Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-04-2013, 06:35 AM   #616
UnsureFooting
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,227
Why buy a Harley? Cause they're awesome... But did you see the new Indians?
UnsureFooting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 06:40 AM   #617
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,624
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnsureFooting View Post
Why buy a Harley? Cause they're awesome... But did you see the new Indians?
I was just gonna say that,the Indians are looking really nice! Im not a cruiser guy but they have nailed it pretty well.

That goofy TV show,American Pickers,is going to do a show about the Indians tomorrow,(Monday) night.

Polaris is taking a bit of a gamble,but if they work as good as they look,or even better,Harley will finally have some competition they cant get politicians to put a new tariff on.
Old 08-04-2013, 08:54 AM   #618
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 8,971
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post
I think your problem may have been the PCV. I've read a mixed bag of results with them as well. The newer Power Vision is not a piggyback system. From what I understand, it has a lot of functionality that allows you to fine tune the base maps. And then it allows you to reflash your ECU with a new map. EIther one provided, or one that you, or someone else, tweaks to suit your needs. Similar in function to the TTS, only supposedly better.

I've been debating about this for a while now. But, honestly, I like the way my bike's running now, so I'm hesitant to screw with it. Maybe, one day, when and if I get bored, want to chase more power, and have extra cash burning a hole in my pocket, I'll decide to tinker. I think, just as an experiment, I'll install the NRHS A/F next weekend and just see what happens with the head temps, and how it runs. If I don't like it I'll just put the stock filter back and leave well enough alone and continue riding it like I stole it.
If you hang out long enough on HD forums you will see that many people are happy with their PCVs in the States, but they all have someone that can personally dial them in or the maps that Fuel Moto developed work fine for them (US bikes, US fuel). That's why I think local support rather than the particular brand is most critical. I've done the SE Stage II 103 kit (SE pistons, 255 cams, A/C), the bike runs great, pulling with authority even in 6th gear,loaded up with a passenger and luggage. Considering the type of bike it is, for me to chase more power than this would just be tossing money away.

That said, the 120 motor would be kind of cool.
twinrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 12:12 PM   #619
UnsureFooting
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
I was just gonna say that,the Indians are looking really nice! Im not a cruiser guy but they have nailed it pretty well.

That goofy TV show,American Pickers,is going to do a show about the Indians tomorrow,(Monday) night.

Polaris is taking a bit of a gamble,but if they work as good as they look,or even better,Harley will finally have some competition they cant get politicians to put a new tariff on.
And the prices are competitive with the Harleys....

I may have to rethink my future purchase...
Old 08-04-2013, 01:55 PM   #620
blk-betty
bam-a-lam

Oddometer: 2,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodweiser View Post
^
'12 dyna's don't have 'em.
Least my switchy doesn't.
My mistake, you are correct. They come stock on only the touring bikes.

They are available from HD for the other Twin-Cam bikes.
Old 08-04-2013, 09:57 PM   #621
Krasniewski
I don't ride much.

Oddometer: 1,101
Went to the local HD dealer the other day. I usually loathe dealerships and order stuff online, but I'm new to the HD thing and wanted to see how the dealer was. Also, the parts were cheap and not worth shipping.

I walked in, didn't get harassed, didn't get judged (overtly). Went to the parts counter (which was easy to find, despite the massive, near WalMart size of the dealership) and got my parts. Oil filter, drain plug o-ring, and a neutral sensor for 25 bucks, and the parts were in stock, and they weren't pricks about it. Sidebar: the dealer has a tat shop inside...

When my K12S took a shit on the I-5 "near" Modesto, I was walking around while the dealer was replacing my fuel pump (to the tune of over $700). I wandered into a HD dealer after having been ignored at the BMW dealer long enough. There I sat on a bike, and all that was said to me was "Hey, want me to get the keys so you can take'r for a spin?" I feel like the people at the dealerships get it.

I'd love to see how many Kawasaki dealers have a neutral sensor in stock for a KLR. I can't even find a local dealer that stocks a clutch cable for a bike that has a bajillion (my estimate) units out on the road.

Anyway - why ride a Harley? Good dealer network with shops that actually stock parts.
Krasniewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 02:55 AM   #622
2tallnwide
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krasniewski View Post
I'd love to see how many Kawasaki dealers have a neutral sensor in stock for a KLR. I can't even find a local dealer that stocks a clutch cable for a bike that has a bajillion (my estimate) units out on the road.

Anyway - why ride a Harley? Good dealer network with shops that actually stock parts.
That's all fine and dandy, unless you want a KLR650 type of motorcycle, or a dirt bike, sport bike, adventure touring bike, sport touring bike, scooter, etc, or simply a motor configuration other than a Vtwin. Sad actually.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBkh6lrOfT4

2tallnwide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 06:23 AM   #623
UnsureFooting
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2tallnwide View Post
That's all fine and dandy, unless you want a KLR650 type of motorcycle, or a dirt bike, sport bike, adventure touring bike, sport touring bike, scooter, etc, or simply a motor configuration other than a Vtwin. Sad actually.
Yes, it's sad that other manufacturers don't offer that level of support. It's also sad that people keep whining about Harley only offering v-twin cruisers.
Old 08-05-2013, 07:41 AM   #624
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,251
Take a look around out on the road. I don't know about where you live and ride, but where I am, the vast majority of bikes I see are cruisers. For whatever reason, for better or worse, they seem to be what most people want and buy. HD is first and foremost a business, and a business's first order of business is to make money. They may only sell v-twin cruisers, but you can't argue with their market share. At this point in the game, why would Harley want to invest millions in developing bikes to compete with so many other manufacturer's offerings in segments that don't offer near as much reward as the one they already dominate. Adventure tourers? How large is that segment, and how many players are already offering very competent bikes for those customers? Sport bikes? Look at what's already out there. What would it cost in time, money and resources to go head to head with the best of Japan and Europe? Even if they could build a world class sport bike, how long would it take to establish themselves as a real player in the game, and how many bikes would they have to sell to make back the money spent?

If you want something else then fine, there's more than one other manufacturer that make and sell all those other types of bikes. Go buy one of those and stop whining about Harley not offering the other models that just don't sell as well as the ones they do offer.

Until recently I wasn't a cruiser rider either and actually had disdain for HD and cruisers in general. But even then, I still saw what I saw out on the road, even though I didn't understand why. They really do have some smart people working in their marketing dept. And, I still never really questioned the MoCo for building and selling what they did. And now, after having my Sporty for a few months I find that I enjoy riding it more than my other bikes for some odd reason. So, I guess my tastes have changed and I'm starting to get it just a little.

Just scheduled my first service appointment for next Saturday morning. I've never had any dealings with my local shop since my wife bought the bike for me and had it delivered as a surprise. Never even been in the place before, but I guess I'll see how it goes next weekend. After the first service I'll be doing everything myself from then on, like with all my other bikes. At least, normal maintenance things. But I am curious to see what the service is like there just in case I ever need it for something that I don't want to tackle myself.

My only other real experience with a HD dealer was at the one that I rode my first Harley. Pretty much the same experience as Krasniewski. No pressure at all, just a casual offer of a test ride. In over 30 years of motorcycling that was a first for me actually. It worked too. I never even wanted a Harley, until I rode one. If I hadn't had that test ride I'd still be thinking what I thought before I actually rode one... That I'd hate it. A few minutes into that ride though I discovered I didn't hate it. And a few minutes further along I realized that I actually sorta liked it.

In the automotive world the test drive is a huge part of the sales tactic. Most places practically beg you to drive their car because they know that putting you behind the wheel is the first step to you mentally owning it. Simple marketing really. Surprising that the motorcycle industry at large never grasped that concept and expect people to make a major purchasing decision based solely on magazine test reports. That may be changing slowly now, but I remember a time not so long ago, that getting a test ride on a bike was damn near impossible. And I know for me it's much easier to get excited about something once I've actually had a taste. Would you buy an HD TV without seeing the picture first? And I still don't think that I've ever had a salesman just up and offer me a test ride anywhere other than at a HD dealership.
"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 10:40 AM   #625
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Oddometer: 29,865
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2tallnwide View Post
Sad that they are narrowly focused and do a tremendous job within that relatively narrow focus?
Dranrab Luap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 11:35 AM   #626
davevv
One more old rider

Oddometer: 2,320
What I get from this type of comment is that no matter how much these folks deride H-D, they still want to buy a motorcycle that says Harley-Davidson on the nameplate. Otherwise, they would just go buy their KLR, dirtbike, sport tourer, etc., and not bother complaining that they couldn't get one from Harley. I never hear anyone complain that Boeing doesn't make a small Cessna type aircraft, or that Apple doesn't make an android powered Iphone. But there are innumerable posts on this board of people complaining that Harley doesn't make the type of bike they want to buy, even though plenty of other companies do. The only reasonable conclusion is that, in spite of all the anti H-D posturing, they'd really rather buy a Harley. Either that, or they just want to join the crowd and bitch about the MoCo.

davevv screwed with this post 08-05-2013 at 11:46 AM
davevv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 11:41 AM   #627
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by davevv View Post
What I get from this type of comment is that no matter how much these folks deride H-D, they still want to buy a motorcycle that says Harley-Davidson on the nameplate. Otherwise, they would just go buy their KLR, dirtbike, sport tourer, etc., and not bother complaining that they couldn't get one from Harley.
Never thought of it quite that way before, but yeah, that does make sense. I know that when I had no interest in anything Harley made, I never gave it a second thought that they didn't make what I wanted. I just bought what I did want.
"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Old 08-05-2013, 12:41 PM   #628
1/2 Brit
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 210
[QUOTE=UnsureFooting;22024341] "Why buy a Harley? Cause they're awesome... But did you see the new Indians?"

I went to the website after the reveal to look up the closest dealer to me.....SERIOUSLY!!! Only 3 within 300 miles of me!!!

Indian has a ways to go to be competitive with H-D.
1/2 Brit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 01:13 PM   #629
UnsureFooting
Beastly Adventurer

[QUOTE=1/2 Brit;22033382]
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnsureFooting View Post
"Why buy a Harley? Cause they're awesome... But did you see the new Indians?"

I went to the website after the reveal to look up the closest dealer to me.....SERIOUSLY!!! Only 3 within 300 miles of me!!!

Indian has a ways to go to be competitive with H-D.
Better than me, though. The CLOSEST dealer to me is 314 miles away... And I live in Dallas!
Old 08-05-2013, 01:21 PM   #630
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Well, while that's not a good thing, and would certainly impact my buying decision, if I were even in the market for a bike of this type, we really do need to keep this in perspective. The bike WAS just revealed this past weekend, and I'm sure a lot of potential dealers were skeptical of the previous Indian debacles and were waiting to at least see a finished product, and sorta get the feel for customer reactions, before signing on to support the name.

I doubt they'll ever have the dealer network of HD since I doubt they'll ever have the market share to support such a vast network, but I would think that the situation will start to improve now that the bike has actually hit the market. And then, when and if they actually start selling in numbers, more people will be wanting a piece of it. But, in the short term at least, the lack of dealers will hurt sales.

EDIT: Just checked and the closest to me is 111 miles and there are 4 within 252 miles, Didn't look any further than that, but that's too far for me personally too.