Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2013, 04:02 PM   #451
Jnich77
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 678
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
I don't have to ride with the crowd - in fact, I've never found many road riders in any class (of motorcycle, not any class of racing category) who could keep up with me on the back-roads anyway.

Sounds like you need to find new people to ride with...lol. ( Unless you are dragging knee in every turn )
Jnich77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 04:02 PM   #452
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bermudacat View Post
I understand what you're saying. A 96-98 Dyna-Glide with the 'new style' FL front end might be right up your alley. You don't have the plastic sidecovers or a wider rear tire that is just there for show. With the 130 rear, the fender stays sleek. They have the battery box rather than the plastic sidecovers. Solo seat is no problem; just makes the rear fender look that much nicer. Rounded out with the 16' front wheel and nacelle headlamp, you have a modern bike, when trimmed out properly, looks like it is a half century older than it really is.
I believe you know what I mean then but I'm not sure since Dyna-Glides always seemed so plain to me.

Do you know of any images/pictures of such bikes with narrower (not fully narrow) front and rear tires, etc.?

I have found some like http://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/ha...d-dynas-4.html , but if that's the FL front end, it looks sorta chunky. I guess I could live with it if the rest of the bike came together, but something turns me off about chunki-ness, lol.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 04:04 PM   #453
Jnich77
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 678
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC View Post
I've spent many a day at bike week. I've always stayed at a motel across from the track. Convenient as hell to watch the races, visit the booths and get out of town for a ride with some friends.

Next time will be the first on a Harley.

I went last Wednesday, I couldn't stop laughing at some of the people...lol.
Jnich77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 04:56 PM   #454
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,358
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersey jim View Post
My friend has one of these, with the 88" engine, he can move that thing along surprisingly quickly on a back road. I've put a few hundred miles on it, it changed my perspective on Softails. It is a genuinely fun bike to ride, and that counterbalanced twin cam has a very nice feel to it.
I had a 2000 FXST. Nimble, compact and like you said, the 88B motor is sweet. I prefer it to the rubber-mounted A motor. The downside was the poor suspension and the mediocre brakes. But when ridden at a relaxed pace it was hard to beat.

twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 07:23 PM   #455
Rabon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
Quote:
I believe you know what I mean then but I'm not sure since Dyna-Glides always seemed so plain to me.

Do you know of any images/pictures of such bikes with narrower (not fully narrow) front and rear tires, etc.?

I have found some like http://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/ha...d-dynas-4.html , but if that's the FL front end, it looks sorta chunky. I guess I could live with it if the rest of the bike came together, but something turns me off about chunki-ness, lol.
I don't pay much attention to the current line so I may very well be wrong but in the Dyna line I think only the Switchback has the FL front end.
Rabon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 07:32 PM   #456
Towjam
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 775
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabon View Post
I don't pay much attention to the current line so I may very well be wrong but in the Dyna line I think only the Switchback has the FL front end.
You're correct.

"I had to lay her down." - from the Latin phrase meaning "I fell over."
Towjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 08:21 PM   #457
davevv
One more old rider

Oddometer: 2,354
If the KH is what you're looking for, then the XL1200R is the last bike they made (2004-08) that is close to it.

The K model

became this

which by '04 had evolved into this XL1200R.

They have become less rider friendly since then (except for the XR1200).

Another nice, but slightly larger and heavier, bike in the vein of your first group of pics is the FXDX or FXDXT.
The FXDX does not have the fairing or bags that came standard on my FXDXT. And since you're not big on chrome, you might note that they originally came with black heat shields.
davevv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 08:51 PM   #458
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,488
Quote:
Originally Posted by davevv View Post

Another nice, but slightly larger and heavier, bike in the vein of your first group of pics is the FXDX or FXDXT.
The FXDX does not have the fairing or bags that came standard on my FXDXT. And since you're not big on chrome, you might note that they originally came with black heat shields.
Thank you very much for your insight and knowledge, davevv (and all of ya).

That 1964 XLCH seems very much acceptable to the style I'd think I'd want (if it were big enough - I don't know if it is - and if it had the bars that swept back like on so many K models).

The bike, above, the FXDX, looks like it has the angles and design of a Honda Magna (or any bike like those semi-sporty, semi-cruiser bikes that were derived after UJM's). I'm sure it rides fine, but ...

Part of the overall neutral look that I'm pretty sure probably doesn't even matter is the equal-sized front and rear wheels on those old bikes. I'm not sure what the down sides are of nearly equal tire sizes and widths. Sure makes for a classic looking bike though.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 11:18 PM   #459
twinrider
pass the catnip

Quote:

Part of the overall neutral look that I'm pretty sure probably doesn't even matter is the equal-sized front and rear wheels on those old bikes. I'm not sure what the down sides are of nearly equal tire sizes and widths. Sure makes for a classic looking bike though.
I don't think that makes any difference in that kind of bike where you'd most likely taking it easy. The skinnier tires of yore gave the bikes nimble handling but have less lean angle compared to wider tires and a smaller contact patch for braking.
Old 03-19-2013, 05:05 AM   #460
foxtrapper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 776
Quote:
Originally Posted by hapbob View Post
Still very much winter here in Michigan
I have cabin fever and needed to do something with motorcycle
So went to Walmart and bought a new Harley magizine and came home to read it and decided to go in the shop and polish and clean the Road King.
That satisfied my fever for today
Hap
Cool. I keep going for snow flurry rides on mine (also new to the Harley world).

Definately going to have to make some changes to mine, to better fit my smurf like frame. Probably a set of min-apes to bring things back and up enough.

Love the gentle power and torque of the engine.

Been a bit surprised at how quickly I can get the bike into the "death wobbles". I've never considered myself a hard rider, though my touring bike friends think I am (but not my sport bike friends). The wobble isn't too big a deal, as it doesn't seem to ever grow. But I suspect one of the braces will be in my not too distant future with this bike.
foxtrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 05:59 AM   #461
Deans BMW
Granpa Hoon

Oddometer: 3,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxtrapper View Post
Cool. I keep going for snow flurry rides on mine (also new to the Harley world).

Definately going to have to make some changes to mine, to better fit my smurf like frame. Probably a set of min-apes to bring things back and up enough.

Been a bit surprised at how quickly I can get the bike into the "death wobbles". I've never considered myself a hard rider, though my touring bike friends think I am (but not my sport bike friends). The wobble isn't too big a deal, as it doesn't seem to ever grow. But I suspect one of the braces will be in my not too distant future with this bike.
What year and model do you have, does the late models RK have a wobble?
www.Motorcyclistcafe.com
Founder San Jose BMW
Deans BMW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 06:14 AM   #462
B.Curvin
Feral Chia tamer

Oddometer: 2,737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towjam View Post
Not to step to far away from the OP's original question but I have to ask... do the "pogo stick seats" help make up for limited suspension? For example, going over gnarly RR tracks near my house, even at slower speeds, I tend to get bounced off the Badlander seat on my S'Bob. Would a solo seat with springs keep me planted?
Years ago when I was about 20 I rode my friends WL45 on a regular basis. Rigid frame, pogo saddle, springer front end. You definetly got some hard hits through the forks, but seat wise it was much akin to floating down the road. The seat had no damping so you gently (and slowly) bobbed up and down while cruising down the road. It was a fun and comfortable ride.

Porsche Audi VW
B.Curvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 06:25 AM   #463
UnsureFooting
Title of User Here

Oddometer: 6,192
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxtrapper View Post

There may be something wrong with the bike. The Harley touring rigs are rock steady in a straight line, and I've never heard of one wobbling like that. Perhaps your forks are slightly off?
Old 03-19-2013, 06:26 AM   #464
foxtrapper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 776
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deans BMW View Post
I have an 04 RK that I bought this December. No Harley expert am I. I've read things that say the later models with the frame change don't have it as much, but that it wasn't completely eliminated.

In my limited (so far) experience, it's more a steady and rythmic wallowing. It's not at all like a tank slapper scenario, that grows quickly and violently. There's some videos on Youtube of it with police riders, it's very much like that, at about that frequency. It's not pleasant, but not anything to make you stop breathing either.

In the Youtube videos with the cops, they are pushing the bikes hard into the turns, I haven't done that yet. For me, the scenario that will get it going is flicking back and forth (like darting across a small traffic circle) and the like, or turning across uneven pavement that makes the bike bounce.
foxtrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:11 AM   #465
twinrider
pass the catnip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deans BMW View Post
I've racked up about 32000 miles on my '09 RK (new frame), had it up to triple digit speeds a number of times and have only experienced a wobble once when I hit a bump hard where the highway pavement transitioned to a bridge at about 80 mph with the bike fully loaded. Wasn't a death wobble, just enough to let me know I should slow down a little for those kinds of bumps. The '09~up's new frame, swing arm, motor mounts etc is a big improvement in this regard.