34 PM   #95
The PacRat
I'm that other guy

Oddometer: 2,547
Quote:
Originally Posted by satz View Post
Looking to add a 2006 Vulcan Nomad 1600 to the garage in the near future. It will compliment the fz1 good i think.

it will used for commuting and do some leisure ride .

satz
Have a look at this video - debaffling your stock pipes is a nice freebie on the Nomad:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xr85grdXWc
Old 02-16-2013, 08:40 PM   #96
JerryH OP
Vintage Rider

The Nomad is one of the best of the Japanese touring cruisers. I had a '97 Vulcan 1500 Classic, the bike that the Nomad is based on. It was a very comfortable ride, and the vibration from that big v-twin is very relaxing. Mine was short lived however. I bought it used with fairly high mileage, and it fell victim to the notorious POG (plastic oil pump gear) problem that plagued earlier versions of that engine. Kawasaki refused to fix it because it was out of warranty, even though it was a known factory defect. They should have done a recall on it but didn't. However, they did remedy the situation in '99, by switching to a steel gear, so '99 and up models are very reliable. The Nomad does use side opening bags, which to me are harder to load than top opening bags, but that is mostly a matter of personal preference.
1980 Puch moped
Old 02-16-2013, 08:51 PM   #97
JerryH OP
Vintage Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by The PacRat View Post
Have a look at this video - debaffling your stock pipes is a nice freebie on the Nomad:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xr85grdXWc
Definitely an option if you like loud pipes. That doesn't sound too loud. Hopefully the FI will compensate for the loss of backpressure. I have an XT225 with a drilled out stock exhaust, and had to rejet up one size on both the main and pilot jets to compensate for it. It was to lean to begin with.

One thing to remember is that such a modification is permanent, so if you don't like the sound (drilled out stock pipes often sound very different from aftermarket pipes) there's no going back. The price of new stock mufflers is absolutely unreal.
1980 Puch moped
Old 02-16-2013, 10:10 PM   #98
The PacRat
I'm that other guy

Oddometer: 2,547
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
Definitely an option if you like loud pipes. That doesn't sound too loud. Hopefully the FI will compensate for the loss of backpressure. I have an XT225 with a drilled out stock exhaust, and had to rejet up one size on both the main and pilot jets to compensate for it. It was to lean to begin with.

One thing to remember is that such a modification is permanent, so if you don't like the sound (drilled out stock pipes often sound very different from aftermarket pipes) there's no going back. The price of new stock mufflers is absolutely unreal.

I was hesitant to do the mod, but the stock bike is kinda quiet. I went ahead with the mod and it is basically a nicer sound, not too much louder. Lucky for me, I love it.
Old 02-16-2013, 11:54 PM   #99
AKDuc
Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer: 6,520
Just got my first cruiser a little over a year ago, a 2011 HD Softail Deluxe. I replaced the footboards with pegs for more leg room, a more natural ankle bend and more cornering clearance. On occasion I stretch my legs all the way out and rest them on top of the pegs. Very comfy. I've never had so much fun just going the speed limit. Works for me. Mark H.

AKDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 06:20 AM   #100
Murphy Slaw
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,354
Sharp bike.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Murphy Slaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 06:48 AM   #101
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by RNowell View Post
I'm taking the chance of being battered for this, but here goes. I have an '03 BMW CLC with 79k miles on it. My longest
trip was from Daytona to Lima, OH for a rally. The seat has been resculpted, crash bars added and thats about it. Whatever suits your style and need is the bike for you. Some say this is underpowered, awkward at low speed, and ugly. Well, it can do about 103, depending on wind, you get used to the servo-assist brakes with ABS and I love the
electronic cruise control. My only limitations are my own. I've grown fond of the bike and don't mind the little things. I
have had no final drive problems or any major repairs. Back tire lasts 18k miles, front about 24k miles. I have replaced the battery once. My wife feels good on the back and tends to fall asleep if I don;t watch her.
I think the R1200C is an awesome bike in all it's forms. Back in the day I wanted one BAD. I especially liked the "Montana" version. I wish BMW had kept making it.

Now I own a 2008 Nomad and love it. I bought it last September with less than 800 miles on it. I have been meaning to check to see if it still has the baffles. Some people say it is loud. Sounds good to me. I like the side opening bags. It's easier to get to everything inside. Top opening bags are good too.

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:29 AM   #102
JerryH OP
Vintage Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDuc View Post
Just got my first cruiser a little over a year ago, a 2011 HD Softail Deluxe. I replaced the footboards with pegs for more leg room, a more natural ankle bend and more cornering clearance. On occasion I stretch my legs all the way out and rest them on top of the pegs. Very comfy. I've never had so much fun just going the speed limit. Works for me. Mark H.

When I got my first Goldwing, it had floorboards, a heal and toe shifter, and even a heal and toe brake pedal. It was awful. It was clumsy and awkward and very difficult to ride. At the time I knew nothing about Goldwings, and thought it was stock, and that I was stuck with it. As soon as I found out on one of the GW forums that it was not stock, I had stock pegs, shifter, and brake pedal on the way. It completely transformed the bike. Suddenly it actually felt like a motorcycle. It felt 300 pounds lighter, the clunky shifting smoothed out considerably, and handling got 100% better. Before it was slow and ponderous around town, control inputs had to be slow and deliberate. After getting the pegs, it was easy to take corners fast enough to drag things. I know some like floorboards and that's fine, but I'm not one of them.

The riding position on that Softail looks really comfortable. So far I have not ridden any Harley but Sportsters. Sometime during the next couple of weeks I'm going to rent one for a weekend and put a lot of miles on it.
1980 Puch moped
Old 02-17-2013, 07:34 AM   #103
BCC
I know better

Oddometer: 7,935
Nice thread. I still have a Ducati, but my main ride is an Ultra Limited. I've put in an amp, better speakers and a stage 1 with compliant slip-ons.

The roads I ride mainly aren't too twisty and this bike is perfect for what I do. I've been pleasantly surprised how quickly I can make it go, both around the bends and comfortably on the highway.

Wife just got a Superglide, which replaces her bmw r1200r, another very fine bike, but not a cruiser. She got the 2013 Aniversary, and other than putting on a screen, backrest and rack to carry luggage, it's staying bone stock. And yes, she's getting into some of the Harley girl's clothing, which is fine with me, since it makes her happy.

Yeah, I'll still go play in the twisties on the Duc, but it'll be an occasional ride.

Cherish the memories------Ken OBSC
BCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:02 AM   #104
jguerin77
I ride my own

Oddometer: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollin' View Post
Alaska Highway -

Beautiful bike and picture....

Member of Southern Cruisers Riding Club and Chrome Divas
jguerin77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 02:25 PM   #105
pmelby
Home Brew Adventurer

Oddometer: 684
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
When I got my first Goldwing, it had floorboards, a heal and toe shifter, and even a heal and toe brake pedal.....
I gotta ask, as a non-criuser type rider, I cannont fathom the need for a heal(sp?) braking. Do some cruiser designs with floor boards actually feature two brake pedals? One for the toe and another for the heel? WTF?

cheers,
melby
'85 K100RT
pmelby is offline   Reply With Quote