ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-03-2013, 07:32 PM   #601
twinrider
pass the catnip
 
twinrider's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: 日本
Oddometer: 9,404
The HDs are set up from the factory to meet strict EPA regs so even if you do a Stage 1 tune (exhaust and air cleaner) they definitely benefit from an FI tuner. I tried a PCV at first, but none of Fuel Moto's canned maps worked well for me in Japan (maybe due to different fuel or ECU differences on my J-market bike). So I went with a TTS Mastertune that my HD mechanic could dial in using HD's diagnostic computer. The bike runs great now with none of the pinging I got using FM's canned maps. Not dissing FM as their maps work great for some people, just stating my experience.
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 07:50 PM   #602
Randy
Beastly Adventurer
 
Randy's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2002
Location: Newnan, GA USA
Oddometer: 2,354
Yeah, I've read quite a bit about the different tuning options and it seems that the PV gets the most votes by a fair margin. My bike's just running so good right now that I'm not sure I want to spend $500 on a tuner. If doing cams and head work then there's no doubt it would be a worthwhile investment, but I really don't plan for anything major. I may leave well enough alone and just ride it.
__________________
"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 08:52 PM   #603
twinrider
pass the catnip
 
twinrider's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: 日本
Oddometer: 9,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post
Yeah, I've read quite a bit about the different tuning options and it seems that the PV gets the most votes by a fair margin. My bike's just running so good right now that I'm not sure I want to spend $500 on a tuner. If doing cams and head work then there's no doubt it would be a worthwhile investment, but I really don't plan for anything major. I may leave well enough alone and just ride it.
I think the best tuner is the one that has good local support. Like I said, I tried a number of FM maps and none worked for me here in Japan. Lots of pinging. The TTS Tuner was dialed in locally and works great. It's also nice not having a piggyback tuner that spoofs the signals. The TTS lets you actually change the mapping in the OEM ECU.

I changed the cams to 255s, stump-pulling torque from the get-go and they don't run out of steam like some people report.
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 11:19 PM   #604
Randy
Beastly Adventurer
 
Randy's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2002
Location: Newnan, GA USA
Oddometer: 2,354
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
I think the best tuner is the one that has good local support. Like I said, I tried a number of FM maps and none worked for me here in Japan. Lots of pinging. The TTS Tuner was dialed in locally and works great. It's also nice not having a piggyback tuner that spoofs the signals. The TTS lets you actually change the mapping in the OEM ECU.

I changed the cams to 255s, stump-pulling torque from the get-go and they don't run out of steam like some people report.
I think your problem may have been the PCV. I've read a mixed bag of results with them as well. The newer Power Vision is not a piggyback system. From what I understand, it has a lot of functionality that allows you to fine tune the base maps. And then it allows you to reflash your ECU with a new map. EIther one provided, or one that you, or someone else, tweaks to suit your needs. Similar in function to the TTS, only supposedly better.

I've been debating about this for a while now. But, honestly, I like the way my bike's running now, so I'm hesitant to screw with it. Maybe, one day, when and if I get bored, want to chase more power, and have extra cash burning a hole in my pocket, I'll decide to tinker. I think, just as an experiment, I'll install the NRHS A/F next weekend and just see what happens with the head temps, and how it runs. If I don't like it I'll just put the stock filter back and leave well enough alone and continue riding it like I stole it.
__________________
"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 11:48 PM   #605
robcig
Gnarly Adventurer
 
robcig's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Sydney, Australia
Oddometer: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post
I think your problem may have been the PCV. I've read a mixed bag of results with them as well. The newer Power Vision is not a piggyback system. From what I understand, it has a lot of functionality that allows you to fine tune the base maps. And then it allows you to reflash your ECU with a new map. EIther one provided, or one that you, or someone else, tweaks to suit your needs. Similar in function to the TTS, only supposedly better.

I've been debating about this for a while now. But, honestly, I like the way my bike's running now, so I'm hesitant to screw with it. Maybe, one day, when and if I get bored, want to chase more power, and have extra cash burning a hole in my pocket, I'll decide to tinker. I think, just as an experiment, I'll install the NRHS A/F next weekend and just see what happens with the head temps, and how it runs. If I don't like it I'll just put the stock filter back and leave well enough alone and continue riding it like I stole it.
Man, that sounds so familiar. I've only had my bike six months and am chasing more power. I've done the stage one and it has improved somewhat. I've purchased aftermarket cams, but will wait a while....
robcig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 04:48 AM   #606
blk-betty
bam-a-lam
 
blk-betty's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Charleston, SC
Oddometer: 2,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro1970 View Post
Can some sort of oil cooler be fitted on a Harley or would it even matter?
Yes, yes, and all the 103" bikes (standard on 2012 and later) come from the factory with an oil cooler.

Put one on my '02 Softail after engine build, it was a HD oil cooler kit but aftermarket units are also available. On a stock 88" not needed but that bike was punched out to 95" with cams, headwork and added compression. Had manual compression releases for easy starting and made 108 hp/ 104 tq at the rear wheel. The oil cooler dropped oil temps about 25-30 degrees.
__________________
Any day on a dirt road is a great day
blk-betty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 06:08 AM   #607
Bloodweiser
honestly
 
Bloodweiser's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: way over yonder in the minor key
Oddometer: 2,617
^
'12 dyna's don't have 'em.
Least my switchy doesn't.
Bloodweiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 06:35 AM   #608
UnsureFooting
Title of User Here
 
UnsureFooting's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: DFW, Texas
Oddometer: 6,350
Why buy a Harley? Cause they're awesome... But did you see the new Indians?
__________________
Because so much is riding on your tires.
UnsureFooting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 06:40 AM   #609
Foot dragger
singletracker
 
Foot dragger's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: chico,just below rag dump(nor-cal)
Oddometer: 12,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnsureFooting View Post
Why buy a Harley? Cause they're awesome... But did you see the new Indians?
I was just gonna say that,the Indians are looking really nice! Im not a cruiser guy but they have nailed it pretty well.

That goofy TV show,American Pickers,is going to do a show about the Indians tomorrow,(Monday) night.

Polaris is taking a bit of a gamble,but if they work as good as they look,or even better,Harley will finally have some competition they cant get politicians to put a new tariff on.
__________________
Some bikes around at times
Foot dragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 08:54 AM   #610
twinrider
pass the catnip
 
twinrider's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: 日本
Oddometer: 9,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post
I think your problem may have been the PCV. I've read a mixed bag of results with them as well. The newer Power Vision is not a piggyback system. From what I understand, it has a lot of functionality that allows you to fine tune the base maps. And then it allows you to reflash your ECU with a new map. EIther one provided, or one that you, or someone else, tweaks to suit your needs. Similar in function to the TTS, only supposedly better.

I've been debating about this for a while now. But, honestly, I like the way my bike's running now, so I'm hesitant to screw with it. Maybe, one day, when and if I get bored, want to chase more power, and have extra cash burning a hole in my pocket, I'll decide to tinker. I think, just as an experiment, I'll install the NRHS A/F next weekend and just see what happens with the head temps, and how it runs. If I don't like it I'll just put the stock filter back and leave well enough alone and continue riding it like I stole it.
If you hang out long enough on HD forums you will see that many people are happy with their PCVs in the States, but they all have someone that can personally dial them in or the maps that Fuel Moto developed work fine for them (US bikes, US fuel). That's why I think local support rather than the particular brand is most critical. I've done the SE Stage II 103 kit (SE pistons, 255 cams, A/C), the bike runs great, pulling with authority even in 6th gear,loaded up with a passenger and luggage. Considering the type of bike it is, for me to chase more power than this would just be tossing money away.

That said, the 120 motor would be kind of cool.
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 12:12 PM   #611
UnsureFooting
Title of User Here
 
UnsureFooting's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: DFW, Texas
Oddometer: 6,350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
I was just gonna say that,the Indians are looking really nice! Im not a cruiser guy but they have nailed it pretty well.

That goofy TV show,American Pickers,is going to do a show about the Indians tomorrow,(Monday) night.

Polaris is taking a bit of a gamble,but if they work as good as they look,or even better,Harley will finally have some competition they cant get politicians to put a new tariff on.
And the prices are competitive with the Harleys....

I may have to rethink my future purchase...
__________________
Because so much is riding on your tires.
UnsureFooting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 01:55 PM   #612
blk-betty
bam-a-lam
 
blk-betty's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Charleston, SC
Oddometer: 2,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodweiser View Post
^
'12 dyna's don't have 'em.
Least my switchy doesn't.
My mistake, you are correct. They come stock on only the touring bikes.

They are available from HD for the other Twin-Cam bikes.
__________________
Any day on a dirt road is a great day
blk-betty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 09:57 PM   #613
Krasniewski
I don't ride much.
 
Krasniewski's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: LA - Lower Alabama
Oddometer: 1,257
Went to the local HD dealer the other day. I usually loathe dealerships and order stuff online, but I'm new to the HD thing and wanted to see how the dealer was. Also, the parts were cheap and not worth shipping.

I walked in, didn't get harassed, didn't get judged (overtly). Went to the parts counter (which was easy to find, despite the massive, near WalMart size of the dealership) and got my parts. Oil filter, drain plug o-ring, and a neutral sensor for 25 bucks, and the parts were in stock, and they weren't pricks about it. Sidebar: the dealer has a tat shop inside...

When my K12S took a shit on the I-5 "near" Modesto, I was walking around while the dealer was replacing my fuel pump (to the tune of over $700). I wandered into a HD dealer after having been ignored at the BMW dealer long enough. There I sat on a bike, and all that was said to me was "Hey, want me to get the keys so you can take'r for a spin?" I feel like the people at the dealerships get it.

I'd love to see how many Kawasaki dealers have a neutral sensor in stock for a KLR. I can't even find a local dealer that stocks a clutch cable for a bike that has a bajillion (my estimate) units out on the road.

Anyway - why ride a Harley? Good dealer network with shops that actually stock parts.
Krasniewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 02:55 AM   #614
2tallnwide
Beastly Adventurer
 
2tallnwide's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: Nature Coast, Florida
Oddometer: 2,505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krasniewski View Post
I'd love to see how many Kawasaki dealers have a neutral sensor in stock for a KLR. I can't even find a local dealer that stocks a clutch cable for a bike that has a bajillion (my estimate) units out on the road.

Anyway - why ride a Harley? Good dealer network with shops that actually stock parts.
That's all fine and dandy, unless you want a KLR650 type of motorcycle, or a dirt bike, sport bike, adventure touring bike, sport touring bike, scooter, etc, or simply a motor configuration other than a Vtwin. Sad actually.
__________________
If you're gonna dish it out make sure it tastes good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBkh6lrOfT4

2tallnwide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 06:23 AM   #615
UnsureFooting
Title of User Here
 
UnsureFooting's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: DFW, Texas
Oddometer: 6,350
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2tallnwide View Post
That's all fine and dandy, unless you want a KLR650 type of motorcycle, or a dirt bike, sport bike, adventure touring bike, sport touring bike, scooter, etc, or simply a motor configuration other than a Vtwin. Sad actually.
Yes, it's sad that other manufacturers don't offer that level of support. It's also sad that people keep whining about Harley only offering v-twin cruisers.
__________________
Because so much is riding on your tires.
UnsureFooting is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015