Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2013, 11:27 AM   #421
n8dawg6
krunkin'

Oddometer: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by hapbob View Post
I'm still here I asked the original question why buy a Harley. I have been looking for a used Electra or ultra....no luck everyone seems to think they are made of gold. But today I found a road king 10 miles from my house...I think I bought it right and will pick it up tomorrow. I hope I don't miss the bat wing and radio...well see ill post pic...it's a bit dirty and that will be my first job a through clean and shine!
2009 Road King
Black
Bone stock
6000 miles
Thanks for inputs on here!
Hap
That's a good one. Congrats.
Old 03-08-2013, 11:29 AM   #422
EricD10563
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 662
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpuller View Post
Eric, You're the one who went from Road King to Electra Glide, right? And I asked you a while back to compare the two from your experience, right? I recall that you were fairly neutral between the two. Has that changed based on your prior post?

I've also got many miles on my Road King, and am debating between trading it while it has value, or taking it into 6 figures on the odo. Both have appeal to me.
Yes, I had the RK for almost 4 years, put 62k miles on it and traded it in while it still had value. For an all around bike the RK is about as good as it gets, can be made into anything you like, from a bar hopper to a full dress tourer. You can feel the weight on the EG but after putting 4500 miles on it in 4 months the more I ride it the less I feel the weight. The EG is top heavy and low speed work requres more care but is becoming less noticeable with time. I ride the EG easier than the RK not because it's not capable, but mainly because I'm listening to the tunes and find it more of a relaxing ride. There is little to no wind turblence behind the batwing fairing and for highway work the EG wins hands down. At first I found the difference between them substantial and wasn't sure if I made the right decision, the more I ride the EG the more I like it. Some of the difference might have been sentimental having been from Hawaii to BC to Texas on the RK I really felt comfortable on it. I tend to bond to a bike, I really knew the RK and now I'm getting to know the EG; now I'll jump on the bike for milk or whatever forgetting that it's a fairly big bike. It's still a toss up to which I would chose, touring the EG wins, all around bike the RK wins IMHO. BTW I like the added umph from the 103ci motor and I've already done a stage one, air filter, Power Vision, slip-on mufflers; mainly because I was getting some pinging from the motor. Another thing my gas mileage sucks with the 103, the 96 I got low 40's mpg the 103 so far the best I've gotten was 41 mpg and the worse was 32 mpg but that was running 85mph or so. I plan oneday to add the removable Tour-Pac kit that will really change the dynamics of the bike, even the RK with the Tour-Pac handled differently. Hope I made sense I'm rambling a little.
In 2009 I rode 18,589 miles on an island that's 72 miles long. That's 50 miles a day everyday for 365 days. I think I'll go home now. 93k miles and still riding http://travelwithe.com/blogengine.net/ my YouTube Channel http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTJA4CrFRY-_rvDejPct73g
EricD10563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 02:39 PM   #423
boatpuller
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 406
Another wonderfully thourough write up. Thank you.
boatpuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:48 PM   #424
ikonoklass
Kountersteering Krew

Oddometer: 2,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvininin View Post
Hey they guy asked why buy a harley? I agree, why buy a harley when there are much better options available.

Ever checked the resale value on a Victory? I passed on a 2010 Kingpin last month with less than 4,000 miles for $8,200! I did, however, buy an old Evo.
ikonoklass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 10:27 PM   #425
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,640
Buy a Harley when you WANT a Harley. There need not be any other justification than that. If you are buying a bike for a particular purpose, and there are better bikes out there for that purpose, then consider on of those. Motorcycles are not 4 door sedans or mini vans, and are rarely bought for rational reasons. If you actually know what a Harley is, then you will know if you want one or not. I just sold a Goldwing, and gave up plans (for now anyway) to buy a number of much more comfortable, practical bikes I had been looking at, including the new Honda CTX700 and Yamaha Majesty scooter, to buy a used Sportster. It was purely an emotional decision. I love the way Harleys look, sound and feel. I have never owned one, and I think that every motorcyclist should own at least one Harley in their life. I don't really expect the Sportster to be the last. I'm sure I will love it so much that I will wind up finding some way to buy a big twin. I may never own Japanese again, and will probably regret having waited so long. If you WANT one, GET one.
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 12:11 AM   #426
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,640
Looks like even Harley is copying something, though I don't know what. Is this the new David Bowie Glamour model? Those wheels look like they came off my neighbors Escalade, though I think his are bigger. That metal flake paint came straight from the '60s, though I don't remember it being used that way back then. This looks like a motorcycle with a gender identity problem.

Remember the original Night Train? Willie G.'s answer to complaints about the "yupped out garbage wagons" Harley was building back then. If only the complainers had any idea what Harley would be building these days. They did sell at least one, it is for sale on the Phoenix Craigslist. The seller probably got asked some questions about HIS gender identity when someone saw him on it. He will lose a fortune. He would be better off getting it repainted and put some real motorcycle wheels on it.

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/mcy/3629487755.html
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 03:03 PM   #427
DanVFR
Continent Crusher

Oddometer: 142
I own a Duc 749s and a Aprilia RSV 1000, Harley sportster wil fit in just right :)

I want one because i want to cruise at legal speeds and look cool, neither of which my sports bikes can do..

Simples :)
DanVFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:51 AM   #428
ikonoklass
Kountersteering Krew

Oddometer: 2,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmonce View Post
Different bikes for different folks. I make the comparison to music. Just to stir the pot even more.

I compare Harley's to vinyl records. A lot of tradition, a great listening experience, not the easiest, and continue to be ageless.

A lot of newer bikes could be compared to digital music. New, limited soul, good quality, easy access and won't be around for decades.

I ride a 2012 Suzuki DL 650 and '78 BMW R100. I listen to vinyl and digital.

This damn forum now has me interested in a Harley.
You, sir, are a philosopher.
ikonoklass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:24 AM   #429
DIRTSCOOTER
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
Harley?

I rode BMWs for quite a few years. At the York, Pa BMWMOA national rally, we were invited over to the H-D factory to do test rides around their test track. Every model of bike they had was there to test. My wife and I stood in the line for the Electra-Glides and rode it around the track several times and I was sold. If you're a touring rider it is a wonderful bike, mine has over 100,000 miles on it right now. It really depends on your taste and requirements in motorcycles.

2013 Triumph Trophy

'05 drz s/sm
DIRTSCOOTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 06:46 PM   #430
BCC
I know better

Oddometer: 7,931
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIRTSCOOTER View Post
I rode BMWs for quite a few years. At the York, Pa BMWMOA national rally, we were invited over to the H-D factory to do test rides around their test track. Every model of bike they had was there to test. My wife and I stood in the line for the Electra-Glides and rode it around the track several times and I was sold. If you're a touring rider it is a wonderful bike, mine has over 100,000 miles on it right now. It really depends on your taste and requirements in motorcycles.
I've never met a bike I didn't like, but these days if I'm not in the city or the mountains, I love riding the electra glide.

Cherish the memories------Ken OBSC
BCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 07:23 PM   #431
alii1959
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 539
I consider my '04 Road King to be similar to my Toyota Tacoma...sure, there are other trucks that do this better in this way or that, but none of them fits the bill quite like it does.

The best endorsement I could give for the "Harley experience" is the fact that if you are a "real" rider and not someone looking for garage jewelry you will probably put ton of miles on it. I have really had a hard time staying off the thing. I am piling on the miles. Everyone I have spoken/corresponded with says the same. There is something to being able to ride comfortably, at a reasonable speed, that seems to make me want to ride even more than I normally do. Sadly, most of my rides are short...but they are often. No other motorcycle I have owned has enticed me so much. I enjoyed them all, but even my wife says I didn't ride them as much.

Beyond all of that, I am enjoying the fact that I have a dealership close by that has enhanced the experience greatly. Of all the dealerships I have dealt with over the years, Augusta HD is absolutely the best of the bunch. While I will admit that Harley parts/service may be a bit on the expensive side, they are good quality and they always fit. The dealership is always willing to lend expertise/advice.

The other barometric in this equation: I have cleaned my Harley about once a month, or more, and that is infinitely more often than any other vehicle I have ever owned. I can't even explain why I do this...other than the fact that I can't not do something. I have a great deal of pride-of-ownership with this motorcycle and I can't even truly explain why.

Regarding the motorcycle you purchase, it should always be one that makes you want to ride. One that makes you feel a bit guilty for just having it. It is not about horsepower, its not about statistics, its not about technology, its is about feeling the joy of the open road. Whatever makes that happen for you....THAT is the right bike.
Old 03-16-2013, 04:29 PM   #432
hapbob OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 633
Cold and snow

Still very much winter here in Michigan
I have cabin fever and needed to do something with motorcycle
So went to Walmart and bought a new Harley magizine and came home to read it and decided to go in the shop and polish and clean the Road King.
That satisfied my fever for today
Hap
Hap
Retired USAF
hapbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 08:25 PM   #433
Rabon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpuller View Post
Another wonderfully thourough write up. Thank you.
I also moved from a RK to an EG (Ultra) I liked both. I ride in a fairly cool climate and spend well over half my time in rain (Coastal Alaska and western Canada) I prefer the EG by a wide margin, however when running in higher temps with a drier climate I would choose the RK every time.
Rabon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 09:13 PM   #434
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,014
I use these National Cycle hand deflectors in cold weather, they work very well at keeping the wind blast and rain off my hands.

http://www.nationalcycle.com/catalog...lWeather.shtml
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 04:22 AM   #435
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,725
Maybe some of you could lead me in the right direction.

What I'm contemplating is a style of bike that Harley used to make, but rarely does anymore. Bikes like the 1950's Harleys seems ergonomically better than so many bikes sold today... and some I've seen were nearly all painted instead of having chrome. Just good, all-around bikes without bling, and without the demand to keep the chrome clean.

I don't even know what this 'style' is called since the term "Standard" seems to now mean a cafe-racer style (with or without a fairing), and that's not what I think I'm after.

What I'm after, or wouldn't mind building from some used Harley if I could find the right model to start with, is more of a modern take on these styles of bikes:

Actually, this Indian kicks ass, too,

They seem to make a new one with similar designs, this is the 2013 Softail Deluxe ... which is almost there, but the saddle seems built into the bike (instead of sprung on springs) and really low:

So my question is... What used Harley to buy that with maybe only a seat (solo seat on springs) and a handle-bar change-out should I consider to get to this older 'standard' style of motorcycle? I don't think I'm looking for a used sportster any more since many sportsters have a narrow front wheel, and a few other things look 'off' on them.

My ideal version would have little chrome (but that's tough to get away from these days), hard panniers, and be a go-anywhere bike like people used to use them as. I'm not looking for style, just comfort and whatever it was that those old bikes had.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote