Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2013, 05:09 AM   #586
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post
I actually have very limited experience with HD dealerships. But, the one time that I did wonder into one and see a bike I actually liked, the salesman actually offered me a test ride on his own, without me even inquiring. I wasn't even in there with any idea of buying a bike. Me, and the then future MrsRandy just wondered in on a lark to kill some time. But, a few days later I went back and took that test ride. I actually rode two bikes that day. They ended up not making a sale, but it did make me want one. Then a month or so later my fiance bought me the bike I wanted as a surprise Christmas gift from a dealer that was closer to me than the one that I took the test ride at. So, while that dealer and salesman didn't get anything out of it, HD's policy did sell a bike. I never even dreamed I'd want a Harley until I took that test ride. And, I agree, there was no pressure at all while there either time. They didn't try to steer me onto another bike. Just offered, and later gave me a ride on the bike I liked.
From a salesman's perspective, that's a load of shit.

He spent the time with ya and treated ya right, so now he works for corporate Harley?
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 05:21 AM   #587
Bloodweiser
honestly

Oddometer: 2,538
The salesmen at the dealership around me don't work on commission.
Bloodweiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 06:40 AM   #588
John K.
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodweiser View Post
The salesmen at the dealership around me don't work on commission.
Is this standard practice for Harley or just that one dealership?
John K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 06:47 AM   #589
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
From a salesman's perspective, that's a load of shit.

He spent the time with ya and treated ya right, so now he works for corporate Harley?
Well, yeah. I understand that and I don't like to waste a salesman's time either. But, I was Houston at the time, and I live in Georgia. He knew that from the get go. I wasn't planning for my fiance to later surprise me with a bike either. And then there's the fact that yeah, I'm sure he gets paid for his time somehow. I was the only new bike customer in the place that day, and he was just sitting around doing nothing when I came back in anyway. It's not like I took him away from another customer, or that he lost a potential sale because he was helping me. I don't see it as any different from any other person that comes in looking around, taking a salesman's time, and then buying something else. I used to be a car salesman for a while in college. Regardless of whether or not you get paid on commision, you still spend more time helping people that you don't sell to than you do the ones that actually buy from you. It's just part of the job.

It just so happens that my fiance knew I loved that bike and decided to surprise me with one for Christmas. She did the natural thing in selecting my local dealership to arrange the purchase through so they could deliver it to me.
"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 06:57 AM   #590
Cakeeater
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 807
Test rides, ftw

Whatever Harley is paying for their test-ride liability insurance, it pays off...

My story is kinda like Randy's. I went into a Harley shop for the first time to see the XR1200 a few years ago. Sat on it, thought it was interesting. Winter, so no chance to ride it.

Came back in the spring and I was immediately offered a test ride. I took it, enjoyed it. Came back later, test rode some other Harleys. Enjoyed them. I told the salesman: I'm not buying anything for months....just kicking tires. They said: No problem, try one anytime you want. No pressure, ever.

At the same time I did some looking at Honda/BMW/Yamaha/Guzzi dealers. Almost always the same line: SO YOU WANNA BUY TODAY? When I said, no, I'm not buying anything for months. I was ignored. Never once offered a test ride, even when I asked. BWM dealerships (two) were the worst. Flat out: Nope. No test rides. Most of the multi-line dealers seemed to rotate their 19 year old sales staff thru every few months.

So I rented a BMW RT for along weekend. Liked it, didn't love it.

Months after looking, I bought: New Road Glide Ultra, off the showroom floor.

It's unlikely Harley would have made the sale had they not gotten me interested. I never liked Harleys, I still chuckle at the ass-less chaps and do-rag set, but I'm sure they chuckle at me in my hi-viz yellow jacket. Love the bike btw. Nothing but oil and gas and one new rear tire in 24,000 miles.

Cakeeater
Cakeeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 07:21 AM   #591
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakeeater View Post
Whatever Harley is paying for their test-ride liability insurance, it pays off...

My story is kinda like Randy's. I went into a Harley shop for the first time to see the XR1200 a few years ago. Sat on it, thought it was interesting. Winter, so no chance to ride it.

Came back in the spring and I was immediately offered a test ride. I took it, enjoyed it. Came back later, test rode some other Harleys. Enjoyed them. I told the salesman: I'm not buying anything for months....just kicking tires. They said: No problem, try one anytime you want. No pressure, ever.

At the same time I did some looking at Honda/BMW/Yamaha/Guzzi dealers. Almost always the same line: SO YOU WANNA BUY TODAY? When I said, no, I'm not buying anything for months. I was ignored. Never once offered a test ride, even when I asked. BWM dealerships (two) were the worst. Flat out: Nope. No test rides. Most of the multi-line dealers seemed to rotate their 19 year old sales staff thru every few months.

So I rented a BMW RT for along weekend. Liked it, didn't love it.

Months after looking, I bought: New Road Glide Ultra, off the showroom floor.

It's unlikely Harley would have made the sale had they not gotten me interested. I never liked Harleys, I still chuckle at the ass-less chaps and do-rag set, but I'm sure they chuckle at me in my hi-viz yellow jacket. Love the bike btw. Nothing but oil and gas and one new rear tire in 24,000 miles.

Cakeeater
Good story. Similar to mine in a few ways. I was NEVER a Harley buyer. I just happened into that place one night because it was right behind a restaurant drive-thru that we went through to get some tea. Just a sorta, "what the hell" moment. But I saw the 48 for the first time there, and as we stood there looking at it, it started growing on me. Then over the next couple of days and nights I kept thinking about that bike, and his offer at a test ride. I'd never ridden a Harley before. When I went for that first ride, I fully expected to hate it, actually. I was very surprised to find myself enjoying it. After that, I couldn't get that bike out of my mind, and my perceptions of riding a Harley changed. If they hadn't offered that test ride I would have never bought a Harley due to my preconceptions and prejudice against them. And no, my thoughts on the "lifestyle" and pirate gear hasn't changed either...
"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 07:33 AM   #592
harfooz
FJR1300 / FLHX

Oddometer: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudk View Post

[ ... ]

Anyway, the next week I called a couple of dealers, asked for a test ride and made appointments. The Street Glide was great, too bad at 6' the BatWings/mini windscreen produced so much buzz and buffeting which ruled it out for me.

[ ... ]
I completely agree with what you say about the FLHX in stock form. Add the wind deflectors that attach to the lower edge of the batwing, and swap out the windshield for any one of the hundreds that offer a more custom fit, and you're set.

I swapped my stock FLHX windshield for a V-Stream 7.25" in dark smoke and the buffeting issue is pretty much solved. Also installed the fixed (non-adjustable) wings that attach to the lower edge of the fairing.

Helmets can affect the buffeting too.

A seat change might be in order for a taller person as well. I run the recent "low" FLHX stocker when it's just me, and the recent "low" Ultra stock seat two-up. For a really long day of riding, I'll put on the Hammock seat that came with the bike when I bought it.

'fooz
Old 08-02-2013, 07:41 AM   #593
GREGRIDES
n00b

Oddometer: 8
HD - Why Not?

Hey--none of us are getting any younger, right? Rent one, if you like the ride, buy one. You don't want to be 70, kicking yourself about never riding or owning a Harley, especially such a nice one!
GREGRIDES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 03:51 PM   #594
Deans BMW
Granpa Hoon

Oddometer: 3,062
Part of my stable,

Added this 2 months ago,

A 2013 Road King, really enjoy riding it, over 4,000 miles on it already. reminds me of a 1950's Buick/Olds/ Caddy, just made with better materials, better brakes, etc.
www.Motorcyclistcafe.com
Founder San Jose BMW
Deans BMW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 04:06 PM   #595
ikonoklass
Kountersteering Krew

Oddometer: 2,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deans BMW View Post
Part of my stable,

Added this 2 months ago,

A 2013 Road King, really enjoy riding it, over 4,000 miles on it already. reminds me of a 1950's Buick/Olds/ Caddy, just made with better materials, better brakes, etc.
That was always my impression too; i.e., it reminds me more of a classic car than some other brand of motorcycle.
ikonoklass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 04:54 PM   #596
Nitro1970
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 191
Why buy a Harley? I've been asking myself this very question for a few weeks now. I find myself in their forums, checkin em out online and the occasional drop into the dealership. I use the excuse that I'm buyin my friend a "souvenir" from that particular shop. But hey, whatever works right?

Though not ready for one yet but in a few short years I'll finally be able to get ALL my pay check instead of half. Then the Mrs and I want to travel by bike and I'm wanting something more than the Vee...

Though i don't know what all is out there but the Wing and the Ultra Classic are tops on my list when the time comes...

Something about that Harley sound... Just can't put my finger on it...

Oh we'll, I have plenty of time...if I live that long. ;)
Nitro1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 05:59 PM   #597
Tucson Jim
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 561
same thing. never had one never wanted one, now they are growing on me.

That Road King is exactly what I want.

Too many good deals out there on used ones to pop full retail on a new one though.

Did test ride a fat boy at Vegas bike week a few years back. At the time I thought it was the heaviest, ugliest and worst handling bike I had ever ridden. and it was at the time.

The only decision you have to make is what to do with the time you have been given

'07 Vulcan 1500 FI
Tucson Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 06:43 PM   #598
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Oddometer: 29,789
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro1970 View Post
Why buy a Harley? I've been asking myself this very question for a few weeks now. I find myself in their forums, checkin em out online and the occasional drop into the dealership. I use the excuse that I'm buyin my friend a "souvenir" from that particular shop. But hey, whatever works right?

Though not ready for one yet but in a few short years I'll finally be able to get ALL my pay check instead of half. Then the Mrs and I want to travel by bike and I'm wanting something more than the Vee...

Though i don't know what all is out there but the Wing and the Ultra Classic are tops on my list when the time comes...

Something about that Harley sound... Just can't put my finger on it...

Oh we'll, I have plenty of time...if I live that long. ;)
Take a look at some of the Victory touring bikes and the new Triumph Trophy as well. I LOVE the Ultra Classic, but was able to get my Victory Cross Country Tour similarly equipped for about 5K less.
Dranrab Luap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 08:29 PM   #599
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 8,899
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deans BMW View Post

Spot on. I have an '09 RK with about 40,000 miles on it and it's a fantastic touring bike when relaxing and enjoying the scenery is more important than strafing every corner.

Btw, seeing how you're in AZ, there's a guy named Jason Ward that makes a fantastic cooling fan setup. I've got them on my RK and they make a huge difference. No more EITMS kicking in when stuck in traffic and even at speed they lower engine temps significantly. Jason recently retired from the Army, has relocated to AZ and is now operating his bike business full-time. Have a poke around here. http://www.wardspartswerks.com/cooling-fans.html
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 06:20 AM   #600
Deans BMW
Granpa Hoon

Oddometer: 3,062
We moved to the Smokies in Tennessee last October and added the RK to the mix here.

Reading thru his site, http://www.wardspartswerks.com/cooling-fans.html , this guy does things correctly.
www.Motorcyclistcafe.com
Founder San Jose BMW
Deans BMW is online now   Reply With Quote