Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Face plant
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2013, 11:34 AM   #31
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Oddometer: 30,863
Thanks for sharing your story. I am glad you emerged unscathed.
Dranrab Luap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:21 PM   #32
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,327
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobiker View Post
The new cable barriers make me a little nervous. In some places they aren't even in the median, they're at the edge of the left hand shoulder. Not much margin for error.
Every time I look at them, all I see is a tomato slicer. I hope I never learn if they're as dangerous as they look.
troidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:23 PM   #33
Avi8tor
ADV Poser

Oddometer: 218
Good topic to bring up. Glad you made it through OK. Where in KC did this happen?

You know its bad when they just drag it up on the flatbed on its side.
Avi8tor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:38 PM   #34
Casey.
Nerd on a bike

Oddometer: 70
I had my first experience with vicious crosswinds on my bike this past weekend. My bike and I only make a combined 480lbs. I respect wind much more after that - it was miserable. After hearing this from an experienced rider, I'll turn around sooner next time.
Good to hear you walked away.
Old 02-12-2013, 01:28 PM   #35
DirtReeper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 508
OP glad youre ok. and EFFFFF the wind, i ride in it quite often here in S. UT. always seems to make the ride less fun.
DirtReeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:53 PM   #36
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 7,255
For sure, high, gusty winds is the most nerve-tweaking is the most nerve-tweaking riding I can think of. Wind can be so unpredictable-- you can't tell when, where and how hard it going to hit. Fortunately, here in the Southeast we don't have the sustained high winds like you have out on the Plains so we have only limited chances to practice. I'm trying to get into the mindset of "unusual happenings" for when I start doing transcon rides in a couple of years so these Faceplant mishaps are useful.

SiouxsieCat, sorry that you broke the bike, but glad that you walked away...

--Bill
Old 02-12-2013, 03:52 PM   #37
KilLeR Kawasaki
Marky A

Oddometer: 948
Quote:
Originally Posted by jachard View Post
OP, First off, glad you are ok!

Regarding insurance, someone made a good point about the "Act of God" clause, this is the ins companies new get out of jail free card.

If I were you, I'd delete this thread until you get a settlement. At least here in the Northeast, they are using every tool they can to deny claims. Not trying to scare you, just don't want to see you get burned, especially since this is your only mode of transport.

Cheers, James
I've hear people say God is either everything, or he/she/it is nothing. The "Act of God" clause should either put the big hand in every accident, or none.
Colorado Dual Sport Riders
KilLeR Kawasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:11 PM   #38
SimpleSimon
Aspiring advrider

Oddometer: 3,389
Learning to counter-steer is a good thing....leaning doesn't always help. Meaning, leaning isn't always enough. And sometimes, there is absolutely nothing that you can do to fight it other than pull over. My F650 was the worst and I was actually blown off the road despite leaning and counter-steering with MUCH force.

Thankful you are still around to talk about it!

"Assembled Spectator Scoring With Incriminating Photographic Evidence" or A.S.S.W.I.P.E. - Granparacer
SimpleSimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 05:50 PM   #39
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 7,255
After many years of using a large barndoor type of fairing (a Windjammer) I swapped it for a more aerodynamic fairing (a Hannigan) and the first thing I noticed was that with the Hannigan I need to make subtle countersteering corrections in strong winds whereas with the Windjammer I needed to make more substantial "body english" (Lean) corrections. So it seems that the fairing (or windshield) has a lot to do with wind stability. I've not driven a bike with a fork-mounted windshield for any amount of time and not in the wind, so I have no idea how that type of windshield will fare in the wind.

--Bill

Bill Harris screwed with this post 02-12-2013 at 05:56 PM
Bill Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:26 PM   #40
fourthree
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Glad you didn't get wound up in those cable barriers that our state has seen fit to install to dismember anyone or anything that happens to end up in the median. I really wanted to ride Sunday, but that wind was just too much. Ma Nature ain't no bitch to mess with.
fourthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:33 PM   #41
SiouxsieCat OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmithy View Post
Where in KC did this happen?
Northbound I-435, between Cabelas and Parkville. Whole lot of nothing up there. Missouri side right after crossing the river.
http://goo.gl/maps/3TmlE (Google maps) You can see the emergency vehicle crossover right after the bridge. That's what I hit. Wind was from ESE.

Thank you everyone for the kind thoughts. Sore ankle and right thumb on Monday; right as rain today.
SiouxsieCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:01 PM   #42
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,327
For those of you with not much Great Plains experience, subtle changes in terrain can make a big difference in felt crosswind. If the wind is particularly brutal, pay attention to the undulations ahead of you on the windward side. If you're in an area of relative calm because of a parallel rise upwind of you, beware if you see a perpendicular road cut coming up, especially for an underpass. When you get to it, you'll get a concentrated wind blast that can mess up your whole day. The same holds true for breaks in hedgerows, Jersey barriers, and other things you normally might not think about in less windy areas. The Flint Hills can be especially unpredictable, because there are curves and elevation changes that cause felt wind to vary substantially from one mile to the next.
troidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:46 PM   #43
hajime
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 196
Great thread. Gusts are the most difficult to deal with, so I appreciate the comments. It is especially nice to read that slowing down is a good idea. Another problem I have is with head winds. They can be very tiring. I have found that my neck just can't take that for a full day.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:02 PM   #44
Danjal
Insert wit here.

Oddometer: 2,594
Quote:
Originally Posted by baloneyskin daddy View Post
He was gettin blown and ran into the median.
She's definitely a keeper if that's the case.

Glad you're ok.
Danjal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:20 AM   #45
Steve G.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,711
As far as crazy gusty winds, I've never experienced a worse section of road than along the Columbia Gorge on the Washington State side of the Columbia River, between Umatilla and The Dalles. The afternoons are worst, when heat driven updrafts play along the cliff walls.
It's no wonder this is the windsurfing capital of North America.
Steve G. is offline   Reply With Quote