User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 4.40 average. Display Modes
Old 02-09-2013, 07:44 PM   #31
Tinfish
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 969
The combination of fuel economy and low-end powerband was a big part of why I bought a VW tdi. I'm sure my Golf is slower than a gas version, but the low end power makes it incredibly pleasant to drive in real world situations.

If Chevy can match that drivability and economy they might have a viable car on their hands.
Tinfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:04 PM   #32
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,088
Quote:
Originally Posted by troidus View Post
Yep. Not gonna drag 3500# uphill with the ECO version, but the diesel should pull it just fine as long as the rest of the powertrain isn't made of marzipan.
You do recall this is being made by GM, right?

My '05 Jetta TDI had a max tow rating of 1300# without trailer brakes, or 1500# with trailer brakes.

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:29 PM   #33
mr openroad
Target Fixated

Oddometer: 4,083
does anybody know if this motor is made by Izuzu like their trucks?
mr openroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:57 PM   #34
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
My '05 Jetta TDI had a max tow rating of 1300# without trailer brakes, or 1500# with trailer brakes.
That's because of the lack of driver training in the U.S. and the lawyers, not because of the vehicle. I always refer to my research on the Mazda 3 a few years ago. In the U.S., it was "Do Not Tow With Your Mazda." In the UK, it was 1200kg without brakes and 1800kg with brakes.
troidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:53 AM   #35
Bueller
Cashin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by troidus View Post
That's because of the lack of driver training in the U.S. and the lawyers, not because of the vehicle. I always refer to my research on the Mazda 3 a few years ago. In the U.S., it was "Do Not Tow With Your Mazda." In the UK, it was 1200kg without brakes and 1800kg with brakes.
Same issue with the Jeep Wrangler.

With the TDi I knew the engine could pull more, but I always wondered if the gearbox and axles were up to the task.

Old 02-10-2013, 08:35 AM   #36
Keith
Slabbing it

Oddometer: 861
You think they'll come out with an "eco" version?

Just like they did with the gas version.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:53 AM   #37
Bueller
Cashin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post

What bothers me about the diesel offerings nowadays - and this includes TDi vehicles - is the mileage figures are going the wrong way. Our '00 TDI got a very consistent 50 mpg on the highway. Our '05 got about 48 on average, but had slightly more power than the '00. Current generation TDi's get low 40's, maybe 44 - 45 if you drive gently. The '00 we had was no powerhouse and wasn't going to win any drag races, but it did just fine. Today's diesel cars are more powerful, but it comes with a penalty. I'd rather have the extra mileage, since there are plenty of much faster gasoline cars out there.

Old 02-10-2013, 03:14 PM   #38
mr openroad
Target Fixated

Oddometer: 4,083
Quote:
What bothers me about the diesel offerings nowadays - and this includes TDi vehicles - is the mileage figures are going the wrong way. Our '00 TDI got a very consistent 50 mpg on the highway. Our '05 got about 48 on average, but had slightly more power than the '00. Current generation TDi's get low 40's, maybe 44 - 45 if you drive gently. The '00 we had was no powerhouse and wasn't going to win any drag races, but it did just fine. Today's diesel cars are more powerful, but it comes with a penalty. I'd rather have the extra mileage, since there are plenty of much faster gasoline cars out there.
this was definatly the case with my brother inlaws TDI's until he got an 09 and the fuel system grenaded on him and after that he could not trust it.
mr openroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:40 PM   #39
Keith
Slabbing it

Oddometer: 861
Quote:
What's the difference in weight with those csrs? I bet it's significant.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:15 PM   #40
Ko
Observant as never

Oddometer: 1,107
Quote:

rethorical question, isn't it?

Ko

Ko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 12:53 PM   #41
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,884
We have a small fleet of delivery and service vehicles. Two Honda Accord V6's are getting to 180,000 miles and are fully depreciated, so we started thinking about replacements.

We've almost purchased a diesel van a couple of times but the economics didn't work for us: if you weren't driving at least 30,000 miles per year, it didn't pay. The diesels got better mpg and were much easier to sell with high mileage, but the fuel cost more, maintenance was more, and the price difference was substantial.

After looking at hybrids and economy cars, a road test of the Chevrolet Cruze Diesel last May caught my eye. The only other "popular" diesel was the VW TDI, and for a number of reasons that wasn't a good company car choice for us.

In August Car & Driver did a head-to-head comparison with the TDI and the Cruze acquitted itself very well, including 747 miles on a single [15.6 gallon] tank of fuel for an observed 44mpg. (The TDI got 40 and has a smaller fuel tank). While they chose the TDI first, the specs are virtually identical in every other way except for the Cruze's five year, 100,000 mile transferable warranty versus 60,000 for the TDI.

The car is made at the Lordstown, Ohio factory but the 2.0L engine is an Opel design and may be made in Korea.

Should go into service in a week or so, I'll give some updates! Gotta get some snow sneakers next.

“The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without.” ― Dwight D. Eisenhower
garandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 04:38 PM   #42
Tweaker

Oddometer: 9,064
"I wanted so badly for American-car-buying Americans to be reintroduced to diesel passenger cars with a really competent, little economical American car. The Cruze falls just short." http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-revi...e-diesel-cidln
Tweaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 04:55 PM   #43
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweaker View Post
"I wanted so badly for American-car-buying Americans to be reintroduced to diesel passenger cars with a really competent, little economical American car. The Cruze falls just short." http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-revi...e-diesel-cidln
That some recent college grad doesn't like it doesn't concern me one bit. Their jaded sensibilities are not troubled by ownership costs or lack thereof.

The Car and Driver comparison with the TDI actually quantifies matters like NVH. At idle the Cruze is 45dB and the TDI 46. At full throttle the Cruze is 74 and the TDI 76. At 70mph cruise both are 70dB, which is quieter than my WRX. Observed mpg was 44 versus 40 for the TDI. And it cost more.

One very appealing advantage for us was the warranty coverage. The Cruze comes with a five year, 100,000 mile transferable power train warranty. The TDI is 60,000 miles.

“The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without.” ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

garandman screwed with this post 12-31-2013 at 05:24 PM
Old 12-31-2013, 04:58 PM   #44
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post

It has many of the Eco aero features already. Despite being economical the Diesel trim is pretty high zoot. The one we purchased has leather seats, Bluetooth, navigation and a backup camera, all features we thought valuable for a business mobile.

garandman screwed with this post 12-31-2013 at 05:14 PM
Old 12-31-2013, 05:14 PM   #45
Tweaker

Oddometer: 9,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by garandman View Post
We bought it as a company car because at the end of five years we want to have more dollars in our pockets. That some recent college grad doesn't like it doesn't concern me one bit. Their jaded sensibilities are not troubled by ownership costs or lack thereof.
If that were so, you would buy a Prius. None of these diesels come close - especially when diesel is currently 20% higher.
Tweaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: