Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2013, 09:41 AM   #556
Cakeeater
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 910
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post
I actually have SIX other bikes, and yet the Sportster is the only one I've ridden this year.

I really do need to think about doing a little house cleaning...
I wish I had your problem, Randy.

I enjoy reading your reports.

Cakeeater
Cakeeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 09:57 AM   #557
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,188
Quote:
Awesome looking bike! CONGRATS!
Thanks but unfortunately it's not parked in my garage, just a random google pic.
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 11:03 AM   #558
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
Thanks but unfortunately it's not parked in my garage, just a random google pic.
Well THANKS, shithead!

Now that you've mislead me about not only your bike, but also your national origin, you really need to post a pic of the real YOU, on YOUR new XL1200R!
"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 12:00 PM   #559
rokinrider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Softail Slim

After dealing with some nagging back problems I got rid of my 09 R-1200R and got a new Softail Slim, Love It!!! I have been riding my E.Glide standard for 14 years and I enjoyed having the R bike for commuting and playing. I really like the Softail ride and the 103 linked to a six speed gets me going down the road just fine
rokinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 12:17 PM   #560
Phish
Fishbone

Oddometer: 2,368
Quote:
Well, while I understand how it could be helpful I don't have any pictures of me riding my bike. I guess "neutral" is sorta relative too, in a way.

For the bar bend and position...

Some people seem to prefer the laid back riding position. But to me, I think that unless you have a big barn door windshield and some sort of back rest, you need some degree of forward lean to counteract and balance your torso against the wind blast on a naked bike like I prefer. IMO, if the bars are too high or far back and your torso is straight up, or worse, leaned back, you have to use your muscles to keep yourself upright against the wind instead of balancing your weight against it. For ME and my build, arm length, etc, I find that the stock bars on my 48 give me just the perfect balance of being upright enough to not put weight on my hands and wrists, while still allowing me to comfortably lean forward into the wind. Slight adjustments in elbow angle and lean allow me to adjust this balance at speeds ranging between 0 and 80 or so.

As far as foot placement...

Again, some people prefer their feet out in front of them. But, again, for ME, I find this very uncomfortable. It rotates by hips slightly and concentrates all of my body weight on my tailbone and bony parts of my pelvis instead of the meaty part (I don't have much of that meaty part anyway ) and thighs. It also keeps your ass planted with no real way of shifting your weight or lifting slightly out of the seat to absorb big impacts. It just isn't a good control position, IMO. It's fine for the knees, but not much else. BUT, the mid control position does away with all of these issues. It moves my feet back and slightly rotates my hips to relieve the pressure points on my bony ass. It also allows me to actually weight the pegs now instead of just sitting there. I can now raise up out of the seat at will and it puts me in a much better control position. It also is well balanced with my bar position so that the slightly forward reach to the bars is neutral instead of folding me over like a taco as in one of the earlier pics of the guy on the 48. I would actually prefer it if I could move the pegs back about another 3-4" but that's just because I'm used to having my feet more under me and not because the current mid mount position presents any real comfort or control issues like I had with the forwards. I'd say that my knees are roughly at a 90 degree angle and my hips are slightly less than 90 degrees when sitting at the most upright position, such as at low speeds. I noticed on my trip last Sunday, that at the end of the day nothing hurt. That's unusual for me. When on my GS on that same trip, my knees are usually starting to bother me a bit before I get home. So, overall I'd have to say that the current ergonomics of my slightly modified 48 works pretty damn well for MY body. YMMV.

As far as my riding position....

Imagine the picture you posted, and that I quoted above. Now move the riders feet straight back so that they fall directly below his knees, and you'll have a pretty good idea of what I have now. Or, take a look at twinrider's pic above and imagine that peg placement with slightly lower and more forward bars.

Now, with all of that said, not every bike fits every rider. There is no such thing as "one size fits all". At least not perfectly. We're all built different. I'm not a tall or big guy. I can be comfortable with my current set-up and low seat. A taller, longer legged rider may need a taller seat to relieve the knee angle, but I would think that that'd be about all the changes necessary. A lot of tall guys seem to move the pegs forward instead, and IMO, that's the wrong approach because of what it does to the rest of the rider's body position. I think this could be because of people's preoccupation with having a low seat height. I don't really get that since it is one of the three contact points of the rider triangle that can be adjusted to suit a rider's particular build Keeping it as low as possible severely limits what can be done to improve rider comfort. It's my opinion that the bar-peg relationship is just right on my bike, and that raising the seat height could adjust for taller riders pretty well without moving anything else. But that all depends on torso length, leg length, arm length, and the ratios of all those on the particular rider in question. The mid mount controls would probably work well for most, when combined with the right seat height, and perhaps a slightly taller bar as long as the bars aren't swept back too far.

BUT, that's just one guys interpretation and opinion of what makes for a comfortable riding position. YMMV.

My last bike was an 05 Tiger, great bike, liked it a lot but with my 30 " inseam it was prone to an occasional road nap. Because of that I wasn't apt to jump on it just to buzz around town.

My SuperGlide fits me like a glove, love this bike, can't stay off of it. Like the post above I feel I have much better control with my feet under me. With the low center of gravity this bike is surprisingly nimble for an almost 700lb bike. I start to lose a little confidence after about 90 but my next mod will be a true-trac with Ohlins on the back, not decided yet on the fork upgrade. Maybe after that I will make it go fast.

The Tiger stock shock and forks had to be upgraded as well.
Phish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 01:10 PM   #561
coneye
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
Why should you buy a harley ,,, simple ,, because there a good bike ,,

Why a electra glide , , Mmmm wel if your getting old , why go for that monster , there are easier to handle harleys , that would be the harley i would be shying away from if it was because of age i would go a lighter one .

But then again if your young enough to handle a 400 kilo plus electa glide , you can handle ANYTHING
coneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 04:10 PM   #562
UnsureFooting
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldman View Post

Sportsters are great bikes, but let's face it, unmodified, they fit SHORT people better.

http://advrider.com/forums/editpost....ost&p=21993746
I'm 6'2, around 240. Saying a bike doesn't fit short people or tall people or whatever is just silly. Some people have back problems and they complain about cruisers and "feet forward". I have knee problems and complain about anything more than a 90 bend and no secondary foot positions. I also have big feet. My step dad has a road king, but I can't ride it very long because the floorboards are too close and the heel shifter gets in my way.

That does not mean that Road Kings are objectively uncomfortable bikes.
UnsureFooting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 04:51 PM   #563
twinrider
pass the catnip

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnsureFooting View Post
My step dad has a road king, but I can't ride it very long because the floorboards are too close and the heel shifter gets in my way.

The great thing about HDs is how you can customize the fit, in this case with extended floorboards and heel shifter. Or just remove the latter.
Old 07-31-2013, 04:57 PM   #564
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnsureFooting View Post
I'm 6'2, around 240. Saying a bike doesn't fit short people or tall people or whatever is just silly. Some people have back problems and they complain about cruisers and "feet forward". I have knee problems and complain about anything more than a 90 bend and no secondary foot positions. I also have big feet. My step dad has a road king, but I can't ride it very long because the floorboards are too close and the heel shifter gets in my way.

Exactly! That's why I always try to preface or conclude my comments with statements like, "for ME" or "YMMV". I can only relate what I've found works for me and I do my best to clarify that with some sort of disclaimer to that effect. Making blanket statements about something just because it does or doesn't work for you, is just plain silly. Making blanket statements about something you just think or read on the internet is worse! It's just plain STUPID!

If I sometimes do fail to make that clear I hope the reader will question me on it rather than just take it as a broad based fact and follow suit with the assumption that I mean it will work for everyone equally.
"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 06:30 PM   #565
UnsureFooting
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
The great thing about HDs is how you can customize the fit, in this case with extended floorboards and heel shifter. Or just remove the latter.
Oh, yeah.
Old 07-31-2013, 09:59 PM   #566
Anteraan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpuller View Post
Anteraan: When it comes to motorcycles you can either have a buzzy ultra-sonic jewelry cleaning machine, or a "paint shaker" at idle that smooths out wonderfully at 1200 rpm all the way the way to red line. You're always going to get some kinds of vibrations, so you choose the ones you prefer, and hope someone with nothing to contribute except tired, outdated, sophomoric "funnies" doesn't try to waste your time.
Funny, I've ridden a number of motorcycles that were neither - smooth through the rev range, and won't shake the front fender like crazy at a stoplight. But go ahead and justify whatever you want. After all, it's true in YOUR mind.
Anteraan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 10:04 PM   #567
boatpuller
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 461
Oh well, so much for my hopes.
boatpuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 11:15 PM   #568
UnsureFooting
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Some men, you just can't reach.
Old 07-31-2013, 11:39 PM   #569
twinrider
pass the catnip

Quote:
Fwiw, I've owned about 50 bikes and think you're spot on. My RK shakes at idle but once underway it's smoother than any other bike I've had.
Old 07-31-2013, 11:47 PM   #570
UnsureFooting
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Fwiw, I've owned about 50 bikes and think you're spot on. My RK shakes at idle but once underway it's smoother than any other bike I've had.
50? Are you Jay Leno or just indecisive? :p