Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 45 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-26-2013, 04:30 PM   #121
biggziff OP
Funk Soul Bruvah

Oddometer: 7,770
Quote:
Originally Posted by DakarNick View Post
5.8 has issues with going around large objects such as trees and buildings, so I have read. So, I figured I'd give 1.3 a shot. I wanted 2.4 but it won't work because I use a 2.4 Spektrum radio.
Thanks

- Otto von Bismarck

<><
biggziff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 04:44 PM   #122
Schmeds
scarce

Oddometer: 6,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggziff View Post
If you're thinking of selling a kit you'd better be ready to support the tech issues including the control boards....I'm not going down that rabbit hole!

I think my stuff from HK for the Hexacopter was ~$350 or so including shipping ($51..international warehouse) but I bought lots of spares and had 2 more motors, escs than you did and I bought carbon fiber booms per Saget's build.

Good luck..the H quad build noted earlier here gets rave reviews and is cheap..
Noooo. I already live in that rabbit hole.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:57 AM   #123
BerndM
Shiftless One

Oddometer: 1,542
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaDakota View Post

First serious RC craft.
Interesting configuration you have there.
MOST people who have the F450 quad usually put the white arms in front and the red in the rear, like the head and tail lights on a car.
The alignment of the bottom plate is usually with the tabs facing front and rear, not sideways. This allows for a great place in front to mount your GoPro or ? with the rx and LED unit in the back.
For the purpose actual flying, It doesn't matter at all.
Have fun

Regards
Bernd
BerndM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:59 AM   #124
Saget
Not quite a full house

Oddometer: 467
Quote:
I just bought some FPV gear for my quads. All 1.3Ghz (1280/1258Mhz).

300mW Tx for my Hoverthings
50mW pico Tx for my mQX (and other micro craft)
Rx
Go Pro video cable for live output
Mini 580 line camera for the micros
Extra BEC for getting 5V to the pico Tx and mini cam
OK you guys, clue me in on the HAM license requirements for something like that. Do I need one to transmit any video signal, or just one above a certain wattage? Does the gear you describe fall above or below that threshold?

I have no desire to build my own shortwave radio from empty beer cans, or mount a 36 foot whip antenna on the family car. I'd just like to do FPV using off-the-shelf equipment without the risk of a heavy FCC fine.
2008 Kaw Connie14
2005 Kaw KLR650
Saget is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:31 AM   #125
biggziff OP
Funk Soul Bruvah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saget View Post
OK you guys, clue me in on the HAM license requirements for something like that. Do I need one to transmit any video signal, or just one above a certain wattage? Does the gear you describe fall above or below that threshold?

I have no desire to build my own shortwave radio from empty beer cans, or mount a 36 foot whip antenna on the family car. I'd just like to do FPV using off-the-shelf equipment without the risk of a heavy FCC fine.
Essentially anything over 10mw and you need a HAM license. It's stupid easy and costs $10. The question pool does not change so if you use the online test preps you'll get a 100 pretty easily. Just take the Technician test and be done.

http://www.eham.net/exams/

http://hamexam.org/exam/9-Technician

etc

- Otto von Bismarck

<><
Old 02-27-2013, 09:37 AM   #126
DakarNick
Swabee

Oddometer: 6,525
Yep, I am going to take my HAM test. Better than getting a fine, I suppose!
DakarNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:39 AM   #127
DakarNick
Swabee

I couldn't help myself!

Traxxas QR-1. Yes, that quarter is standard quarter size Colored rotor were on the rear. I prefer them on the front so I swapped them.

It compliments my HT-FPV nicely

DakarNick screwed with this post 02-27-2013 at 09:50 AM
Old 02-27-2013, 09:42 AM   #128
Saget
Not quite a full house

Quote:
Essentially anything over 10mw and you need a HAM license. It's stupid easy and costs $10. The question pool does not change so if you use the online test preps you'll get a 100 pretty easily. Just take the Technician test and be done.

http://www.eham.net/exams/

http://hamexam.org/exam/9-Technician

etc
I'll check it out. Thanks for the info!
2008 Kaw Connie14
2005 Kaw KLR650
Old 02-27-2013, 09:42 AM   #129
biggziff OP
Funk Soul Bruvah

Quote:
Yep, I am going to take my HAM test. Better than getting a fine, I suppose!
Ya...that assumes someone somewhere is actually looking for people transmitting.

- Otto von Bismarck

<><
Old 02-27-2013, 09:51 AM   #130
DakarNick
Swabee

Quote:
Ya...that assumes someone somewhere is actually looking for people transmitting.
True!
Old 02-27-2013, 10:10 AM   #131
Saget
Not quite a full house

Quote:
Yeah, chances are slim of being caught, but better safe than sorry. FPV is getting cheaper and more popular. The FAA is busy writing regulations for unmanned systems. The general public is bitching loudly about "drones". I wouldn't be surprised to see a crackdown in our future.

I happen to live right outside an army training center. I'm already paranoid about having someone in uniform stop by to see what I'm flying around.
2008 Kaw Connie14
2005 Kaw KLR650
Old 02-27-2013, 11:24 AM   #132
biggziff OP
Funk Soul Bruvah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saget View Post
Yeah, chances are slim of being caught, but better safe than sorry. FPV is getting cheaper and more popular. The FAA is busy writing regulations for unmanned systems. The general public is bitching loudly about "drones". I wouldn't be surprised to see a crackdown in our future.

I happen to live right outside an army training center. I'm already paranoid about having someone in uniform stop by to see what I'm flying around.
Yep..technically, the FAA has made it potentially illegal to fly FPV and moreso if you're doing it commercially...even still...there are plenty of people doing it for pay and just ignoring the FAA as they can't be bothered to get their act together.

- Otto von Bismarck

<><
Old 02-27-2013, 12:23 PM   #133
RomaDakota
Illuminatus!

Oddometer: 1,357
Quote:
Originally Posted by BerndM View Post
Interesting configuration you have there.
MOST people who have the F450 quad usually put the white arms in front and the red in the rear, like the head and tail lights on a car.
The alignment of the bottom plate is usually with the tabs facing front and rear, not sideways. This allows for a great place in front to mount your GoPro or ? with the rx and LED unit in the back.
For the purpose actual flying, It doesn't matter at all.
Have fun

Regards
Bernd
Maybe I was hypnotized by the music. Maybe I was just following the child build from the manufacturer page...

I figured the manufacturer would know. Others on youtube spend too much time talking and take 20 minutes to produce 3 minutes of content. I already ordered black arms... rarely are things static.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:53 AM   #134
biggziff OP
Funk Soul Bruvah

Quote:
5.8 has issues with going around large objects such as trees and buildings, so I have read. So, I figured I'd give 1.3 a shot. I wanted 2.4 but it won't work because I use a 2.4 Spektrum radio.
I was just reading about issues with harmonics using 1.3 and 2.4 together. Any thoughts on that?

- Otto von Bismarck

<><
Old 03-06-2013, 10:10 AM   #135
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kootenai Rider View Post
So what can you do with them other than fly around fast and perv it up with a camera strapped to it?

Since I got out of helis a few years ago these multirotor ships have become all the rage it seems. I never understood them much.
Easy to fly compared to the helos, and carry a heavy load (camera) and are very stable as a camera platform. The camera is driving the industry.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: