User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2013, 04:58 AM   #541
Eaglebeak
Aussie BM rider, West Oz.

Oddometer: 1,833
Question:
In Australia, all the Harleys I have seen have tubed tyres, even the ones with cast wheels.
My mate has a XR1200 with cast wheels and yet the tyres have tubes, a PITA when we are out in the bush.

Is there any model Harley that runs TUBELESS tyres from stock ?
Eaglebeak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 05:02 AM   #542
bdonley
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
Just pick up a used XL1200R...
Or any other Sportster with midsets and reasonable bars.
bdonley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 05:06 AM   #543
studad
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 778
heck yeah, and cast wheels. and a mustang seat. and air shocks. I bet that is a VERY comfortable ride/ riding position. Plus 50 mpg and little maintenance. Perfect/
studad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 05:22 AM   #544
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 8,973
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglebeak View Post
Question:
In Australia, all the Harleys I have seen have tubed tyres, even the ones with cast wheels.
My mate has a XR1200 with cast wheels and yet the tyres have tubes, a PITA when we are out in the bush.

Is there any model Harley that runs TUBELESS tyres from stock ?
I've never heard of that before, must be OZ only...
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 05:26 AM   #545
Eaglebeak
Aussie BM rider, West Oz.

Oddometer: 1,833
Thanks, that was quick.

Yeah, I check out every Harley I see (and we've got a lot) and all of them have tubes fitted.
I'd love to know how the riders fix a flat with only a side stand.
Eaglebeak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 05:40 AM   #546
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
I do wish some of you guys who tantalize us with saying you fixed the riding positions of modern Harleys would show pictures of you on your bikes.

Show me a sportster, or really any modern Harley, with a true neutral riding position like those two bikes since you all say you've done it.

I had money trying to burn a hole in my wallet, and searched and searched for any modern sportster parts / builds that came anywhere near those (because I wanted a true American neutral-sitting ADV bike, and was going to build one based off of the way classic bikes were built), but after a few years of searching many a Harley thread (especially here on ADVrider), I've come up with just about nothing.

But not only that... that I've seen Harley isn't making anything comfortable save for the largest and most expensive ones.
Well, while I understand how it could be helpful I don't have any pictures of me riding my bike. I guess "neutral" is sorta relative too, in a way.

For the bar bend and position...

Some people seem to prefer the laid back riding position. But to me, I think that unless you have a big barn door windshield and some sort of back rest, you need some degree of forward lean to counteract and balance your torso against the wind blast on a naked bike like I prefer. IMO, if the bars are too high or far back and your torso is straight up, or worse, leaned back, you have to use your muscles to keep yourself upright against the wind instead of balancing your weight against it. For ME and my build, arm length, etc, I find that the stock bars on my 48 give me just the perfect balance of being upright enough to not put weight on my hands and wrists, while still allowing me to comfortably lean forward into the wind. Slight adjustments in elbow angle and lean allow me to adjust this balance at speeds ranging between 0 and 80 or so.

As far as foot placement...

Again, some people prefer their feet out in front of them. But, again, for ME, I find this very uncomfortable. It rotates by hips slightly and concentrates all of my body weight on my tailbone and bony parts of my pelvis instead of the meaty part (I don't have much of that meaty part anyway ) and thighs. It also keeps your ass planted with no real way of shifting your weight or lifting slightly out of the seat to absorb big impacts. It just isn't a good control position, IMO. It's fine for the knees, but not much else. BUT, the mid control position does away with all of these issues. It moves my feet back and slightly rotates my hips to relieve the pressure points on my bony ass. It also allows me to actually weight the pegs now instead of just sitting there. I can now raise up out of the seat at will and it puts me in a much better control position. It also is well balanced with my bar position so that the slightly forward reach to the bars is neutral instead of folding me over like a taco as in one of the earlier pics of the guy on the 48. I would actually prefer it if I could move the pegs back about another 3-4" but that's just because I'm used to having my feet more under me and not because the current mid mount position presents any real comfort or control issues like I had with the forwards. I'd say that my knees are roughly at a 90 degree angle and my hips are slightly less than 90 degrees when sitting at the most upright position, such as at low speeds. I noticed on my trip last Sunday, that at the end of the day nothing hurt. That's unusual for me. When on my GS on that same trip, my knees are usually starting to bother me a bit before I get home. So, overall I'd have to say that the current ergonomics of my slightly modified 48 works pretty damn well for MY body. YMMV.

As far as my riding position....

Imagine the picture you posted, and that I quoted above. Now move the riders feet straight back so that they fall directly below his knees, and you'll have a pretty good idea of what I have now. Or, take a look at twinrider's pic above and imagine that peg placement with slightly lower and more forward bars.

Now, with all of that said, not every bike fits every rider. There is no such thing as "one size fits all". At least not perfectly. We're all built different. I'm not a tall or big guy. I can be comfortable with my current set-up and low seat. A taller, longer legged rider may need a taller seat to relieve the knee angle, but I would think that that'd be about all the changes necessary. A lot of tall guys seem to move the pegs forward instead, and IMO, that's the wrong approach because of what it does to the rest of the rider's body position. I think this could be because of people's preoccupation with having a low seat height. I don't really get that since it is one of the three contact points of the rider triangle that can be adjusted to suit a rider's particular build Keeping it as low as possible severely limits what can be done to improve rider comfort. It's my opinion that the bar-peg relationship is just right on my bike, and that raising the seat height could adjust for taller riders pretty well without moving anything else. But that all depends on torso length, leg length, arm length, and the ratios of all those on the particular rider in question. The mid mount controls would probably work well for most, when combined with the right seat height, and perhaps a slightly taller bar as long as the bars aren't swept back too far.

BUT, that's just one guys interpretation and opinion of what makes for a comfortable riding position. YMMV.

"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy

Randy screwed with this post 07-31-2013 at 05:48 AM
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 05:43 AM   #547
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

Awesome looking bike! CONGRATS!
"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Old 07-31-2013, 06:04 AM   #548
jnor
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post
Well yes, sorta...

I didn't need the seat or the mufflers. Both of those were simple personal tastes things. I actually don't mind the stock seat. As I said, my new one wasn't about comfort so much as the aesthetic I wanted for this particular bike. The bar position is PERFECT, IMO. And some people may actually prefer the stock quiet exhaust. And not all Sportsters have forward controls. In fact, not very long ago they were an exception.... a thing that guys added to their bikes. They still do actually, which is why I didn't have any problem finding my mids, and could probably triple my money if I sold the forwards that came on the bike. I spent $65 and about 20 minutes making the swap. It's a simple bolt off, bolt on, change. And, yeah, I did a whopping 100 bucks worth of suspension "mods" using stock Harley Sportster parts. Lots of guys lower their bikes too.

I didn't touch the bars, or A/F, and I don't have a Power Commander. Runs just great as it is now.

People farkle their bikes all the time, but to say that they are no good without a list of things is going a bit far, IMO.

My point was that the Sportster is a good bike, fully capable of being ridden more than just down to the local bar. I will admit though, that IMO, the factory suspension on the new models does suck. I've made statements to that effect in this thread and the "Go Sportster" thread. Harley followed the styling trend and offered what most of their customer were doing to their bikes, as stock.

I guess why I take exception with negative blanket statements like that is that it gives people that may otherwise be interested in a bike, the wrong idea about them. I was just making the point that it doesn't require huge, complicated, expensive mods to make even the 48 a fine machine for actually riding. Do I wish that Harley still offered the Roadster? Sure, but they don't. But that doesn't keep me, or others like me that like the bikes, from making the newer models every bit as useful and enjoyable.

I can say this partly because I used to be a Harley basher myself. And before I knew better, a lot of my prejudice came from reading things just like the comment that I responded to above. But now that I DO know better, I find myself really enjoying the bike. Honestly, now that I've actually owned one, I really can't ever see myself without one. Maybe not as an only bike, but I hope I'm never in that situation, cause it'd be real hard to let a Sportster not have a place in my garage.

Well, after rereading things I see that I probably came off a little brash...

But, I just see so much bashing and negativity regarding various Harleys... well, like I said above, just trying to give the other side of it a bit so that people can see the whole story and hopefully make an educated decision. Taken at face value, comments like that can make people never look into it far enough to see just how easy it can be to make these bikes pretty damn good and a whole lot of fun.

09 Versys
jnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 06:39 AM   #549
foxtrapper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 630
I've an 04 Road King myself,

At idle, the engine shakes madly in its rubber mounts. Little of that motion gets transmitted to the rest of the bike. Though on occassion, it can shake so hard it makes my eyeballs rattle. It is not an endearing trait to me. But as that's really the only thing I dislike, and it's glass smooth as soon as it's off idle, I'll accept it. Either cut the engine off or rev it slightly if I have to wait a long time.

As for ergonomics, Harley has a zillion ways to move your feet, your hands, and your body. In my case, I've got a seat that scoots me forward and down while seated on the bike. My handlebars bring my hands back several inches, raise them a little, and tilt them outwards a bit.

With the floorboards, I can put my feet just about anywhere. The brakes are a little bit forward for me, but Harley has a shorter lever that I can install to bring the pedal back a few inches.

How is it for comfort? I can ride it all day long without discomfort. No back rest, just sitting upright on the seat.
foxtrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 06:55 AM   #550
bdonley
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:

Really nice. Great looking bike that's comfortable to ride. Now, if it only had some apes, way forward controls, and a bunch of skulls on it.......
Old 07-31-2013, 07:00 AM   #551
bdonley
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by studad View Post
heck yeah, and cast wheels. and a mustang seat. and air shocks. I bet that is a VERY comfortable ride/ riding position. Plus 50 mpg and little maintenance. Perfect/
It normally has a Hoppe Batwing fairing and HD hard locking bags. Had them off for a post Laguna Seca GP cleaning, and ended up riding it that way for a bit. I was thinking if there is a practical HD, this is probably it. Adding a taller windshield and I'm done. The Consumer Reports special. Good thing motorcycling's not a rational pursuit!
Old 07-31-2013, 07:34 AM   #552
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,481
Now we're starting to get somewhere with the types of bikes and riding positions I'd consider / that I could alter to be even better.

Nice bikes TwinRider & bdon.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 07:37 AM   #553
jnor
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
Here's mine with mid controls....

Very comfortable for me, I just came back from a week long trip on it...

Like Randy, I also have another bike (a DL1000 Vstrom), but I find myself on the Sportster most of the time now...

09 Versys
jnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 07:53 AM   #554
foxtrapper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
Now we're starting to get somewhere with the types of bikes and riding positions I'd consider / that I could alter to be even better.
You might want to explore and play with this link to get an idea of how much a Harley can be altered to fit an individual. It's called Fit Shop.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/wcm/C...es/fitshop.jsp
foxtrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 08:09 AM   #555
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnor View Post
Here's mine with mid controls....

Very comfortable for me, I just came back from a week long trip on it...

Like Randy, I also have another bike (a DL1000 Vstrom), but I find myself on the Sportster most of the time now...

I actually have SIX other bikes, and yet the Sportster is the only one I've ridden this year.

I really do need to think about doing a little house cleaning...