ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2015, 03:12 PM   #1
WanderBeaver OP
Wanderer

Oddometer: 134
LeoVince sound........wow

I found this on youtube while comparing pipes, and can't get over how awesome it sounds. Not to be over dramatic but I don't think it's exaggerating to describe it as soul-stirring. Okay that was a bit over the top but suffice to say I'm in love with the sound of these pipes. This is with dB killers removed and maybe LeoVince are just louder?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iK19WbfCmyk

Any Akrapovic or Wings owners think their pipes sound similar with dB killers removed? I've listened to some on youtube and though they sound great uncorked, they don't sound THIS good and since most pipes are designed pretty similarly, I'm wondering if this particular video is just blessed with good acoustics (or something).
WanderBeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 03:51 PM   #2
Rharr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
Sounds very similar to my SV1K with Yoshimura TRS cans. (1 can for each pipe)

Can't comment directly about my 990 sound, I have a 2:1 with a Remus carbon revolution w/ insert. The 2:1 gets rid of the hard power pulse sound and seems just a touch too loud where as the SV it's loud but not as bothersome.
Old Suzuki GS stuff
Rharr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 05:09 PM   #3
WanderBeaver OP
Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rharr View Post
Sounds very similar to my SV1K with Yoshimura TRS cans. (1 can for each pipe)

Can't comment directly about my 990 sound, I have a 2:1 with a Remus carbon revolution w/ insert. The 2:1 gets rid of the hard power pulse sound and seems just a touch too loud where as the SV it's loud but not as bothersome.
Interesting about the 2:1 getting rid of hard power pulse sound as I've never heard that mentioned before......I just bought a used Akrapovic and want a second but may have to go 2:1 if I can't find one. I wanted 2:2 for the looks but maybe I'd prefer the sound too as I personally like the lumpier sounding ones (i.e. the hard power pulse sound I presume this LeoVince exhibits if I like it so much).
Old 01-05-2015, 07:52 PM   #4
BigTony
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
I'm on my 3rd exhaust for my 990

FMF were too short, Leo Vince LV one too loud w/o baffles

Wings.. juuust right (w/o db killers)

The old style leos sound fantastic on my buddies 950SM - smoother than on my 990 for some reason

It's kind of an individual taste thing I guess

I've watched a crap load of exhaust videos and compared to my real life experience I think the drive by ones give the most realistic acoustics
BigTony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 09:04 AM   #5
OrangeDevil37
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 312
heres my 990 with the 4.1 FMFs on it. I think the sound quality is pretty good on this one seeing as how its from a phone. the leo's do sound good

http://youtu.be/oKlHJMs3lm0
2006 250sx-f
OrangeDevil37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 09:28 AM   #6
WanderBeaver OP
Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTony View Post

The old style leos sound fantastic on my buddies 950SM - smoother than on my 990 for some reason

I've watched a crap load of exhaust videos and compared to my real life experience I think the drive by ones give the most realistic acoustics
Perhaps if you found the Leo's too loud, the ones in the video I posted here are too, and is part of the reason they sound so awesome. But so throaty and deep, with a ripping sound, that's the sound I like. But if they're too loud then it's too much of a good thing I suppose.....
Old 01-06-2015, 05:32 PM   #7
luckyducks
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
So I have Leo Vince SBK Titaniums with titanium mid-pipes on my 950 Adventure. Yes they sound exactly like they do in that video. Very powerful sounding.

Unfortunately, they aren't the most polite pipes to have in a dense urban neighborhood like the one I live in here in the Bay Area. Although, I did have a neighbor come tell me that my bike sounded "beautiful" the other day and when I asked him if it was too loud, he said "naw man, it sounds great". The same guy, however, appreciates motorcycles and said he enjoys hearing my leave and come back home on the bike. So take that for what it is.

If you are interested, I'm going to be selling my Leo Vince cans with mid-pipe after I install a set of quieter (and more expensive) Remus pipes.

Oh and my Leos have the DB killers still in (I think? I'm not so sure. The pipes came with the bike so any tips on how to check if the DB Killers are in?)
luckyducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 06:07 PM   #8
WanderBeaver OP
Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyducks View Post
So I have Leo Vince SBK Titaniums with titanium mid-pipes on my 950 Adventure. Yes they sound exactly like they do in that video. Very powerful sounding.

Unfortunately, they aren't the most polite pipes to have in a dense urban neighborhood like the one I live in here in the Bay Area. Although, I did have a neighbor come tell me that my bike sounded "beautiful" the other day and when I asked him if it was too loud, he said "naw man, it sounds great". The same guy, however, appreciates motorcycles and said he enjoys hearing my leave and come back home on the bike. So take that for what it is.

If you are interested, I'm going to be selling my Leo Vince cans with mid-pipe after I install a set of quieter (and more expensive) Remus pipes.

Oh and my Leos have the DB killers still in (I think? I'm not so sure. The pipes came with the bike so any tips on how to check if the DB Killers are in?)
Thanks, nice to know they do sound like that. I sent you a PM as well......so yah I'm interested!

WanderBeaver screwed with this post 01-06-2015 at 06:42 PM
Old 01-06-2015, 07:19 PM   #9
BigTony
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderBeaver View Post
Perhaps if you found the Leo's too loud, the ones in the video I posted here are too, and is part of the reason they sound so awesome. But so throaty and deep, with a ripping sound, that's the sound I like. But if they're too loud then it's too much of a good thing I suppose.....

It's all just personal taste. I like the lower tones but the higher tones (the mean sounding ones) sound awesome at first but just kind of grate on me by the end of a long day. The leos are great pipes; I think the SBK in that vid sounds better than the LV One type for whatever reason. Naturally if you can hear them in person before trying thats is a plus, rather than trying 3 before finding one you like, like me!!

I took off my rottweiler style intake mostly for noise reasons too. Geez I guess I'm getting old. Oh well, the bike still shakes the neighborhood with the open wings exhaust, just a little more mellow from the drivers seat.
BigTony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 08:14 PM   #10
bigtodd
Hi, wanna ride?

Oddometer: 1,489
Love the sound of my LVs, truly resonating sound from the v-twin. Buddy has the Akro set up and everyone thought it was the meanest baddest sounding 990 around ... until I pooped on the LVs.

SPOT - bigtodd - where I at now?
bigtodd.whereamiriding.com
bigtodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 08:30 PM   #11
GJ990
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 265
I like these, but then I like loud pipes
http://youtu.be/Eml0R0rkYZ0
Old 01-06-2015, 09:17 PM   #12
WanderBeaver OP
Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJ990 View Post
I like these, but then I like loud pipes
http://youtu.be/Eml0R0rkYZ0
Yah I've heard them before during my 'research' (I think we all end up hearing the same pipe vids only in different order) and love the sound of them too even if they're likely rudely loud. Awesome throaty sound like the Leo Vince's, which, BTW, I just a pair of (SBK's with the metal nozzle outlets so different looking ends than those in the vid but same sound)!
Old 01-06-2015, 09:20 PM   #13
WanderBeaver OP
Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtodd View Post
Love the sound of my LVs, truly resonating sound from the v-twin. Buddy has the Akro set up and everyone thought it was the meanest baddest sounding 990 around ... until I pooped on the LVs.
Good to hear (literally) as I just bought a set of SBK's an hour ago off an inmate and now may have to sell the lone Akrapovic I just bought.......or keep it for my 'quietER' exhaust in a 2-1 setup for touring. Hmmm. This site and/or this bike is hard on my wallet! But good for my soul so it's all good.
Old 01-06-2015, 09:32 PM   #14
WanderBeaver OP
Wanderer

Quote:
It's all just personal taste. I like the lower tones but the higher tones (the mean sounding ones) sound awesome at first but just kind of grate on me by the end of a long day. The leos are great pipes; I think the SBK in that vid sounds better than the LV One type for whatever reason. Naturally if you can hear them in person before trying thats is a plus, rather than trying 3 before finding one you like, like me!!

I took off my rottweiler style intake mostly for noise reasons too. Geez I guess I'm getting old. Oh well, the bike still shakes the neighborhood with the open wings exhaust, just a little more mellow from the drivers seat.
Funny you should mention Rottweilers as I've considered them too but yes heard they add a loud intake honk. I can't imagine how that would sound or if I'd like it or not as that too is personal taste. I too like the lower tones vs higher, so hopefully the Leo Vince SBK's I just bought are low AND mean, the vid sounded low and mean anyway. I think a low tone can sound mean anyway, as in throaty, like a ripping roaring tearing sound. I think MASS makes a 2-1 with that type of sound but man it sounds very loud in the vid I saw - holy. I think at worst if it's too loud for long tours I can put earplugs in, which many do anyway just to protect ears from wind noise, though I never have I've considered doing so as you never get your hearing back. Great, now I have Leo Vince's coming and I'm talking about not getting your hearing back once you lose it! I doubt they're THAT loud from the rider's position at most normal highway cruising rpm's anyway.

What are the LV1? The ones I bought simply say SBK on them and have the metal nozzles similar to the Ti Akra and many other pipes. Some SBK have the carbon fiber or other outlets that look great too but I tend to prefer the more classic metal nozzle type. Or not. They both look great in different ways. What kind of pipe do you have and did you settle on a Leo Vince? OH - I see Wings, yah they're beautiful, do you have dB killers removed? I don't have the luxury of testing them so will get what I get and there may be a set up for sale shortly while I experiment again OR find a matching second Akrapovic for the one I have which may be a quieter setup. I also wonder what an EVO II is, like, I think you can get an SBK EVO II LV1. So confusing! The one in the vid is different again than the carbon fibre outlet and the nozzle type. It's metal but is shaped like the carbon fibre outlets so kind of a hybrid between the two. Don't know what's better but likely all just styling.
Old 01-06-2015, 09:36 PM   #15
WanderBeaver OP
Wanderer

Quote:

So your Leo Vince were SBK with metal nozzle outlets? Or carbon fiber caps or metal caps like in this vid? Well, I'll probably drive it with dB killers in though the previous owner just told me his sounded just like this vid but realized his dB killers are in so can't imagine how loud it'd be with them out since he already thought they were too loud! I'll find out but thankfully I'm in the middle of nowhere.