Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2013, 03:51 PM   #586
Deans BMW
Granpa Hoon

Oddometer: 3,518
Part of my stable,

Added this 2 months ago,

A 2013 Road King, really enjoy riding it, over 4,000 miles on it already. reminds me of a 1950's Buick/Olds/ Caddy, just made with better materials, better brakes, etc.
www.Motorcyclistcafe.com
Founder San Jose BMW
Deans BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 04:06 PM   #587
ikonoklass
Kountersteering Krew

Oddometer: 2,602
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deans BMW View Post
Part of my stable,

Added this 2 months ago,

A 2013 Road King, really enjoy riding it, over 4,000 miles on it already. reminds me of a 1950's Buick/Olds/ Caddy, just made with better materials, better brakes, etc.
That was always my impression too; i.e., it reminds me more of a classic car than some other brand of motorcycle.
ikonoklass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 04:54 PM   #588
Nitro1970
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 191
Why buy a Harley? I've been asking myself this very question for a few weeks now. I find myself in their forums, checkin em out online and the occasional drop into the dealership. I use the excuse that I'm buyin my friend a "souvenir" from that particular shop. But hey, whatever works right?

Though not ready for one yet but in a few short years I'll finally be able to get ALL my pay check instead of half. Then the Mrs and I want to travel by bike and I'm wanting something more than the Vee...

Though i don't know what all is out there but the Wing and the Ultra Classic are tops on my list when the time comes...

Something about that Harley sound... Just can't put my finger on it...

Oh we'll, I have plenty of time...if I live that long. ;)
Nitro1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 05:59 PM   #589
Tucson Jim
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 561
same thing. never had one never wanted one, now they are growing on me.

That Road King is exactly what I want.

Too many good deals out there on used ones to pop full retail on a new one though.

Did test ride a fat boy at Vegas bike week a few years back. At the time I thought it was the heaviest, ugliest and worst handling bike I had ever ridden. and it was at the time.

The only decision you have to make is what to do with the time you have been given

'07 Vulcan 1500 FI
Tucson Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 06:43 PM   #590
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Oddometer: 31,852
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro1970 View Post
Why buy a Harley? I've been asking myself this very question for a few weeks now. I find myself in their forums, checkin em out online and the occasional drop into the dealership. I use the excuse that I'm buyin my friend a "souvenir" from that particular shop. But hey, whatever works right?

Though not ready for one yet but in a few short years I'll finally be able to get ALL my pay check instead of half. Then the Mrs and I want to travel by bike and I'm wanting something more than the Vee...

Though i don't know what all is out there but the Wing and the Ultra Classic are tops on my list when the time comes...

Something about that Harley sound... Just can't put my finger on it...

Oh we'll, I have plenty of time...if I live that long. ;)
Take a look at some of the Victory touring bikes and the new Triumph Trophy as well. I LOVE the Ultra Classic, but was able to get my Victory Cross Country Tour similarly equipped for about 5K less.
Dranrab Luap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 08:29 PM   #591
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,468
Quote:

Spot on. I have an '09 RK with about 40,000 miles on it and it's a fantastic touring bike when relaxing and enjoying the scenery is more important than strafing every corner.

Btw, seeing how you're in AZ, there's a guy named Jason Ward that makes a fantastic cooling fan setup. I've got them on my RK and they make a huge difference. No more EITMS kicking in when stuck in traffic and even at speed they lower engine temps significantly. Jason recently retired from the Army, has relocated to AZ and is now operating his bike business full-time. Have a poke around here. http://www.wardspartswerks.com/cooling-fans.html
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 06:20 AM   #592
Deans BMW
Granpa Hoon

We moved to the Smokies in Tennessee last October and added the RK to the mix here.

Reading thru his site, http://www.wardspartswerks.com/cooling-fans.html , this guy does things correctly.
www.Motorcyclistcafe.com
Founder San Jose BMW
Old 08-03-2013, 06:35 AM   #593
twinrider
pass the catnip

Quote:
We moved to the Smokies in Tennessee last October and added the RK to the mix here.

Reading thru his site, http://www.wardspartswerks.com/cooling-fans.html , this guy does things correctly.
Yup I'm amazed at what a huge difference these fans make living in Tokyo with frequent traffic jams and just keeping the engine heat down in general. Can't wait to see what else he comes up with.

Another top mod on my bike is the HD Sunray heated seat. Iron Butt level comfort. Wish I could find a seat that good for my Super Tenere....
Old 08-03-2013, 07:09 AM   #594
rudk
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by harfooz View Post
I completely agree with what you say about the FLHX in stock form. Add the wind deflectors that attach to the lower edge of the batwing, and swap out the windshield for any one of the hundreds that offer a more custom fit, and you're set.

I swapped my stock FLHX windshield for a V-Stream 7.25" in dark smoke and the buffeting issue is pretty much solved. Also installed the fixed (non-adjustable) wings that attach to the lower edge of the fairing.

Helmets can affect the buffeting too.

A seat change might be in order for a taller person as well. I run the recent "low" FLHX stocker when it's just me, and the recent "low" Ultra stock seat two-up. For a really long day of riding, I'll put on the Hammock seat that came with the bike when I bought it.

'fooz
Thanks for the tip. Do you mean these:

http://www.nationalcycle.com/catalog...ream_FLH.shtml

Of course coming from sportbikes and supermotos I'd have to check out some options and invest more time if I'll do a move like this. On the other hand, I think the stock mini windshield of the Street Glide just looks cool 'as is', it's just too bad you get the buffeting.
rudk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 07:27 AM   #595
Nitro1970
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 191
Can some sort of oil cooler be fitted on a Harley or would it even matter?
Nitro1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 07:29 AM   #596
Deans BMW
Granpa Hoon

Quote:
Study this guys link, he does proper research, unlike most in the aftermarket business.

http://www.wardspartswerks.com/cooling-fans.html
www.Motorcyclistcafe.com
Founder San Jose BMW
Old 08-03-2013, 08:20 AM   #597
twinrider
pass the catnip

Quote:
Oil coolers are a common addition. I live where I have to deal with a lot of traffic jams and stop and go traffic. The oil cooler I added didn't seem to make a big difference. What really helped were the cooling fans I bought (link in the post above). The same guy also sells a thermostat that makes the OEM oil cooler more effective by opening it at a lower temperature.
Old 08-03-2013, 06:14 PM   #598
robcig
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
I have one on my 2011 Road King. This, with the stage one upgrade and reflashing of the ECU made a significant difference to engine heat.
robcig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 06:34 PM   #599
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by robcig View Post
I have one on my 2011 Road King. This, with the stage one upgrade and reflashing of the ECU made a significant difference to engine heat.
I'm curious about that. When you say "reflashing the ECU", exactly what was done to your bike? Was some sort of tuner used, or was it just a canned HD map? In either case, do you have any quantitative numbers as to how much it lowered the cylinder head temps, or is it just more of a seat of the pants feel that you have lower temps radiating from the engine?

I'm not having any real issues on my Sporty, but just for the sake of peace of mind, I wouldn't mind bringing the head temps down some. Right now I just have some slip-ons, and the bike is running great! But I also have a NRHS A/F that I would like to install in the future (basically "stage one" mods) and I'm looking into options for how I want to address the fueling to accommodate.
"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 06:58 PM   #600
robcig
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post
I'm curious about that. When you say "reflashing the ECU", exactly what was done to your bike? Was some sort of tuner used, or was it just a canned HD map? In either case, do you have any quantitative numbers as to how much it lowered the cylinder head temps, or is it just more of a seat of the pants feel that you have lower temps radiating from the engine?

I'm not having any real issues on my Sporty, but just for the sake of peace of mind, I wouldn't mind bringing the head temps down some. Right now I just have some slip-ons, and the bike is running great! But I also have a NRHS A/F that I would like to install in the future (basically "stage one" mods) and I'm looking into options for how I want to address the fueling to accommodate.
Randy, I invested some hard earned in a Power Vision tuner. Fuel Moto loaded a tune/map to suit the modifications on my bike, i.e Ness Big Sucker air filter, V&H Monster Rounds. I plugged the Power Vision into my bikes ECU, pressed a couple of buttons and hey presto...made a big difference. Well worth it me thinks..
robcig is offline   Reply With Quote