User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 40 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-05-2013, 11:38 PM   #301
Thinc2
Paciugo

Oddometer: 4,510
A few days ago I finally figured out how to tune my quad (with a little help from the RC Groups forum).

Then something strange happened yesterday - we finally had a no rain, calm wind day on a day when i wasn't travelling.

I went out to the backyard after work for a quick test flight to do the final tuning:

Since that was successful, I went out to the field by my house and opened it up for the first time (I know it's blurry, but am too excited not to share):

Amazing how stable the platform is! I flew with SL on and off - a big success.

Only have three batteries though - am ordering more today

Steady hover
Thinc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 11:19 PM   #302
Thinc2
Paciugo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CousinLarry View Post
Alright! The maiden went well! I landed it and messed with the KK2, and dropped the prop size to 8045's. There it is!! Fucker is sick!!! The roll rates are out of control. I love it.

Little preview video, I have to get some onboard. hahaa

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvvwWwYPTOo&hd=1

Best in full screen/HD
Are you aware of this thread:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1622447

I bet they would love to see your video.

as FYI - to embed a video on that forum, just paste the url from the YouTube "Share" section - don't use the embed code. Don't know why it works that way, but it does...
Old 06-07-2013, 06:18 AM   #303
CousinLarry
Ridin Dirty

Oddometer: 569
I thiI think I did post in that thread! That thread is what made me want one of those Vtails! Actually, it was Warthox's flight demo that made me want it. Well worth the wait! I actually scored another frame off a runryder member for $65 shipped and in perfect condition. Now I have a parts frame ;D
Old 06-07-2013, 06:44 AM   #304
DakarNick
Swabee

Oddometer: 6,522
Quote:
Originally Posted by CousinLarry View Post
I will have to answer those questions later when I can look at it.. hahaa...

I want one now. Dammit, Larry! I haven't flown my HT-FPV in quite a while. I may put it up for sale.
DakarNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 09:30 AM   #305
Thinc2
Paciugo

I'm finding I enjoy the build process as much or more than the flying. Just back from the field this evening - took a couple of major nose dives. This Hquad is holding up really well. And the ground is soft. For the whole series of flights, only damage was one zip tied motor coming off, and i had spare zips in pocket.

At one point I lost track of he orientation and it was far away. I landed, walked a quarter way there and "thought" I knew which way was front. Took off and promptly flew it over the barb wire fence into the cow field.

I walk over and with my stomach in the dirt I wiggle under the barb wire. Friendly cows - they all come over and say hello.

Can't find the quad in the tall grass. Hoping it didn't land in one of the many cow paddies... Still can't find it.

Have to squirm back under the barb wire, get the TX, squirm back under the wire again - (this is getting old). Turn on the TX, hear hte beeps, find the quad.

Called it a day. Good day out.
Old 06-07-2013, 10:47 AM   #306
Ladukebob
lost in hood river

Oddometer: 1,660
What makes the H Quad so much more difficult to fly than this one-

http://www.centuryheli.com/products/...html?pageid=95

Is there a stabilizing giro in the Phantom? I really feel stupid asking these noob questions but what hell. I had the money in hand to order the phantom this week and couldn't pull the trigger. Just too much money for something that I'd be mostly using for work and not being compensated. I was really impressed at how stable it flies out of the box though. I do realize it has a built in gps which seems cool but not sure how much it's needed.

I turned my neighbor on to the H Quad build kit from Flite Test for his son's school project and his build went pretty well but I guess flying it has been a disaster. They purchased a very inexpensive controller and I wonder if that's an issue.
findLadukebob
Ladukebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 10:55 AM   #307
biggziff OP
Funk Soul Bruvah

Oddometer: 7,749
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladukebob View Post

Is there a stabilizing giro in the Phantom? I really feel stupid asking these noob questions but what hell. I had the money in hand to order the phantom this week and couldn't pull the trigger. Just too much money for something that I'd be mostly using for work and not being compensated. I was really impressed at how stable it flies out of the box though. I do realize it has a built in gps which seems cool but not sure how much it's needed.

I turned my neighbor on to the H Quad build kit from Flite Test for his son's school project and his build went pretty well but I guess flying it has been a disaster. They purchased a very inexpensive controller and I wonder if that's an issue.
has the neighbor flown RC, especially helis or multirotors before? They're not easy to fly for the best of us.

- Otto von Bismarck

<><
biggziff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 11:21 AM   #308
Ladukebob
lost in hood river

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggziff View Post
has the neighbor flown RC, especially helis or multirotors before? They're not easy to fly for the best of us.

None at all, he's just learning and from what his father has told me he's getting discouraged. I thought maybe a better quality transmitter might help. They bought a cheapy $99 unit.
findLadukebob
Old 06-07-2013, 11:59 AM   #309
Saget
Not quite a full house

Oddometer: 467
Quote:

Is there a stabilizing giro in the Phantom? I really feel stupid asking these noob questions but what hell
There are no stupid questions! These things have a steep learning curve.

It's all about the controller, not the quad. The Phantom has auto-level on by default. Not sure if you can even turn it off, but probably. Depending on which controller your neighbor bought, it may or may not have auto-level. (The KK2 is an inexpensive controller, but has a very good auto-level that you can switch off & on in flight).

Auto-level turned on would definitely help a noob pilot, since the quad would return to a level hover by just letting go of the stick. I posted a demo video a few pages back. (Edit: Page 5, post 61)
2008 Kaw Connie14
2005 Kaw KLR650

Saget screwed with this post 06-07-2013 at 12:05 PM
Saget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 12:10 PM   #310
biggziff OP
Funk Soul Bruvah

Oddometer: 7,749
Quote:
None at all, he's just learning and from what his father has told me he's getting discouraged. I thought maybe a better quality transmitter might help. They bought a cheapy $99 unit.
While a TX with expo and dual rates would most assuredly help, what they need is someone to teach them how to fly. It's not instinctive and I get a little chuckle out of the teens that come to the flying field expecting that their 5 years of video game experience is going to help them fly an RC model. There are some naturals, but they're few and far between.

As Saget said, there is auto level and with a GPS board you can program in all kinds of holds like altitude and attitude, but an instructor is what they'll need most.

- Otto von Bismarck

<><
biggziff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 12:21 PM   #311
Saget
Not quite a full house

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggziff View Post
While a TX with expo and dual rates would most assuredly help, what they need is someone to teach them how to fly.
100% agreed. I can't tell you how many people I've met over the years that say "It's just a toy airplane/helicopter, how hard can it be??". Nearly every single one of those people have made ONE flight that ended in a pile of broken parts.
2008 Kaw Connie14
2005 Kaw KLR650
Old 06-07-2013, 03:02 PM   #312
Ladukebob
lost in hood river

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saget View Post
100% agreed. I can't tell you how many people I've met over the years that say "It's just a toy airplane/helicopter, how hard can it be??". Nearly every single one of those people have made ONE flight that ended in a pile of broken parts.
That will be me

I guess that's what appealed to me about the Phantom.
findLadukebob
Old 06-07-2013, 04:49 PM   #313
Saget
Not quite a full house

Quote:
That will be me

I guess that's what appealed to me about the Phantom.
If that's the case, spend $50 on one of these: http://www.airsoftrc.com/ladybird-qu...tf-yellow.html

...before spending $700 on the Phantom, until you & the neighbor know if it's for you. The Phantom is a very nice ship, but definitely overkill for a first time pilot. And the completely molded body won't crash well. You could spend a fortune on replacement parts before getting proficient.

The Ladybird is so small and light that you can fly it in your living room, and it will fly away from most mishaps without a scratch. And they fly surprisingly well. The skills you learn will transfer directly to the bigger quads.
2008 Kaw Connie14
2005 Kaw KLR650
Old 06-07-2013, 10:05 PM   #314
CousinLarry
Ridin Dirty

Oddometer: 569
Except don't get that one ^^

Get the original real Ladybird!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USPS-Ship-Mi...item3f1eeee303

It flies so much better than all the other little clones out there.. You won't be disappointed.
Old 06-07-2013, 10:06 PM   #315
Ladukebob
lost in hood river

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saget View Post
If that's the case, spend $50 on one of these: http://www.airsoftrc.com/ladybird-qu...tf-yellow.html

...before spending $700 on the Phantom, until you & the neighbor know if it's for you. The Phantom is a very nice ship, but definitely overkill for a first time pilot. And the completely molded body won't crash well. You could spend a fortune on replacement parts before getting proficient.

The Ladybird is so small and light that you can fly it in your living room, and it will fly away from most mishaps without a scratch. And they fly surprisingly well. The skills you learn will transfer directly to the bigger quads.
Seriously? I'm pretty sure I'd be in danger of losing my Man Card flying a ladybug
findLadukebob

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: