Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2013, 11:57 AM   #451
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by k-moe View Post
The bike Mr. Presley is riding looks smaller because it is. That's a '56 KH; precursor to the Sportster. It's a smaller framed bike than the others you've looked at.
Whew, thank you!

I was thinking that all that I had been wanting was made up in my head there for a few minutes.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 12:04 PM   #452
Bermudacat
Dirt Diggler

Oddometer: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
Thanks guys.

I am sort of describing a Road King, but Road Kings are, IIRC, very heavy. The requirement for boxes on either side wasn't meant to mean I want ones built by, or for, Harley. I can mount Mermite cans for all I care. I have pannier-tubing, a bender and a welder, so I can create whatever racks I need to.

I understand what you're saying. A 96-98 Dyna-Glide with the 'new style' FL front end might be right up your alley. You don't have the plastic sidecovers or a wider rear tire that is just there for show. With the 130 rear, the fender stays sleek. They have the battery box rather than the plastic sidecovers. Solo seat is no problem; just makes the rear fender look that much nicer. Rounded out with the 16' front wheel and nacelle headlamp, you have a modern bike, when trimmed out properly, looks like it is a half century older than it really is.
"No one ever seizes power with the intention of relinquishing it. One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution; one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship. The object of persecution is persecution. The object of torture is torture. The object of power is power. Now you begin to understand me." George Orwell
Bermudacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 12:13 PM   #453
Towjam
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 775
Quote:
Originally Posted by studad View Post
One thing about the pogo stick seats is they put you higher and more forward than the fixed seats of today. This made the controls seem less like forwards.
Not to step to far away from the OP's original question but I have to ask... do the "pogo stick seats" help make up for limited suspension? For example, going over gnarly RR tracks near my house, even at slower speeds, I tend to get bounced off the Badlander seat on my S'Bob. Would a solo seat with springs keep me planted?

"I had to lay her down." - from the Latin phrase meaning "I fell over."
Towjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 02:20 PM   #454
waveydavey
happy times!!

Oddometer: 9,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towjam View Post
Not to step to far away from the OP's original question but I have to ask... do the "pogo stick seats" help make up for limited suspension? For example, going over gnarly RR tracks near my house, even at slower speeds, I tend to get bounced off the Badlander seat on my S'Bob. Would a solo seat with springs keep me planted?

The tractor seat with springs that I have on my Crossbones is great over bumpy roads. HD lowered that bike 1 inch in the rear from the standard softail by decreasing the suspension travel. The springs give back the comfort, and more. It was a good idea on their part. I have been told that it looks dorky, but I don't really care.

FUCK CANCER!!!!
waveydavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 02:56 PM   #455
jersey jim
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,056
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post

The good thing about HD is that they always offer test rides so you can try them and see which one you like best.
My friend has one of these, with the 88" engine, he can move that thing along surprisingly quickly on a back road. I've put a few hundred miles on it, it changed my perspective on Softails. It is a genuinely fun bike to ride, and that counterbalanced twin cam has a very nice feel to it.

13 HD Ultra Limited, 03 Yamaha Road Star Warrior ( for sale! )
jersey jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 03:38 PM   #456
Jnich77
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 627
All you have to do is spend about 10 min at Bike week in Daytona and you'll never want to be associated with HD...haha
Jnich77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 03:54 PM   #457
BCC
I know better

Oddometer: 8,070
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnich77 View Post
All you have to do is spend about 10 min at Bike week in Daytona and you'll never want to be associated with HD...haha
I've spent many a day at bike week. I've always stayed at a motel across from the track. Convenient as hell to watch the races, visit the booths and get out of town for a ride with some friends.

Next time will be the first on a Harley.

Cherish the memories------Ken OBSC
BCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 03:56 PM   #458
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnich77 View Post
Reliability, torque, comfort and ergonomics - I wouldn't toss out the brand if they could deliver me that in one motorcycle I enjoyed while keeping my DR650 and some other bikes for other purposes.

I don't have to ride with the crowd - in fact, I've never found many road riders in any class (of motorcycle, not any class of racing category) who could keep up with me on the back-roads anyway.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Old 03-17-2013, 04:02 PM   #459
Jnich77
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
I don't have to ride with the crowd - in fact, I've never found many road riders in any class (of motorcycle, not any class of racing category) who could keep up with me on the back-roads anyway.

Sounds like you need to find new people to ride with...lol. ( Unless you are dragging knee in every turn )
Old 03-17-2013, 04:02 PM   #460
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bermudacat View Post
I understand what you're saying. A 96-98 Dyna-Glide with the 'new style' FL front end might be right up your alley. You don't have the plastic sidecovers or a wider rear tire that is just there for show. With the 130 rear, the fender stays sleek. They have the battery box rather than the plastic sidecovers. Solo seat is no problem; just makes the rear fender look that much nicer. Rounded out with the 16' front wheel and nacelle headlamp, you have a modern bike, when trimmed out properly, looks like it is a half century older than it really is.
I believe you know what I mean then but I'm not sure since Dyna-Glides always seemed so plain to me.

Do you know of any images/pictures of such bikes with narrower (not fully narrow) front and rear tires, etc.?

I have found some like http://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/ha...d-dynas-4.html , but if that's the FL front end, it looks sorta chunky. I guess I could live with it if the rest of the bike came together, but something turns me off about chunki-ness, lol.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Old 03-17-2013, 04:04 PM   #461
Jnich77
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC View Post
I've spent many a day at bike week. I've always stayed at a motel across from the track. Convenient as hell to watch the races, visit the booths and get out of town for a ride with some friends.

Next time will be the first on a Harley.

I went last Wednesday, I couldn't stop laughing at some of the people...lol.
Old 03-17-2013, 04:56 PM   #462
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,192
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersey jim View Post
My friend has one of these, with the 88" engine, he can move that thing along surprisingly quickly on a back road. I've put a few hundred miles on it, it changed my perspective on Softails. It is a genuinely fun bike to ride, and that counterbalanced twin cam has a very nice feel to it.
I had a 2000 FXST. Nimble, compact and like you said, the 88B motor is sweet. I prefer it to the rubber-mounted A motor. The downside was the poor suspension and the mediocre brakes. But when ridden at a relaxed pace it was hard to beat.

twinrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 07:23 PM   #463
Rabon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
Quote:
I believe you know what I mean then but I'm not sure since Dyna-Glides always seemed so plain to me.

Do you know of any images/pictures of such bikes with narrower (not fully narrow) front and rear tires, etc.?

I have found some like http://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/ha...d-dynas-4.html , but if that's the FL front end, it looks sorta chunky. I guess I could live with it if the rest of the bike came together, but something turns me off about chunki-ness, lol.
I don't pay much attention to the current line so I may very well be wrong but in the Dyna line I think only the Switchback has the FL front end.
Rabon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 07:32 PM   #464
Towjam
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 775
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabon View Post
I don't pay much attention to the current line so I may very well be wrong but in the Dyna line I think only the Switchback has the FL front end.
You're correct.

"I had to lay her down." - from the Latin phrase meaning "I fell over."
Towjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 08:21 PM   #465
davevv
One more old rider

Oddometer: 2,342
If the KH is what you're looking for, then the XL1200R is the last bike they made (2004-08) that is close to it.

The K model

became this

which by '04 had evolved into this XL1200R.

They have become less rider friendly since then (except for the XR1200).

Another nice, but slightly larger and heavier, bike in the vein of your first group of pics is the FXDX or FXDXT.
The FXDX does not have the fairing or bags that came standard on my FXDXT. And since you're not big on chrome, you might note that they originally came with black heat shields.
davevv is offline   Reply With Quote