User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2014, 06:44 PM   #1
05magmn OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
2013 990 kick stand question??

Ok I'm not try to beat a dead horse here, I have looked and searched and can not find the answer, and almost all the kickstand threads are old enough the original photos posted are gone. And my bike is the first 990 I have ever seen in person. Ok, so I was out looking at my bike and noticed the kickstand is mounted to a plate from the factory that looks very similar to some of the products being sold. The plate mounts in 2 places to the engine casting, and one place to the frame behind the foot peg. Now is this the problem kickstand mount, or has it been updated, and is no longer in need of a kickstand reinforcement??
05magmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 07:05 PM   #2
Rock Junkee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 194
No I believe you still need to relocate kickstand. Cj designs sells them and is a great guy to deal with.
Wife rides KTM 05 200 XC-W
2008 Honda Xr 650L
Rock Junkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 09:01 PM   #3
05magmn OP
Adventurer

Yeah I plan on doing the whole cj treatment on the bike when I can, his shop is with in a few hours ride of here. I just can't afford any parts right now! Have to see what the next paycheck brings, and cross my fingers! Lol!
Old 04-23-2014, 10:13 PM   #4
JohnEric
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
I have a 2013 baja just like yours. I just did the kickstand relo using the blackdog kit. The kickstand was bolted to the case. There was no plate that you speak of. Now the kickstand is bolted to a plate which is bolted to the engine mount and the center stand bolts.
If your stand is bolted to the case you should do the relo. I would even though I don't do that much off road. But I mount my bike by stepping on the peg which puts a lot of pressure on the case.
Good luck……..Eric
JohnEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 06:11 AM   #5
rockitman4x4
ol retread

Oddometer: 60
+1 for the Black Dog kit.
Old 04-24-2014, 07:32 AM   #6
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 6,349
Old 04-24-2014, 09:19 AM   #7
05magmn OP
Adventurer

I think I have answered my own question,I went and looked at some parts diagrams online and they all show the bracket I'm looking at, so I'm going to assume this is the problem child. The kick stand bolts to this bracket, and then the bracket bolts to the motor and frame. More money to spend! Uhhgg!
Old 04-24-2014, 09:55 AM   #8
armourbl
Adventure Life

Oddometer: 410
I did the Charlie264 kit and I'm really happy with it. Keeps the kick stand in the stock location.

ben
Old 04-24-2014, 12:01 PM   #9
Tom_C
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
I know that this has been talked about before, but BDCW relo still bolts to engine, and still has the potential to cause issues, even if much diminished. CJD does not touch engine and eliminates any possibility of that type of failure. It does move the kickstand back some, which seemed to make the bike stand a bit taller, but I might be imagining things.
Old 04-24-2014, 12:12 PM   #10
NeptuneTriton
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
I have a new 2013 Baja and recently installed the CJ Designs Kickstand Relocation Kit and side stand switch eliminator. Everything went on just fine and I like the fact that nothing is connected to the engine anymore....

However, the one thing I wasn't expecting was for the stock kickstand to be too long after installation. The bike was vertical and then some when on the side stand. So, I removed the kickstand and cut about an inch out of it, then took the bottom "foot" and had the local muffler shop reweld it back onto the stand. Now it leans like it did before. I almost wish I would have taken 1.5 inches off for a little more of a lean.

Just FYI
NeptuneTriton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 01:50 PM   #11
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 6,349
MY 2010 R is just fine with the re-location. When I installed the Dunlop 908RR's it got really tall compared to the OEM Pirelli Scorpions.
Mine leans pretty good.
Not as far as that damned 1150 Adventure did, but that thing was silly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeptuneTriton View Post
I have a new 2013 Baja and recently installed the CJ Designs Kickstand Relocation Kit and side stand switch eliminator. Everything went on just fine and I like the fact that nothing is connected to the engine anymore....

However, the one thing I wasn't expecting was for the stock kickstand to be too long after installation. The bike was vertical and then some when on the side stand. So, I removed the kickstand and cut about an inch out of it, then took the bottom "foot" and had the local muffler shop reweld it back onto the stand. Now it leans like it did before. I almost wish I would have taken 1.5 inches off for a little more of a lean.

Just FYI
Old 04-25-2014, 10:52 AM   #12
gefr
Life is a trip

Oddometer: 3,700
I do not use any reinforcement/relocation plates.

I usually mount my 2 990s on the footpegs when it is convenient. The one was hit by a car, when perked. Tha sidestand was bend/destroyed as the hit was from the front-right side. Triple clamps were slightly bent. The case mounting didnt get cracked. Lucky me.
I don't go often off road though.
Cheers.
gefr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 11:48 AM   #13
dgjackson40
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 188
Pad

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeptuneTriton View Post

However, the one thing I wasn't expecting was for the stock kickstand to be too long after installation. The bike was vertical and then some when on the side stand. So, I removed the kickstand and cut about an inch out of it, then took the bottom "foot" and had the local muffler shop reweld it back onto the stand. Now it leans like it did before. I almost wish I would have taken 1.5 inches off for a little more of a lean. Just FYI
Did you think to have a larger footplate welded on at the time? Thought for if you whack more off of it and are at the welder anyway.
Old 04-29-2014, 10:21 AM   #14
NeptuneTriton
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgjackson40 View Post
Did you think to have a larger footplate welded on at the time? Thought for if you whack more off of it and are at the welder anyway.
I almost had them do that, but I already had a Touratech bolt on footplate on it, so I just reused it. The guys at the muffler shop were nice enough to just weld it for free so I didn't want to push my luck asking for extra stuff.
NeptuneTriton is offline   Reply With Quote