Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Face plant
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2013, 11:25 PM   #16
CSI
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 393
Glad you came out of it ok.......we most definitely were having some serious gusts here in Topeka today.
CSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:35 AM   #17
stevie88
That's gotta hurt

Oddometer: 17,818
Saturday was a very nasty day here in west Texas. The sky was brown with blowing dust, visibility was under 1 mile.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:11 AM   #18
ikonoklass
Kountersteering Krew

Oddometer: 2,601
I'm thinking wind was involved.
ikonoklass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:18 AM   #19
Der Alte Motorrader
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by efria View Post
I know what you mean. A couple of summers back, I went around the US on my 1200GS. The single worst day of riding I had was going through the crosswinds in Kansas - full on white knuckle. The big GS is a great bike, but it does not handle well in wind.
...Try doing it on a cruiser with solid wheels....
Der Alte Motorrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:25 AM   #20
Wlfman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,288
Man that Blows.

Sorry couldn't resist. Glad you were able to walk away from it. Hope the insurance company does you right.

Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the people who are doing it."
"Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and JUST BE HAPPY."
Wlfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:46 AM   #21
Bill 310
Poser Emeritus

Oddometer: 3,007
I have ridden cross country quite a few times and have experienced some bad cross winds. On I90 I saw a tractor trailer get flown across the medium and I have now learned that the gusts being invisible are completely random and that one's riding style can only do so much to protect oneself in these situations.

I have pulled off the road and hidden in a culvert, found an abandoned building to use as a wind-block and hidden under many an underpass (there are safety issues in doing this and never lift your face shield when vehicles are passing inside and once in the prairies ridden into a dry low ditch and stopped and leaned my bike agains the side of the windward side of the ditch.

I typically ride dual sports and find the bags and windshield make really good sails.

The overcorrection from gripping the bars too hard makes it worse/ I installed a Scott's Steering Stabilizer on my KTM 990 on a cross country trip in heavy cross winds the bike was much calmer.I am dreaming of the day when a Scott's is available for the Tenere.

My K1200GT handles better after I ditched the BMW top box and began using a soft bag. I always lower the windshield all the way in heavy wind.

If you are riding in big winds and don't have a gas gauge cut your normal range by 40%

I am glad you are all right
Canada "It's a rough place, son. In fact, you have to puke twice and show your razor just to get in. Better grow some whiskers if you wanna go to Canada." Ronnie Hawkins when asking Levon Helm to join his band and play in Canada.
Bill 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:14 AM   #22
blacktruck
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 164
Thumb Hmmmm....funny that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by baloneyskin daddy View Post
He was gettin blown and ran into the median.
I didn't think I took it quite like that when I read through the first time but it does make for a hell of a lot better story that way....
Ride on man.....
Old 02-11-2013, 09:50 AM   #23
astroguy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmk999 View Post
I was riding in Vt a few years ago early winter on my F-bike and a gust came along
My now sold F650gs was the only bike that ever did this. It was a strong wind gust coming into my front right. My front tire slipped sideways 2" or so then immediately straightened up. Scared the hell out of me. Sold it and bought a bike that is 100lb heavier!
astroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:01 AM   #24
ronandkat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
Glad your O.k, but thats dang scary. I look for deer, unattentive drivers, hidden driveways, loose wash on the road, etc.. I didnt pay much attention to wind warnings But I will now. Funny a few days ago riding home from the office it was Very windy, and I remeber thinking about how unfun it was getting bounced around. I think part of it was the fact I had on thicker clothes, insulated jacket that was bigger, etc.. made me more of a sail than a typical summer ride.
ronandkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:12 AM   #25
ozmoses
Ride On

Oddometer: 2,830
Quote:
Originally Posted by viverrid View Post
He got blown into the median. Then he hit a crossover for emergency vehicles.....

Is there a thread you don't shit in?

AFAIK, this is a place for those who crashed to tell their tale for (hopefully) the benefit of others.

Wind can produce some interesting riding as I learned living in the Plains once upon a time. The only effective tactic I found was to decrease speed. Of course, sometimes the best option is to pull off and regroup.

Be thankful it's only the GS whcih was damaged, not you!
Old 02-11-2013, 12:41 PM   #26
MOzarkRider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 96
I have experienced the high winds that can whip across the KC landscape. Even when leaning against the wind it feels like the bike can flip out from under you at any minute. Worst experience on a motorcycle yet was in the high winds. Glad to hear your ok.
05' Triumph Sprint ST
http://www.xjrider.com/
MOzarkRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:56 PM   #27
squonker
Eat my shorts

Oddometer: 3,970
I hate riding in strong winds - takes all the fun out of it in my opinion. It is about the only time I would rather not ride.

Glad you're ok and hope you're back in the saddle in no time!

Ride Report: Canada North to South 2008 here
Drive Report: Ice Road Trucking 2005-2014 here

squonker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:46 AM   #28
Mobiker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,572
Glad you walked away. Bikes can be replaced.
The new cable barriers make me a little nervous. In some places they aren't even in the median, they're at the edge of the left hand shoulder. Not much margin for error.

There are several factors that affect the way a bike handles wind. A heavier bike is not necessarily better than a lighter bike. If all it took was more weight, you'd never see a semi blown over.

I was riding across Kansas on a two lane on a '91 Harley FXRP one time when a storm blew in. The gusts were shoving me from one edge of the road to the other. Definitely puckered me up. The worst wind I've been in on a bike. I had no doubt I would end up in the ditch if I didn't find a place to get off the road. Fortunately I found a small cemetery to pull off in and managed to wait out the storm.
"If I was in a hurry, I'd left earlier."
Mobiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:10 AM   #29
jachard
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 603
OP, First off, glad you are ok!

Regarding insurance, someone made a good point about the "Act of God" clause, this is the ins companies new get out of jail free card.

If I were you, I'd delete this thread until you get a settlement. At least here in the Northeast, they are using every tool they can to deny claims. Not trying to scare you, just don't want to see you get burned, especially since this is your only mode of transport.

Cheers, James

http://octaneworks.wordpress.com/
jachard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:28 AM   #30
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,880
I hate riding in rain; I really hate riding in significant cross winds. Wind scares me more than anything.