ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-02-2013, 05:34 PM   #46
Lou Hela
Guest
 
Oddometer: n/a
Nice one mate.
:-)
Good riding to us all.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:58 PM   #47
Whitewater Willie
Marv
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: Edmonton Alberta
Oddometer: 2
2011 Classic

I bought a 2011 Classic in the spring of 2012 and managed to get out on it enough to put 6000 km. on before winter shut me down. The UCE Bullet seems rock solid so far. The exhaust pipe fell off because I only remembered to tighten one nut when I should have done both. Hey I'm old and got distracted. Other than burning the exhaust gasket and making a bunch of noise, no harm no foul. It is a Thumper and as such things shake loose. The exhaust nuts are about the only ones on the bike that aren't self locking. I have zero complaints that relate to build quality and ride. The brakes work, the engine starts first kick every time, the gas mileage has dropped to only 30 Km. per liter from 32 after break in because I changed the muffler to a much less restrictive one and I ride harder. Why? Because the exhaust note is too cool for words and it is fun to wind it on.
If you expect a world beating go fast machine, this will not work for you. If you want a really cool retro ride for the backroads and cruising below 120 Kmh, The Enfield is a blast. I live in Edmonton too so PM me if you want to get 2 Enfields together for a ride
Whitewater Willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:36 AM   #48
Noisymilk
Run What Ya Brung
 
Noisymilk's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Mesa
Oddometer: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitewater Willie View Post
I bought a 2011 Classic in the spring of 2012 and managed to get out on it enough to put 6000 km. on before winter shut me down. The UCE Bullet seems rock solid so far. The exhaust pipe fell off because I only remembered to tighten one nut when I should have done both. Hey I'm old and got distracted. Other than burning the exhaust gasket and making a bunch of noise, no harm no foul. It is a Thumper and as such things shake loose. The exhaust nuts are about the only ones on the bike that aren't self locking. I have zero complaints that relate to build quality and ride. The brakes work, the engine starts first kick every time, the gas mileage has dropped to only 30 Km. per liter from 32 after break in because I changed the muffler to a much less restrictive one and I ride harder. Why? Because the exhaust note is too cool for words and it is fun to wind it on.
If you expect a world beating go fast machine, this will not work for you. If you want a really cool retro ride for the backroads and cruising below 120 Kmh, The Enfield is a blast. I live in Edmonton too so PM me if you want to get 2 Enfields together for a ride
Hey there Willie,

welcome to the thread. Appears there are tens of us around here who like this bike along with all the other thumpers.

So you bought your bike in Edmonton? A few posts back LexLeroy was discussing lack of dealer network up that way. Seems he lives in Alberta, as do you (as long as my crappy geography knowledge is correct and Edmonton is actually in Alberta). Is there much of a dealer presence? I know here in the US there is Classic Motor Works, who is the importer I believe for all of North America. Are you guys able to buy parts and after market through them without import tariff's or the like? I just simply don't know the arrangements with our good friends to the North there.

That said, you folk have to F-ing BEAUTIFUL country to ride in. I'm planning on making my way through BC and the Yukon to Alaska soon...possibly summer '14.

Also, sadly I had to us Dr Google to convert km/l to mpg. 70 mpg is excellent. Thats what I get from my Iron barrel with the stock Mikcarb 28 and an open airbox and exhaust. Seems the FI mapping is doing fine with the simple open exhaust mod you did? There are folks working on mapping with this throttle body to deal with significant head improvements and the like.

Enjoy your back roads thumping. Its a good way to see the world. You know, they say that 9HP is enough to see the world, and the rest is just excess (paraphrased, but thats the idea).

Be safe.
Noisymilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:09 PM   #49
Noisymilk
Run What Ya Brung
 
Noisymilk's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Mesa
Oddometer: 80
I suppose this probably just looks wrong to lots of people:


But I seriously like how they look on there. The ADVenturization continues.

Also dropping this new horn on the bike:


I'm thinking probably here:


Anxiously trying to carve out some time for a couple day trip to see how this bike holds up with my recent bout of modifications.

Be safe all.
Noisymilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 03:06 PM   #50
Rango
Phaneropter
 
Rango's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: Kingdom of Belgium
Oddometer: 1,141
Noisymilk:

Looks alright to me.


I'd like to hear your comments on the handlebars. How much height did you gain? How they hold when standing up? Mine have a gain of 100mm which is still a bit short.


I've been experimenting with tank bags, but that doesn't satisfy. Was thinking of front bags but worrying about the heat from the exhaust. How's your right bag holding up?


Screaming Banshee
and a Dementor too


Success on the test rides.
__________________
Moriunt omnes pauci vivunt
Rango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:58 AM   #51
Noisymilk
Run What Ya Brung
 
Noisymilk's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Mesa
Oddometer: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rango View Post
Noisymilk:

Looks alright to me.


I'd like to hear your comments on the handlebars. How much height did you gain? How they hold when standing up? Mine have a gain of 100mm which is still a bit short.


I've been experimenting with tank bags, but that doesn't satisfy. Was thinking of front bags but worrying about the heat from the exhaust. How's your right bag holding up?


Screaming Banshee
and a Dementor too


Success on the test rides.
I like the bars a lot. However, there is a set of bar risers in my future. They are Protaper ATV hi bars i believe. I'm looking at Rox 2" rise. I haven't ridden standing yet, but these aren't tall enough to do so. Also need to work with the controls and pull them back a bit fire seated riding. I get a left wrist pain on long rides. Way more solid control than the stock bars. And that's saying something consider the while forks and springs AND rear suspension are still completely stock.

Haven't gotten to the horn yet. I hate just adding on, as i want to rewire the bike. But i should probably just kluge it on until i can do that, since i have no horn at all right now.

I haven't gotten any rides in with the bags. This was just test mounting in the garage. I'm considering trying to put magnetic pucks for the front. Can't find a good place that won't tear the straps. I keep hurrying the edge of the tank mounting wings, which will tear eventually.

The new barrel/piston is awesome. No oil leaks from the usual places that these leak from. A few minor ones to clean up. No appreciable oil loss, which had been a real problem to date. The screw in oil filter i added is actually cleaning the old oil in there. Gotta change soon fir continuing break in. Then a few plug chops to ease in stock carb to new piston (running purposely rich right now). Then looking at some 1 or 2 day trips to see how she is.

Be safe, ride often.
Noisymilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 04:09 PM   #52
Rango
Phaneropter
 
Rango's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: Kingdom of Belgium
Oddometer: 1,141
prep talk

Noisymilk

I found your build thread at enfieldmotorcycles. Quite a program you've already completed. Well done.

My program is modest: handlebars, engine guard, tyres.
Handlebars preferrably using stock cables. Hitchcocks has two but need specific measurements.
Alloy guard, pretty straight forward.
Tyres should be capable handing carttracks.
AM26 are excellent on pavement, especially in the wet. They do well in the field, except in the wet.
And the range for 19" on offer is limited, adds to the problem.

For front bags I was thinking of military bread bags or similar. They have about the right size.
To keep them in place I would strap them to a line clasped to the edges of the tank mounts.

Let the good wheels spin
__________________
Moriunt omnes pauci vivunt
Rango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 01:48 PM   #53
Noisymilk
Run What Ya Brung
 
Noisymilk's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Mesa
Oddometer: 80
Hello there Rango,

This is quickly becoming a private conversation between you and me.

Thanks for looking through my build. It's not the sexiest build ever, but I like it and think this bike will be my keeper for sometime. I got the horn mounted today, and am quite pleased.

Hey, I have a set of stock engine guards if you want them. The butterfly ones that came with the Military. They won't fit back on my bike because of the oil filter I wired it. They're olive drab, but could easily be painted gloss black or something. Cost of shipping only.

Does alloy guard = sump guard? I am definitely going to do that one. And yeah, I'm trying to maintain stock cables as well, since they are easy to come by. Well....as easy as anything Enfield is to come by in the US. And I like your idea for clasping the front bags to the edges of the tank under there. I'm wondering if I can modify the front edge of the wolfmans for that?? Hmmmm....

I'm pretty set on getting the Mefo Explorers, except that they don't make a 19" that they call a rear tire. What do you know about tires? Do you suppose I could just mount a front tire backwards on the rear and go? My AM26's are both 100/90 19's. It actually JUST fits under the front fender.

Here. All threads need more pictures:


Be safe. Ride more.
Noisymilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 05:39 PM   #54
Rango
Phaneropter
 
Rango's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: Kingdom of Belgium
Oddometer: 1,141
quote: "This is quickly becoming a private conversation between you and me."

It does, doesn't it? I wonder what the OP is thinking now?
Personally I don't mind holding the fort for a while until the brethren overcome their modesty...
Yohoho and a bottle of rum, my friends



Engine guard = sump guard. Hitchcocks has a good alloy one and a steel one. I'll go for the alloy.
Another thing I have to figure out is how to prevent branches getting stuck between exhaust and brake lever.
It happens all the time in the forest and when it's a fresh pine twig... hm, bbq somewhere?

That's a very kind offer by you. The butterfly bar is attractive. I will for now pass on it as the current bar gives me no reason to complain.
But it is much appreciated, never the less. You're welcome for a beer anytime.


Can't tyres be tiresome? Not so much on offer for 19" wheels and very little news from the front. (read for the front)

Heidenau K60 have a front tire but it's 100/90-19". Which brings me to the question why did you put an AM26 100/90 on the front? Was it a matter of necessity breaks law? Rule of thumb for off-road is the smaller tire, foremost the front tire.
Roadriders do quite well on dirt if not loose or excessive wet. When there is still sufficient thread even wet but firm stretches remain doable.
Which make me incline towards Avon's Distanzia AM43. Reviews are good in comparison to others.

I prefer to choose on longevity over performance. Mefo's have a good expectation (8-10k front, 6-8k rear; miles). Heidenau K60 do better (12.5-16k miles) and have an excellent reputation both on and off road. Pricewise Heidenau's cost only a little bit more (less than 7%). AM43 is substantially pricier, about 33%.

The directional arrows are indicative for the direction in which the tire evacuates water most efficiently. Which is imperative on asphalt, but less so on dirt. In fact many sources advice to invert the mefo's as this would improve wear, handling and noise reduction.


You're probably familiar with the list on:
http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/fo...c,10916.0.html


You might be interested in the discussion on mefo's explorers in:
http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hub...er-tyres-40775


Nice to find that the Banshee is working from the start. Always satisfying to have a good offense for defense.
As long as it doesn't play la cucuracha
__________________
Moriunt omnes pauci vivunt
Rango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 03:08 PM   #55
Noisymilk
Run What Ya Brung
 
Noisymilk's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Mesa
Oddometer: 80
tires or tyres

Yes, tires are tiresome. I assume most tire discussions go the same way as most oil discussions. Me, I just click to another thread once it gets contentious. The hardest thing for me in the tires discussion is, not a lot of people are using an Enfield to do what I want to do with it. Which is great for gas station conversations, but not so awesome for real world experience and opinions.

Heidenau K 60? interesting. Supposedly longer life than the Mefo explorers? Life expectancy is my main concern in tires....I'm no single tracker or radical off roader....particularly with this machine.

I matched up my front and rear tires ....well, just because. I did. It looks pretty cool, and corners better that the stock Skidmasters did. 03 stock tires were...questionable? Very square rear tire from new. Practically looks like a sidecare tire. I put these tires on, and felt much more planted. I guess if I went 90/90 up front, it might be even better,....but I'm no amazing rider as it is. Pretty tame. I basically want to be able check out some out of the way places without too much difficulty, and carry a minimum of equipment while doing so. Like I've said, I partially like doing it to be the odd nut.....

I'll look seriously into the K60's, since they actually have a 19" rear.

Thanks man.
Noisymilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 01:03 PM   #56
fyr
iRoast Coffee
 
fyr's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Bytowne, Canuckistan
Oddometer: 1,277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noisymilk View Post
Yes, tires are tiresome. I assume most tire discussions go the same way as most oil discussions. Me, I just click to another thread once it gets contentious. The hardest thing for me in the tires discussion is, not a lot of people are using an Enfield to do what I want to do with it. Which is great for gas station conversations, but not so awesome for real world experience and opinions.

Heidenau K 60? interesting. Supposedly longer life than the Mefo explorers? Life expectancy is my main concern in tires....I'm no single tracker or radical off roader....particularly with this machine.

I matched up my front and rear tires ....well, just because. I did. It looks pretty cool, and corners better that the stock Skidmasters did. 03 stock tires were...questionable? Very square rear tire from new. Practically looks like a sidecare tire. I put these tires on, and felt much more planted. I guess if I went 90/90 up front, it might be even better,....but I'm no amazing rider as it is. Pretty tame. I basically want to be able check out some out of the way places without too much difficulty, and carry a minimum of equipment while doing so. Like I've said, I partially like doing it to be the odd nut.....

I'll look seriously into the K60's, since they actually have a 19" rear.

Thanks man.
Well Ill bring this thread back.
Im on my second Bonnie and, well went down to the local dealer and saw a Classic Chrome... Making me think about a little tradsey... Then again, I went that route before (bonnie to a bunch of other bikes) and came back to another Bonneville.. But still, kick start, that look.. Gotta test ride...

I had Heidenau K60 Scouts on my Bonnie. Put 3000 Klics on em. Held up great. Good road handling as well (noisy up until 95 kph).. I pulled em for a set of road tires for some planned twisties riding, but they are on rims ready to swap.. Id figure you'd get 8k out of em stricly on asphalt..PM for pics of wear..
Cheers
g
__________________
"Best thing though, is I can just sit and stare at it with a big fat cigar in my yap and have that shit eatin grin.."
10 Ypan Patrol-07 Bonnie T100-84 R65
fyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 12:19 PM   #57
Noisymilk
Run What Ya Brung
 
Noisymilk's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Mesa
Oddometer: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by fyr View Post
Well Ill bring this thread back.
Im on my second Bonnie and, well went down to the local dealer and saw a Classic Chrome... Making me think about a little tradsey... Then again, I went that route before (bonnie to a bunch of other bikes) and came back to another Bonneville.. But still, kick start, that look.. Gotta test ride...

I had Heidenau K60 Scouts on my Bonnie. Put 3000 Klics on em. Held up great. Good road handling as well (noisy up until 95 kph).. I pulled em for a set of road tires for some planned twisties riding, but they are on rims ready to swap.. Id figure you'd get 8k out of em stricly on asphalt..PM for pics of wear..
Cheers
g
Hello there FYR!

Thanks for bringing this thread back up.

Yeah, tires for the Enfield are a challenge. Particularly those looking for dual sport. Best combo I have been able to come up with in my mind so far is a K761 rear (they don't make a 19" front), and K60 front (they don't make a 19" rear).

But mismatching tire manufacturers is a bummer. I suppose it wouldn't be a big deal. Lots of people report excellent tire life with both of those options. I just wish I could take a K60 front, spin it around, and mount it as a rear and be done with it. Matched tires.

Eh, the life of someone who rides a non-typical bike. Especially in this neck of the woods.

If you have multiple bikes, I would strongly recommend a new Enfield as one of them. The UCE engine ('09 and up I believe) is showing itself to be a reliable everyday machine. At least, by comparison to those of us with the old engine. I still ride mine as a daily rider anyways, but I have become one with my machine.

On a good note, some of the upgrades I had been doing are giving good results. The overbore kit is giving me a nice little kick in the pants. And the alloy barrel and heat treatments I did are seemingly helping it shed heat much better. Less burning leg syndrome.

Still have yet to get a ride in with the tank panniers, but am looking forward to it in the next week or so.

Be safe all.
Noisymilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 12:43 PM   #58
NJ-Brett
Brett
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Southern New Jersey
Oddometer: 6,377
What about a K70?
3.25 or 3.50 in the 19 inch sizes, and they work quite weel in the street or in the dirt...
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...gQ9QEwBQ&dur=0
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 12:53 PM   #59
Noisymilk
Run What Ya Brung
 
Noisymilk's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Mesa
Oddometer: 80
Hello there NJ-Brett!

Yeah, I know of those. Had intended on making them my go to, except most report rear tire life of 3k or less. Doesn't do me too well when I'm looking at 8k just to Anchorage and back. I'm searching for a little more tire life is all.

70/30 ish is all I need. Like I said, not going up mountains or anything. Just seems there's a fair amount of dirt and gravel between where I live and where I want to go.

Thanks for reminding me of those. I guess in a pinch, I could do matched front and back and carry a single spare for on the road replacement.
Noisymilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 01:06 PM   #60
NJ-Brett
Brett
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Southern New Jersey
Oddometer: 6,377
I used to run them on my old Daytona, which I used as a dual sport.
I got 8000 out of them usually, and they were not as worn as most people run tires down to.
On the front, they last a lot longer.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014