Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2013, 11:02 AM   #31
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by duck View Post
Not true. Diamond Gussetts come with inseams up to 36".
Good to know.
Old 02-15-2013, 11:35 AM   #32
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer: 1,043
Just saw your post.... I think it certainly is doable and I'm doing that with some of my favoite riding jeans. I'm an American living in Malaysia and we do tend to have lots of tailors here... most people taylor something vs. back in the US I thought it was rarer.

I really didn't like the fit and look of the dainese Los Angeles pants but I did love the way you could throw in hard knee armor in 5 seconds and take it out in 3 seconds and put it in your Givi box while walking around.

So the pants I'm making are based on that Los Angeles pant:

In addition to these pants though I'm sewing cordura on the knees, a bit on the butt and even "a stripe" up the thigh connecting to the waisteband. That's because I'm not using jeans as a base but some real light weight synthetic pants as here in the humid jungle they are much cooler and dry much faster but I wasn't sure if the fabric was strong enough to even hold the knee armor in a slide.
I'm got some KLIM D30 hip armor that I've been messing around with making a quick release pocket inside the pants so I can take those out almost as quickly as the hard knee/shin gards.

Malaysia taylors are the least creative people on the planet, but the best copiers in the world. It has been really difficult to walk them thru what I want, why and how but I know once I"ve got it down any taylor will easily be able to immitate it.

When I've got them like I like them I have kicked around the idea of starting a service of customizing other pants for +/- $40. That would be expensive for some I know as the total cost would be:

The cost of the jeans
shipping
Dainese deep V knee gards ($70 US retail)
Klim hip pads ($30 US retail)
Tayloring ($40)...

That would be close $200 for a pair of 501's. It would probably work something like you take your favorite jeans, put them on where you are most likely to let them sit, sit on your bike while someone holds it and mark with chaulk a certain part under the knee, put some chalk on paper on the ground and fall on your knees on the chalk, spray clear coat it and send them in. Buy the kneeguards/d30 pads yourself.

For mine I've added "secret side zips for the legs to go over boots and I've got some straps inside the pant legs holding the pocket that holds the bottom of the knee armor and then it comes outside the pant leg with a small cam lock that makes it fast to tighten the armor to the leg at the bottom from the outside if you are not wearig tall boots. If wearing tall boots you can shove the knee gards down the boot tops via the leg zipper...

I've been thinking about this way too much!
rickypanecatyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:36 PM   #33
wipe-out
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
i went all in on a pair of esquad jeans and couldn't be happier. they are expensive of course, but they look like a regular pair of jeans and seem to be bombproof. pockets for hip and knee armor, too. tested them once when i dropped a street triple, no wear, no tear (mind you, i wasn't going 100 mph but still, pretty happy with the jeans).
Old 02-15-2013, 05:05 PM   #34
Noth
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
I boought a pair of the Draggin Jeans last year with the armor.. What a waste of money.. I saw something else here.. but want to emphasize that the armor is simply velcroed to the inside of the jeans .. In the event of an impact, I'm not sure that the armor would stay where it's supposed to be.. si $100 more or less wasted.. I've never worn them.. I ended up buying a pair of mesh pants that I throw on over everything and also an Aerostich Roadcrafter when the weather is not too hot..
Noth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:20 PM   #35
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonad Nomad View Post
I'm married now, so I don't care as much about how I look

'Found my new sig. line

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits...
3990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 09:25 AM   #36
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelerider View Post
Dude,
Check out Sartso jeans.
www.sartso.com
I have a pair, they are great.
$149 + $25 shipping, and a 15% return fee.

Ummm, don't think so.

Speedo66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:30 AM   #37
Burninator OP
Zed's dead

Oddometer: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickypanecatyl View Post
Just saw your post.... I think it certainly is doable and I'm doing that with some of my favoite riding jeans. I'm an American living in Malaysia and we do tend to have lots of tailors here... most people taylor something vs. back in the US I thought it was rarer.

I really didn't like the fit and look of the dainese Los Angeles pants but I did love the way you could throw in hard knee armor in 5 seconds and take it out in 3 seconds and put it in your Givi box while walking around.

In addition to these pants though I'm sewing cordura on the knees, a bit on the butt and even "a stripe" up the thigh connecting to the waisteband. That's because I'm not using jeans as a base but some real light weight synthetic pants as here in the humid jungle they are much cooler and dry much faster but I wasn't sure if the fabric was strong enough to even hold the knee armor in a slide.
I'm got some KLIM D30 hip armor that I've been messing around with making a quick release pocket inside the pants so I can take those out almost as quickly as the hard knee/shin gards.

Malaysia taylors are the least creative people on the planet, but the best copiers in the world. It has been really difficult to walk them thru what I want, why and how but I know once I"ve got it down any taylor will easily be able to immitate it.

When I've got them like I like them I have kicked around the idea of starting a service of customizing other pants for +/- $40. That would be expensive for some I know as the total cost would be:

The cost of the jeans
shipping
Tayloring ($40)...

That would be close $200 for a pair of 501's. It would probably work something like you take your favorite jeans, put them on where you are most likely to let them sit, sit on your bike while someone holds it and mark with chaulk a certain part under the knee, put some chalk on paper on the ground and fall on your knees on the chalk, spray clear coat it and send them in. Buy the kneeguards/d30 pads yourself.

For mine I've added "secret side zips for the legs to go over boots and I've got some straps inside the pant legs holding the pocket that holds the bottom of the knee armor and then it comes outside the pant leg with a small cam lock that makes it fast to tighten the armor to the leg at the bottom from the outside if you are not wearig tall boots. If wearing tall boots you can shove the knee gards down the boot tops via the leg zipper...

Is the cordura to be sewn on the inside or outside of the pants. I've been debating the feasibility of buying some 1000 d cordura to be sewn on the inside of my jeans, covering the seat and knee area. Cordura ought to be easier to work with than kevlar or leather.
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:31 AM   #38
Burninator OP
Zed's dead

Oddometer: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3990 View Post
'Found my new sig. line
It seem's so much more depressing as a sig line...
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:09 PM   #39
jings
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 267
maple jeans from the uk
jings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:21 PM   #40
skierd
Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer: 2,851
I'll third the maple jeans. Saw them for the first time a few weeks ago, and the cut seems to be near identical to my current favorite pair of regular jeans. The only US supplier I've seen has them for a staggering $400... but good designer jeans can cost upwards of that much and won't last or work on a bike either. If I was still riding everywhere everyday, they'd be high on my list.
skierd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:26 PM   #41
andrewhtf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickypanecatyl View Post

The cost of the jeans
shipping
Tayloring ($40)...

Hi ricky, i'm from malaysia too. Where did you get your jeans customised?

Currently i only wear strap on knee protectors inside the jeans and that's all. Been thinking of wearing armoured shorts under the jeans too but that would make my already fitting jeans bulkier and tight.

I have seen some riders getting pieces of leather sewn onto the knee/shin and buttocks area of their regular jeans.
andrewhtf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 05:31 AM   #42
rifflebox
Yee Haw!

Oddometer: 203
Carhartt

I wear their double front heavy canvas pants for trips to town. They are tougher than any other jeans-type pants that I own. There are lots of dealers so you can actually try them on and make sure the material is thick and tough. Fit on Carhartt pants varies because they have a lot of different cuts and materials so if you find something you really like, buy two!
rifflebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:31 AM   #43
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedo66 View Post
$149 + $25 shipping, and a 15% return fee.

Ummm, don't think so.
Here are some Sartso jeans on closeout for $119 from an ADV vendor.
http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/c...+kevlar+jeans+

Chain wallet is gonna cost extra.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:48 AM   #44
Law Dawg (ret)
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 820
How about these? Anything with any REAL protection will not look like fashion jeans. For the record I own a pair of the kevlar patch lined jeans (the kevlar only covers some areas)...frankly they inspire so little confidence that I can't bring myself to wear them much.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:00 AM   #45
orgo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
My experience is only with the Draggin jeans . I wore them on several rides in the summer. I found them very uncomfortable . They seemed to generate a lot of heat in the seat. Normally I can ride hundreds of miles and 10 hr days if necessary. An hour or two is all I could handle in the Kevlar reinforced Draggin jeans
orgo is offline   Reply With Quote