Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2013, 07:19 PM   #16
Beezer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,324
sorry.... the bikes of the day for off road racing like hound & hare, and enduros were Matchless and AJS, (same bike, different name), BSA, FN and a few others.... not Enfield. on the other hand the Enfield was a good tourer

http://www.mxbikes.com/vintage/bikes50.php

" Is there any other mark out there that will sprout so much nonsense as Royal Enfield? ".... yep, I own a KLR

yo milk... stay in touch. I might be going back to Oz in 14 for a few months. timing is everything.

I don't think I wrote whatever "RR" you referenced.
Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 02:22 PM   #17
Rango
Phaneropter

Oddometer: 1,107
Don't be sorry,

The Bullet won the international six day trial enduro in 1948, 1952 and 1953.

It was the supremacy in severe contests like these that made India choose the Bullet as the vehicle par excellence for its domestic roads.
For the sportive side look under Johnny Brittain, famous enduro rider of the period. Still a legend in the UK.

For an excellent summary report on RE and comparison to AJS18/Matchless G80 and Ariel VH Hunter check out:

http://www.motorcycleclassics.com/cl...the-radar.aspx

Nice pictures too. I particularly like the exhaust on the Bullet.

Bottom line: Bullet is a worthy element in the field, as the KLR is, and if they must sit in the same corner, so be it.
Let's ride.
Old 02-17-2013, 04:54 PM   #18
Noisymilk
Run What Ya Brung

Oddometer: 79
And there are an awful lot of amazing things you can do with the platform. My current favorite is this one from Sam Simons:

It's actually what inspired me to try and turn mine into a dual sport, rather than ditching it for one of the venerable thumpers so many others drive (KLR, DR, DRZ, WR, etc). I at one point tried to sell the bike, but the gods stepped in and made the bike never sell, and my 8 year old daughter told me she liked it and didn't want it to go, and I decided it was mine for good.

Now, mine will never be as nice as the above.....but improved shocks and engine internals, mefo tires, and a good speedo with trials bars on risers ought to do the trick. Mines gonna be more of a ratrod look, because I don't want it to get stolen when I'm traveling. Keeping the points ignition, gonna do improved stator and some good lights and stuff.

Point being, with a handful of upgrades, I believe my bike will be as rock solid as any out there. I got mine for 1500 bucks in 09, and will have around 3500 total into it when I'm done. I like that. It still gets 70 or so mpg. I might put a big ol tank on it (they make ones that are 35 litre). It won't ever do Sibirsky Extreme at the pace Colebatch and company did it at, but it will do what I want to do.

I consider it a compliment to put KLR's and my Enfield in the same category.

Be safe.
Noisymilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 05:50 PM   #19
Rango
Phaneropter

Well, ain't she sweet.

Noisymilk, right up my alley.
Mine's slowly turning rat. Adding whatever I feel will improve the experience. When it's functional it should be good looking too, I guess. After all, it's the ride.

Have to find some solution against branches getting stuck between exhaust and brake rod. At one time I was eagerly looking out for that lovely bbq smell only to find a pine branch being toasted on the exhaust.

As the OP stated in his first post kindred spirits in this particular field are seemingly rare. And I am still in the prepping and try out phase.
Old 02-17-2013, 06:13 PM   #20
Beezer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,324
right you are... Enfield was part of winning teams

1948: TROPHY TEAM A. Jefferies, Capt. 498 Triumph.
V.N. Brittain, 346 Royal Enfield.
C.N. Rogers, 346 Royal Enfield.
B.H. Viney, 498 AJS.
J. Williams, 499 Norton.

from FIM in 1952...
https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=2a3e0...AB8F42E1A5!163

and http://speedtracktales.wordpress.com...-1952-austria/

looks like Maico was the big winner. there is a Enfield 750 twin in the pix.... I thought that bike was much later... I lusted for an Interceptor in the 60s, but too much bucks.

'53... same story... a mix of bikes

Photo of the GB Trophy Team (L to R.) Jim Alves (Triumph, Hugh Viney – captain (AJS) Johnny Brittain (Royal Enfield), Jack Stocker (Royal Enfield) and Bob Manns (Matchless). With the exception of Brittain all are veteran Trophy teamsters. Standing is team manager Len Heath. ISDT 1953
Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:30 PM   #21
Rango
Phaneropter

That was an interesting link. Nice.

When I see a picture like the one, here above, my heart involuntary takes a leap. It breaths adventure from each and every little detail. Too much to list.

Interceptor, mighty behemoth.
The Interceptor started in 1960 as a beefed up Constellation, only to be sold in US and Canada.
There has been talk of reviving a twin. Rumours whispered Meteor or Constellation. Contrary to expectation the management chose to follow todays caféracer hype. Marketing decision, just good business the Commodore would say. Perhaps one day the Interceptor pops up again, who knows? Because of the dynamically balanced crankshaft the Constellation -hence so the Interceptor- was the smoothiest British twin. Drooling already.

We've drifted from the OP's subject, talking history again. But we mentioned adventure and here is one of the new EFI's, not too clean though:

Just the way it's supposed to be.
Old 02-18-2013, 03:55 PM   #22
Noisymilk
Run What Ya Brung

Yup. As they should be. Dirty and ridden. Not a big fan of trailer queens.

So yeah, I had heard rumblings about a new twin from Enfield as well. A 535 cafe racer is what is coming. And yeah, I suspect it will sell well.

If you really must have a dual cylinder Enfield, take a look at what Aniket is doing with his bikes:
http://thekneeslider.com/aniket-vard...ess-continues/

Really beautiful work there.

So, since this appears to just be the couple of us at the moment, do you guys ride Enfield as well?
Old 02-18-2013, 04:40 PM   #23
YJake
Roaming

Oddometer: 290
I have one.

The engine grenaded less than a full year after I bought it with only 6k miles on it and yes, it was a "New and Improved" UCE bike with EFI.

It now sits in my garage behind a Flathead Ford engine, where it belongs.

-Jake
Old 02-19-2013, 05:17 AM   #24
Noisymilk
Run What Ya Brung

Yjake,

It doesn't belong there. It belongs in my garage being fixed. I'll buy it if you don't want it.

Sorry about grenading it. What happened? Bottom end?

There is still always the fact that this bike can't be ridden at 75 all day on the highway as it comes from the factory. But most everyone I know has no engine problems with the UCE. They had a gearbox problem in 09, which was factory recalled and resolved. And the usual RE stuff rattling off while ridden thing. But engine internals have a good reputation. Curious what your issue was....
Old 02-19-2013, 05:49 AM   #25
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,205
That was ONE of the major problems with my old Triumph Daytona, parts would crack or go missing, even after extensive use of locktite and self locking hardware. Mounts would crack over time, gas tank mounts, fender mounts would crack, even the fender supports, air filters would crack at the mounts or go missing.
I brazed the air filters about 10 times...

The bike was ok if you kept the rev's down, but it made its power at 7500 rpm and above, screaming out to 9000+ rpm.

When looking around for a bike, I figured the TU250 would be better then some old bike, or an old design bike, because while power is lower then bigger bikes, its happy to run all day at any rpm and full throttle.
I have run it at 85 mph tucked in for 50+ miles many times and all its needed is oil changes.
I end up with the same performance as my Daytona because I had that bike geared tall to reduce vibration (plus the wide ratio trans), and the hiway speed was actually lower unless I used 3rd gear (4 speed trans) and screamed the motor, which gave the same 85 mph, but not for long before something broke.

I ran on the interstate at 70 mph only a few times on the Daytona and had issues every time I did.
Once, on a hot day after a long ride, I took the interstate for the last 50 miles and the bike started running on one cylinder, not a good sign!
I found a bad spark plug wire after I got home, and easy fix but just another thing the vibration would cause problems with.

I do not mind vibration at all, I grew up with bikes that vibrated, but it causes problems on the bikes that do.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 05:51 AM   #26
NJ-Brett
Brett

No bike should just sit, broken!
People want that bike!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noisymilk View Post
Yjake,

It doesn't belong there. It belongs in my garage being fixed. I'll buy it if you don't want it.

Sorry about grenading it. What happened? Bottom end?

There is still always the fact that this bike can't be ridden at 75 all day on the highway as it comes from the factory. But most everyone I know has no engine problems with the UCE. They had a gearbox problem in 09, which was factory recalled and resolved. And the usual RE stuff rattling off while ridden thing. But engine internals have a good reputation. Curious what your issue was....
Old 02-19-2013, 06:12 AM   #27
Noisymilk
Run What Ya Brung

NJ Brett: Agreed about persnickety breakages and stuff. I tried to sell it, but the gods and my daughter spoke. I look long and hard at the TU every time I am killing time at the local Ridenow shop. I actually prefer the 2010/11 brown/black over the "fast red" 09's. Great platform for the type of riding I would want to do, in all honesty. But it's me and my Enfield. I "accidentally" bought in on ebay in 09, flew to Monterrey CA and rode it home. I really love this bike, quirks and all. I've had the engine all the way apart and held the crank in my hand. So I know every nut and bolt on it (almost....still gotta disassemble the forks and head bearings at some point, just to see). And I enjoy the challenge of riding a bike that most other serious riders scoff at. It's quite the head turner at gas stations and the like. I get more attention than the harley crowd at motorcycle get togethers here in town. And mine didn't cost near as much. Just found a set of Wolfman Teton saddle bags delivered for 107 bucks. So it begins. I own the good tent/bag/sleeping pad combo already. A few dry bags for clothes and stuff. Some more work on the engine. Especially (if funding will allow) the bottom end. I have a blown crank sitting in my garage that I got from ebay for 40 bucks. So I can send it for the work and still have a working bike. Once that bottom end rebuild is done (probably about 700 bucks all in), I should have a nice foundation for the rest of its life. And my top end is right where I want it (Ace 535 kit, alloy barrel, about 130 psi compression, and some heat shedding help). Not a snortin Fireball build,....sticking more with what they call their Modified Clubman build....the budget option. Rephase the cams by one tooth to lower compression. Don't ride it like an asshole until that bottom end is redone. Hoping to get some warmup rides to the long one this spring. Maybe a few days down to Mexico before it gets hot. Puerto Penasco is only 200 miles from my home, and although a little touristy, it might be fun to beach camp north of town a few days. See whats going to break on the bike. Be safe. Ride the hell out of that TU once the weather breaks over there.

Noisymilk screwed with this post 02-19-2013 at 06:15 AM Reason: trying to fix the damn paragraphs....it won't work....sigh
Old 02-19-2013, 07:14 AM   #28
NJ-Brett
Brett

The old Daytona was like that, it got all the attention even over some very expensive custom bikes.
Everywhere I went, at red lights, even while going down the road, people would always ask what year it was.
The TU gets almost the same response but little respect...
I also tend to get to know the insides of my bikes very well, and even took the motor on the TU apart to see how it was made.
Unfortunetly, there are no improvements you can do to the TU motor, 2 small valves and no big bore kits, cams, etc for the TU.
Sounds like you have a good plan for the Enfield, and the exhaust sounds fantastic so that allows putting up with a lot.
Guys buy modern bikes and spend money making them better, but some guys buy old bikes, or old design bikes and like working the bugs out of them.
Old 02-19-2013, 02:18 PM   #29
Rango
Phaneropter

Oh yes, that can be a delight or a hazzle, depending on your character.
Today no less than 3 people came up to talk about the Enfield.
First one wanted to congratulate me on a restoration well done. Thank you very much, but alas it's new, from 2010. Yes, one of the first UCE's. No fuzz whatsoever. Doesn't leak oil, doesn't burn oil. Yep, I have a bottle of Loctite. Needed it on the dirtbike, not on the Enfield. Starts first kick, all the time, whatever the weather, cold, hot, rain or shine. Sweet.

Second had to tell me he owned a BSA, back then. When he left he was wondering why he'd ever quit biking. Who wants to sit in a cage? Yesterday sky was clear blue and icy cold, terrific fun. Today was full cover, mild drizzle, awesome ride.

Third one inquired whether I'd imported it from abroad. No sirree, there are asaik 4 regular dealers in a 40 mile radius. Never mind the looks, the dirt roads were slippery as hell. Just a wash and it'll look as new.

so Rango, what do we do now?...
...now,...we ride
Old 02-21-2013, 05:40 AM   #30
Noisymilk
Run What Ya Brung

Laugh

Yup. I think we all have our version of how we tell the story of our bike. I usually ask if they want the long story or the short story. I'm not a well versed in the British history of the bike as others, but an relatively intelligent of the current models.

Don't worry NJBrett, the Enfield doesn't garner a lot of respect either. And i still think the TU is a great platform for touring. I'm anxiously awaiting sometime to do a serious ride on one and report it here.

I myself am hoping to raise the lowly Enfield to a greater status. It appears most folk view it as that weird bike you ride in the himalayas. Maybe i can change that a little.

And on that note, i fly home now from a weeks work and continue breaking in the new piston and barrel.

Be safe.