Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2011, 03:00 AM   #1
Laromonster OP
Vesperado !

Oddometer: 1,297
Mini 14 sights

Actually its "Ranch rifle" sights
I have an old model i purchased around 1985 with the flimsy and hard to adjust flip up peep sight.

The rifle does not get much use nowadays, but that sight just bugs me.

Surfing the web i came across this mini 200r sight manufactured by tech-sights.

(pic stolen from www.tech-sights.com)

Its all steel construction, and has windage and elevation detent adjustments.
The peep has interchangable aparture inserts (can be bought separate)
Has anyone here have any experience with it ?

My rifle

It is not like any other mini 14 or ranch rifle i have ever seen as it has a wooden upper stock

A few years later i "assaultified" it with a folding stock and a muzzle brake/flash hider thingy

Old 05-21-2011, 05:15 AM   #2
josjor
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,605
I've got a set of Tech-sites on my Ruger 10/22 and I love them. I've never been able to shoot worth a damn with a scope and at 100 yards I'm actually more accurate with the tech-sites than I am with a scope. At 50 yards I'm pretty damned good with them. Lots of bunnies have hit the frying pan with this combo.
listen mister, we didnt evolve porcelin shitters just so we could squat to take a shit, like monkeys.
josjor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 06:32 AM   #3
jeep44
junk collector

Oddometer: 2,026
I bought my Mini-14 back about 1979 or so, and it had the wooden handguard,too. I've left it like that ever since.
jeep44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 10:24 AM   #4
RedRocker
Native Texican

Oddometer: 5,483
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep44 View Post
I bought my Mini-14 back about 1979 or so, and it had the wooden handguard,too. I've left it like that ever since.
Me too, paid $169 bucks new for mine.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
RedRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 10:45 AM   #5
pilot
Slacker Moderator

Oddometer: 31,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocker View Post
Me too, paid $169 bucks new for mine.
Same here, but no way can I remember how much I paid for it.
Old 05-23-2011, 12:39 PM   #6
ShadyRascal
Master of None

Oddometer: 6,120
I had a Mini-30 that I bought in about 1989 with the newer vented upper stock thing.

My Dad has a Mini-14 stainless with the wood upper stock.

I think the wood's much cooler.

Evolution, or, natural selection, has nothing to do with better.

It merely weeds out what is no longer suitable for the given context.

Originally Posted by Dragoon

I would rather be on my motorcycle thinking about God than in church thinking about my motorcycle.
ShadyRascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 01:02 PM   #7
barefoot
Frustrated Rock Star

Oddometer: 625
Very nice. I likes the wood upper, though I don't dislike the usual vented cover, either. Sorry, I don't have one of my own, so I can't speak to your sighting question.
Old 05-24-2011, 04:00 AM   #8
RedRocker
Native Texican

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot View Post
Same here, but no way can I remember how much I paid for it.
The only way I remember is I put it on lay away without the wife knowing about it. Got a late payment card in the mail from Oshman's....Busted!! LOL
I've had guns I don't even remember selling, my CRS is legend.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
Old 05-24-2011, 04:06 AM   #9
pilot
Slacker Moderator

Oddometer: 31,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocker View Post
The only way I remember is I put it on lay away without the wife knowing about it. Got a late payment card in the mail from Oshman's....Busted!! LOL
I've had guns I don't even remember selling, my CRS is legend.
Welcome to the CRS club.

Speaking of trying to get away with something, something is on a brown truck right now that I haven't mentioned to anyone. Hopefully, it will arrive during work hours, if you catch my drift.
Old 05-24-2011, 07:02 AM   #10
RedRocker
Native Texican

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot View Post
Welcome to the CRS club.

Speaking of trying to get away with something, something is on a brown truck right now that I haven't mentioned to anyone. Hopefully, it will arrive during work hours, if you catch my drift.
Yes I do, I get home before the wife every day, so I have better
luck with clandestine purchases.
Old 05-24-2011, 08:48 AM   #11
Laromonster OP
Vesperado !

Oddometer: 1,297
Swapped a few emails with a rep from tech sights, turns out they dont do international orders WTF.. I would think that the economy being what it is these days, turning down an opportunity to make a profit is somewhat of a strange policy.

A mate at work is doing his hols in florida in a few months.. hopefully i can order it online and have it sent to his hotel.
Old 05-24-2011, 02:20 PM   #12
wyowillys46
F=mA

Oddometer: 2,080
They may not be licensed by the State Dept. for exportation i.e. ITAR.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:51 AM   #13
LexLeroy
Aging Gracelessly

Oddometer: 1,544
I bought a new 182-series Mini-14 in the early 80's. It wasn't a Ranch Rifle but the factory rear peep sight was floppy and the front blade sight was canted since the barrel wasn't indexed accurately to the receiver. I ended up putting a Choate muzzle brake on it to at least get a decent and level front sight but the rifle would never group better than 6" at 100 yards. It stayed in the back of the gun safe for years and got sold almost 10 years ago.

Fast forward to last summer when it came home as part of a trade for some other stuff that I wanted - take the POS Ruger or no deal. I was gonna' cut the barrel and just re-install the Choate muzzle brake in the hope of tightening up the groups and then Sandy Hook happened. Maybe re-installing the Choate isn't such a good idea anymore. Problem is that there aren't too many good alternatives and the Choate didn't look like it was worth modifying in order to salvage the front sight. Hmmm... mill and lathe to the rescue.

Easy stuff first - replace the rear sight with a Tech-sights RR200. This is what Ruger should have put on the rifle originally.

Next step is saying goodbye to the Choate muzzle brake and 2" of barrel. I crowned and lapped the muzzle while I had the barrel bore centered in the four-jaw lathe chuck.

Lots of metal shavings and many hours later I had one of these in my hand - a custom front sight base for an M1A National Match front sight.

And here it is dry-fit to the barrel with the front sight installed. The front blade is probably kind of tall but I'll know how much to shorten it once I get to the range.

I stuck it in place with Loctite 620 and then drilled and pinned it to the barrel with a roll pin. It still needs to be blued and sighted in but the hard part seems to be done.

LexLeroy screwed with this post 02-15-2013 at 12:44 PM
LexLeroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:54 PM   #14
Snarky
Vodka Infused.

Oddometer: 1,342
I have a ranch rifle with a folding tube stock. I broke that damned little sight off about the second week I had the gun. It was accidently open and I snagged it on a branch in the woods. I haven't bothered to replace it in 10 years. I once had to order a spring from ruger, because the stock bolt retaining mechanism spring flew away, it took 2 weeks to get. The one they sent me was better though, tapered so it doesn't pop out. I wonder if you were to order a new rear sight from the factory, if it would be improved?

That Tech-sights RR200 looks pretty good though. I might grab that.
Pledge today! Service guarantees citizenship. @ http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com Thanks.

Snarky screwed with this post 02-11-2013 at 01:06 PM
Snarky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 01:07 PM   #15
LexLeroy
Aging Gracelessly

Oddometer: 1,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarky View Post
I have a ranch rifle with a folding tube stock. I broke that damned little sight off about the second week I had the gun. I was accidently open when I snagged it on a branch. I never bothered to replace it in 10 years. I once had to order a spring from ruger, because the stock bolt retainer mechanism spring flew away, it took 2 weeks to get. The one they sent me was better though, tapered so it doesn't pop out. I wonder if you were to order a new rear sight from the factory, if it would be improved?

That Tech-sights RR200 looks pretty good though. I might grab that.
Check their MINI200R if you've got a pre-2005 Ranch Rifle - that might be the one that you want. My guess is that a factory replacement will be the same thing that you lost years ago.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: