User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2013, 04:12 PM   #181
R11STEW
ADVrider Wanna-be

Oddometer: 186
I had an adventure!

Thank you Trans FL GS Rally organizers, I had a blast riding my airhead GS (when it wasn't broke!).

Here are some Pics I took, documenting the lower shock mount repair and then day 2 with a subset of Team Wanker. Thanks for letting me tag along guys!

My one and only point grabbing pic on day 1:

A little fancy for my '92 GS, but here is my one of a kind cigar box route holder:

My day 1 ride was a short one. Bottom shock mount popped out of the final drive. Tie wraps kept the shock in place to get me to Bunnell.

Huh! Never heard of such a failure.

A little creative engineering to replace the broken stud:

Now for a few fun pictures!

DA BEAST, Old but steady

A nice portion of the Old Brick Road

Obligatory Food Shot

And my trophy!

More pics at my Smugmug site: http://r11stew.smugmug.com/Other/201...8387495_VTtSBN
Old 03-11-2013, 05:06 PM   #182
woodsatyr
Kitty Boy

Oddometer: 438
Thanks to the organizers! It was fun riding and hanging out with you guys.

I was pretty whupped after Saturday's ride so I opted out of Sunday and headed home. Wished I could have ridden Sunday but I wasn't up to it yet.

I'll post up pics later. I got a little video of the water crossing too.
woodsatyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:09 PM   #183
kaosrider OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 789
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsatyr View Post
Thanks to the organizers! It was fun riding and hanging out with you guys.

I was pretty whupped after Saturday's ride so I opted out of Sunday and headed home. Wished I could have ridden Sunday but I wasn't up to it yet.

I'll post up pics later. I got a little video of the water crossing too.
You did a great job working through the sand. A picture of your good riding form...

Your nicely rigged bike

I tried to get a shot of you in the deeper sand, but I had to use three hands myself so no pictures in that stuff . Good Job
kaosrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:30 PM   #184
kaosrider OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 789
Some Pictures

Bobby Ginger

Kurtzinpa

Some morning arrivals, that is Colemanfu in the background on the Harley

Mr Guns keeping us straight

Roadking

James Coburn ...SammyB

Waybill

One of the road we describe as paved sand

Sad story, D6066 had to go back to work. We had to leave him behind

Did we mention the weather

Follow the ...brick road

The game of pictures was a way to try and get us all to focus on just "smelling the roses"

The real Florida

And of course our mascot Carson

kaosrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:37 PM   #185
sfront
Chaos in Motion

Oddometer: 924
Quote:
Originally Posted by R11STEW View Post
Thank you Trans FL GS Rally organizers, I had a blast riding my airhead GS (when it wasn't broke!).

Here are some Pics I took, documenting the lower shock mount repair and then day 2 with a subset of Team Wanker. Thanks for letting me tag along guys!
More pics at my Smugmug site: http://r11stew.smugmug.com/Other/201...8387495_VTtSBN

Glad to have you along Mike!
Not surprising, all your Sunday pix look alot like mine!
Congrats on finishing.
Steve
Team Wanker

STEVE

So what if it was short....I still had a great time!!!
sfront is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:06 PM   #186
waybill
cheap thrill

Oddometer: 607
First, just want to thank everyone for coming out and enjoying the weekend, there was a lot of fun had, plenty of camraderie, and new friends made. We'd hatched a plan to do this only about 6 weeks prior so there was some cramming involved but nothing that couldn't be handled on the weekends. We had to go out to eyeball some of the roads and trails but most was stuff we'd been riding for years anyway so no biggie. Have to say it again, big kudos to Wolfgang, D6066, and especially Day13 (gps maestro), Kaosrider (co-planner and communications czar), and mr_guns, who put in long hours the last week getting the route sheets done (with his wife's help). And everyone else that contributed their time and effort.

Also thanks to Cycle Gear, Don and Brad at BMW Motorcycles of Jacksonville, Chris at Daytona Fun Machines (Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki), and Bill at Cycle Goodies in Daytona, they supplied us with some very worthy door prizes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtzinpa View Post
aka: No Country for Old Men.
Gotta agree with that sentiment, heck I was tuckered enough by Sunday afternoon I couldn't finish my own route. Or at least snag those last 40 bonus points. That said, the whole thing wasn't designed to be easy and less than half of those that started finished, but also realizing a few had to break off for prior commitments. Congratulations to those that placed or won their categories, it was well deserved. those wankers took home most of the gold.

Also there were three that made the trek from the frozen north, Warren from Toronto on the Honda Varadero, and Pat and Jim from Tewksbury, Mass. on a 12GS and Tiger 800, heck it was dicey just getting here, thanks guys. And last but not least, congratulations to R11STEW for overcoming a debilitating mechanical issue on the only vintage bike in the rally and making it back in time to ride the entire 2nd day, by my count he rode that airhead back and forth across the state four and a half times. And then there was Slimy, he tried to repair the wheel bearing on the xc800 but eventually spent most of Sunday rescuing Jim and the bike with his trailer, they didn't even make it back in time for dinner. The Good Sam award there for sure!

Got some pics I'll work on tomorrow and the next day.

1150Adv, 950Adv, 800GS, TR650, DR350

waybill screwed with this post 03-11-2013 at 10:54 PM
waybill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 12:55 PM   #187
Mugwest

Oddometer: 5,717
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfront View Post

I dunno anything about a "Trans-Florida GS Ride" but that sure looks like a BMW 700 convertible on the right there
Old 03-12-2013, 01:27 PM   #188
waybill
cheap thrill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugwest View Post
I dunno anything about a "Trans-Florida GS Ride" but that sure looks like a BMW 700 convertible on the right there
Good catch, I was thinking Amphicar or Sunbeam but those wheels sure looked familiar, could be off a Bavaria.

Old 03-12-2013, 02:28 PM   #189
Johno33772
Johnny Africa

Oddometer: 768
Quote:
Sfront took a rusted beat up pile of junk & restored that car back to better than new. Sfront is a perfectionist , master craftsman & Man of a 1000 Hairdo's....Steve is that Guy! His restoration work will blow your mind it's that good!
Old 03-12-2013, 02:48 PM   #190
sfront
Chaos in Motion

Oddometer: 924
Quote:
I don't wanna get off topic but you sir, would be correct! 1962 BMW 700. Not mine, I just get to work on it! The lady that owns it, also has a few other micro cars and antique scooters. In fact she picked up the BMW yesterday and left me another to fix.....want to take a shot at what it is????

STEVE

So what if it was short....I still had a great time!!!
sfront is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 02:49 PM   #191
Dr.Z
6Sigma Knuckle Shflr

Oddometer: 9,687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johno33772 View Post
Sfront took a rusted beat up pile of junk & restored that car back to better than new. Sfront is a perfectionist , master craftsman & Man of a 1000 Hairdo's....Steve is that Guy! His restoration work will blow your mind it's that good!
+1 meeeliiion

Fooker's quite the craftsman!

He's got some of the basics down, but, in the end, that just has to create a bigger clusterfuck in that chinese fire drill of a cognitive thought he brought to the dog and pony show of his new found awareness. - Jack Goff
Dr.Z is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 03:01 PM   #192
africa twin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 178
Tanks for a great event

Just want to add my thanks to the list. I know how much work goes into something like this and am truly appreciative of the opportunity it provides for out of staters like me to just show up and ride. What a fabulous way to see parts of Florida I'd never have found on my own. I'll be back with friends from Canada next year.
Rather than add all the same pics as everyone else I've tried to show a different perspective.
Cheers

This is what it looked like the morning I left

30 hours later

In the morning near the start of the rally it was cool and fresh and the bike was still pretty clean

Later it was hotter, drier and dirtier sometimes a little too hot

Sometimes a little too dirt y, I'd definitely recommend some of these for those planning to attend next year

It wasn't all dry though but you can see how still it was at this river crossing

It wasn't all dirt either but even the paved roads were very scenic in an old Florida kind of way

Speaking of old, this tree is over 900 years old which is about how I felt after wrestling a 600lb bike off-road for two days

Some of the roads were neither paved nor dirt, this photo shows the diversity from brick to dirt to pavement

As the sun sets on my adventure I resolve to return next year and bring some fellow Canadians who don't know what they're missing
africa twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 03:09 PM   #193
R11STEW
ADVrider Wanna-be

Oddometer: 186
Awesome pics AT! Thanks for coming down from the great white North and enjoying that great Florida weather with us!
Old 03-12-2013, 03:41 PM   #194
waybill
cheap thrill

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfront View Post
I don't wanna get off topic but you sir, would be correct! 1962 BMW 700. Not mine, I just get to work on it! The lady that owns it, also has a few other micro cars and antique scooters. In fact she picked up the BMW yesterday and left me another to fix.....want to take a shot at what it is????

Subaru 360?

Old 03-12-2013, 03:44 PM   #195
ineptizoid
Welfare Bear

Oddometer: 5,128
Sure am enjoying those pics, fellas! Looks to me like it was a great good time...

Everything I really needed to know, I learned in Schneider School.

Official Organizer of the ADVrider Sandbox Hooligans Anti-FEE Movement

Quoth the Photojournalist: Am I gonna be the one that's gonna set them straight? Look at me--WRONG!
ineptizoid is offline   Reply With Quote