Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2013, 05:54 PM   #1
trixterNorCal OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Gerbing attachment - extension cord or something better?

I recently decided that being cold sucks. I am tired of coming in from the cold and my fingers remaining painfully cold for over an hour or having to stop for over 30 minutes because I am shivering. So I bought some Gerbing's gear.

While hooking everything up I became concerned about yanking the cords out when I go down. It is my belief that if you ride any serious trail you will go down no matter how good of a rider you are, and if you dont go down you arent riding challenging enough trails :)

As a result I was wondering how people solved this problem. I noticed the coiled extension cord which extends 4 feet, which I am unsure if that would be enough as I have on occasion ended up more than 4 feet from my bike. I would have preferred a magnetic connection like seen on some of the higher end laptops and other devices as that would cleanly sever the connection without anything yanking but that does not (yet) seem to be an option (I just sent an email to Gerbing's about that).

So how do you solve the problem of potentially yanking and breaking your heated gear? I was unable to find any threads in the forum that appeared to specifically address this problem.
trixterNorCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:27 PM   #2
japako
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by trixterNorCal View Post
I recently decided that being cold sucks. I am tired of coming in from the cold and my fingers remaining painfully cold for over an hour or having to stop for over 30 minutes because I am shivering. So I bought some Gerbing's gear.

While hooking everything up I became concerned about yanking the cords out when I go down. It is my belief that if you ride any serious trail you will go down no matter how good of a rider you are, and if you dont go down you arent riding challenging enough trails :)

As a result I was wondering how people solved this problem. I noticed the coiled extension cord which extends 4 feet, which I am unsure if that would be enough as I have on occasion ended up more than 4 feet from my bike. I would have preferred a magnetic connection like seen on some of the higher end laptops and other devices as that would cleanly sever the connection without anything yanking but that does not (yet) seem to be an option (I just sent an email to Gerbing's about that).

So how do you solve the problem of potentially yanking and breaking your heated gear? I was unable to find any threads in the forum that appeared to specifically address this problem.
I have the coiled cord with powerlet ends for powerlet sockets.
Have stepped away from my bike, forgetting to unplug. The plugs just pulled out, no damage. I'm sure you could break something if you try hard enough, but I'm also sure the plugs will just separate from the bike.
japako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:31 PM   #3
ilvecchio
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 214
I forget that I am plugged in about once every year. But the cord has always disconnected without any problem.
ilvecchio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 02:42 AM   #4
Blindstitch
Supertanker Captain

Oddometer: 10
I don't think you have anything to worry about if you get thrown. The cables disconnect real easy and as other mentioned it even happens when you forget and just get off the bike.

Depending on the controller you are using or if you have a pouch for it to be in there's more chance of hurting the controler than the jacket.
ATGATT makes riding a bike like a sled easier.
Blindstitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:35 AM   #5
Ron from BC
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,277
The weakest link in the set up is the coax connection from what you're wearing and the lead from the bike. I can't tell you how many times I've stepped off he bike without remembering to disconnect and every time it just unplugs.

Keep it simple...
Old 02-07-2013, 06:13 AM   #6
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Oddometer: 5,562
I ran my Gerbing's extension from the battery connector down the side of my bike and then under the seat, so the plugin peeks out from underneath the front of the seat. When I fasten my seat down, the cord is held fairly tight. If I forget to unplug, it just pulls loose. This might work for you. Just my $0.02.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:10 AM   #7
gtj
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron from BC View Post
The weakest link in the set up is the coax connection from what you're wearing and the lead from the bike. I can't tell you how many times I've stepped off he bike without remembering to disconnect and every time it just unplugs.

Keep it simple...

I agree as well. Forgot I was plugged in many times and the coax just pulls apart when you step off/get off.
gtj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:04 PM   #8
trixterNorCal OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Gone View Post
I ran my Gerbing's extension from the battery connector down the side of my bike and then under the seat, so the plugin peeks out from underneath the front of the seat. When I fasten my seat down, the cord is held fairly tight. If I forget to unplug, it just pulls loose. This might work for you. Just my $0.02.

That is what I had done prior to this post (test ride was after). I may just be a bit too paranoid it just seemed like if anything was going to break it would be from yanking. I did it a bit different because right now its just on my ninja although I plan on putting connectors on all my bikes.

On the ninja I ran it through the pillion seat because that has a storage area and in summertime I can stash it there so the cord is hidden and doesnt rattle around. The same effect is achieved by trapping it, although that made me think that I might eventually wear through the insulation. That is much easier to deal with though.

If it doesnt seem to break then it is not much of a problem, I just would hate to be in the middle of nowhere where I want the heat and not be able to use it.

Thanks
trixterNorCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:11 PM   #9
ultrachrome
Poser

Oddometer: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Gone View Post
Exactly how mine's setup. I never unplug. I just get off the bike and it unplugs for me. Been doing that going on three years with no cord damage.
ultrachrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:31 AM   #10
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Oddometer: 5,562
Quote:
Originally Posted by trixterNorCal View Post
That is what I had done prior to this post (test ride was after). I may just be a bit too paranoid it just seemed like if anything was going to break it would be from yanking. I did it a bit different because right now its just on my ninja although I plan on putting connectors on all my bikes.

On the ninja I ran it through the pillion seat because that has a storage area and in summertime I can stash it there so the cord is hidden and doesnt rattle around. The same effect is achieved by trapping it, although that made me think that I might eventually wear through the insulation. That is much easier to deal with though.

If it doesnt seem to break then it is not much of a problem, I just would hate to be in the middle of nowhere where I want the heat and not be able to use it.

Thanks
I don't think you'll wear through the insulation, at least not for years. If you do, a Gerbing's cord is $10.