Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-22-2013, 06:33 PM   #1
Mercenary OP
Mindless Savage

Oddometer: 957
Older luxury cars.

Hey folks. I'm planning a trip that will take me and my wife through parts of the US. I was planning on driving our 06 Jeep but I got to thinking....you can find all sorts of older luxury cars out there for not too much cash. However, some are more prone to problems than others. Does anyone have any opinions on older luxury cars? Thinking Caddy's, Lincolns, Audis, Beemers, etc, etc.....

Probably going to buy one around the 2001-2003 year range for around 5k.
Old 12-22-2013, 06:39 PM   #2
trailer Rails
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,927
Conversion van
trailer Rails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 06:43 PM   #3
subvet
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,690
not sure if this one is still for sale

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=930561

I would love to buy the damn thing myself "just because", but dont really have the space, and only occasionally drive the p/u truck I have now because I have a company car.
It looks like a fine road trip machine to me.

The only other recommendation I'd have is a late 90s or newer Mercury Grand Marquis or Ford Crown Victoria. Absolutely bullet-proof, have just about all the creature comforts you want, and get decent mpg. and are cheap to get into

Good luck with your hunt
subvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 07:17 PM   #4
Bill 310
Poser Emeritus

Oddometer: 2,829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercenary View Post
...you can find all sorts of older luxury cars out there for not too much cash. However, some are more prone to problems than others. Does anyone have any opinions on older luxury cars?
Probably going to buy one around the 2001-2003 year range for around 5k.
I have owned some luxury cars, many of which you alluded to in your post. We now drive toyotas, I mean Lexus vehicles. I bought my current one used (3 years) and let the OP take the 70K hit.

I may be trading in my 2002 LS 430 140,000 KM on a newer used one. The car is excellent and my only reason for trading it is to get built in blue tooth and a long wheelbase model so clients can sit behind me.

The trick with buying a used luxury car is the maintenance performed and who performed it. Lots of people cheap out on these cars as they get older I spent 2K this year having the serpentine engine belt and the water pump done. It is a every 100K or 10 year job, and I replaced the front seat foam cushions. Cars need to be kept up.

Cars like mine in good shape will sell in the 12-15K range and when you bring it home you will be able to resell it for about the same. Makes it a cheap 6 month rental.

It gets 10.1 litres per 100Km on the highway and with 4 snows is halfway decent in the snow.

One more thing avoid Mercedes and BMW, unless you like getting 4 and 5 K repair bills. 4 BMW's and 4 Mercedes later I have paid the price.

"Bill, I know you are of the ATGATT ilk but I think at times it clouds your reasoning."
Bill 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 07:22 PM   #5
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 31,741
A Lincoln Town Car if it's in your price range. You could probably sell it to a livery driver in a big city for what you paid for it when you're done.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 07:35 PM   #6
Bill 310
Poser Emeritus

Oddometer: 2,829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anorak View Post
A Lincoln Town Car if it's in your price range. You could probably sell it to a livery driver in a big city for what you paid for it when you're done.
Yeah I forgot that car, I ride in the so often and every time I get out of one I always think I wish I had bought one of the last ones. The one I was in last week had 900K on the odo and I have been in them with over 1.4 million K

"Bill, I know you are of the ATGATT ilk but I think at times it clouds your reasoning."
Bill 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 08:15 PM   #7
Mercenary OP
Mindless Savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by subvet View Post
The only other recommendation I'd have is a late 90s or newer Mercury Grand Marquis or Ford Crown Victoria. Absolutely bullet-proof, have just about all the creature comforts you want, and get decent mpg. and are cheap to get into

Good luck with your hunt
I owned an 86 Crown Vic and absolutely loved it. Gas mileage was bad so I traded it for a brand new Neon (SX 2.0). Now before you get all mad about that...that little Neon was one of the best cars we ever owned. 50mpg and NOTHING went wrong over the 7 years we owned it. If my wife hadn't written it off last year we'd likely still have it.

This car isn't one I'll be hanging on to for any length of time. It is mainly for the trip and that is pretty well it. I hear what you guys are saying about the foreign models and repair prices....that's for sure.....
Old 12-22-2013, 08:44 PM   #8
Mercenary OP
Mindless Savage

MAN...are Crown Vic's CHEAP. Just found an 2005 with 88k on the odo for 3900 bucks. Fully loaded too.....

Might have just found my road trip car....
Old 12-22-2013, 08:48 PM   #9
GP640
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,147
That's great, you'll have lots of cash to spare after getting that senior citizen smell removed.
I kid.
Sort of.

Wait till you leave it parked in full sun on a warm day.
GP640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 10:31 PM   #10
Dukeryder

Oddometer: 7,177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercenary View Post
MAN...are Crown Vic's CHEAP. Just found an 2005 with 88k on the odo for 3900 bucks. Fully loaded too.....

Might have just found my road trip car....
I've taken Mercury Grand Marquis (Lux Crown Vic) on Several road trips usually about 4 to 6hrs in length and that's about my limit in those cars. The Seats are just too marshmallowy and soft, not enough support to be truly comfortable. They also corner and brake like a 70s land yacht too.

That W126 Merc posted up is truly a great road trip car, I've taken similar cars which have the same Ergos (W123, W124s & W201) on LONG road trips and they're so comfortable, but They're getting old now and a break down would suck as there's not a lot of competent mechanics out there to fix them and parts aren't exactly stocked in many places.

Here's what I'd take:
Lexus SC 300

or GS 300

Very nice interior, with nice comfy leather seats not too hard like a VW Passat and not too soft like the Vic. The I-6 engine in these cars is bullet proof and so are the Automatic Trannies (You could actually get a manual in the SC but good luck finding that). These are 2 cars that are new enough that unless they were neglected will be dead nuts reliable.

If Fords are your thing, I'd look for a Lincoln Mark 8. Same Engine and Trans as the Crown Vic (4.6 V8 with AOD) but they have a much nicer interior and they handle much better because they're built on the same platform as the Mustang. The only troublesome are is the air suspension. But it's not a failure that'll leave you stranded.

Dukeryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 10:46 PM   #11
neanderthal
globeriding wannabe

Oddometer: 1,756
I daily drive a 95 Mercedes E320. I've daily driven the W124 (that body style for the last 10 years.) I'm on my third one. First one lasted 8 years. 2nd one was stolen. This one i've had for 2 years and put nearly 40000 miles on it in that time.

There is no better long trip car. The seats are a little hard, but they prevent fatigue in the long run. 17- 20 hours in one sitting no problem. Just stop for gas and food. Use the bathroom when you stop. Just came back from a 4000 mile road trip in it. 26 mpg. Serene at 60mph or 130mph. Don't ask me how I know.
Old 12-22-2013, 11:31 PM   #12
jsalman93
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 200
Have you ever considered an old Mercedes diesel. They are pretty cheap, reliable as gravity, and the diesel might help with the mileage for the drive

For the longest time I've thought those were the coolest, still kinda do

The Lexus is a good idea too.

2006 Yamaha FZ6
1992 Suzuki Gs500e (in progress)
jsalman93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 03:58 AM   #13
Anticyclone
Ride more worry less

Oddometer: 4,934
Run from a BMW 740 from that era. Run quickly and don't look back. A buddy bought a 1999 740i about a year ago as a second car. Let's say it's a good thing he has a truck. I'd guess he paid about what you're looking to pay, then put about that much in it in repairs over a years time, then sold it for what he paid. He basically rented the thing for $4000 for a year.

If this trip is going to be mostly interstate, and you can handle the marshmallowy ride, find a good Town Car. The more recent ones rode much better then the earlier ones. Should something go wrong (it's an old used car after all) there is a Ford dealer in every little town that can fix it quickly. Bonus points if you get black with dark tint or something completely pimptastic with a white leather interior.

EDIT: I like the Lincoln Mark VII idea too. My MIL had one that had 300k on it when she let it go.
Anticyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 04:57 AM   #14
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,160
Quote:
Originally Posted by neanderthal View Post
I daily drive a 95 Mercedes E320. I've daily driven the W124 (that body style for the last 10 years.) I'm on my third one. First one lasted 8 years. 2nd one was stolen. This one i've had for 2 years and put nearly 40000 miles on it in that time.

There is no better long trip car. The seats are a little hard, but they prevent fatigue in the long run. 17- 20 hours in one sitting no problem. Just stop for gas and food. Use the bathroom when you stop. Just came back from a 4000 mile road trip in it. 26 mpg. Serene at 60mph or 130mph. Don't ask me how I know.
I'll agree with this. I've done many long days in a row in the Bank Vault (aka 95 S320) and not gotten out of the car beat.

One bit of advice I've always tried to live by: Buy a few year old 'luxury brand' because typically the owners have taken better care of it than the average person.'

I'll also toss out a mention for Cadillac. You can get LOTS of car for the $$ buying a used Caddy.

M
Old 12-23-2013, 05:19 AM   #15
nskitts
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,903
The Crown Vic or a Town Car with the 4.6 liter would be my choice.

nskitts is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: