Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2013, 01:38 PM   #631
p0diabl0
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 542
Quote:
Originally Posted by davevv View Post
What I get from this type of comment is that no matter how much these folks deride H-D, they still want to buy a motorcycle that says Harley-Davidson on the nameplate. Otherwise, they would just go buy their KLR, dirtbike, sport tourer, etc., and not bother complaining that they couldn't get one from Harley.
Some just want to buy American without buying a cruiser. Can't buy an American sportsbike/enduro/yada yada yada from any manufacturer with decent support.
p0diabl0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 01:46 PM   #632
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by p0diabl0 View Post
Some just want to buy American without buying a cruiser. Can't buy an American sportsbike/enduro/yada yada yada from any manufacturer with decent support.
That's a valid point. But I guess not enough people want to buy and American bike just because it's American. ATK failed, Cannondale failed, Buell failed (although that may have had a lot to do with HD influence). Cruisers do sell well in the US though. Well enough that we now have three American manufacturers, and all the Japanese, trying to get a piece of the pie. But for something else, now there's Motus... if only for the very well heeled....
"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 02:34 PM   #633
ADK
abluted

Oddometer: 8,160
Cool2

Randy, you seem very reasonable so when you take the 48 in for service take a test ride on one of the touring models and give us your impression.
ADK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 02:56 PM   #634
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADK View Post
Randy, you seem very reasonable so when you take the 48 in for service take a test ride on one of the touring models and give us your impression.
Nah. I'm afraid my impression would be biased. They're just really not my cup of tea at all. At least not at this point in life. I have never been attracted to a cruiser before. In fact, when I first saw a 48 like mine, it was the ONLY bike in the place that even caught my eye. I'm not crazy about the styling on the touring models, and I don't want a bike that big, heavy, and with floorboards just yet. I was never a cruiser guy. And actually, with the exception of just a few Sportsters, I'm still not. I could probably be objective in a test ride, IF I had a point of reference and was comparing it to, say, a new Indian or something similar. But, I really don't want to trouble them, and put miles on a new bike that I know I have no interest in at all.

I am hoping they'll have a used frame mount Sporty, however. I've never been to this dealership before so I have no idea what sort of used selection they stock. But, I'm really wanting to do a project Sportster one day and the frame mount has a few advantages for what I want to build. Vibration seems to be rather subjective and I'd like to see for myself how the frame mount compares to my rubber mount. If they have a frame mount 1200 of any type I will ask for a ride on it for that reason alone.
"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Old 08-05-2013, 04:58 PM   #635
sixspeed
15 under Adventurer

Oddometer: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADK View Post
You should just go and ask to take one yourself.

Go to each local dealer and ask and ride different versions.

I did that about 15 or 20 (honest) times before I bought... and I just realized I didn't get put on a single mailing list over any test rides.

Love or hate HD's, I wish car dealers would be so un-annoying with test rides and spamming you with snail mail after getting your DL info as HD dealers are.

Rob 2010 WR250R 2011 FLHP
sixspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 05:11 PM   #636
ADK
abluted

Oddometer: 8,160
I've been to Americade quite a few times and ridden a lot of bikes from many manufacturers.
ADK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 05:39 PM   #637
ColdForged
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Why buy a harley? Because u can take a unique bike, and make it even more unique with a simple seat swap and tank swap. This bike was a great tool for developing my taste for what I want. Panic breaking and lack of ABS made this bike eat pavement, and I feel terrible. However, I broke my shoulder and the bike is almost fixed so I will trade it for my next taste. Why buy a harley? Because I think everyone should own one at least once in their life.

Devil's Tower in Wyoming.
ColdForged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 09:33 AM   #638
Krasniewski
I don't ride much.

Oddometer: 1,149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dranrab Luap View Post
Sad that they are narrowly focused and do a tremendous job within that relatively narrow focus?
Too bad bikes like the XR bombed recently. Buell... well, let's not go there.
Krasniewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 09:38 AM   #639
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,533
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdForged View Post
u can take a unique bike, and make it even more unique
Yeah. Just like everyone else's !

I guess we need a definition of "unique", here.

My definition of unique does not include something (anything) produced in the hundreds of thousands per year.

Yeah, I know it's tens of thousands per year for Sportsters, but there are millions of them on road...
IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 10:09 AM   #640
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocker59 View Post

My definition of unique does not include something (anything) produced in the hundreds of thousands per year.

Yeah, I know it's tens of thousands per year for Sportsters, but there are millions of them on road...

Yeah, I know what you mean! I just hate that everyone builds the same thing over and over. I see bikes like these everywhere!

All built on the Sportster, and none, with the possible exception of the last two, beyond the average guy's ability to do in his own garage. The parts are available and the Sporty is very adaptable. The fact that you see everyone doing the same old thing over and over again is due to styling trends, group mentality, and/or lack of imagination. Has nothing to do with the bike.

Hell, even though I bucked the trends somewhat with longer suspension instead of slamming it further, a real front brake, and mid mount controls in place of the stock forwards, I'm just as guilty as the next guy. And I like this bike just the way it sits now, even though I do have dreams of building something more like something from above one day, when time and money allows.

Old 08-06-2013, 02:08 PM   #641
Krasniewski
I don't ride much.

Oddometer: 1,149
Quote:
Originally Posted by p0diabl0 View Post
Can't buy an American sportsbike/enduro/yada yada yada from any manufacturer with decent support.
Allegedly EBR is coming out with street models for under 20 grand. Still a lot of money, but they'll be very nice all around and American made.
Krasniewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 06:29 PM   #642
madeouttaglass
The AntiHarley

Oddometer: 3,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krasniewski View Post
Too bad bikes like the XR bombed recently. Buell... well, let's not go there.
My brother's XR was a blast. Unfortunately his bad knees didn't mix well with the bike. As for Buell- my Ulysses is one of my all time favorite bikes. Too bad more people didn't buy them.

Escape from NY- http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=955520
madeouttaglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 06:46 PM   #643
Red eyed and Rollin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
Unique

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocker59 View Post

I have an 11 XR. I believe the moco made about 1200 of them that year. That's world wide even less got imported into the US. This gets beat to death. It's a marketing issue in my opinion. Black baggers are dime a dozen. My bike bone stock is unique.
Old 08-06-2013, 07:09 PM   #644
bdonley
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by madeouttaglass View Post
My brother's XR was a blast. Unfortunately his bad knees didn't mix well with the bike.
I test rode a traded in one a couple of weeks ago. Sad to say, the same thing kept me on my 883.
bdonley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 07:15 PM   #645
NYTrainer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 140
Makes Perfect Sense...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanotti View Post
1. They are better built than people say.
2. You can choose to adapt or spurn the lifestyle.
3. Dealers are everywhere - my BMW dealer is 90 miles away, my Triumph 23 miles away.
4. About 15 Harley dealers in this range.
5. You dont have to run straight pipes, you can keep the mufflers.
6. EFI: They start and dont leak oil.
7. The switchgear is well made, fit and finish exceptional.
8. I kind of like the sound and feel.

Add yours......

Z

This is the most intelligent pro-HD opinion that I have ever
heard!

2004 DR650 Suzuki,1978 Yamaha XS750,
1981 Yamaha XS650 Street Tracker,1981 Yamaha XV920 Chain-drive
1986 Yamaha YZ490-Vintage MX project, Yamaha TW200(Girl Friend's Ride) Yamaha TDM 850
NYTrainer is offline   Reply With Quote