User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2010, 08:54 PM   #1
Toby0987 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
hit air vest review

Bought a Hit-Air vest today. I currently have a Hi-viz Motoport air mesh kevlar jacket with tri-armor. I ordered the vest from www.safermoto.com. Bought the hi-viz lightweight vest-came to 423.79 for the vest and xtra co2 cartridge. I chose the vest because I think Motoport has the best abrasion protection out there with the air mesh kevlar, but I am also concerned with impact protection. After wearing the motoport jacket I felt secure but am always open to something else. After researching a ton of other gear I decided to go with the hit-air vest. I was debating whether to go with quad armor in motoport or the vest. The vest won out hands down-the neck and back protection are outstanding.
John at safermoto was great to work with.
I took the vest out today for a test run-my main concern was that it was going to block the flow of my air mesh, but it didn't at all-in fact it helped grab some air in the back of the motoport jacket. I was a little concerned about the size of the co2 cylinder but it is not noticeable once you put the vest on. The instructions for attaching the tether to the bike were simple and easy to follow.
Pros
1. Lightweight, not noticeable, flows good air.
2. Hi-viz is super bright
3. Unparelled protection for the body core
4. Easy to use
5. No waiting to get it-unlike some protective gear
Cons
1. Expensive
2. No arm protection
3. Only a supplement to present armored jacket
4. Requires another step to attach yourself to the bike
5. Only good on chosen tethered bike
6. Vest hi-viz is diff color than motoport hi-viz
7. Co2 cartridge is on right rib cage-vest better deploy or I will b f'd up on that side
As you can see I really had to dig down to get cons. I will update on the combo as the riding season progresses (hopefully won't have to see either in action). My friend was in a mc accident last year and is recovering still-learning to walk again-who knows if this stuff would have done anything to help, but I know it wouldn't have hurt.
With this in mind, I love the combo of the motoport kevlar and the hit-air vest. Highly recommend them both (I plan to get quad armor for next year). If I had to go with one item of protective gear other than a helmet and one item only then I would have this vest (I can survive skinned armsand legs, but I really need that body core stuff).
Toby0987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 10:42 PM   #2
spaceharrier
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby0987
Pros
1. Lightweight, not noticeable, flows good air.
2. Hi-viz is super bright
3. Unparelled protection for the body core
4. Easy to use
5. No waiting to get it-unlike some protective gear
Cons
1. Expensive
2. No arm protection
3. Only a supplement to present armored jacket
4. Requires another step to attach yourself to the bike
5. Only good on chosen tethered bike
6. Vest hi-viz is diff color than motoport hi-viz
7. Co2 cartridge is on right rib cage-vest better deploy or I will b f'd up on that side
I think you summed that up pretty well. I bought the non hi-viz but retroreflective edition from Safermoto lately. To the "Pros" I'd add neck protection, since I don't have any other gear that does that, and decided a neck brace was too much extra trouble. As you say, not a lot of crash test reports yet, but the design looks promising and it adds only modest extra bulk to the jacket. Vest is trivial to move between jackets, too.

Still sorting out how best to get into the habit of always tethering. I'm able to hook up the tether while riding, but that involves reaching over, grabbing it and hooking it up. That seems likely enough to cause me to crash, though, so not a good one to get used to. Perhaps an "airbag" light hooked up to the neutral light...
spaceharrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 11:54 AM   #3
Solstice0000
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 138
Am wondering if you still need to wear a back protector (eg. my Forcefield L2) if you are wearing the hit-air vest? Thanks.
Solstice0000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 01:00 PM   #4
JR356
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,432
Some ,if not most models come with a back protector,can even upgrade to better level protector when you order thru Safermoto,not sure about other sources.

http://safermoto.com/products/armor/index.html#3

JR3576
JR356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 03:12 PM   #5
Toby0987 OP
Adventurer

back protector

You can wear your xtra backprotector with it no problem-just more cushion for your spine
Old 08-19-2010, 04:06 PM   #6
TheMuffinMan
Forest Ranger Magnet

Oddometer: 5,109
I have the MLV vest, and you can order a back protector for the vest, but I find the padding in my jacket is sufficent. I blew up the vest one day when I was bored and the back/neck/ass airbag is pretty comprehensive and as such I don't think a back protector is even necessary.
Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
'12 690 Enduro // 690 Wiki
TheMuffinMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 04:17 PM   #7
spaceharrier
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMuffinMan
I have the MLV vest, and you can order a back protector for the vest, but I find the padding in my jacket is sufficent. I blew up the vest one day when I was bored and the back/neck/ass airbag is pretty comprehensive and as such I don't think a back protector is even necessary.
Yeah, I tend toward that theory as well. I already have back protectors in my jackets and while I'm not about to remove them, I'm having a hard time seeing how they'd play much of a role in any impact where the airbag was deployed.
Old 08-19-2010, 05:32 PM   #8
JR356
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,432
The problem comes if you go down suddenly,but don't separate from the bike enough to deploy the airbag,such as with a lowside.You will want a back protector then!

JR356
JR356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 06:49 PM   #9
TallRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,395
he's wearing it over his motoport jacket that has a built in back pad. The way its tethered it takes about 60-80 lbs of force to activate and a distance that you determine via cord length.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR356
The problem comes if you go down suddenly,but don't separate from the bike enough to deploy the airbag,such as with a lowside.You will want a back protector then!

JR356
TallRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 07:19 PM   #10
PJungnitsch
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceharrier
Still sorting out how best to get into the habit of always tethering.
I find the best is to lay the tether over the seat, so it's in the way when I get on.
PJungnitsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 08:36 PM   #11
spaceharrier
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJungnitsch
I find the best is to lay the tether over the seat, so it's in the way when I get on.
Yeah, mine is stable there. Bit of velcro on the tank maybe, methinks.
Old 08-23-2010, 04:22 PM   #12
Asphalt Assault
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby0987
Bought a Hit-Air vest today. I currently have a Hi-viz Motoport air mesh kevlar jacket with tri-armor.
Toby, can you share what type of Motoport Jacket you currently use with the Hit Air setup? I am considering this vest and currently have a Motoport Marathon with Quad Armor. Do you have any photo's to share with the gear? Have you considered velcro'ing it to your jacket to make getting on and off the bike easier? Very interested in any info you may have to offer on your setup.

Motoport is by far the best gear out there, I can only imagine Motoport with Hit Air would be great safety insurance against the variables out there. I talked to John at Safer Moto awhile back, offers an ADV Rider discount code via google pay "ADvRider1". Thanks John!
Asphalt Assault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 09:38 PM   #13
Toby0987 OP
Adventurer

motoport

I've got the ultra II kevlar-3/4 length-great jacket-i think hit air and motoport together is the best combo made. As far as tricks to remember to put it on I have just got into the habit of plugging myself into the bike then taking down the stand-just like a seatbelt-find that it is natural now-suppose I could type the words plug in and sticky it somewhere on the cluster, but haven't had a problem yet-if you are leaning to get it-launch-nothing better than having the best safety gear made. I vouch for three things in this world-motoport ultra jackets, my dog, and the hit air vest.
Old 08-26-2010, 02:47 AM   #14
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,901
Do the jackets have less of what makes the vest so protective? Seems odd that compared to the vest, the jackets are so inexpensive for what you get. Maybe, the jackets are Joe Rocket level quality? Just curious..
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 03:23 AM   #15
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,901
Alright, this kid is 12

he's wearing a Hit air vest, so some might be interested

http://www.anthony.alonso.tv/
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote