Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-2013, 06:35 AM   #601
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 8,903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deans BMW View Post
We moved to the Smokies in Tennessee last October and added the RK to the mix here.

Reading thru his site, http://www.wardspartswerks.com/cooling-fans.html , this guy does things correctly.
Yup I'm amazed at what a huge difference these fans make living in Tokyo with frequent traffic jams and just keeping the engine heat down in general. Can't wait to see what else he comes up with.

Another top mod on my bike is the HD Sunray heated seat. Iron Butt level comfort. Wish I could find a seat that good for my Super Tenere....
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 07:09 AM   #602
rudk
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by harfooz View Post
I completely agree with what you say about the FLHX in stock form. Add the wind deflectors that attach to the lower edge of the batwing, and swap out the windshield for any one of the hundreds that offer a more custom fit, and you're set.

I swapped my stock FLHX windshield for a V-Stream 7.25" in dark smoke and the buffeting issue is pretty much solved. Also installed the fixed (non-adjustable) wings that attach to the lower edge of the fairing.

Helmets can affect the buffeting too.

A seat change might be in order for a taller person as well. I run the recent "low" FLHX stocker when it's just me, and the recent "low" Ultra stock seat two-up. For a really long day of riding, I'll put on the Hammock seat that came with the bike when I bought it.

'fooz
Thanks for the tip. Do you mean these:

http://www.nationalcycle.com/catalog...ream_FLH.shtml

Of course coming from sportbikes and supermotos I'd have to check out some options and invest more time if I'll do a move like this. On the other hand, I think the stock mini windshield of the Street Glide just looks cool 'as is', it's just too bad you get the buffeting.
rudk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 07:27 AM   #603
Nitro1970
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 191
Can some sort of oil cooler be fitted on a Harley or would it even matter?
Nitro1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 07:29 AM   #604
Deans BMW
Granpa Hoon

Oddometer: 3,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro1970 View Post
Study this guys link, he does proper research, unlike most in the aftermarket business.

http://www.wardspartswerks.com/cooling-fans.html
www.Motorcyclistcafe.com
Founder San Jose BMW
Deans BMW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 08:20 AM   #605
twinrider
pass the catnip

Quote:
Oil coolers are a common addition. I live where I have to deal with a lot of traffic jams and stop and go traffic. The oil cooler I added didn't seem to make a big difference. What really helped were the cooling fans I bought (link in the post above). The same guy also sells a thermostat that makes the OEM oil cooler more effective by opening it at a lower temperature.
Old 08-03-2013, 06:14 PM   #606
robcig
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
I have one on my 2011 Road King. This, with the stage one upgrade and reflashing of the ECU made a significant difference to engine heat.
robcig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 06:34 PM   #607
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by robcig View Post
I have one on my 2011 Road King. This, with the stage one upgrade and reflashing of the ECU made a significant difference to engine heat.
I'm curious about that. When you say "reflashing the ECU", exactly what was done to your bike? Was some sort of tuner used, or was it just a canned HD map? In either case, do you have any quantitative numbers as to how much it lowered the cylinder head temps, or is it just more of a seat of the pants feel that you have lower temps radiating from the engine?

I'm not having any real issues on my Sporty, but just for the sake of peace of mind, I wouldn't mind bringing the head temps down some. Right now I just have some slip-ons, and the bike is running great! But I also have a NRHS A/F that I would like to install in the future (basically "stage one" mods) and I'm looking into options for how I want to address the fueling to accommodate.
"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 06:58 PM   #608
robcig
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post
I'm curious about that. When you say "reflashing the ECU", exactly what was done to your bike? Was some sort of tuner used, or was it just a canned HD map? In either case, do you have any quantitative numbers as to how much it lowered the cylinder head temps, or is it just more of a seat of the pants feel that you have lower temps radiating from the engine?

I'm not having any real issues on my Sporty, but just for the sake of peace of mind, I wouldn't mind bringing the head temps down some. Right now I just have some slip-ons, and the bike is running great! But I also have a NRHS A/F that I would like to install in the future (basically "stage one" mods) and I'm looking into options for how I want to address the fueling to accommodate.
Randy, I invested some hard earned in a Power Vision tuner. Fuel Moto loaded a tune/map to suit the modifications on my bike, i.e Ness Big Sucker air filter, V&H Monster Rounds. I plugged the Power Vision into my bikes ECU, pressed a couple of buttons and hey presto...made a big difference. Well worth it me thinks..
Old 08-03-2013, 07:32 PM   #609
twinrider
pass the catnip

The HDs are set up from the factory to meet strict EPA regs so even if you do a Stage 1 tune (exhaust and air cleaner) they definitely benefit from an FI tuner. I tried a PCV at first, but none of Fuel Moto's canned maps worked well for me in Japan (maybe due to different fuel or ECU differences on my J-market bike). So I went with a TTS Mastertune that my HD mechanic could dial in using HD's diagnostic computer. The bike runs great now with none of the pinging I got using FM's canned maps. Not dissing FM as their maps work great for some people, just stating my experience.
Old 08-03-2013, 07:50 PM   #610
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Yeah, I've read quite a bit about the different tuning options and it seems that the PV gets the most votes by a fair margin. My bike's just running so good right now that I'm not sure I want to spend $500 on a tuner. If doing cams and head work then there's no doubt it would be a worthwhile investment, but I really don't plan for anything major. I may leave well enough alone and just ride it.
"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Old 08-03-2013, 08:52 PM   #611
twinrider
pass the catnip

Quote:
Yeah, I've read quite a bit about the different tuning options and it seems that the PV gets the most votes by a fair margin. My bike's just running so good right now that I'm not sure I want to spend $500 on a tuner. If doing cams and head work then there's no doubt it would be a worthwhile investment, but I really don't plan for anything major. I may leave well enough alone and just ride it.
I think the best tuner is the one that has good local support. Like I said, I tried a number of FM maps and none worked for me here in Japan. Lots of pinging. The TTS Tuner was dialed in locally and works great. It's also nice not having a piggyback tuner that spoofs the signals. The TTS lets you actually change the mapping in the OEM ECU.

I changed the cams to 255s, stump-pulling torque from the get-go and they don't run out of steam like some people report.
Old 08-03-2013, 11:19 PM   #612
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
I think the best tuner is the one that has good local support. Like I said, I tried a number of FM maps and none worked for me here in Japan. Lots of pinging. The TTS Tuner was dialed in locally and works great. It's also nice not having a piggyback tuner that spoofs the signals. The TTS lets you actually change the mapping in the OEM ECU.

I changed the cams to 255s, stump-pulling torque from the get-go and they don't run out of steam like some people report.
I think your problem may have been the PCV. I've read a mixed bag of results with them as well. The newer Power Vision is not a piggyback system. From what I understand, it has a lot of functionality that allows you to fine tune the base maps. And then it allows you to reflash your ECU with a new map. EIther one provided, or one that you, or someone else, tweaks to suit your needs. Similar in function to the TTS, only supposedly better.

I've been debating about this for a while now. But, honestly, I like the way my bike's running now, so I'm hesitant to screw with it. Maybe, one day, when and if I get bored, want to chase more power, and have extra cash burning a hole in my pocket, I'll decide to tinker. I think, just as an experiment, I'll install the NRHS A/F next weekend and just see what happens with the head temps, and how it runs. If I don't like it I'll just put the stock filter back and leave well enough alone and continue riding it like I stole it.
Old 08-03-2013, 11:48 PM   #613
robcig
Adventurer

Quote:
I think your problem may have been the PCV. I've read a mixed bag of results with them as well. The newer Power Vision is not a piggyback system. From what I understand, it has a lot of functionality that allows you to fine tune the base maps. And then it allows you to reflash your ECU with a new map. EIther one provided, or one that you, or someone else, tweaks to suit your needs. Similar in function to the TTS, only supposedly better.

I've been debating about this for a while now. But, honestly, I like the way my bike's running now, so I'm hesitant to screw with it. Maybe, one day, when and if I get bored, want to chase more power, and have extra cash burning a hole in my pocket, I'll decide to tinker. I think, just as an experiment, I'll install the NRHS A/F next weekend and just see what happens with the head temps, and how it runs. If I don't like it I'll just put the stock filter back and leave well enough alone and continue riding it like I stole it.
Man, that sounds so familiar. I've only had my bike six months and am chasing more power. I've done the stage one and it has improved somewhat. I've purchased aftermarket cams, but will wait a while....
Old 08-04-2013, 04:48 AM   #614
blk-betty
bam-a-lam

Oddometer: 2,250
Quote:
Yes, yes, and all the 103" bikes (standard on 2012 and later) come from the factory with an oil cooler.

Put one on my '02 Softail after engine build, it was a HD oil cooler kit but aftermarket units are also available. On a stock 88" not needed but that bike was punched out to 95" with cams, headwork and added compression. Had manual compression releases for easy starting and made 108 hp/ 104 tq at the rear wheel. The oil cooler dropped oil temps about 25-30 degrees.
Old 08-04-2013, 06:08 AM   #615
Bloodweiser
honestly

Oddometer: 2,541
^
'12 dyna's don't have 'em.
Least my switchy doesn't.
Bloodweiser is offline   Reply With Quote