User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2013, 08:24 AM   #421
DIRTSCOOTER
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
Harley?

I rode BMWs for quite a few years. At the York, Pa BMWMOA national rally, we were invited over to the H-D factory to do test rides around their test track. Every model of bike they had was there to test. My wife and I stood in the line for the Electra-Glides and rode it around the track several times and I was sold. If you're a touring rider it is a wonderful bike, mine has over 100,000 miles on it right now. It really depends on your taste and requirements in motorcycles.

2013 Triumph Trophy

'05 drz s/sm
DIRTSCOOTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 06:46 PM   #422
BCC
I know better

Oddometer: 8,438
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIRTSCOOTER View Post
I rode BMWs for quite a few years. At the York, Pa BMWMOA national rally, we were invited over to the H-D factory to do test rides around their test track. Every model of bike they had was there to test. My wife and I stood in the line for the Electra-Glides and rode it around the track several times and I was sold. If you're a touring rider it is a wonderful bike, mine has over 100,000 miles on it right now. It really depends on your taste and requirements in motorcycles.
I've never met a bike I didn't like, but these days if I'm not in the city or the mountains, I love riding the electra glide.

Cherish the memories------Ken OBSC
BCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 07:23 PM   #423
alii1959
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 587
I consider my '04 Road King to be similar to my Toyota Tacoma...sure, there are other trucks that do this better in this way or that, but none of them fits the bill quite like it does.

The best endorsement I could give for the "Harley experience" is the fact that if you are a "real" rider and not someone looking for garage jewelry you will probably put ton of miles on it. I have really had a hard time staying off the thing. I am piling on the miles. Everyone I have spoken/corresponded with says the same. There is something to being able to ride comfortably, at a reasonable speed, that seems to make me want to ride even more than I normally do. Sadly, most of my rides are short...but they are often. No other motorcycle I have owned has enticed me so much. I enjoyed them all, but even my wife says I didn't ride them as much.

Beyond all of that, I am enjoying the fact that I have a dealership close by that has enhanced the experience greatly. Of all the dealerships I have dealt with over the years, Augusta HD is absolutely the best of the bunch. While I will admit that Harley parts/service may be a bit on the expensive side, they are good quality and they always fit. The dealership is always willing to lend expertise/advice.

The other barometric in this equation: I have cleaned my Harley about once a month, or more, and that is infinitely more often than any other vehicle I have ever owned. I can't even explain why I do this...other than the fact that I can't not do something. I have a great deal of pride-of-ownership with this motorcycle and I can't even truly explain why.

Regarding the motorcycle you purchase, it should always be one that makes you want to ride. One that makes you feel a bit guilty for just having it. It is not about horsepower, its not about statistics, its not about technology, its is about feeling the joy of the open road. Whatever makes that happen for you....THAT is the right bike.
Old 03-16-2013, 04:29 PM   #424
hapbob OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 633
Cold and snow

Still very much winter here in Michigan
I have cabin fever and needed to do something with motorcycle
So went to Walmart and bought a new Harley magizine and came home to read it and decided to go in the shop and polish and clean the Road King.
That satisfied my fever for today
Hap
Hap
Retired USAF
hapbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 08:25 PM   #425
Rabon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpuller View Post
Another wonderfully thourough write up. Thank you.
I also moved from a RK to an EG (Ultra) I liked both. I ride in a fairly cool climate and spend well over half my time in rain (Coastal Alaska and western Canada) I prefer the EG by a wide margin, however when running in higher temps with a drier climate I would choose the RK every time.
Rabon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 09:13 PM   #426
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,430
I use these National Cycle hand deflectors in cold weather, they work very well at keeping the wind blast and rain off my hands.

http://www.nationalcycle.com/catalog...lWeather.shtml
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 04:22 AM   #427
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,614
Maybe some of you could lead me in the right direction.

What I'm contemplating is a style of bike that Harley used to make, but rarely does anymore. Bikes like the 1950's Harleys seems ergonomically better than so many bikes sold today... and some I've seen were nearly all painted instead of having chrome. Just good, all-around bikes without bling, and without the demand to keep the chrome clean.

I don't even know what this 'style' is called since the term "Standard" seems to now mean a cafe-racer style (with or without a fairing), and that's not what I think I'm after.

What I'm after, or wouldn't mind building from some used Harley if I could find the right model to start with, is more of a modern take on these styles of bikes:

Actually, this Indian kicks ass, too,

They seem to make a new one with similar designs, this is the 2013 Softail Deluxe ... which is almost there, but the saddle seems built into the bike (instead of sprung on springs) and really low:

So my question is... What used Harley to buy that with maybe only a seat (solo seat on springs) and a handle-bar change-out should I consider to get to this older 'standard' style of motorcycle? I don't think I'm looking for a used sportster any more since many sportsters have a narrow front wheel, and a few other things look 'off' on them.

My ideal version would have little chrome (but that's tough to get away from these days), hard panniers, and be a go-anywhere bike like people used to use them as. I'm not looking for style, just comfort and whatever it was that those old bikes had.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 04:43 AM   #428
twinrider
pass the catnip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post

My ideal version would have little chrome (but that's tough to get away from these days), hard panniers, and be a go-anywhere bike like people used to use them as. I'm not looking for style, just comfort and whatever it was that those old bikes had.
You are basically describing a Road King. In stock form take off the windshield and this is what you have left.

I believe they started making them in 1994, lots of choices for all budgets.

The Softail Heritage in your last pic is a nice bike but the suspension and braking leaves a lot to be desired compared to the RK. No hard luggage either.
Old 03-17-2013, 04:54 AM   #429
rjf
SBS's #1 fan in January

Oddometer: 4,376
Quote:

So my question is... What used Harley to buy that with maybe only a seat (solo seat on springs) and a handle-bar change-out should I consider to get to this older 'standard' style of motorcycle? I don't think I'm looking for a used sportster any more since many sportsters have a narrow front wheel, and a few other things look 'off' on them.

Sounds like road king with the police seat (or actual police RK)

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadslide, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming- WOW-WHAT A RIDE!
rjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 05:06 AM   #430
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,614
Thanks guys.

I am sort of describing a Road King, but Road Kings are, IIRC, very heavy. The requirement for boxes on either side wasn't meant to mean I want ones built by, or for, Harley. I can mount Mermite cans for all I care. I have pannier-tubing, a bender and a welder, so I can create whatever racks I need to.

I Road King would be nice, but at the same time they seem too much in girth, weight, etc.

I guess they used to come Chrome even back in the day, but then years later people painted them all one color (due to rust or whatever)? I've seen blue and red versions of this bike where just about all the chrome in this picture was the same color as the bike:

Something tells me that there is a vast difference to working on something like this vs. a modern Road King with its weight and such. Something like this 1956, with good brakes and a modern motor, is what I'm after. I think that maybe some of the pictures I posted earlier were wrong.

I probably can't afford an original 1956 Harley like this anyway, and I would like a little more in reliability, and a belt drive, but beyond that - the weight seems lighter, the wheels aren't too big nor too skinny, and it just seems like a great all-arounder.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 05:30 AM   #431
UnsureFooting
Title of User Here

Oddometer: 6,354
Look at an older electraglide. Pre-1990, iirc, the fairing was optional. The boxes may not even be on an old one.
Old 03-17-2013, 05:39 AM   #432
Bloodweiser
honestly

Oddometer: 2,618
harley hasn't changed it's looks much over the years.
to the uninitiated they all look the same.

most of the pictures you posted hint that you want a heritage softail.
but if you think you looking for something more like a road king
but lighter - check out the switchback.
same motor, minus 100 lbs.

Here's 2 switchbacks made to look a bit older.

every harley is a black canvas,
just find the one that fits you the best to start.

Bloodweiser screwed with this post 03-17-2013 at 06:15 AM
Bloodweiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 05:40 AM   #433
UnsureFooting
Title of User Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodweiser View Post

Every harley is a black canvas.
Intentional or not, nice word play. :
Old 03-17-2013, 05:45 AM   #434
twinrider
pass the catnip

Quote:
Thanks guys.

I am sort of describing a Road King, but Road Kings are, IIRC, very heavy.
Maybe check out a Softail Deluxe. About 83 lbs lighter than an RK but the difference feels greater because it is a bit smaller and has a lower seat height

The good thing about HD is that they always offer test rides so you can try them and see which one you like best.
Old 03-17-2013, 06:07 AM   #435
UnsureFooting
Title of User Here

Hell, wait for a test ride trailer to come around, and you could ride a bunch in one day!