Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2013, 11:06 AM   #16
larrylarry75
Nacho Mama

Oddometer: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabe1 View Post
I did think about the tail light issue, but so far no troubles. I think if I could roll it back one notch my lights might could be seen. I hoping the cops around here have more to do than bust me on that one, I aint skeered .
I did what Speedo66 mentioned and use a set of the magnetic lights. The ones I have were around fifty bucks at NAPA, they're decent quality and easy to use. I figure the benefit is one of safety rather than avoiding a ticket but that's just me.

"It will wobble a little but no big deal as long as I know it is tied down securely."

I know exactly what's going on with the wobble, I had the same thing happen. There's an easy cheap solution, you can buy a tension-bolt that takes the place of the standard keeper bolt & cotter, the one you use to secure the rack into the hitch receiver with. It only takes a minute to install and once you tighten it up the rack is rock solid. Mine came with my Ultimate MX Hauler and I ordered a spare one later for around fifteen bucks. I didn't bother to shop around so you might find them cheaper; regardless of that they really work good.

"You will need some strength to roll it up the ramp and roll it off. If I had it to do over, I would try to find one more like just a rail with rail edges. This one is ladder style and the small scooter wheels are hard to roll on it."

Seems like we've both encountered the same set of issues as my Ultimate MX Hauler has the same ones. What you can do is add flooring to the rack - plywood - diamond plate aluminum - to cover the holes. To make securing the bike easier you could also add one of the basic wheel chocks to the rack. That will enable you to tie it down better and at the same time it will limit the lateral travel. Cost for one of the basic styles is usually around $25-35.

Lastly the difficulty in loading it won't be getting easier which is why I bought the Ultimate MX Hauler. It's somewhat costly but I figured if it prevented me from dropping my scooter even one time it would pay for itself. Not to mention how well I might fare if it fell on me.

Best,

LL75
larrylarry75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:15 PM   #17
cdwise
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 795
We have a trailer in a bag so if you have room for the equivalent of a foot locker in size storage isn't an issue. When we've taken it to pick up a bike we toss the parts in the trunk of the car or back of the SUV until we get there. Takes 5-10 minutes to set up (single or double) load the bike(s) into the Condor chock add a couple tie downs and we are good to go. If trailering to a campsite or some such unload and toss the bits into the trunk to have them safely tucked away until ready to use it again.We don't use it often but it works great when we do even at freeway speeds.
cdwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:55 PM   #18
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,500
The cops are likely to be just as picky about covering up the license plate. I got an equipment violation for a burned out license plate light
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:22 AM   #19
larrylarry75
Nacho Mama

Oddometer: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
The cops are likely to be just as picky about covering up the license plate. I got an equipment violation for a burned out license plate light
Those damn cops, waddaya gonna do with 'em?

LL75
larrylarry75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:30 AM   #20
maddiedog
PCX or GTFO

Oddometer: 223
A few folks on the PCX forum asked how I hitch-carried my PCX, so I put together a howto. Since you're considering a PCX150, this is probably really relevant: http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=319

The bike stays on great, and has been carried like this for tens of thousands of miles, on many, many trips.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:56 PM   #21
wannabe1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 552
Maddiedog has the rail type carrier that I wish mine was instead of the ladder type. Nice write-up and pictorial.
wannabe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:10 PM   #22
Chindog
Old Guy

Oddometer: 24
Thanks for posting that tutorial, David! Now I know how to load the scooter on the rack. I've got a hitch carrier but haven't had to use it yet. I'm still afraid I'm going to dip the bike over too far and scratch up the wife's Pilot! :)
Chindog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 05:46 AM   #23
wannabe1
Studly Adventurer

Even with all the great post on this subject including the pic of my zuma, she stranded me at work yesterday (battery) and what did I do. I caught a ride home and used my 6 x 14 heavy trailer to rescue the zuma. Why? because it so much easier to use than the hitch hauler. I know the OP has an issue with storage, but imho a small trailer would be the way to go.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:45 AM   #24
maddiedog
PCX or GTFO

Oddometer: 223
How is a trailer easier than a hitch hauler? I have both. Unless I take more than one bike with me, I always use the hauler because the deck of the trailer is easily 6" higher than the hauler, meaning more pushing of the scooter up a ramp.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:01 AM   #25
tuna101
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 240
I agree the hitch hauler is a lot easier than the trailer. 1 bike use the hauler!!!
tuna101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:17 AM   #26
wannabe1
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddiedog View Post
How is a trailer easier than a hitch hauler? I have both. Unless I take more than one bike with me, I always use the hauler because the deck of the trailer is easily 6" higher than the hauler, meaning more pushing of the scooter up a ramp.
In my particular case. Pull 2 pins, drop gate, walk up full sized ramp with scooter, place front wheel against trailer rail, lean scooter on kickstand, secure with 2 tiedowns, fold up ramp/gate and roll. Short of not having to check the VIN I doubt Lizard Lick Towing could have done it any faster. Oh, I forgot the minute to hook up the trailer and lights.

No straining, no balancing acts, no having to have tiedowns exactly where I could reach them and no need for a pictorial/tutorial. As stated, I have used both and in my case the trailer is much easier and the scooter is more secure. If a tiedown gives way or slips I still have a scooter on a trailer not a scooter all over the highway.

The OP doesn't have space to store a trailer so I am sure all of the post have given him plenty of knowledge on what is best for his situation.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:09 AM   #27
Qaz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
There is a type of hitch that the front wheel of your scooter will roll into and then is tied down. the rear wheel rolls down the road, very little tounge weight.
Qaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:54 PM   #28
rv-rick
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 206
I don't think you could tow a CVT scooter that way without screwing something up.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:16 AM   #29
DarthJ
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by rv-rick View Post
I don't think you could tow a CVT scooter that way without screwing something up.
Won't do that with my regular bike either. Rear tire would wear out quicker anyway.
DarthJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 02:45 PM   #30
Pilgrim21784 OP
Pilgrim21784

Oddometer: 89
maddiedog - absolutely outstanding post!!! Many, many thanks for it.
Pilgrim21784 is offline   Reply With Quote