Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-30-2013, 06:10 PM   #526
UnsureFooting
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldman View Post
you admit that you changed the seat, footpeg position, mufflers, AND did suspension work on your bike ...
I changed the seat on my 07 sportster 1200. After just that I rode a bit over 950 miles in three days up through the BRP and surrounding roads. No problems at all keeping a good pace.
UnsureFooting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 06:26 PM   #527
Anteraan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Q: Why buy a Harley?

A: Because your old paint shaker broke down?
Anteraan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 08:47 PM   #528
boatpuller
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 395
Anteraan: When it comes to motorcycles you can either have a buzzy ultra-sonic jewelry cleaning machine, or a "paint shaker" at idle that smooths out wonderfully at 1200 rpm all the way the way to red line. You're always going to get some kinds of vibrations, so you choose the ones you prefer, and hope someone with nothing to contribute except tired, outdated, sophomoric "funnies" doesn't try to waste your time.
boatpuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 08:52 PM   #529
sixspeed
15 under Adventurer

Oddometer: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by robcig View Post
What about the Road King owners?? Can they chime in and give us some feedback. I especially would like to hear what they think of the shaky shaky at idle...personally, I like the bike, don't like the vibration at idle
To me the vibes at idle make the bike entertaining. Nothing like grabbing the front brake at idle and feeling the resonation of the vibes thru the front suspension.

I much like the way it smooths out at real-world RPM's. That is mucho important to me for preventing fatigue on long rides, at least for me.

What's funny is that when I take the RK to work I sometimes throw some breakfast in the saddle bags. A banana almost needs it's own padded container to protect it or it will come out after the hour plus ride to work looking like banana pudding.

Anyhoo, it's an acquired taste and for me the engine jumping around at idle is part of the fun of a big, heavy Harley touring bike.

Rob 2010 WR250R 2011 FLHP
sixspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 09:07 PM   #530
Jericho941
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
I had a guy excitedly asking me yesterday about my Road Glide shaking so much at a stop-light. I told him that it smooths right out once you get going. Those vibrations took dome getting used to and were certainly a shock when I first road it. Its not buzzy while cruising like my fz6 was and that matters more to me. I wouldn't mind being rid of the paint shaker aspect but I guess more of the Harley customers prefer it.
Jericho941 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 09:08 PM   #531
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,467
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post
Yep, I hated the stock riding position on my 48 too. A simple swap from the forward controls to mids solved that. I find the bars perfect now that I'm not folded over like a taco trying to touch my toes. It's now a very neutral riding position. They put me in a slight forward lean which counteracts the wind and is much more comfortable, IMO, than bars that make you lean back and constantly have to hold yourself upright and that concentrates all your weight on your tailbone.

I too was a Harley basher until recently. But, I guess my taste changed or something because now I love mine and haven't ridden any of my other bikes since getting it in Jan of this year.
I do wish some of you guys who tantalize us with saying you fixed the riding positions of modern Harleys would show pictures of you on your bikes.

Not neutral:

Not a neutral riding position:

I've ridden long enough and owned enough bikes to know what actually works for me, and I do believe I mostly agree with Brett:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
I do not think the new sportsters are about riding, at least not far, they are about looks.

OK bikes, after you replace the seat, suspension, fit new bars, relocate the foot pegs, ...
And...

What I think of when I think of the only Harleys to have a neutral riding position:

Show me a sportster, or really any modern Harley, with a true neutral riding position like those two bikes since you all say you've done it.

I had money trying to burn a hole in my wallet, and searched and searched for any modern sportster parts / builds that came anywhere near those (because I wanted a true American neutral-sitting ADV bike, and was going to build one based off of the way classic bikes were built), but after a few years of searching many a Harley thread (especially here on ADVrider), I've come up with just about nothing.

But not only that... that I've seen Harley isn't making anything comfortable save for the largest and most expensive ones.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 09:29 PM   #532
anonny
What could go wrong?

Oddometer: 5,425
My wife's Harley started acting up on a trip in California ( fowled plug) and asked at a gas station where the nearest dealership was.

Gas station owner says get back on the highway and take the next exit, the nearest Ducati or BMW dealers was more like 200 miles away.

71- 450 Honda CL re & re

Just another pathetic sheep following the herd

anonny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 10:11 PM   #533
Phish
Fishbone

Oddometer: 2,368
You buy a Harley because it is Meat and Potatoes every thing else is
Tofu !
Phish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 11:14 PM   #534
discochris
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,214
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonny View Post
My wife's Harley started acting up on a trip in California ( fowled plug) and asked at a gas station where the nearest dealership was.

Gas station owner says get back on the highway and take the next exit, the nearest Ducati or BMW dealers was more like 200 miles away.
And that seriously is a major reason why an HD is a good choice for someone who really travels a lot via motorcycle. For all the crap Harley riders take about owning garage jewelry and such (and that is justified to some extent), when I've been on long multi-day rides, I've seen far more traveling Harley's than probably everything else combined.

Plus, most dealers have a reputation of being extremely helpful to travelers who break down in order to get them on the road again quickly. Before Buell shut down I had an issue with a tire a few hundred miles from home and the dealer, who serviced Buells, could not have been nicer to me, even calling in a mechanic after hours to change my tire.

I've had friends break down on Honda's that haven't had nearly the positive experience. Not even close. I'm a couple years from my next bike purchase, but a big Harley tourer is on my list for this reason - I'd like to do some more long trips again (a toddler has kind of limited that for the time being, so I ride when I can), and knowing there is good support everywhere is a nice bit of piece of mind.
discochris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 03:32 AM   #535
Weldman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,078
Hey I understand. I bought a '99 that I thought I was

going to have to sell until I had an upholstery guy raise my stock seat height about 3 1/2" inches ... which is a huge difference that MADE a huge difference. Before I felt like my knees were up to my ears after more than a few miles, I was so cramped (I'm 6'). Now I can ride the thing all day, and I have.

Sportsters are great bikes, but let's face it, unmodified, they fit SHORT people better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnsureFooting View Post
I changed the seat on my 07 sportster 1200. After just that I rode a bit over 950 miles in three days up through the BRP and surrounding roads. No problems at all keeping a good pace.
http://advrider.com/forums/editpost....ost&p=21993746
Old 07-31-2013, 04:05 AM   #536
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 8,959
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
I do wish some of you guys who tantalize us with saying you fixed the riding positions of modern Harleys would show pictures of you on your bikes.
Check out a Road King or any of HD's Touring bikes. Very neutral position. Since I'm the rider I've got very few pics of me on the bike so grabbed one off the web.

I added a rider backrest to mine, makes it even more comfortable. Best bike I've had when it comes to racking up long, ache-free distances...

twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 04:14 AM   #537
studad
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 778
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
Check out a Road King or any of HD's Touring bikes. Very neutral position. Since I'm the rider I've got very few pics of me on the bike so grabbed one off the web.

I added a rider backrest to mine, makes it even more comfortable. Best bike I've had when it comes to racking up long, ache-free distances...

Yes, and if the rider would slide his feet back so that the balls of his feet are about where his heels are, that's a pretty good riding position. Not quite neutral, but very usable. That's how I rode a lot of the time.
studad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 04:21 AM   #538
twinrider
pass the catnip

Quote:
Originally Posted by studad View Post
Yes, and if the rider would slide his feet back so that the balls of his feet are about where his heels are, that's a pretty good riding position. Not quite neutral, but very usable. That's how I rode a lot of the time.
The huge advantage of the RK compared to my Super Tenere (with its neutral position) is that I can rest my legs in three positions: on the floorboards, on the highway pegs and on the passenger floorboards. This greatly reduces fatigue on long trips, especially involving superslab. With my bad knees, I also find the slightly forward standard foot position to be a bit more comfortable than having my legs straight under me.
Old 07-31-2013, 04:47 AM   #539
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,467
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post

But that's exactly my point - it's the MUCH heavier, much more expensive Harleys that had the riding position I'd want, yet I don't want the cost, and don't want the weight. As I wrote, I'm looking for an every-day bike that, just like those 1930's ones, would be lighter and be great ADV bikes.

Remember ... what this site is about?

Harley used to make comfortable bikes across the line, not just for the geezer RK paved road-based-only crowd.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 04:51 AM   #540
twinrider
pass the catnip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
I'm looking for an every-day bike that, just like those 1930's ones, would be lighter and be great ADV bikes.

Remember ... what this site is about?

Harley used to make comfortable bikes across the line, not just for the geezer RK paved road-based-only crowd.
Just pick up a used XL1200R...

Btw, the RK is better on dirt that you might expect and pushing nearly 900 lbs loaded up it's really an adventure!