Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 4.33 average. Display Modes
Old 01-06-2014, 06:07 PM   #91
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,734
Comparison: The Big Test: 2013/2014 Hybrid and Diesel Sedans
Chevrolet Cruze 2.0TD vs.Honda Civic Hybrid vs. Toyota Prius vs. Volkswagen Jetta Hybrid vs.Volkswagen Jetta TDI
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...n/viewall.html

“The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without.” ― Dwight D. Eisenhower
garandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 06:08 PM   #92
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

Ward's Auto World named the engine one of their 10 best for 2013: they like diesels.

Auto blog had a "quick spin" review which I think is quite fair.

Quote:
What you get with the Jetta is an ever-so-slightly sportier package (thanks mostly to the better manual/DSG transmission options) and a little bit more brand prestige in the minds of most buyers. This diesel Cruze will need some time to penetrate the land of enthusiasts and diesel geeks, I'm guessing, but it's a fine sedan in its own right, and worth at least a look from even the most ardent TDI supporter.

“The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without.” ― Dwight D. Eisenhower
Old 01-06-2014, 06:19 PM   #93
Jurgen
Trolljegeren

Oddometer: 38,852
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam_c_eckhardt View Post
Haven't you said that every year?
Nope--- I've been "shopping" but not really thinking purchase until this year. Hell, my pickup is only 8 years old.

I'll probably need to bring in my "Buyer's Consultants" Flug and Spanish Johnny.

Moderator:CSM/JoMomma/ShinyThings/Sports
Jurgen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 06:23 PM   #94
jdiaz

Oddometer: 32,033
The Cruze has a 100K-mile power train warranty. VW drops you like a hot potato at 60k. That alone puts Chevy into the game in a big way.

I drove a Cruze last summer and liked it. I just wish I didn't see them on every street corner.

jdiaz screwed with this post 01-06-2014 at 06:29 PM
jdiaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 06:42 PM   #95
pirahna
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 17,630
I have had a rental Cruz LTZ several times in the last couple of years. I really like them for a economy car. The seats are really comfortable.
pirahna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 04:08 AM   #96
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

Well, I turn this over to our service staff tomorrow so I won't be driving it for a while. But it has made me think about a diesel for my next car.

I drove it around a lot in the city over the weekend, and also used to the remote starter to warm it up. Cold weather doesn't seem to hurt the mileage as much as a gas engine but it sure doesn't help. There are a bunch of Eco displays and one logs your mpg in 25 mile increments. The lowest was 21mpg and the highest, 51.2. For the tank we averaged 31mpg.

This is car is going to sway back a lot of import buyers if they ever try one out. The seats are excellent. The navigation, sound and other electronics are very well integrated, powerful and easy to use. The remote starter is built into the key fob and you can turn on the seat heaters with the engine. The rear seat doesn't look very big, but that's because instead of cutting down the lower cushion so the rear looks roomier, they have an actual seat you can sit on. We've had four adults in the car for a trip and it's adequate. The trunk is good sized but (like the MB and some others) the Urea tank is in the spare tire well so they include a fix-a-flat kit but not a spare tire. The diesel uses a larger bolt circle than the stock Cruze so we need a donut spare from an Impala, apparently. I think this is nuts but keep track of your spare tires as they are disappearing from more and more cars.

The ride is very well controlled and I haven't driven the Jetta TDI back-to-back yet so I can't compare directly, but the handling is capable: most owners would be well-served by scrapping the OEM tires right off the bat like we did.

This car has some of the technology from the Eco model, like these fill panels underneath. They help out in deep snow as well.

Rear suspension.

I looked at the Mulroney sticker and NA content is 66% and US content 50%. Our Hondas are 70%, demonstrating the difficulty of "Buying American." But out for our intended purpose it should work out really well!

garandman screwed with this post 01-09-2014 at 04:17 AM
Old 01-09-2014, 05:34 AM   #97
jdiaz

Oddometer: 32,033
Keep us posted!
jdiaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 05:39 AM   #98
Yamarocket630
Lurker

Oddometer: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sNotTheBike View Post
Except for saving the jobs of GM employees, it was a mistake for the US government
to bail GM out. GM will continue to prove this is true and it will remain true because
the corporate culture of GM is infected with flawed decision-making methodology.
In comparison, look at the new stuff from Ford, where Alan Mulally came in and
kicked some ass and made some core changes in how things were done.

In the past GM was run by immoral men who made sure that there was no viable public
transportation in much of the US. If there is a place like hell those greedy corrupt
swine richly deserve to be there.

+++++eleventy million
Yamarocket630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 05:42 AM   #99
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Oddometer: 35,992
Quote:
Originally Posted by garandman View Post
Comparison: The Big Test: 2013/2014 Hybrid and Diesel Sedans
Chevrolet Cruze 2.0TD vs.Honda Civic Hybrid vs. Toyota Prius vs. Volkswagen Jetta Hybrid vs.Volkswagen Jetta TDI
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...n/viewall.html
Great numbers for the Jetta hybrid, since they're using a DSG already that means unlike the Toyota system it can use a manual and VW is one of the car makers who could do it (and seeing how many TDI's have them it might even make sense to the bean counters if there's a push from owners).

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 05:44 AM   #100
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sNotTheBike View Post
Except for saving the jobs of GM employees, it was a mistake for the US government
to bail GM out. GM will continue to prove this is true and it will remain true because
the corporate culture of GM is infected with flawed decision-making methodology.
In comparison, look at the new stuff from Ford, where Alan Mulally came in and
kicked some ass and made some core changes in how things were done.

In the past GM was run by immoral men who made sure that there was no viable public
transportation in much of the US. If there is a place like hell those greedy corrupt
swine richly deserve to be there.

You should start a thread in CS&M

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
Old 01-09-2014, 07:06 AM   #101
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

Name a car company, I'll name a sordid past tale of their evil misdeeds. But not in this thread, please.

Not sure if I posted the mill.

Front hub assembly.

Old 01-09-2014, 08:01 AM   #102
Lobby
Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer: 27,262
I've appreciated your posts, Garandman.
Old 01-09-2014, 08:44 AM   #103
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 32,212
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonsAndVStroms View Post
Great numbers for the Jetta hybrid, since they're using a DSG already that means unlike the Toyota system it can use a manual and VW is one of the car makers who could do it (and seeing how many TDI's have them it might even make sense to the bean counters if there's a push from owners).
How much does it cost to service the DSG every 40k miles? An hour labor and $156 for the fluid and filter. Special DSG fluid. The full 40k mile service is 5.0 hrs billed plus parts. That is actually the same price for any DSG Volkswagen.

Putting the DSG in a hybrid is a gimmick. It doesn't add more than complexity and expense.

Hey, look at this, link. They managed 1 mpg better with the regular TDI over the hybrid.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 08:46 AM   #104
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anorak View Post
How much does it cost to service the DSG every 40k miles? An hour labor and $156 for the fluid and filter. Special DSG fluid. The full 40k mile service is 5.0 hrs billed plus parts. That is actually the same price for any DSG Volkswagen.

Glad I've got a manual.....even if it is in the shop for the clutch right now

Old 01-09-2014, 09:24 AM   #105
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

There seems to be some confusion over "DEF" and Urea. It's really quite simple.

Urea sounds gross, so the industry standardized a product and gave it a more palatable name. "Diesel Exhaust Fluid" or DEF.

Most but not all diesels sold in the US use it. The Cruze TD has a 4.5 gallon tank in the trunk which is said to last 10,000 miles. They had a jug of the stuff at the auto parts store I went to and it was $15 - not sure of the size.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: