Old 08-06-2013, 09:38 AM   #631
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 16,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdForged View Post
u can take a unique bike, and make it even more unique
Yeah. Just like everyone else's !

I guess we need a definition of "unique", here.

My definition of unique does not include something (anything) produced in the hundreds of thousands per year.

Yeah, I know it's tens of thousands per year for Sportsters, but there are millions of them on road...
IBA #24873
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt
rocker59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 10:09 AM   #632
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,457
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocker59 View Post

My definition of unique does not include something (anything) produced in the hundreds of thousands per year.

Yeah, I know it's tens of thousands per year for Sportsters, but there are millions of them on road...

Yeah, I know what you mean! I just hate that everyone builds the same thing over and over. I see bikes like these everywhere!

All built on the Sportster, and none, with the possible exception of the last two, beyond the average guy's ability to do in his own garage. The parts are available and the Sporty is very adaptable. The fact that you see everyone doing the same old thing over and over again is due to styling trends, group mentality, and/or lack of imagination. Has nothing to do with the bike.

Hell, even though I bucked the trends somewhat with longer suspension instead of slamming it further, a real front brake, and mid mount controls in place of the stock forwards, I'm just as guilty as the next guy. And I like this bike just the way it sits now, even though I do have dreams of building something more like something from above one day, when time and money allows.

"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Randy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 02:08 PM   #633
Krasniewski
I don't ride much.

Oddometer: 1,264
Quote:
Originally Posted by p0diabl0 View Post
Can't buy an American sportsbike/enduro/yada yada yada from any manufacturer with decent support.
Allegedly EBR is coming out with street models for under 20 grand. Still a lot of money, but they'll be very nice all around and American made.
Krasniewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 06:29 PM   #634
madeouttaglass
The AntiHarley

Oddometer: 3,626
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krasniewski View Post
Too bad bikes like the XR bombed recently. Buell... well, let's not go there.
My brother's XR was a blast. Unfortunately his bad knees didn't mix well with the bike. As for Buell- my Ulysses is one of my all time favorite bikes. Too bad more people didn't buy them.

Escape from NY- http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=955520
madeouttaglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 06:46 PM   #635
Red eyed and Rollin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
Unique

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocker59 View Post

I have an 11 XR. I believe the moco made about 1200 of them that year. That's world wide even less got imported into the US. This gets beat to death. It's a marketing issue in my opinion. Black baggers are dime a dozen. My bike bone stock is unique.
Old 08-06-2013, 07:09 PM   #636
bdonley
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by madeouttaglass View Post
My brother's XR was a blast. Unfortunately his bad knees didn't mix well with the bike.
I test rode a traded in one a couple of weeks ago. Sad to say, the same thing kept me on my 883.
bdonley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 07:15 PM   #637
NYTrainer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 145
Makes Perfect Sense...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanotti View Post
1. They are better built than people say.
2. You can choose to adapt or spurn the lifestyle.
3. Dealers are everywhere - my BMW dealer is 90 miles away, my Triumph 23 miles away.
4. About 15 Harley dealers in this range.
5. You dont have to run straight pipes, you can keep the mufflers.
6. EFI: They start and dont leak oil.
7. The switchgear is well made, fit and finish exceptional.
8. I kind of like the sound and feel.

Add yours......

Z

This is the most intelligent pro-HD opinion that I have ever
heard!

2004 DR650 Suzuki,1978 Yamaha XS750,
1981 Yamaha XS650 Street Tracker,1981 Yamaha XV920 Chain-drive
1986 Yamaha YZ490-Vintage MX project, Yamaha TW200(Girl Friend's Ride) Yamaha TDM 850
NYTrainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 11:37 PM   #638
discochris
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,354
Quote:
Originally Posted by p0diabl0 View Post
Some just want to buy American without buying a cruiser. Can't buy an American sportsbike/enduro/yada yada yada from any manufacturer with decent support.
I'm still surprised that Polaris hasn't come out with something...anything...other than a cruiser in the Victory line, or even if it were Polaris branded. Their roots are as a recreational vehicle manufacturer. Snowmoblies, ATV's, side by sides, used to make PWC's, etc. It's not like they wouldn't fit nicely into the dual sport market. I understand that cruisers make up the majority of street bikes in the US, but I've long thought that they're ignoring a market that coincides nicely with many of their other product lines.
discochris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 04:19 AM   #639
UnsureFooting
Title of User Here

Oddometer: 6,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by discochris View Post
I'm still surprised that Polaris hasn't come out with something...anything...other than a cruiser in the Victory line, or even if it were Polaris branded. Their roots are as a recreational vehicle manufacturer. Snowmoblies, ATV's, side by sides, used to make PWC's, etc. It's not like they wouldn't fit nicely into the dual sport market. I understand that cruisers make up the majority of street bikes in the US, but I've long thought that they're ignoring a market that coincides nicely with many of their other product lines.
They may not be ignoring that segment much longer.
Old 08-10-2013, 08:39 PM   #640
Nitro1970
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 191
So I read somewhere today that the road glide is going to disappear from the 2014 line up and could possibly come back with liquid cooling.... Might there be any truth to that?
Nitro1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 05:35 AM   #641
Bloodweiser
honestly

Oddometer: 2,628
Hell if I know.
But they're talking about it here
http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...=834983&page=9
Bloodweiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 07:35 AM   #642
EricD10563
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 708
Why buy a Harley becuase they make nice bikes. Geezer Glide thread http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...=845417&page=5 for those interested.
In 2009 I rode 18,589 miles on an island that's 72 miles long. That's 50 miles a day everyday for 365 days. I think I'll go home now. 97k miles and still riding http://travelwithe.com/blogengine.net/ my YouTube Channel http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTJA4CrFRY-_rvDejPct73g
EricD10563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 08:25 AM   #643
919Maniac
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 238
Interesting question and you always have to wonder if it's trolling or not since a lot of people like to hate on the MoCo.

I guess one reason to buy a Harley would be because the person wants a Harley. Since when is a motorcycle purchase about logic? I think most motorcycle purchases are about emotions and how the bike is going to make you feel. For some people Harleys evoke a time in their life, a person they knew, a trip they took, etc... There doesn't have to be a logical reason for buying a Harley.

Why buy a Camaro or Corvette? Why buy a vintage MG? Everyone would be fine driving a Corolla, it's the most logical choice for simple personal transportation but not everyone wants to drive a Corolla...

If you don't see the point of a Harley, don't buy one. I believe in freedom of choice, as long as your choices don't infringe upon the rights and privileges of others, I could care less why you are doing what you are doing or riding what you are riding....
919Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 08:26 AM   #644
Dave in Wi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krasniewski View Post
Too bad bikes like the XR bombed recently.
Before the XR came out I was really looking forward to it. Once I saw it in person, my interest fell off. I think they nailed the performance and suspension capability, but failed the styling. A "real" XR has a light, almost spidery look to it. The new XR just does not pull off the look. The fuel tank is not real, and the tank, tail and rear swing arm all just look too chunky to me. Couldn't they have done a monoshock like the track bike? More's the pity since HD is usually the king of styling.

So was this the reason it did not succeed? I think this has a lot to do with it.
1988 DT50
"Daddy, it's five o'clock sometime!"
Dave in Wi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 02:20 PM   #645
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,457
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Wi View Post
Before the XR came out I was really looking forward to it. Once I saw it in person, my interest fell off. I think they nailed the performance and suspension capability, but failed the styling. A "real" XR has a light, almost spidery look to it. The new XR just does not pull off the look. The fuel tank is not real, and the tank, tail and rear swing arm all just look too chunky to me. Couldn't they have done a monoshock like the track bike? More's the pity since HD is usually the king of styling.

So was this the reason it did not succeed? I think this has a lot to do with it.

I tend to agree. At least for me. While I've never ridden one, from what I've read I think the performance would have satisfied me just fine. But, the styling just didn't do it for me either.

Now, something like this would have been very different...

"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Randy is online now   Reply With Quote