-

Frederic_Shiffer screwed with this post 06-09-2014 at 03:06 AM
Frederic_Shiffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:06 AM   #2
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,825
Fredrick,
I can't answer your question because I have only 2700 km and a month and a half on my 2012 Ural and nothing has broken so far (knock on wood). Other's here or on Soviet Steeds ( http://www.sovietsteeds.com ) can answer your questions.

EDIT: One thing I just thought of is the stock air filter has caused some problems with getting clogged up with dust so a K&N or a modified air cleaner box might be a good idea.
See threads here and on SS for solutions.
2014 Ice Bear PBZ110-1P Z50 clone monkey sidecar
2014 Sky Team MC-D34 CT70 clone

Barnone screwed with this post 02-12-2013 at 11:25 AM
Barnone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:33 AM   #3
twintwin
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 635
Ask U Bear, he is right now in France, recovering from a bad health issue over last summer. He was traveling in Africa on his Ural 2WD last year, and planning to resume his journey as soon as he will get the green light from his doctor.
http://thetimelessride.com/US/WhereisHubert.html
twintwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:39 AM   #4
Montague
UDF Adventurer

Oddometer: 653
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederic_Shiffer View Post
Hi guys,

I am planning to take a Ural Sidecar to a rough trip through Afric (25 000kms approx).
Probably a 2 wheel drive to be able to get through some congolese mud roads and other nice such activities.

What breaks first on an Ural ?
Would you have any general recommandations ?

Cheers !!!
As already suggested, let Hubert be your guide, he has done much of the world by Ural and knows what works and doesn't.

The guy is amazing.

A Brit named Billy once said something silly; he so wrongly concluded that Ural deluded.
Montague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:34 PM   #5
usgser
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,995
Break it in correctly before you leave and then keep up on the required servicing on schedule. You've got lotsa stowage room so pack vital fluids. Don't rely on just any old local avail vegetable oil. Carry any tools, spares, maint parts you would for other bike on a trip like that. If'n were me I'd also pack a spare driveshaft donut. Not that you should need it on a new bike but if it goes south on you it's a show stopper till the plane or camel arrives with a replacement. It's small and stows easily.
usgser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:07 PM   #6
Warin
Retired

Oddometer: 1,701
1) Set up a good source of parts (dealer) who will send you things quickly. They need to have a great stock of parts and quick access to what ever they don't have. Leave your credit card details with them so all you have to do is ring/email them with what you need and where to send them - no card details so you can do it over a public network without worries.

2) Think about your regular service needs. Try to set these up so you do them all at one time, not a bit here then later another bit there. I find a day working on the bike better than smaller bits here and there. Depends on what you like?

3) Air filter ... I'd set up a prefilter - so it traps most of the dust/bugs/rocks - a dry one that you can just pull off from the out side and shake to clean. This way after a dusty/dirty day you can quickly pull off the prefilters shake and reinstall, removing 80% of the dirt. Then a filter sock that goes over the normal airfilter - that you can also pull off and separately clean.

I'd be looking on HU for info http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/

Good luck, you'll have fun.
Warin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 05:25 PM   #7
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,193
I agree ,you should read Hubert's story including his preparation of the rig before leaving and the additional mods and repairs along the way.
From his experiences it certainly looks like the rig is up to it, if you keep up with the maintainance and are prepared to deal with more severe problems, at any time.
bk brkr baker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:13 AM   #8
Wolfgang55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,318
Simple & tough is the Ural

I believe you may have selected the best MC & sidecar, OTD combination. Might consider a color other than the military selections. No doubt you will encounter the lowest of the low during road block stops. Some will be official & others only to collect your ''spare change''. Your first impression will go far.

As suggested carry tools but equally important is to have your own special tools. The splines will need attention before they begin making noise. Keep handy a little hand grease gun & a 7-10 mm long needle to inject grease into the many grooves on both of your shafts spline.

Vent the FD high & have a filter to restrict dust/water from entering.

Get your carbs jetted right & keep fuel filters in line. Would seggest you have a few thousand kms on the clock before you take off .

Others will add in their pet areas of concern. This (ours) is a 2011 GU, our second Ural 2wd. 4-5 years apart they are & the latest is showing many great leaps in factory improvements. At near 10,000 km we have had no issues which could not be handled simply & w/o drama. After all it is a Ural .
Wolfgang55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:40 AM   #9
MotoJ
Mobtown Hacker

Oddometer: 1,086
Somewhere on here is a short thread- oh, a post or two, about a guy who was riding his Ural rig on a trip in Asia and had a few problems. I forget his name. Begins with a B, I think.....
Old 02-14-2013, 11:29 AM   #10
Montague
UDF Adventurer

Oddometer: 653
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoJ View Post
Somewhere on here is a short thread- oh, a post or two, about a guy who was riding his Ural rig on a trip in Asia and had a few problems. I forget his name. Begins with a B, I think.....
......and the room goes silent as all conversation ceases with a sharp intake of collective breath....

A Brit named Billy once said something silly; he so wrongly concluded that Ural deluded.
Montague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 02:43 AM   #11
Thermos
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 237
What breaks first on a Ural?

Depends on the Ural.

Mine liked to break rear brake springs. Some people drive coupler"doughnuts".

Bring extra air filters for sure, as the dust will stop you(swap out and clean filter later when you make camp).

Bring all items that are unique to the Ural.

Cables, doughnut, (extra air filters, maybe not unique but do it), CV joints(I could see those going with the sand and mud)

-T
Thermos is offline   Reply With Quote