ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 61 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-23-2013, 03:54 PM   #601
Ladukebob
lost in hood river
 
Ladukebob's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Hood River, Or.
Oddometer: 1,749
Took the quad out to our local RC park where there was a lot more room to fly without running into anything....................except the ground.

Hit pretty hard and snapped a few arms off

I don't think I want to replace the arms because this frame just wasn't going to work very well for what I want in the long term.

Once it got up into the wind I just could overpower the wind it to make it back to where I launched. I cut power trying to get down out of the wind but I cut it back too much and it oriented itself in a way that by the time I realized what I had done it was to late. It was fun watching it hit the ground though

Maybe flying in the wind in self leveling mode doesn't work well. I just don't know, thought I was handling it pretty well but in a split second it was toast.

So, I'm looking for a new frame...................
__________________
2011 990 adv
2012 wr250r
You don't know what you don't know
findLadukebob
Ladukebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 05:20 PM   #602
spagthorpe
Beastly Adventurer
 
spagthorpe's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: San Diego
Oddometer: 14,637
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggziff View Post
Keep at it. Buying a little indoor quad like a MQX can really help also.
For indoor messing around, do you think that's the one to get?
spagthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 05:31 PM   #603
biggziff OP
Funk Soul Bruvah
 
biggziff's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Upstate NY
Oddometer: 8,085
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladukebob View Post
Took the quad out to our local RC park where there was a lot more room to fly without running into anything....................except the ground.

Hit pretty hard and snapped a few arms off

I don't think I want to replace the arms because this frame just wasn't going to work very well for what I want in the long term.

Once it got up into the wind I just could overpower the wind it to make it back to where I launched. I cut power trying to get down out of the wind but I cut it back too much and it oriented itself in a way that by the time I realized what I had done it was to late. It was fun watching it hit the ground though

Maybe flying in the wind in self leveling mode doesn't work well. I just don't know, thought I was handling it pretty well but in a split second it was toast.

So, I'm looking for a new frame...................
I've got a used DJI 450 frame with LEDs on it for cheap. Well reviewed frame that's very robust for a newbie.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ght=quadcopter
__________________
"Fools you are. To say you learn by your experience. I prefer to profit by others' mistakes and avoid the price of my own."

- Otto von Bismarck


<><
biggziff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 05:47 PM   #604
a65l
Wise guy, eh?
 
a65l's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Where life is good and the air is sweet
Oddometer: 1,297
Well. Been playing around with the Proto nano here for a few weeks and decided I wanted something a little larger. After some serious flirtation with the 350, I wound up with the Qx 180. Seems to work alright, and the camera is OK. Will do everything I want, and if I get teh bug for something more sophisticated I'll head on over to HK and build me 'un....
__________________
"It does not take so many words to speak the truth"
Chief Joseph
a65l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 05:52 PM   #605
Ladukebob
lost in hood river
 
Ladukebob's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Hood River, Or.
Oddometer: 1,749
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggziff View Post
I've got a used DJI 450 frame with LEDs on it for cheap. Well reviewed frame that's very robust for a newbie.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ght=quadcopter

Pm Sent
__________________
2011 990 adv
2012 wr250r
You don't know what you don't know
findLadukebob
Ladukebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 06:57 AM   #606
a65l
Wise guy, eh?
 
a65l's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Where life is good and the air is sweet
Oddometer: 1,297
Dammit. Dammit. Dammit. Like I don't have enough other projects to work on, now I think I will have to build a camera ship. or buy RTF, but I'm really not seing anything at a price point I like that will do what I'd like.
What I'd like, other than the norm, is a return home, GPS position/altitude hold, and enough weight to fly in moderate winds. I was sniffing around the QX 350, but its a little spendy for my tastes and I don't know that I care for their proprietary balde design that couldn't be replaced by APC's or some such.
Lots of options out there for the DIY'er, at least from HK. I'm not adverse to building, really, but I've got a 1/4 scale DH4 on the build board right now and I'd really like to wrap that up before I start on another project.....
__________________
"It does not take so many words to speak the truth"
Chief Joseph
a65l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 07:28 AM   #607
DakarNick
Swabee
 
DakarNick's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Parker, Colorado
Oddometer: 6,695
Quote:
Originally Posted by a65l View Post
Dammit. Dammit. Dammit. Like I don't have enough other projects to work on, now I think I will have to build a camera ship. or buy RTF, but I'm really not seing anything at a price point I like that will do what I'd like.
What I'd like, other than the norm, is a return home, GPS position/altitude hold, and enough weight to fly in moderate winds. I was sniffing around the QX 350, but its a little spendy for my tastes and I don't know that I care for their proprietary balde design that couldn't be replaced by APC's or some such.
Lots of options out there for the DIY'er, at least from HK. I'm not adverse to building, really, but I've got a 1/4 scale DH4 on the build board right now and I'd really like to wrap that up before I start on another project.....
Like I said before, I'm very happy with my 350QX. Are there better homebuilts? Of course! Are there better RTF? There is only one other real competitor, the Phantom, which did cost around $200 more for a similar platform until the 350QX came out and DJI lowered the price to compete, though it is still more money. I won't even compare the Phantom Vision at $1200. There is also the Walkera 350. Ugly (uglier?) and I've never really been into their products.

I know a lot of people love their Phantom. I've never flown one but hear mad props for it. (See what I did there? ) However, DJI customer support compared to Horizon's is dismal. You're better off taking it to the shop you buy it from or working with DJI's distributor, Empire RC.

Horizon, on the other hand, which owns Blade, Parkzone, E-Flite aircraft names, has awesome customer service. Fortunately, I've never had an issue with any of their planes or quadcopters I bought at retail. (I did have an issue with a plane's rudder servo on the "brick" but I bought that used. I haven't called to see if they'll replace it.)

As for the proprietary props... They're much better than the originals. The unlabeled "A" props, as they're called, since the new ones are labeled "B" props, are junk. The "B"s are stronger but still some people don't trust them. Before the "B"s came out there was (and still is) a vendor making aluminum adapters for regular props. I bought some at $25 and can put on 8045s or whatever works. But, I haven't. I haven't had any problems with my "B"s. All 350QXs now come with the "B"s standard. One set installed and a spare set in the box. The 350 stock props are lighter than regular props and designed for the 350. You'll lose a bit of power swinging a heavier prop and adapter. But people will sacrifice that for reliability (or believed reliability, anything can break).
__________________
'06 KTM 950 Adventure S
'12 Ram 2500, Cummins, 6-speed auto, Laramie Longhorn, RamBox
"The bouncer is a bulldog who looks like Wilfred Brimley and the password is 'diabetus'"-Stefan, SNL character
DakarNick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 09:20 AM   #608
a65l
Wise guy, eh?
 
a65l's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Where life is good and the air is sweet
Oddometer: 1,297
I was more thinking ease of replacement, rather than having to source HOrizon parts (which isn't all that hard here locally, really) might be nice to be able to just turn APc's, or whatever. I did eyeball the Walkera, can be had on HK for about $300 receiver ready, with "free" shipping. It would be nice to fly it with my 10c instead of having another rtf transmitter lying around that needs batteries.

I just went outside, blowing 10-15 with gusts and flew the 180. It handled the wind fairly well, better than I expected, but it wasn't a very steady camera platform. No suprises there. The video quality wasn't bad, but I can see vibration lines in the stock camera, and obviously 720 aint what it used to be. But it's neat to see the neighborhood from a different perspective.
__________________
"It does not take so many words to speak the truth"
Chief Joseph
a65l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 05:51 AM   #609
Dismount
Boring bastard
 
Dismount's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Beckley wv
Oddometer: 9,079
http://www.theboxcopter.com/212

I do believe this basic design will be my first quad build.
__________________
I like cold wet doggy nose in my crack.
Dismount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 06:43 AM   #610
Beemer Bob
Beastly Adventurer
 
Beemer Bob's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Beautiful Downtown WV
Oddometer: 2,571
I bought a Hubsan X4 and am learning all over again......


It's fun and I haven't broken anything----yet......
__________________
Bad decisions make great stories!

"Often wrong but NEVER in doubt"!
Beemer Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 05:27 PM   #611
CousinLarry
Ridin Dirty
 
CousinLarry's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: South/Central Connecticut
Oddometer: 611
I got a Hubsan for Christmas too - flies well in expert mode! I wish it wasn't auto-level but it's fun for a small quad. I like that I can control my Proto X with the TX.

I also got an AS3Xtra - can't wait to fly it! Gotta get some batteries tomorrow.. I thought it came with one but noooop!
__________________
2000 KTM 200 EXC with a street plate
CousinLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 10:08 AM   #612
Ladukebob
lost in hood river
 
Ladukebob's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Hood River, Or.
Oddometer: 1,749
While I'm waiting for the dji 450 frame to arrive from bigziff (should be here today) I've been reading up on the dji products. I didn't realize they made their products available for diy. The only thing I knew about them prior was the Phantom which was cool but spendy. Their Naza-M V2 looks like it would be pretty nice for what I'm ultimately trying to get out of a quad which is stable aerial video of project work for website publication (http://farmerscreen.org/). For now I'll build the 450 with the kk2 and learn more about flying (I have a long ways to go!) but I could see myself spending $300 in the future.

I forgot how much fun it is to start a new hobbie, it's cool that most of you guys have so many years of experience and like photography it's something I wished I had started as a young adult. Happy to have stumbled upon this thread.
__________________
2011 990 adv
2012 wr250r
You don't know what you don't know
findLadukebob
Ladukebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 10:27 AM   #613
biggziff OP
Funk Soul Bruvah
 
biggziff's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Upstate NY
Oddometer: 8,085
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladukebob View Post
While I'm waiting for the dji 450 frame to arrive from bigziff (should be here today) I've been reading up on the dji products. I didn't realize they made their products available for diy. The only thing I knew about them prior was the Phantom which was cool but spendy. Their Naza-M V2 looks like it would be pretty nice for what I'm ultimately trying to get out of a quad which is stable aerial video of project work for website publication (http://farmerscreen.org/). For now I'll build the 450 with the kk2 and learn more about flying (I have a long ways to go!) but I could see myself spending $300 in the future.

I forgot how much fun it is to start a new hobbie, it's cool that most of you guys have so many years of experience and like photography it's something I wished I had started as a young adult. Happy to have stumbled upon this thread.
There no limit to the amount of people here willing to help you spend your money.
__________________
"Fools you are. To say you learn by your experience. I prefer to profit by others' mistakes and avoid the price of my own."

- Otto von Bismarck


<><
biggziff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 11:34 AM   #614
Ladukebob
lost in hood river
 
Ladukebob's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Hood River, Or.
Oddometer: 1,749
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggziff View Post
There no limit to the amount of people here willing to help you spend your money.
I tend to be my own worst enemy in that regard.

I forgot to mention that before I disassembled the quad yesterday and after I had removed the props, I was spinning the motors in normal mode and in the expo mode I had set up. I was glad I had made those with a switch as it was interesting to notice the difference in the motor output of both modes. But the more interesting thing I noticed unrelated to the expo testing was that with throttles at 50% when I move the ailerons, elevators, or rudder (one at a time) all the way over to one side two motors slow way down or come to a complete stop as I expected. BUT they wouldn't restart when moving the stick back to center. Only after I cut the throttle back to 0% and then back do they start back up.

I didn't perform this test after the build and I really don't think the crashed caused it so it could be that when I did have my esc cables backwards during the build it did some damage. Or it could be something I totally over looked. I have four new esc's that I'll use and I'll set the kk2 back to factory reset and start over and see what happens. My hope is that it caused me to have so many problems trying to fly the thing, or I'm just that terrible of a pilot right now.
__________________
2011 990 adv
2012 wr250r
You don't know what you don't know
findLadukebob
Ladukebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 11:39 AM   #615
biggziff OP
Funk Soul Bruvah
 
biggziff's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Upstate NY
Oddometer: 8,085
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladukebob View Post
I tend to be my own worst enemy in that regard.

I forgot to mention that before I disassembled the quad yesterday and after I had removed the props, I was spinning the motors in normal mode and in the expo mode I had set up. I was glad I had made those with a switch as it was interesting to notice the difference in the motor output of both modes. But the more interesting thing I noticed unrelated to the expo testing was that with throttles at 50% when I move the ailerons, elevators, or rudder (one at a time) all the way over to one side two motors slow way down or come to a complete stop as I expected. BUT they wouldn't restart when moving the stick back to center. Only after I cut the throttle back to 0% and then back do they start back up.

I didn't perform this test after the build and I really don't think the crashed caused it so it could be that when I did have my esc cables backwards during the build it did some damage. Or it could be something I totally over looked. I have four new esc's that I'll use and I'll set the kk2 back to factory reset and start over and see what happens. My hope is that it caused me to have so many problems trying to fly the thing, or I'm just that terrible of a pilot right now.
Might just be the FCB not seeing movement causing this. I think I've seen the same thing with my stuff when it's static.
__________________
"Fools you are. To say you learn by your experience. I prefer to profit by others' mistakes and avoid the price of my own."

- Otto von Bismarck


<><
biggziff is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014