Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Face plant
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2014, 10:36 AM   #91
Proveick
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,215
I'm a bit perplexed. Drove 10's of thousands of miles in northern MT and southern AB. 40 - 70 mph wind gusts and never had an issue.
Rode both a 750F and Goldwing and never got blown off the road.
I've never heard of such a thing.
Old 03-19-2014, 01:11 PM   #92
VStromNC
DNS/DNF

Oddometer: 791
I saw this on the news just Monday.

http://www.ktvb.com/video/featured-v...250702741.html
Old 03-19-2014, 01:15 PM   #93
Proveick
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,215
Semis blow over fairly regularly in Coutts / Sweetgrass MT. Even have pics of them in the bar(s).
Old 03-19-2014, 01:18 PM   #94
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,799
so how did you come out with insurance company?

did they try to deny claim due to act of god clause?

they pay for high winds claims for property insurance.
_cy_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 05:45 PM   #95
riverflow
Adventurous Commuter

Oddometer: 661
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiouxsieCat View Post
I'm thinking I've got a 500 lb bike here, it can't blow me off the f'ing road. Mother nature takes no prisoners.
My family was driving to Oklahoma a couple years ago and the wind blew us about 10 feet from the right lane to the left lane. We were in a mini-van that probably weighed around 5,000 lbs loaded up. Glad we (or anyone else) weren't in the left lane to start with xD

Sorry to hear about your bike, but glad you're OK.

"There is no such thing as bad weather, only the wrong clothes" ~ Billy Connolly.
riverflow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 08:04 PM   #96
Dark Helmet
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 663
Three years ago I was doing a fly and ride in January from Denver to Atlanta on a GSA. I forget the name of the pass I came over at dusk as I was heading to Texas (maybe through a sing part of NM). A beautiful view coming down off the mountain, but when I hit the plain at the bottom the wind was howling out of the north as I was heading east. I was hugging the center line but would regularly Get blown to the very edge of the pavement. Since the bike was new to me I probably want as in control as I would normally be, but I just was getting pushed at the mercy of the wind.
Suzuki DRZ 400S
Dark Helmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 10:11 PM   #97
toy4fun
GET out of the way

Oddometer: 339
Crappy BMWs why can't they make those things more aerodynamic instead of eurodynamic? Good to see people walking away from any accident!
toy4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 11:35 PM   #98
carockwell
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 234
The dynamics of cross gusts on motorcycles are fairly simple and quite devastating. When a gust approaches from your left you must lean the bike to the left by turning the front wheel to right, also known as countersteering. The problem is that the windpressure prevents the bike from leaning to the left. The front wheel is still turned to the right so your bike proceeds off the road to the right.It appears as if the bike was blown off the road when in reality it was steered off the road. I am not sure if there is anything you can do about it once caught in the gust. Trying to lean into the wind just steers the bike off the road faster.
In my studied opinion, a 60 mph cross gust is about as much as most bikes can withstand. I know there are plenty of people who say they can ride in 80 mph winds. They are probably poor judges of wind speed and just because the weather report says winds were up to 80 mph does not mean that an 80 mph gust crossed their bike on that day. I only say this because they make it sound like you can ride through anything. That is complete cap and there simply comes a time when you can't get there on two wheels. Hang it up or you can become a statistic.
carockwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 01:05 AM   #99
kj7687
Uncle Sally

Oddometer: 346
Thumb Sorry to hear of your misfortune

Glad you're ok! I've ridden in some gnarly on-off crosswinds like you describe. It's like being in a race - requires all of your focus to make sure you're ready to adjust. I can totally see this happening if it caught you off guard. I had a moment one time on my Ninja 500 where it actually blew me a couple feet over. Luckily I was prepared for it, keeping the bike center-lane, and leaned down on the bike (to reduce the effect of the cross wind) and into it, and was ok. Well you know what they say man. This didn't kill you, so now you are stronger!
Old 03-23-2014, 02:34 AM   #100
bush pilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,492
I think high winds is one of the scariest variables we motorcyclists face routinely. Glad the OP walked away and now has a nice new bike.
The USA has many very challenging windy areas IME, many already mentioned.
But by far the scariest I've ever encountered was in Argentine Patagonia on ruta 40 near Esquel: on a heavily loaded KLR650 I was down to first gear to maintain road contact, and it was like riding a barn door through an Oklahoma thunderstorm. I was barely to keep the bike on the road, I couldn't stop or I'd be blown over. I stopped in the lee of some parked semi-trailers who were waiting out the wind, they all agreed "viento muy malo"! It was so bad it made me physically exhausted/ill fighting it, but where I was I had to keep pushing on.
Rule of thumb for me in dealing with hideously windy conditions: slow the fuck down!
I think it was the Colombia river gorge which even came close to the horrors of riding through Patagonia. Most of us who have been through there pretty much all agree that that was the worst.

Anyway lesson to be learned, no matter what you are riding slow way down for the nasty winds.
I think the OP was pretty lucky to walk away from his misfortune.
I also ride an R1100GS though some nasty stuff here in Thailand but I think the heavy planted feel of the big GS might give one some unwarranted confidence in wind. While I was battling the wind in Patagonia I was wishing for my GS constantly. I'm really not sure the GS would have helped much.
Anyway cheers com-padres.
I got some intense wind stories flying airplanes in AK and NM but not really moto related, like when flying a C188A(agwagon) in Moriarty, NM; the wind was so strong down the runway I couldn't turn off on to the taxiway to the parking. I had to take off again and hover the airplane down over the parking spot.
Iron Butt #35784

bush pilot screwed with this post 03-23-2014 at 02:50 AM
bush pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 09:13 AM   #101
DJacobsen5116
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
Late '66 heading West on I-90 crossing the Columbia River at Vantage. I don't know how strong the wind was, don't care. The wind moved me across both lanes almost into the middle divider so quickly that I didn't even react until afterwards. Had the shakes so bad that I could hardly control the 305 Super Hawk I was riding. I stopped in Vantage at the little cafe and stayed put until the wind died down later in the afternoon.

I've never heard any mention of the effects of sudden gusts of wind in any MSF class I have taken. It is mentioned in a number of books but never in a class.
DJacobsen5116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 09:29 AM   #102
backroadbob.com
Roads Scholar

Oddometer: 231
A Texas Tornado

Crosswinds? Rode through plenty of 'em, but only rode through one Texas Tornado. This is what happens. At this gas station an old-timer asked if I'd seen the tornado. I told him, "Seen it? Hell, I just rode through it!".

New Motorcycle Adventure Website <www.backroadbob.com> Featuring a Four-Decade Distillation of Motorcycling in 38 American States, Five Canadian Provinces, Five National Forests, Ten Pennsylvania State Forests, and Eight Foreign Countries.http://www.backroadbob.com
backroadbob.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 10:44 AM   #103
ColdWater
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Glad you came out all right in the end!
Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDirt View Post
I was taught to stick your windward knee out to act like a sail. Works very well in cross winds. http://faq.f650.com/FAQs/RidingTipsF...0a%20Crosswind
THIS.
It really won't help for those sudden gusts. But for those constant side winds it does.
Old 04-21-2014, 11:17 AM   #104
Little Bike
Air/Clutz Sue

Oddometer: 1,231
HATE strong crosswinds!

Interstate 10 on the way to Palm Springs passes through an area windy enough to have a wind farm. It's not too bad because the wind is at your back or coming at you. BUT, if you exit the 10 and take the road up to Yucca Valley, you're at a right angle to the wind Last time I visited family up there I ended up riding slowly on the shoulder because I was getting blown all over my lane and was terrified I was going to be leaving my lane soon.

V-Strom 650 Adventure "Maxwell"
DR-Z400s "Little Donkey2"
Little Bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 11:22 AM   #105
Mituk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 227
The worst wind I've encountered as crossing the Columbia river on I-90. At that point, you are pretty high up over the river and the gorge is very large -- a big funnel. Gusts of what seemed like 50+mph would come out of every direction and beat you back and forth. The side rails on the bridge were very low - 2' or so - which added to the feeling of being up there without a rope. I was VERY glad to have made it without incident - thought about pushing the bike across, but there was virtually no shoulder, and no safe way to do it.
Coming back I crossed the river down in Richland . . . . much better.
Wind definitely makes things interesting!
'99 R1100RT
Mituk is offline   Reply With Quote