Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2013, 10:52 PM   #61
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 7,359
Quote:
Originally Posted by dddd View Post

PS: the foot test is BS, sorry. you have to be quite experienced, very used to do it, with the same clean sole boots (no mud, no grease, no grass, etc. to feel anythng that you might interpret very approximately anyway. About as good as touching the ground with your gloves....

You aren't looking for absolute brake traction, you just need to know if the road is still greased up or not.

There is a hell of a big difference and I'd question if you couldn't tell, regardless of footwear. I can tell the difference from my work boots, to my street boots, to my track boots etc etc.

Where this comes in REALLY handy is when you come out for work and everything is wet, well OK, did it just sprinkle and everything is slick as snot, or did I sleep through a gully-washer and the roads are fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciferMutt View Post
It doesn't rain often in NM but when it does it's usually a torrential downpour that, if you're in a car, the windshield wipers can't go fast enough for you to be able to see, and the roads flood badly near the curb almost immediately.

It doesn't matter what you are driving, that shit is dangerous to be in. Don't forget about the huge lightening all over the place, and the good chance you'll get hailed on too.

During the monsoon/rainy season here, I don't commute on the bike too much.
I used to, 45 miles one way. Really, the spring windy season was actually worse (I had to go over the Organ Mountains to get to work) 70mph "downsloped" winds for 5-6 miles makes for a lively commute. Plus you could usually see a monsoon storm coming in the form of flying dirt...like 20 miles in advance.

Unless they are worse further north?
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:39 AM   #62
duck
Banned

Oddometer: 10,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craneguy View Post
Just want to third the toll booth advice, and note that they are treacherous in dry weather too. If you're not careful your right foot will slip out in a second. I try to remember to only put my left down when paying.

Oh, and the the oil on the road isn't a film or it would always be an issue. It's down in the cracks and comes up to bite when those cracks and crannies fill with water. Eventually it's carried away.
Are you f'n series?

In this context the term "film" refers to a thin coating and does not imply adhesion nor permanence. e.g. "There's a film of dust on the piano."

Google search "thin film oil road rain" to see how often it's referred to as a "film" by physicists and others.
duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:22 AM   #63
SlipChip
Adventure Commuter

Oddometer: 3,139
If you ride to work in the rain your coworkers will think you are a bit looney. DAMHIK

“Discoveries are often made by not following instructions, by going off the main road, by trying the untried.” - Frank Tyger

"Life begins at the end of your comfort zone." - Neale Donald Walsch
SlipChip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:51 AM   #64
Dismount
Boring bastard

Oddometer: 8,676
they will also ask you, as water pours off of you in buckets, if you're wet.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:14 AM   #65
Craneguy
British Hooligan

Oddometer: 1,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by duck View Post
Are you f'n series?

In this context the term "film" refers to a thin coating and does not imply adhesion nor permanence. e.g. "There's a film of dust on the piano."

Google search "thin film oil road rain" to see how often it's referred to as a "film" by physicists and others.
I'm completely series (sic)
Old 02-12-2013, 12:26 PM   #66
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 7,359
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlipChip View Post
If you ride to work in the rain your coworkers will think you are a bit looney. DAMHIK

I used to hang a sign on my desk that said "Yes, it was cold this morning" or "Yeah, when it rains I do indeed get wet"
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:53 PM   #67
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,531
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craneguy View Post
I'm completely series (sic)
Old 02-12-2013, 01:27 PM   #68
Twilight Error
Going nowhere slowly

Oddometer: 22,495
Walking into the shop, with water pouring off my suit, my coworkers used to ask "Did you ride in that rain?!" I'd reply "No, its much too dangerous to ride in the rain. I pushed the bike in."

They don't ask that anymore.
Twilight Error is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:31 PM   #69
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Oddometer: 6,486
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight Error View Post
Walking into the shop, with water pouring off my suit, my coworkers used to ask "Did you ride in that rain?!" I'd reply "No, its much too dangerous to ride in the rain. I pushed the bike in."

I tell them that the RBR (Ride Between Raindrops) mode isn't functioning, and that's why I'm wet. Otherwise, I'd be dry as a bone. Some of them take a really long time to get it.

Doesn't expecting the unexpected make the unexpected expected?
Mr_Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:34 PM   #70
MADurstewitz
MADMark

Oddometer: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight Error View Post

When asked the same question I said: "No, I put on all of this gear and drove my truck just to screw with you."
Old 02-12-2013, 01:57 PM   #71
duck
Banned

Oddometer: 10,404
FWIW: I've got some Aerostich ropers that have a squeegy built into the left thumb. I thought it was a bit hokey when I bought the gloves but, much to my surprise, it does work pretty well to keep the visor clear in light rain and/or mist getting kicked up on the freeway.
duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:37 PM   #72
bess227
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
thumb wipers

the thumb wipers are actually quite handy, and cheap.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:38 PM   #73
Vanishing Point
A very sad panda

Oddometer: 2,571
Watch where you put your foot down at stoplights and stop signs. Paint in the road and tar sealant can be slippery when wet and make it easy to drop your bike.
Vanishing Point is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 02:02 PM   #74
ParrotheadJeff
Cultural Infidel

Oddometer: 1,186
Quote:
SO TRUE

Rain is one of my favorite riding conditions - especially on a hot desert day

Pretty darn good advice above. Watch out when the rain first starts, be careful of the painted markings, etc. The biggest thing I can add is to be extra careful when stopping at intersections where cars drop oil and especially be careful in left turn spots in center/left turn dividers and raised medians like this one in Las Vegas:

I wasn't thinking one drizzly evening as I entered the left turn lane to go from the eastbound travel on Cheyenne into the parking lot with the gas station and things got slippery in a hurry No crash, but I learned a lesson
Old 02-16-2013, 03:55 AM   #75
Mr Vimes
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 295
Quote:
So will the patients on the psychiatric inpatient ward you work on!

I love riding in the rain. Always do everything smoothly, 50/50 braking, easy throttle, smooth cornering. To be honest we don't get much choice over here, if you waited for a guaranteed dry day you'd never get out.

Just get good gloves (or a spare pair) as riding with wet hands is just miserable. A good one piece waterproof, waterproof boots or socks are a good idea and be on the look out for oil and diesel at junctions. On a warm day you can normally smell the diesel before you see it. White lines in the centre of the road are a bit dicey when wet so I tend to be real careful when passing.
Mr Vimes is offline   Reply With Quote