Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > The Garage
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-26-2012, 07:14 PM   #1
Travlr OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Question Xchallenge instrument cluster issue???

Hello all, for the last week or so my instrument cluster has been acting up. When the key is turned on with the motor off, the dash lights seem to work fine. They run through the initial check and settle at 0mph and whatever the mode is set to.

Once the bike is started the instr. cluster cuts out completely. sometimes it blinks back on running through the initial sequence and then settling at the cruising speed, the trip ODO and clock reset to zero though. The other modes seem normal i.e. 13.9 battery, 20xxx ODO, etc.

sometimes when it goes off the only thing that happens is that both signal indicator lights (in the dash) flash continually but the signal lights themselves do not.

I have check the connections and the grounds. All looks ok. Any Ideas???
thanks in advance,
Travlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 02:25 PM   #2
G-RDR
gedubya

Oddometer: 44
Power / short / ground / defective cluster

I don't post very often, but I'll give you my input.

Here are my thoughts:

Before it started acting up, was it worked on? Anybody messing around in this area? Did you ride in the rain or get wet? Did it hit the ground? More history please!

Sounds like a power problem. When you say the connections look fine, did you actually un connect them and check for moisture, corrosion, crud, etc..?

Maybe a visual inspection of the wiring harness in the steering head area to see if a wire, or wires have worn through. This may require removing the protective jacket on the harness.

Sounds like something is open, loose, grounded, shorted, or just plain worn out! All you have to do is find it!

Intermittent problems are the most FUN of all.

I'll check my schematics to see if I can find anything that might help.

COULD BE THE KEY SWITCH. You could confirm by wiring around it, if you have that capability.

G-RDR screwed with this post 12-27-2012 at 02:27 PM Reason: Add
G-RDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 03:43 PM   #3
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer: 3,352
The first place to look is at the ignition switch and the wires connecting to it. It's not too hard to pull it out to see. But that's where that sort of problem normally is found on the XCountry's and XChallenges.
Old 12-28-2012, 07:30 AM   #4
Travlr OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-RDR View Post
I don't post very often, but I'll give you my input.

Here are my thoughts:

Before it started acting up, was it worked on? Anybody messing around in this area? Did you ride in the rain or get wet? Did it hit the ground? More history please!

Sounds like a power problem. When you say the connections look fine, did you actually un connect them and check for moisture, corrosion, crud, etc..?

Maybe a visual inspection of the wiring harness in the steering head area to see if a wire, or wires have worn through. This may require removing the protective jacket on the harness.

Sounds like something is open, loose, grounded, shorted, or just plain worn out! All you have to do is find it!

Intermittent problems are the most FUN of all.

I'll check my schematics to see if I can find anything that might help.

COULD BE THE KEY SWITCH. You could confirm by wiring around it, if you have that capability.
I have disconnected-cleaned-reconnected all the connectors I can find, including all sensors, and everything behind the headlight. The ignition wires are still connected and solid. I had recently done the 12k service, so today I am taking it back to them to see what they say.

No rain or pressure washing. I rode it from Phx to Tucson for the service to be done, all worked fine. Problem started after the service. I have been in contact with the shop and they have been very helpful, that is why I am taking it back to them to see what they can come up with.

I too believe that it is a bared wire/ground, the problem is I can't find it, another set of eyes may see something different. hopefully.
thanks for your help
Old 12-28-2012, 07:32 AM   #5
Travlr OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRONE View Post
The first place to look is at the ignition switch and the wires connecting to it. It's not too hard to pull it out to see. But that's where that sort of problem normally is found on the XCountry's and XChallenges.
Thanks, tried that the other day but the two wires are still soundly connected. My buddy had that problem causing the bike to die. put in a toggle switch and bypassed the key altogether.
Old 12-28-2012, 04:33 PM   #6
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer: 3,352
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travlr View Post
sometimes when it goes off the only thing that happens is that both signal indicator lights (in the dash) flash continually but the signal lights themselves do not.
I missed this the first time I read post #1. That double turn signal flashing thing means something but I'll be darned if I can remember what. But I seem to remember somebody else saying that this was something that you can look up in the Service Manual (which I don't have.)

hmmmm . . .

I'll be interested to find out what you finally discover to be the cause.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:55 PM   #7
Travlr OP
Adventurer

Hmmmm

Still looking.....for electric problem???

So I thought I would take it out for a ride again. Stayed on most of the time when at road speed and only cut out when slowing down for corners and lights.

then went offroad...blinked on/off all the time...then I found some ice and snow...fell over a couple of times and broke the shifter selector shaft off. ARGH. . luckily enough of a stub remained to grip with vise-grips and get into 2nd gear for the offroad portion and 3rd for the road portion home. New parts await install.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:57 AM   #8
tbarstow
Two-wheelin' Fool

Oddometer: 3,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travlr View Post
Still looking.....for electric problem???

So I thought I would take it out for a ride again. Stayed on most of the time when at road speed and only cut out when slowing down for corners and lights.

then went offroad...blinked on/off all the time...then I found some ice and snow...fell over a couple of times and broke the shifter selector shaft off. ARGH. . luckily enough of a stub remained to grip with vise-grips and get into 2nd gear for the offroad portion and 3rd for the road portion home. New parts await install.
This still sounds like a short, or a bad connection with the pins on the back of the dash connector.

Have fun splitting your engine cases to replace the shifter shaft.
tbarstow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:26 AM   #9
Travlr OP
Adventurer

Not solved yet...

Just a quick update, the electrical issue is not solved yet...but I am about half way complete the selector shaft replacement. I will post a full thread once completed. awaiting parts.