User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2013, 06:14 AM   #1
duck OP
Banned

Oddometer: 10,403
Opinions on Plasti-Dip aerosol

My spring project is to build a "utility" bike for running errands and shit. Our annual rainfall in Seattle isn't really that much in inches but it does drizzle constantly from September through June so I'm thinking this shit might be a good cheap coating for the center/side stands to prevent them from rusting.

Curious if other inmates have used it and how well it holds up.
duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:38 AM   #2
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,460
Maybe I looked at your Frankenbike a little too much but wouldn't some type of bedliner/rockguard be better? I think I looked too much last year and bought a can of that rockguard, only $10.00. Haven't used it yet but was thinking on applying some to parts of my centerstand and swingarm to protect the new powdercoating.

Altough I used the "extra durable" type of powder for bush bars on the centerstand, I know it won't resist my frequent riding on gravel.

That cross tube is what gets it the most, that one I usually slip black PVC water pipe over, sure pings a lot less......
Old 02-08-2013, 12:28 PM   #3
gozirra
Spam?

Oddometer: 156
I have the plastidip applied to some faring pieces on my ducati. (Damaged panel fix and just a black cover till I find new)
I applied 5 light to medium layers over a painted/flexfill/metal panels, letting them dry 20 minutes between.
It has been 4 months of daily commuting on the highway and some rain and hail, and the only spot wearing is where my knee armor on my waterproof overpants have rubbed one edge.

No rock chips, rinses with some water, and peels off with 0 issues if done right. The texture on the product depends on layer thickness and distance while spraying, remember, if you have too few coats it will not peel and spraying too thick at once will cause runs.
As for use on some metal to protect, go for it, no issues as far as I can see, well as long as you dont have rust sitting already and you are just covering it to eat away unseen. This will not protect from offroad use very well but for the occasional bits of rock probably.
PM me as needed for questions.
gozirra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:30 PM   #4
bomber60015
Anatomically Correct

Oddometer: 9,924
Platic-dip will be tough to get coated on things that large . . . . the underside of the feet will rub off toot sweet, of course (so would paint, natch) and the exposed edge of Plasti-Dip will likely start peeling quickly thereafter . . .

I've no direct experience with bedline, but I'd try that, just cuz I KNOW Plastidip won't last . . . .
"Here is your country. Cherish these natural wonders, cherish the natural resources, cherish the history and romance as a sacred heritage, for your children and your children's children. Do not let selfish men or greedy interests skin your country of its beauty, its riches or its romance. T.R.
bomber60015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:43 PM   #5
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 11,095
Quote:
Originally Posted by bomber60015 View Post
the underside of the feet will rub off toot sweet, of course (so would paint, natch) and the exposed edge of Plasti-Dip will likely start peeling quickly thereafter . . .
This is exactly what I was going to say.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 04:33 PM   #6
anonny
What could go wrong?

Oddometer: 5,513
Buy yourself an inexpensive Powder coati gun from Eastwood.

71- 450 Honda CL re & re

Just another pathetic sheep following the herd

anonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 05:01 PM   #7
duck OP
Banned

Oddometer: 10,403
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonny View Post
Interesting suggestion but after spending on a compreesor and a dedicated oven, none of which I have room for, I can get a fair amount of parts ceramic coated at a good local shop.
duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:41 AM   #8
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Quote:

Maybe but just had mine done locally. If I judge from the BMW powdercoating taking a beating from rocks on my swingarm/paralever torque bars, I think I'll try to protect the powdercoating a little further.Not all them powders have the same specs as to durability and resistance to salt sprays.But you probably know that, you sent me there...

The test piece we did and threw on the concrete then stepped on sure showed abrasions.

For the DIYs, Powder365 Silverado Silver with the satin clear is a near perfect match to the BMW Silver. Thanks for that,Mr. Anonny took a gamble when ordering, paid off....!

I'll go do another test piece this week with the "durable wet black" powder we used on my centerstand, just to make sure the rockguard will adhere to it without too much prepping.Then some more abrasion tests on the concrete floor.Sure I can try the Plastidip, should have some here, don't think it would resist my tests.

Compressor??? I tought only 10 PSI to run them guns. Oven???....any old kitchen stove with a glass door can do.

Painting them centerstands??? Best results I had was with Marine Urethane paints. But they take hours to dry and a week to harden fully unless you bake them. Smelly if you use your house oven or.....the top of the woodstove.

H96669 screwed with this post 02-10-2013 at 10:48 AM
H96669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:35 PM   #9
anonny
What could go wrong?

Oddometer: 5,513
You, compressor charge is low alright.... my gun shoots at 6 psi. Make sure to do a good prep as its key to good adhesion. You could just use a clear on the black for more protection, and your right just a discarded household oven will do.

Unfortunately not everyone has the luxury of enough space to do powder at home.

71- 450 Honda CL re & re

Just another pathetic sheep following the herd

anonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:54 AM   #10
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Quote:
You, compressor charge is low alright.... my gun shoots at 6 psi. Make sure to do a good prep as its key to good adhesion. You could just use a clear on the black for more protection, and your right just a discarded household oven will do.

Unfortunately not everyone has the luxury of enough space to do powder at home.
Don't send me reading more specs....I don't think that particular black takes the clear but I don't have the instructions here, they are up there. The prep....Well someone knows now that the silver was powdercoat from BMW. LOTS of prep and looking back just some blasting then a new coat of powder should have done it. Too cheap that quote! I'll make up for that.

Found the Plastidip,rockguard etc, will give it a try this week.I have just the right place to hang a test piece under the car and drive HWY 6 and 23.That will do it...
Old 02-11-2013, 10:33 AM   #11
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,170
Spray on bedliner paint is tough and sticks well. I have used it a lot.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:51 AM   #12
fast4d
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,201
plastic dipped my race fairing.

it resists chipping from flying rocks well but won't tolerate abrasion for too long.
2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
2013 KTM SMT 990
fast4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:27 AM   #13
DSM8
Where fun goes to die....

Oddometer: 3,666
Spray on bed liner.

I did this to the front grill of my truck, it is exposed to the element 24/7, takes a beating at freeway speeds etc.

Been almost a year, still looks like the day I sprayed it on.

A little harder than plastidip (use the eastwood bed liner spray, really good stuff).

That said it would be my first choice but the application procedure is the key.

a number of light coats (I did 6) makes for a much better application.
Takes a couple of days but the end results seem to last for a long time.
DSM8 is offline   Reply With Quote