Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2013, 12:10 PM   #61
Noisymilk
Run What Ya Brung

Oddometer: 79
Seriously? Wow. That's the kind of lifespan I am looking for. Did you do any magic with them (low pressure this, high pressure that?) or anything?

I'm looking at a shakedown ride down in Baja later this fall. Maybe I'll pick up a set and run them there to see how I do. That's likely to be a 2000 mile trip only.

Thanks for the info, man.
Noisymilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 03:37 PM   #62
motorat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 833
i ran shinko sr241 on my 2012 c5 military.
3.0 front 3.5 rear. both 18's
bought the bike in june2012 with 800 miles on it. sold it march 2013 with 4600 miles on it.
had to replace the injector twice, it kept clogging up. i suspected gunk from the tank but the dealer just replaced the injector. the battery cable connector to the positive side of the battery broke while i was splitting lanes on friday go home traffic. the electric starter worked when it felt like it but i didn't care about that because it was better at kick starting. the bike looked great and i always had people giving me the thumbs up or stopping to talk to me about the bike. but riding it became too much of an adventure as i never knew if it would get me to where i wanted to go.
my vstrom spoiled me with its relialability.
Old 05-17-2013, 05:39 PM   #63
Rango
Phaneropter

Oddometer: 1,122
Shortcut through the woods

Some time later.
Nope, this was not the most difficult part

Some more time later.
Scotty, damage report?

Old 05-17-2013, 06:07 PM   #64
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,293
No, just whatever they were supposed to have in them.
The Daytona was light, about 340 pounds, and I did a lot of dirt riding, mostly sand, not rocks.

They are not tough tires, like most tube type tires.
Easy to get on and off though, like most tube type tires..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noisymilk View Post
Seriously? Wow. That's the kind of lifespan I am looking for. Did you do any magic with them (low pressure this, high pressure that?) or anything?

I'm looking at a shakedown ride down in Baja later this fall. Maybe I'll pick up a set and run them there to see how I do. That's likely to be a 2000 mile trip only.

Thanks for the info, man.
NJ-Brett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 06:09 PM   #65
NJ-Brett
Brett

You need better tires if you are going to be doing much (or any) of that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rango View Post
Shortcut through the woods

Some time later.
Nope, this was not the most difficult part

Some more time later.
Scotty, damage report?

Old 05-18-2013, 04:03 PM   #66
Rango
Phaneropter

Reading you 10/10

Correct.

This was a much overdue test to see what the very limits were, for tires, this bike and my too impulsive self. Rather try this now here than getting surprised far out.
And these patches were most slippery, hard to stand, harder to walk. At the first attempt to lift the bike on drop #2 I got nowhere but boots deep in the mud, quite hilarious. Had to scavenge branches in the forest, which proved all be rotten, to make firmer footing.

So this is beyond their reach. However if you knew the condition of the rest of that path, you'd be amazed what they accomplished for me. Those two occasions were the only drops.

But it makes the issue more serious: either abandon the risk getting stuck on a section like this or finding 19" tires than can do on/off road and still have a decent lifespan.

Continental TKC twinduro'll have this terrain for breakfast, not an all road tire. I'm considering AM43 distanzia, Bridgestone trailwing & battlewing for the rear; for the front Pirelli MT60 or MT90.
Very interested in reviews of these tires for on/off road duty.

Another lesson learned: footrests. Going to shop for folding rests and strengthening the mounting studs.
Otherwise the bike did ok. Still amazed how clean it looks on the pictures while I needed half a day to clean it properly (old scool hand wash only).
Old 05-20-2013, 11:54 AM   #67
Noisymilk
Run What Ya Brung

Hey hey Rango! Thats awesome to see. Even if the tires aren't necessarily for the terrain. I am planning a ride down in Baja this fall on the same tires (because I am too cheap to change them). Obviously not planning on serious off roading. Just enough to get to the beach for the night and get some fish tacos and beer. A friend with an old KLR is likely going to do the trip with me (good to have a reliable old tractor along when trying to shake down the Enfield).

I hope you get some of the tires you spoke of in 19" and report back their capabilities. You and I seem to be in the same conundrum....not a lot of options in the 19" size for real adv riding.

I myself think I am going to try NJ Brett's suggestion of the K70 and see how it goes. I can always find a "whatever you have" 19" on the road if I burn up the rear too fast. (Anchorage is 8k round trip for me. I was hoping to find something to make the who trip without changing rears.)

Let me know if you come up with a good solution for footrests as well. My buddy and I have been looking into options for my Iron Barrel. Are the UCE footrest mounts the same?

Although, now that I think of it, motorat, what was your tire life like when you sold off your bike? 4300 miles on SR241's? They are certainly cheap enough (lets be honest, I may as well be a KLR rider in some respects when it comes to being cheap).

Ok, be safe all. And go ride. I get to lay down some miles today. Should be fun.
Old 05-20-2013, 04:43 PM   #68
Rango
Phaneropter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noisymilk View Post
Hey hey Rango! Thats awesome to see. Even if the tires aren't necessarily for the terrain. I am planning a ride down in Baja this fall on the same tires (because I am too cheap to change them). Obviously not planning on serious off roading. Just enough to get to the beach for the night and get some fish tacos and beer. A friend with an old KLR is likely going to do the trip with me (good to have a reliable old tractor along when trying to shake down the Enfield).

I hope you get some of the tires you spoke of in 19" and report back their capabilities. You and I seem to be in the same conundrum....not a lot of options in the 19" size for real adv riding.

I myself think I am going to try NJ Brett's suggestion of the K70 and see how it goes. I can always find a "whatever you have" 19" on the road if I burn up the rear too fast. (Anchorage is 8k round trip for me. I was hoping to find something to make the who trip without changing rears.)

Let me know if you come up with a good solution for footrests as well. My buddy and I have been looking into options for my Iron Barrel. Are the UCE footrest mounts the same?
Some time ago I had a closer look at the K70 and remained wary. The good look gave me no confidence for rough use. Reading NJ Brett's post of getting 8000 miles out of them on-/off) road, convinced me giving them a second chance.
Anxiously awaiting your evaluation.

About footrests.
Hm, I dare say nothing. By the book I should not have the footrests mine has.
All the bikes at the dealer's, from classic to electra (B5, C5, G5, E5) all have the same pegs and mounts as per the book for the classic, C5.
Look in the book for E5/G5 (page 7-30) and you'll find a mount and peg I've never seen here on a modern uce bullet.

Hitchcocks lists two folding pegs, one for the export bikes and one solely for the electra EFI (known as G5 in the States).
The picture is chrystal clear: no way that those "electra efi pegs" would fit on my electra efi, but the export model will fit as a tailor made suit.

Anyway I'm going for folding pegs and will post a pic then. Could be a while since I also have to deal with a stud.

Yes, the Roadriders will not let you down. Do think twice though before going into the loose.
And some pictures perhaps? Baja's gotta be great.
Old 05-21-2013, 02:22 PM   #69
Noisymilk
Run What Ya Brung

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rango View Post
Yes, the Roadriders will not let you down. Do think twice though before going into the loose.
And some pictures perhaps? Baja's gotta be great.
Baja is gorgeous. I'm sure you've traversed the many threads around here about Mexico in general and the Baja specifically. I'm a desert transplant....grew up in the midwest of the US. But I really like it out here, and am looking forward to exploring down there. Best part....I am like 110 miles from the border. I can just go any old time.

Vacillating between the SR241 the and K70 right now. (if you look at my build thread, you'll note the I whinge and change my mind all the time)

More importantly now is the electrical upgrade I want to do. I think after doing my bottom end work this fall, that is my next area of focus. Fortunately, not a great expense there, just taking the time to do it and do it right.

Where was that you were riding in your fallover pics up above?

If I get out into the sticks a little this weekend, I'll post some photos as well.

Take care.
Old 05-22-2013, 01:40 PM   #70
Rango
Phaneropter

That's the magic and the appeal of this site. Getting intimate through the reports with the finest areas of the globe.

I bookmarked your build thread when you got the banshee. I've been reading it last night. I can easily relate, decisions, decisions...

Ever thought of Mitas? The E-07 is 100/90-19 57T which would be perfect for us. Enduro touring tire, 50/50 which a high life of 15-20k, got it from various sources. I still have to find out how it does in mud and wet; on first impression might be a dry surface tire.

I looked at the pegs on yours and they are different from the uce's, not compatible.

Congrats on sorting out the heat issue.
Eventually it will all fall into place. It's a good bike.

The area I ride is nothing special. Used to be rural countryside, transforming slowly into suburbia. Big city gnawing on the border of our village.
Suburbians bring their culture, notoriously low tolerance level versus horses, fishermen and motorcycles. Roads and paths getting paved and if they were scenic reserved for them.
So it is hunting for the gems, like abandoned military sites, overgrown dumps, quarries and pits that not have been upgraded to recreational area. Since tracks are made by farmers they are not maintained which results in the above pictured training facilities.

Spent the day giving the bike the traditional wash by hand. Still few things to do, like sorting out why the roll-over sensor failed in its duties.
Old 05-24-2013, 10:05 AM   #71
Noisymilk
Run What Ya Brung

Dammit, Rango, don't you know better than to mention another tire to me?? :-) that said, the Mitas tire sounds like a contender. Its seems maybe the 19 is a front/rear tire? Can you confirm this? I like that in the same way i like the k70 being such. Good lifespan reports from several purple around the inter webs (because the inter webs knows everything).

I think I'm packing up and going camping tonight. Nothing special, just an RV site locally here near Lost Dutchman state park that i like.

Ok. Maybe i can drum up some more interest here. Longest trip an Enfield rider had taken NOT around India?

Be safe all.
Old 05-24-2013, 12:14 PM   #72
NJ-Brett
Brett

On my old Daytona, I was glad the pegs did not fold.
They could pivot on their mounts, but not fold, and in many dumps they saved the bike.
They did bend up, but you could just bend them back.

Some bikes, when the pegs fold, your shifter and brake pedal take the hit.
Old 05-24-2013, 01:35 PM   #73
Rango
Phaneropter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
On my old Daytona, I was glad the pegs did not fold.
They could pivot on their mounts, but not fold, and in many dumps they saved the bike.
They did bend up, but you could just bend them back.

Some bikes, when the pegs fold, your shifter and brake pedal take the hit.
That's a valid consideration. It would really spoil your day.
Given the enfield I think they would be ok, the stems stick out far and the rubbers are thick; second line is the crash bar.

But you made a light bulb go up here: suppose I change the mounting studs to accommodate dirt bike pegs. They pivot and bend up a bit, and being metal open grid have the advantage in wet conditions.
Something to brood on.
Old 05-24-2013, 01:51 PM   #74
Rango
Phaneropter

Noisymilk, I admit, that was a bit wicked.

The Mitas tire (E-07, E-08 and E-09) is a rear tire.
And they are indeed much more a dry ground tire, but they have a counter part for the wet: Heidenau K60 silica, also a rear tire and with good reputation regarding life expectancy.

Perhaps they can be combined with a K70 up front? Although I'm inclined towards Pirelli MT60 or MT90 for the front.

I'll second your Out of India proposal.

Have a great camping trip.
Old 05-25-2013, 11:15 AM   #75
Noisymilk
Run What Ya Brung

Ok, herein lies my confusion. Mitas North American site lists the 100/90 19" E07 as a front/rear tire:
http://www.mitas.eu/index.php?strank...d=52&pid=12293

But the north american distributor lists it as front only"
http://www.mx1canada.com/mitas-adven...-safari-tires/

So therein lies my confusion. I wonder if its just that 19" rear tires are so rare, that most people don't even bother listing a 19" as possibly a rear as well. I have an email into MX1 Canada (who apparently are the only people in NA I can get it from....which I find odd but whatever).

So camping ended up not happening last night. (no matter how hard I try, life keeps happening) But I did test mount my bags and stuff to see how it fits. I found what I think is a good solution on those tank panniers. I'll try and get a photo or 2 and post up tonight. And I think I will end up with the Wolfman Monarch's in the end when I actually get to travelling. I think those, the fronts, and some sort of duffel to hold the tent/sleeping pad/sleeping bag and I am good for some long distance travel.

NJ Brett...interesting about the foot pegs. I still am not certain if I need to get enduro type pegs for my enfield or not. Not sure about the reality of where I am actually going to ride vs. the need (read - I am a dirt riding NOOB). Gonna leave them as they are for my shakedown trips and see what happens.

Be safe all.